what’s missing? on front page

1 hour ago, See Level said:

What happens if-when the remote falls overboard?

j-100-remote-scaled.jpg

I would have expected something a bit more modern and easier to read/use.  Seems like it is an old elevator control pad...

6 hours ago, Pog said:
8 hours ago, See Level said:

j-100-remote-scaled.jpg

I would have expected something a bit more modern and easier to read/use.  Seems like it is an old elevator control pad...

Yeahe, somthinge licke thisse.............

19117_13_apple_iglasses_concept_full.png

butte moire stylishe ..............                 :)

• Like 1

Watching him sail it, the forward wheel seems to work.  The J100's always look like they're dragging their fannies but the wheel keeps his weight forward.

The boat keeps moving in light air even with all that gear - he was the only finisher in the Vallejo 1 recently (singlehanded race from Berkeley to Vallejo).  There's video of them sailing it on his website.

I'm kind of jealous for Scott.  He has the experience and skill to try a project like this.  I imagine a lot of "Hey, if I did that with the sheet, then I could do this..."

• Like 1

Interesting all the slagging. I suspect none of you have actually been on the boat and have seen how it all operates.

Having been on the boat, and seeing how the systems operate, I can tell you it all works well.  Is it cheap to do all this? Nope. But having a 35'  that performs well that can be sailed well by one person is a cool outcome.  The boat is very much a laboratory for ideas. And I give a lot of credit to Scott for going all in on how to implement this. It is high quality with a lot of innovation all the way. 

I'm curious.  Maybe someone can answer this question.  Have powered winch systems been approved for singlehanded or shorthanded racing? 

Setup looks pretty clean.  It be nice to get more details on the individual drives and power systems to run all that stuff.

Rule 52 can be excluded from the SIs which is how Autopilots have been allowed, then came boats with a powered cabin-house winch, etc.  Now the slippery slope has become a cliff and we have a near fully automated boat racing against mortals.  This level of non-human powered automation isn't a good thing for the future of racing......   pleasure sailing fine but this shouldn't be racing in the same divisions as people actually pulling all the strings, nor be eligible for an overall trophy.   

I won't even begin to talk about the arm$ race this would start.   

The NorCal YRA has issued ratings with powered equipment because they say it is not up to them to allow such boats to race or not, just for them to rate them for the speed increase this automation allows.  This boat was dinged 15 sec/mile over a stock J/100 but only part of that was for the powered gear.   Now the YRA lists this boats type as "J 100 with non-legal power".

To answer your question much of equipment is custom or a customization of off the shelf gear.  "Power systems" are Li batteries I presume.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, solosailor said:

Rule 52 can be excluded from the SIs which is how Autopilots have been allowed, then came boats with a powered cabin-house winch, etc.  Now the slippery slope has become a cliff and we have a near fully automated boat racing against mortals.  This level of non-human powered automation isn't a good thing for the future of racing......   pleasure sailing fine but this shouldn't be racing in the same divisions as people actually pulling all the strings, nor be eligible for an overall trophy.   

I won't even begin to talk about the arm$ race this would start.   

The NorCal YRA has issued ratings with powered equipment because they say it is not up to them to allow such boats to race or not, just for them to rate them for the speed increase this automation allows.  This boat was dinged 15 sec/mile over a stock J/100 but only part of that was for the powered gear.   Now the YRA lists this boats type as "J 100 with non-legal power".

To answer your question much of equipment is custom or a customization of off the shelf gear.  "Power systems" are Li batteries I presume.

I agree with most of your points except the value judgement on non-human powered automation.

The Easom boat is a great way to bring two important groups of people into the sport. New sailors who aren't male gym rats and former sailors who had to give up the sport due to physical limitations.

As far as the arms race goes, there are ways to manage that: encourage classes to build in arms limitation rules similar to the typical N-sails purchased per M-years rules and build out an open class where autonomous vehicle R&D people can play. Big money will still pour in, but it will come from people whose default expectation is to productize and commoditize the winning gear. This should rapidly feed back to production boats in a way that lifting foils probably never will.

I see a need for organizational work to ensure that highly automated boats compete among themselves, like multihulls. That seems like a relatively light cost to pay in order to welcome new sailors to the sport.

On 11/18/2020 at 5:06 PM, See Level said:

j-100-remote-scaled.jpg

The UI designer needs to be killed.

Some buttons are "Left button, IN, right button, OUT."  Some buttons are "Upper button IN, lower button, OUT."

What's wrong with the left column "IN" and the right column "OUT" for ALL of them?

You don't want to be looking at the bloody buttons to see what they do when the fewmets are hitting the windmill.

And make them some different colors, FFS.

Sheesh.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, apophenia said:

The Easom boat is a great way to bring two important groups of people into the sport. New sailors who aren't male gym rats and former sailors who had to give up the sport due to physical limitations.

On the contrary, it look to me like a way of driving people out of the sport.

Fifteen years ago, an owner with physical limitations could have sailed a J/100 by old, proven method of recruiting one or more people to come sailing.  This burst of electric power just means that the boat's owner can leave the crew on shore.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

On the contrary, it look to me like a way of driving people out of the sport.

Fifteen years ago, an owner with physical limitations could have sailed a J/100 by old, proven method of recruiting one or more people to come sailing.  This burst of electric power just means that the boat's owner can leave the crew on shore.

Or have the crew doing other important things

depositphotos_200350534-stock-photo-rear

On 11/20/2020 at 5:10 AM, Mr Moab said:

Interesting all the slagging.

In reality the slagging so far has not been that interesting. No references to dick smoking, no accusations of being a homo and not a single use of the word 'cunt'. Far from being interesting I think everyone needs to lift their game. Particularly you Mrs Moad, you dick smoking homo cunt.

• Like 1

I like the concept but the wheel is a deal-breaker for me.  Excessively complicated and unnecessary.  you can get that far forward in the cockpit with a tiller extension, and if you need to hide behind the dodger you can flip on the autopilot,

Cunt!

8 hours ago, solosailor said:

Are people allowed to use electric powered hub wheels in bicycle races when they get old or are new to the sport?   

Not in races (yet) but there's definitely some controversy as E-bikes become more popular on bike paths and mtn bike trails.  Your question was likely rhetorical but some interesting parallels nonetheless.  Can't say I'm a big fan of sharing my mtn bike trails with E-bikes when I'm huffing and puffing as I peddle my fat ass uphill only to be passed by someone smoking a cigar on an E-bike.  Especially as the trails become more crowded and overtaken by them.  Not to say E-bikes arn't really cool but where they belong is yet to be sorted out.   If someone could kindly point me in the direction of E-bike Anarchy I'll let myself out.

2 hours ago, psycho tiller said:

If someone could kindly point me in the direction of E-bike Anarchy I'll let myself out.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, psycho tiller said:

Not in races (yet) but there's definitely some controversy as E-bikes become more popular on bike paths and mtn bike trails.  Your question was likely rhetorical but some interesting parallels nonetheless.  Can't say I'm a big fan of sharing my mtn bike trails with E-bikes when I'm huffing and puffing as I peddle my fat ass uphill only to be passed by someone smoking a cigar on an E-bike.  Especially as the trails become more crowded and overtaken by them.  Not to say E-bikes arn't really cool but where they belong is yet to be sorted out.   If someone could kindly point me in the direction of E-bike Anarchy I'll let myself out.

I was out on the treadlie the other day slogging my way uphill when I noticed a fat fuck with a bike growing out of his ass ahead of me. For the life of me I couldn't work out why I wasn't catching up to him. Eventually caught him at a set of traffic lights, dude didn't have once ounce of sweat, while I was dripping in sweat and looked like I was about to blow my god damn foofer valve.  Looked down at his bike, aww fucking e-bike.

Same deal when you hit the top mark against a hydraulic winch package, kite hoist and sheet on in one freakin go, barely anyone breaking a sweat. Then I look up my rig at the half hoisted kite which some cunt in the back has already sheeted in and think to myself aww fucking e-boat.

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, VWAP said:

My time in that particular E-bike Anarchy forum was very short lived.  Apparently 'fuck off newbie and show us some tits' doesn't go over so well in other forums.  Weird, I always thought that was a universal greeting.  Guess I need to get out more and stop listening to the juvenile delinquents around here :D

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, OW3 said:

I was out on the treadlie the other day slogging my way uphill when I noticed a fat fuck with a bike growing out of his ass ahead of me. For the life of me I couldn't work out why I wasn't catching up to him. Eventually caught him at a set of traffic lights, dude didn't have once ounce of sweat, while I was dripping in sweat and looked like I was about to blow my god damn foofer valve.  Looked down at his bike, aww fucking e-bike.

Same deal when you hit the top mark against a hydraulic winch package, kite hoist and sheet on in one freakin go, barely anyone breaking a sweat. Then I look up my rig at the half hoisted kite which some cunt in the back has already sheeted in and think to myself aww fucking e-boat.

Every. Damn. Time!  The only thing worse is when I'm getting my assed kicked and I wrongly assume it must be an E bike only to find out it's not and I'm once again reminded I'm not getting any younger, prettier, skinnier or stronger.

6 hours ago, psycho tiller said:

Maybe you’re doing it wrong? Or not, no judgement here.

peddle
/ˈpɛd(ə)l/

verb
  1. try to sell (something, especially small goods) by going from place to place.
    "he peddled printing materials around the country"

Bad and all as that must be, think of poor @Meat Wad getting passed by one of these:

(Dawg, you just have to get one.)
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Black Sox said:

Maybe you’re doing it wrong? Or not, no judgement here.

peddle
/ˈpɛd(ə)l/

verb
  1. try to sell (something, especially small goods) by going from place to place.
    "he peddled printing materials around the country"

Bad and all as that must be, think of poor @Meat Wad getting passed by one of these:

(Dawg, you just have to get one.)

I can see how he ended up in that wheelchair! In that video he shoots out into the road without looking left or right. Most mobility scooter drivers seem to come from the same school of road safety. 

• Like 1
On 11/21/2020 at 12:16 PM, solosailor said:

I assumed that was the case.  It would be nice to see some photos of how the physical drives / drums were installed below decks and their impact on space below.

Sounds like the tech might help to get more physically challenged sailors out on the water.

I agree with the slippery slope and arms race comments.  Reminds me of the debate to allow the monster canters with powered gear running diesels for power into the mix.  I'm still not a fan of them.

1 hour ago, yoyo said:

Sounds like the tech might help to get more physically challenged sailors out on the water.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mark Set said:

Locally we allowed auto pilot and powered winches only for single handers sailing in the short handed division IIRC. Most auto pilots cant steer worth a damn though so you'd only use it when you absolutely have to.

They are fearless running downwind in big seas. 

• Like 1

I guy with an S&S 30 near my slip just had Scott electrify his boat.  He loves it, he kept the tiller though.  He sails beer cans at the RYC.  They are going to be like ebikes, you hate them now, but you know deep down you might be destined for one.

3 hours ago, B dock said:

I guy with an S&S 30 near my slip just had Scott electrify his boat.  He loves it, he kept the tiller though.  He sails beer cans at the RYC.  They are going to be like ebikes, you hate them now, but you know deep down you might be destined for one.

i hope i get run over first 

On 11/20/2020 at 1:52 AM, foamy1946 said:

So what are the redundant systems when the power goes south and the electronic systems give out?

And I get a stiff neck thinking about checking main sail trim every so often.

More like, what happens when everyone is so weak all they can do is lift a remote?

Strong hand scary movie my hero GIF - Find on GIFER

20 minutes ago, solosailor said:

Long Live Rule 52.   Sailing is a sport, not an activity.

Sailboat racing maybe a sport but it only represents about 10% of people overall who participate in the activity of sailing.

And of that 10%, many are fat cunts.

On 11/22/2020 at 8:55 AM, VWAP said:

Or have the crew doing other important things

depositphotos_200350534-stock-photo-rear

Most people like to pull their own ropes as a cost effective means to have an simpler adventure. Others like complicated expensive systems that can only last a few seasons before they are encouraged to upgrade once a new model comes to market.

SAfigured.jpg

Sailboat racing maybe a sport but it only represents about 10% of people overall who participate in the activity of sailing.

Like I said, this tech on a boat is fine.....  what is not fine is racing against those that actually pull their own strings but they are out there competing with this stuff right now.   Are you allowed a powered swing and aim device for competitive golf?

4 hours ago, solosailor said:

Like I said, this tech on a boat is fine.....  what is not fine is racing against those that actually pull their own strings but they are out there competing with this stuff right now.   Are you allowed a powered swing and aim device for competitive golf?

But in some events you are allowed a golf cart. Including an exception in the PGA for one player years ago- forget his name.