Multi 23 Questions

My wife and I just sold our Corsair/Farrier F28r and are looking for something smaller.  The 28r was a great boat, but we only used it for day sails and we wanted to get something that would allow us to get rid of our full sized pickup. Our wish list was 1,000 lbs or less and a self tacking jib. We want a tri so our dogs don't slide off.

I am thinking the Multi 23 might work but have some questions for the experts here:

Can my wife and I assemble this ourselves - about how heavy are the amas and beams? We had no trouble with the 28r, but the Farrier system was pretty sorted. We would assemble once and leave in the water till fall.  If it takes a few hours that is fine; we just don't want to hurt ourselves.

How easy is the main to raise without winches?  The main on the 28r was a chore - I added a 2 to 1 halyard and with liberal use of mclube could raise by hand except for the last 6 to 12 inches.

With a proper barrier coat can these be kept on a mooring? We live in upstate NY so it would be in the water for about 4 or 5 months per year.

Anything else we should be aware of?

Thanks!

The Multi 23 sounds perfect for what you need now. I had one a few years ago when I was already an old geezer and had no problem assembling it alone. The parts are all light and with the proper assembly stands can be managed by one but with two it’s a piece  of cake. It does take time though as the bolts attaching the beams to the main hull are really awkward to get at.  Lot’s of fiddly bits but assembly for the season, totally worth it. A really fun boat for single or double handing. Can be sailed with more but it is great for one or two. 

D Wayne is right.  1001 pounds rated weight.  The beams and ama hulls are light. My wife and I could easily handle.

However, we didn't have a good setup for mast raising. That needs to be figured out. The boom and mainsheet purchase should be able to be used as a gin-pole, but you need a way to keep everything aligned. We didn't really bother as we have hoists available.

Mainsail was fine to raise. already a 2:1. No winch needed.

I kept mine in the water. I believe that boat is for sale again, in Ventura, has faded red beams. 

56 minutes ago, PeterGould said:

My wife and I just sold our Corsair/Farrier F28r and are looking for something smaller.  The 28r was a great boat, but we only used it for day sails and we wanted to get something that would allow us to get rid of our full sized pickup. Our wish list was 1,000 lbs or less and a self tacking jib. We want a tri so our dogs don't slide off.

I am thinking the Multi 23 might work but have some questions for the experts here:

If you can find a SeaRail 19, it is under 1000 pounds with a self tacker and no boom--total tow package less than 1500 pounds (light trailer).  Good boat for just one or two people (I single hand mine).  Comes with 2:1 halyard and hoisting is easy after replacing oversized boltrope and halyard that came with the boat.  However, no cabin to speak of (coffin cabin at best).  Multi 23 is certainly faster and roomier, though.   When it first came out I drooled over it as a replacement for my F242.  However, I do mostly day sails (as you did with your F28r), so the mounting/demounting hurdle was off putting.

I owned a 23 for maybe 5 -6 years.  I don't think the red- hulled one is still in Vent ura.  Not in the yard for a couple years.  Everything DWG said is true, especially the awkward placement of the bolts.  Raising the main is easy enough, easier than an F28. Sailing the boat is quite fun, except when it breaks, which on mine was often.  The red-hulled one was very well built but had a super heavy mast.  Easy enough to make a gin pole.  If it's on a mooring it'll be sailing and possibly flying around a lot.  Even tied to the dock it is a wild pony, partially due to the excess dyhedral.  It will be all over the place and painting the bottoms might be a mess.  I kept mine mast up on a rotted trailer and recommend that if you can do so.  Assembly for 2 with fitted supports for hulls and gymnastic ability is 2-3 hours.

Honestly, look at the SeaRail 19 if you want a self tacker. Very well priced. Another option is any offering from Astus, seems to fit your requirements of a day sailor quite nicely. 

Or the Pulse 600 if you want to stay in the well thought out family of Corsair, you can always add a self tacker (I looked into this option and it's very possible and relatively cheap to add one). 

The reason for this suggestion over the M23 is that all of these both fold, so you don't have to break your back taking them apart at the end of your season. More importantly though, they are MUCH more well rounded... The M23 is fantastic at reaching, pretty crap at everything else.

Not sure if you know, but the M23 has a very large dihedral that makes it like a wild horse when on a mooring AND heels pretty heavily when going upwind. I would bet some money that your dogs would definitely slide off an M32 going upwind. 

17 hours ago, PeterGould said:

Our wish list was 1,000 lbs or less and a self tacking jib.

The Bierig Camber Spar is half a wishbone boom inserted into a sail and allowed to rotate around its long axis.  One application is to make self-taking jibs, as shown in the attached picture.  I have no experience with it myself.  I did read a discussion in a cruising forum, where reports were positive.  Because a self-tacking jib made with a camber spar should not need a traveller, you may be able to choose from a wider range of designs.

Camber Spar.jpg

Self tackers work nicely, especially with a curved track.  That and most of the other rigging on the m23 work well.  I will say, though, that releasing and pulling in a sheet when tacking on a small boat are pretty painless for the most part.  There is the occasional hang up but that can happen with the self-tacker too.  I was doing the release and pull routine on my L7 yesterday, with a jib that doesn't require lots of winching it's pretty darn easy.  And remember, I'm so lazy I sail my Nacra unirigged cuz I'm too tepid to mess with raising/lowering the jib.

17 hours ago, Floating Duck said:

Honestly, look at the SeaRail 19 if you want a self tacker. Very well priced. Another option is any offering from Astus, seems to fit your requirements of a day sailor quite nicely. 

Or the Pulse 600 if you want to stay in the well thought out family of Corsair, you can always add a self tacker (I looked into this option and it's very possible and relatively cheap to add one). 

The reason for this suggestion over the M23 is that all of these both fold, so you don't have to break your back taking them apart at the end of your season. 

I seriously considered an M23 (and Diam 24) before settling on a Farrier design, and I'm SOOOOOO thankful for Ian's ingenious folding mechanism which makes the boat so much quicker and easier to launch and retrieve, and also fit in a monohull-sized slip if visiting another club for a regatta.

Of course it's much less of an issue if you plan to leave the boat in the water for the season and sail off the mooring. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gspot said:

... a Farrier design, and I'm SOOOOOO thankful for Ian's ingenious folding mechanism which makes the boat so much quicker and easier to launch and retrieve, and also fit in a monohull-sized slip if visiting another club for a regatta.

I do miss the easy fold/unfold of my F242 and ability to put into a normal sized slip.  Even though the SeaRail folds/unfolds (not as easy as the F242 system because ya gotta fiddle with shrouds and mast raising gear), it isn't stable enough to motor while folded so it is a sidetie only design.  The narrow main hull is great for performance but not so great for stability while folded.  

On 11/12/2020 at 5:42 PM, Raz'r said:

However, we didn't have a good setup for mast raising. That needs to be figured out. The boom and mainsheet purchase should be able to be used as a gin-pole, but you need a way to keep everything aligned.

Temporary mini shrouds need precise placement to remain taught throughout the raising and lowering process. I made a support that uses a rigid tube instead of cable on either side of the mast. The inner ends of the tubes are attached to a slug which is free to slide in the sail slot. It has worked great.

2 hours ago, cyclone said:

Temporary mini shrouds need precise placement to remain taught throughout the raising and lowering process. I made a support that uses a rigid tube instead of cable on either side of the mast. The inner ends of the tubes are attached to a slug which is free to slide in the sail slot. It has worked great.

Do you have a picture by any chance? If one side of the tube is in the mast (slug), where does the other side of the tube attach?

It's interesting that just a straight tube, inline with the mast, would provide enough lateral support (I'm assuming the slug is fixed, unlike when attached on a sail).

1 hour ago, Floating Duck said:

It's interesting that just a straight tube, inline with the mast, would provide enough lateral support

There are two tubes, one on each side that pivot in line with the mast step. This picture is looking forward. The trailer winch provides the oomph. 

A6E81A98-AFAB-4F1F-A434-EF057C9D64EE.thumb.jpeg.a33c9f8ffe3eab623b8aa72b9054c50d.jpeg

• Like 1