23 hours ago, mpenman said:

That water did not look all that rough in the pictures of them being rescued, which was 40 minutes after the capsize.

I was out, the front came through and lasted all of about 30 minutes at most, with the biggest gusts in the middle. It was already 15-25 and notably raised up to 25 with gusts in the 40's over about a 10 minute span, which lasted another 10 minutes before dropping back down to 18-23. After it passed over it was a pretty nice day TBH.

But, I don't get why everyone was so unprepared for it, and how there was so much damage. It was forecast, and it came in very gently after already being a moderate to strong day.

I was the only boat in my near vicinity who didn't throw a kite up at the time, and by the next mark I was closer to boats in-front, had passed all the boats around me and the boats behind were further behind.

I counted at least 4 broken rigs, and 6 ruined spinnakers not including the sails which were up on the dropped rigs.

• Like 3
On 11/19/2020 at 11:18 PM, darth reapius said:

I was out, the front came through and lasted all of about 30 minutes at most, with the biggest gusts in the middle. It was already 15-25 and notably raised up to 25 with gusts in the 40's over about a 10 minute span, which lasted another 10 minutes before dropping back down to 18-23. After it passed over it was a pretty nice day TBH.

But, I don't get why everyone was so unprepared for it, and how there was so much damage. It was forecast, and it came in very gently after already being a moderate to strong day.

I was the only boat in my near vicinity who didn't throw a kite up at the time, and by the next mark I was closer to boats in-front, had passed all the boats around me and the boats behind were further behind.

I counted at least 4 broken rigs, and 6 ruined spinnakers not including the sails which were up on the dropped rigs.

That makes a lot more sense now. Thank-you. I'm twitchy anytime a front is coming thru.

On 11/19/2020 at 11:18 PM, darth reapius said:

Smart man! Nice job. As to the rest sadly you can’t fix stupid and worse yet we all get screwed on insurance because of idiots like that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly the insurance auction has lost the main hull. A few of us were eyeing off the cassette rudder which looked intact compared to the rest. Floats would help a home builder perhaps. 

https://www.pickles.com.au/damaged-salvage/item/-/details/Unbranded--Catamaran/3040188050

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bugger

My wife stumbled on the original for sale ad for Blue moon  this week and was talking seriously about buying her (hadn't noticed that it was already sold). A couple glasses of wine and 6 days cruising on a TT720 in the rain can have that effect.  I was gutted to be told about this thread and her untimely demise. $150K seemed like a very reasonable price for a shipyard built F32ax.

Needless to say I will be cruising more and taking more wine while scouring the for sale listings. 

So sad that they didn't have the chance to salvage her before hitting the bricks. My sluething of that video puts them a measly 1km off the west shore of Garden Island when they got picked up. VMR guys are there to save the blokes not the vessel but its still sad that a big arse anchor couldn't be dropped to have it hold station till a tow and flip be organised. Easy to armchair shoulda coulda but sad to see nice looking boat meet an untimely demise. Flipping aint terminal ... running aground is

Good that the (I assume new) owners got off safely.

PS

Don't worry PB we still love TF