International 420 max crew weight

Hi, I have a question about the max crew weight for an International 420. It's supposed to be 145 kg / 320 pounds according to the class web page: http://www.420sailing.org/content/introduction-to-the-420

Does the boat perform well with that max combined crew weight of 145kg/320 pounds? Thanks!

5 hours ago, boikie said:

Hi, I have a question about the max crew weight for an International 420. It's supposed to be 145 kg / 320 pounds according to the class web page: http://www.420sailing.org/content/introduction-to-the-420

Does the boat perform well with that max combined crew weight of 145kg/320 pounds? Thanks!

Wind? If blowing 20 then yes obviously. IF 8, not so much...

7 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Wind? If blowing 20 then yes obviously. IF 8, not so much...

Hi Fastyacht, thanks for replying. I can imagine the boat will be slower with a heavier crew in light wind days.

What I would like to know is if, In general, the boat is really suited for a crew that's on the heavier side of the design max crew weight. Or if on the contrary, the max crew weight on the official class site is misleading (I have been told so by some people). What do you think?

1 hour ago, boikie said:

Hi Fastyacht, thanks for replying. I can imagine the boat will be slower with a heavier crew in light wind days.

What I would like to know is if, In general, the boat is really suited for a crew that's on the heavier side of the design max crew weight. Or if on the contrary, the max crew weight on the official class site is misleading (I have been told so by some people). What do you think?

Depends on prevailing conditions. Racing say Chesapeake summer or Marbledead yoi want light. Sailing a windy venue mostly like Buzzards Bay then heavier is advantage.

I raced North Am champs at Pleon many moons ago at max. We did middling. I barely used thevtrapeze.

• Like 1

All dinghies are weight sensitive. Heavy crews do well in heavier air, lighter in light. I have not sailed the 420 too much, but all other trap boats need the crew on the wire to sail optimally. Heavy crews don't go to the wire as soon and fall behind in those transition periods. 

in the 505 I really suffer when racing the 12-15 range when sailing with another large person. Other boats are on the trap then but we are still sitting. They drive away till we can get on the wire at least crouching. 

When all the crews are sitting we can at least keep up going upwind, but down the light guys run away. Once over 15 and the light crews start raking we can really power past some with full power. But overall its pretty even. 

Since a 420 has fewer sail controls, less adjustable mast position/bend,  you will be at more of a disadvantage till you can get on the wire I would think. 470 is that way as well, but again more ability to power up in the light. mast bend controls etc. 

• Like 2

The 470 optimum crew wight is less than 145kg, more like 135 to 138 with the helm being 60 or less.                                                             

420 is more like mid to upper 120s.

• Like 1

The total crew weight is only one variable. You could get and a 120lb chick with a 200lb 6’2” beast on the trap.(I haven’t sailed a 420 seriously in 30 years.) That would be me and my partner. You want a tall guy on the wire to get below the max weight. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I can tell you from experience that it's no fun sailing a 420 if you're heavy (we were 155 kg back then). You can start well, have a good upwind leg and still be one of the last boats to reach the downwind mark. Not very motivating to have everyone sail past you and then asking the coach what you could improve on for the downwind legs only to be told that you did nothing wrong, you were just too heavy. When it's blowing however, you'll have a blast.