3 minutes ago, bushsailor said:

Sydney to Hobart. (Debatable due to its exclusive nature)

I don't think that's debateable at all, its the jewel in the crown of Australian yachting. Better without multihulls anyway

And in terms of other races, Vendee Globe, Trophée Jules Verne and 'The Ocean Race' (ex. Volvo/Whitbread), the Mini Transat and La Solitaire du Figaro should all be up there in my eyes.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bushsailor said:

More a coastal classic, no? (Grabbing my coat and cap......)

• Like 2

There are a selection of great ocean races around the world.

What are they?

Fastnet.

Transpac.

Capetown to Rio.

China Sea.

Carribean 600

Best is going on now in another thread... vendee globe. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Fintho said:

I don't think that's debateable at all, its the jewel in the crown of Australian yachting. Better without multihulls anyway

And in terms of other races, Vendee Globe, Trophée Jules Verne and 'The Ocean Race' (ex. Volvo/Whitbread), the Mini Transat and La Solitaire du Figaro should all be up there in my eyes.

There is plenty more excluded boats than just multihulls, 2 handed, overseas boats, Siska are just some examples, plus low numbers. The reception in Hobart on the other hand is fantastic.

Westcoaster is more of a challenge but low numbers.

10 minutes ago, bushsailor said:

2 handed,

IIRC they're running a 2 handed div from this edition onwards, although times won't count towards the Overall Trophy because the old farts at the CYCA are too afraid of Autopilots, even though competing two up is arguably more difficult that fully crewed

Maybe I should clarify, a race that anyone could conceivably do as a bucketlist item. Vendee globe although absolutely fantastic is not a race for the average person.

Surely, non of those listed are a race for the 'average person'? Talented sailors, at the very least.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fintho said:

IIRC they're running a 2 handed div from this edition onwards, although times won't count towards the Overall Trophy because the old farts at the CYCA are too afraid of Autopilots, even though competing two up is arguably more difficult that fully crewed

Ha. Yeah. They can be a bit slow at CYCA, multihulls aside. These things take time, obviously.

I mean, it's only been a decade of so since diesel engines have been allowed to drive canting keels, pump water ballast, hoist, reef and furl sails, trim sheets, shift the mainsheet traveller, or grind-on runners.

Autopilots are obviously far too mechanical, right? ;-)

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Ha. Yeah. They can be a bit slow at CYCA, multihulls aside. These things take time, obviously.

I mean, it's only been a decade of so since diesel engines have been allowed to drive canting keels, pump water ballast, hoist, reef and furl sails, trim sheets, shift the mainsheet traveller, or grind-on runners.

Also a shame that you're not allowed to race anything less than 30ft, especially two up. There aren't many competitive boats that are actually designed for shorthanded racing that are that big, unless you're ready to spend mortgage kind or money. Why should a mini650 not be able to race across the Bass Strait, if they're Cat 1 safe and built to sail across the Atlantic. Seems like a missed opportunity to lower the bar for entry and shake things up a bit more.

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

It ain’t out of fear of autopilots. The entire event & organizers are looking to create a particular result that keeps the specific maxis coming back. It is like coordinating a race rule with an eye on picking winners and losers. They don’t want Frenchies showing up with JPK1030/1080 or SunFast 3300 taking the win. 

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Miffy said:

It ain’t out of fear of autopilots. The entire event & organizers are looking to create a particular result that keeps the specific maxis coming back. It is like coordinating a race rule with an eye on picking winners and losers. They don’t want Frenchies showing up with JPK1030/1080 or SunFast 3300 taking the win. 

Which is exactly why I made the comment above about it not really deserving being listed as one of the great races.

2 minutes ago, Fintho said:

Also a shame that you're not allowed to race anything less than 30ft, especially two up. There aren't many competitive boats that are actually designed for shorthanded racing that are that big, unless you're ready to spend mortgage kind or money. Why should a mini650 not be able to race across the Bass Strait, if they're Cat 1 safe and built to sail across the Atlantic. Seems like a missed opportunity to lower the bar for entry and shake things up a bit more.

6.5s are not cat 1 compliant and crossing the Atlantic via canaries with an event organization that adjusts start dates based on weather is a lot easier and safer than Sydney Hobart. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Miffy said:

6.5s are not cat 1 compliant and crossing the Atlantic via canaries with an event organization that adjusts start dates based on weather is a lot easier and safer than Sydney Hobart. 

That's true. I just wish that the financial bar in terms of entry and yacht type was a bit lower. Really limits the amount and type of competitors that it can attract. 

7 hours ago, Fintho said:

I think 1998 would beg to differ. Although the Launceston Hobart is definitely a coastal classic

Bad weather or danger doesn't make it an ocean race.  I would say that both Fastnet and Sydney Hobart are Coastal/Offshore, but certainly not Ocean Races.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Potter said:

Bad weather or danger doesn't make it an ocean race.  I would say that both Fastnet and Sydney Hobart are Coastal/Offshore, but certainly not Ocean Races.

I agree, but then there are almost no true 'ocean races' that are achievable for an amateur, Transpac I guess but not much else springs to mind.

47 minutes ago, Fintho said:

I agree, but then there are almost no true 'ocean races' that are achievable for an amateur, Transpac I guess but not much else springs to mind.

As mentioned above, the Melbourne Osaka is generally pretty 'amateure'. There was talk of a Sydney to Auckland race in 2022.

11 hours ago, Fintho said:

Up against a tautology, I think. For example, one reason the Bermuda Race has not been mentioned is because of the more generally benign conditions that make it achievable by amateurs.

The difference between coastal and ocean races has always been a disputed one..

One definition from world sailing would rule out a few

World Sailing promotes Oceanic and Offshore racing and cruising throughout the world. Oceanic racing is defined as any offshore race over 800 miles

Personally I would add the Double handed Round Britain. A brilliant race. And well over the 800 mile threshold

• Like 2
On 11/16/2020 at 9:28 PM, Fintho said:

On the east coast of Oz we have Lord Howe (some might consider it a bit short),  and the Noumea races.

Half way to either you are well out of sight of land!

On 11/16/2020 at 4:33 PM, Fintho said:

That's true. I just wish that the financial bar in terms of entry and yacht type was a bit lower. Really limits the amount and type of competitors that it can attract. 

The Army Jarkan 925 reckon they spend $10k to do it. Can’t see how but I’m sure it’s pretty cheap compared to the others in the race. 

59 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

The Army Jarkan 925 reckon they spend $10k to do it. Can’t see how but I’m sure it’s pretty cheap compared to the others in the race. 

I guess it also comes down to how 'competitive' you want to be, realistically most older style cruising yachts could be fitted out to be cat1 safe. Won't get near the front of your division though (probably)

On 11/16/2020 at 2:28 AM, Fintho said:

I'd pick the Pacific Cup over the Transpac. Sportier start, better shorthanded division and a much nicer destination in Hawaii. I can't think of another US ocean race thats had one design short handed racing in the last few years.

1 hour ago, Fintho said:

I guess it also comes down to how 'competitive' you want to be, realistically most older style cruising yachts could be fitted out to be cat1 safe. Won't get near the front of your division though (probably)

Better off buying one that has won or at least proven on IRC. But look at who won Div 7 last year if you’re thinking going old / slow boat & ask around as to what they spent. 

Actually just watch this, but it did get them an overall win. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, stinky said:

I'd pick the Pacific Cup over the Transpac. Sportier start, better shorthanded division and a much nicer destination in Hawaii. I can't think of another US ocean race thats had one design short handed racing in the last few years.

I still struggle with a race whose motto is as hokey as “The FUN race to Hawaii”

About Sébastien Simon, he stopped (even moored I think, near the Azores), to  try to repair his primary aerial wind instrument, but said he failed, so is he still on his plan B, or not, anybody knows ?

14 hours ago, yl75 said:

About Sébastien Simon, he stopped (even moored I think, near the Azores), to  try to repair his primary aerial wind instrument, but said he failed, so is he still on his plan B, or not, anybody knows ?

You may have posted this in the wrong thread. I am also wondering about this question, but have not been able to find out much.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2020 at 4:22 PM, Miffy said:

Seriously, have you sailed a mini?  Have you crossed the Atlantic?  Seriously?  

in terms of crewed events in my experience in the last 5 years, and excluding the ones i sadly didnt get to do, ie. transpac, capetown rio, bermuda, c600

trans atlantic race -seeing what the real shit is really about

middle sea - sailing around active volcano, and malta is incredible

hobart- iconic, start is insane

fastnet, iconic rounding the rock, start is also a unique experience

pac cup- not the real hawaii rip but boardshort downwind sailing to jurrasic park

peutra vallarta- west coastsailing at its best 

marblehead-halifax-new record set, unicorn routing, perfect boat. lets go

• Like 1
On 11/18/2020 at 8:20 PM, stinky said:

Not shorthanded, and I'm a huge fan of shorthanded events/divisions, but Newport to Bermuda gets a OD class of J/120's and J/44's.  Transpac often has a division of Cal 40's.  That's pretty cool as all of the above are more than 18 years old.  

Normandy Channel Race.  1,000 miles double-handed racing level with 25+ other class 40s.  And the fact that it has big coastal sections makes it tougher and more interesting.  It is much more physically and mentally challenging than any Bermuda race I've done.

30 May 2021

On 11/15/2020 at 5:41 PM, bushsailor said:

There are a selection of great ocean races around the world.

What are they?

Fastnet.

Transpac.

Capetown to Rio.

China Sea.

You toss in the Carribean 600 which has been around for just a few years and doesn't actually sail on an ocean.  And yet you don't include the Bermuda Race?  

• Like 1

The Sydney to Suva was a great race....and for the cruising set, the Darwin Ambon was well supported...I've had the pleasure & privilege of doing all but the China Sea on the OP list but rate the Rio Race as the most epic. Haven't done any of the longer Med races but they look like fun.... Insurances, liabilities and expensive safety requirements have limited the accessibility for competitors and viability for organisers....