Trump's bizarro-world 'elite strike force' legal challenge is about to implode

I thought this deserved it's own thread on the headline alone.

(CNN)Just moments after a federal judge issued a blistering rebuke of their evidence-free, legally-confused effort to contest President-elect Joe Biden's win in Pennsylvania, President Donald Trump's legal team flailed to spin the crushing loss as some sort of bizarro-world victory. Trump campaign attorneys Rudy Giuliani and Jenna Ellis claimed in a statement that the dismissal "turns out to help us in our strategy to get expeditiously to the US Supreme Court."

But if the Trump campaign's legal team is counting on the Supreme Court to save them, they're delusional. In this case, and in the larger effort to contest the outcome of the 2020 election, Trump's team is just about out of runway.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/23/opinions/trump-legal-challenge-election-honig/index.html

6 minutes ago, benwynn said:

I thought this deserved it's own thread on the headline alone.

(CNN)Just moments after a federal judge issued a blistering rebuke of their evidence-free, legally-confused effort to contest President-elect Joe Biden's win in Pennsylvania, President Donald Trump's legal team flailed to spin the crushing loss as some sort of bizarro-world victory. Trump campaign attorneys Rudy Giuliani and Jenna Ellis claimed in a statement that the dismissal "turns out to help us in our strategy to get expeditiously to the US Supreme Court."

But if the Trump campaign's legal team is counting on the Supreme Court to save them, they're delusional. In this case, and in the larger effort to contest the outcome of the 2020 election, Trump's team is just about out of runway.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/23/opinions/trump-legal-challenge-election-honig/index.html

I for one look forward to Rudy's crash and burn.

Trump fears Giuliani, other lawyers in Biden vote challenge are 'fools that are making him look bad'

Source: CNBC

President Donald Trump is sweating over his campaign lawyers’ dismal and often outlandish efforts to reverse President-elect Joe Biden’s projected electoral victory. 

Trump is worried that his campaign’s legal team, which is being led by his personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani, is comprised of “fools that are making him look bad,” NBC News reported Monday. 

That crew, which has unironically called itself an “elite strike force team,” to date has failed to win any legal victories that would invalidate votes for Biden, the former Democratic vice president, even as the legal eagles tout wildly broad claims of fraud for which they have offered no convincing evidence.

Read more: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/23/trump-fears-giuliani-and-other-biden-vote-challenge-lawyers-are-fools.html 

12 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Trump fears Giuliani, other lawyers in Biden vote challenge are 'fools that are making him look bad'

Source: CNBC

President Donald Trump is sweating over his campaign lawyers’ dismal and often outlandish efforts to reverse President-elect Joe Biden’s projected electoral victory. 

Trump is worried that his campaign’s legal team, which is being led by his personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani, is comprised of “fools that are making him look bad,” NBC News reported Monday. 

Makes me wonder at what exact point that light bulb came on.    Did one of our crack team of Righties on PA drive to DC to buy him a clue?

9 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

If his legal team is representative of the talent Trump surrounds himself with, his multiple bankruptcies are more understandable.

He picks the best, everyone is saying it.

We have come to realize that his best is cheap, much like the Gold and Mirrors decor he surrounds himself with, it actually screams insecurity to all but his most faithful elk for them its a sign he is a very smart businessman and they are unworthy, SAD.

5 minutes ago, benwynn said:

Makes me wonder at what exact point that light bulb came on.    Did one of our crack team of Righties on PA drive to DC to buy him a clue?

If Trump couldn't figure it out after the Four Seasons fiasco, there was never any hope for him.

Quick Fun Fact: As of today, Trump's approval rating is 44%.

In light of the events of the past four years and the most recent complete meltdown, this fact should scare the fuck out of everyone on the planet. We don't appear to be getting better.

• Like 7

Gropenfuhrer needs no help in looking bad. He does a world class job doing that all by himself.  But I continue to be dismayed that there are tens of millions of Americans who are too ignorant/lazy/stupid to see through him.

28 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

“elite strike force team,”

Should be "Elite strike out farce team"...

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, bhyde said:

Quick Fun Fact: As of today, Trump's approval rating is 44%.

In light of the events of the past four years and the most recent complete meltdown, this fact should scare the fuck out of everyone on the planet. We don't appear to be getting better.

It's one of the reasons why I think the USA is headed for civic breakdown.

Right-wing media has worked for years to make it impossible for Democrats to govern the country; now they've brought about an administration that is unable to cope with a national emergency and uninterested in governing with even a pretense at the common good. From here, fractional marketing will pit more righties against each other and grow the overall percentage of USAnians who refuse to be governed at all.

- DSK

2 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

come back in off the ledge, man

most people just want to get along, get a little sex now and again and feel like someone cares that they breathe

Redd Foxx: Man, what’s with cows, with their snotty noses and dirty tits? If there’s one thing I can’t stand it’s a snotty nose. I’ll clean up the dirty tit. 

life ain’t perfect. Clean the dirty tit. 

1 hour ago, jerseyguy said:

If his legal team is representative of the talent Trump surrounds himself with, his multiple bankruptcies are more understandable.

Well, we only have had the examples of Kushner, Ivanka, DeVos, Mnuchin, Ross, Miller, McAnerny, Barr, Carson, Spicer, Flynn, Don Jr., Eric, et al to go by, but most of us got the message about four years ago.  

45 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

It's one of the reasons why I think the USA is headed for civic breakdown.

Right-wing media has worked for years to make it impossible for Democrats to govern the country; now they've brought about an administration that is unable to cope with a national emergency and uninterested in governing with even a pretense at the common good. From here, fractional marketing will pit more righties against each other and grow the overall percentage of USAnians who refuse to be governed at all.

- DSK

Can't say that I disagree with any of that. Our  problems are much deeper than most of us can imagine. I'd like to believe that the Trump fiasco was a wakeup call, but we all know that isn't the case. Look at most Republicans. They barely denounced Trump's attempted coup. Our country is severely divided and I can't say that I have any idea how to fix that. I'm not sure anyone does. All it is going to take is some Black Swan event to push us over the edge and expose just how delicate democracy really is. I have no doubt that the next four years are going to be a repeat of the ongoing war to seize absolute power. The Roman empire lasted a thousand years, five hundred in decline. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bhyde said:

Can't say that I disagree with any of that. Our  problems are much deeper than most of us can imagine. I'd like to believe that the Trump fiasco was a wakeup call, but we all know that isn't the case. Look at most Republicans. They barely denounced Trump's attempted coup. Our country is severely divided and I can't say that I have any idea how to fix that. I'm not sure anyone does. All it is going to take is some Black Swan event to push us over the edge and expose just how delicate democracy really is. I have no doubt that the next four years are going to be a repeat of the ongoing war to seize absolute power. The Roman empire lasted a thousand years, five hundred in decline. 

Yeah, but things happen faster now, don't they?

One thing that Trump definitely exposed is how vulnerable to country is to loss of democracy and loss of rule of law. Entirely too many people were cheering at the thought. For the next couple of years at least, the Democratic Party isn't really in a position to set aside or ignore all the laws and Constitutional provisions that the Republicans have simply ignored. They don't have the state houses, the judiciary, or the masses of people screaming "Hell Yeah!" So it's really a question of, will the Republican Party back away from the brink, or march along behind a smarter more plausible Trump-like figure?

- DSK

5 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Yeah, but things happen faster now, don't they?

One thing that Trump definitely exposed is how vulnerable to country is to loss of democracy and loss of rule of law. Entirely too many people were cheering at the thought. For the next couple of years at least, the Democratic Party isn't really in a position to set aside or ignore all the laws and Constitutional provisions that the Republicans have simply ignored. They don't have the state houses, the judiciary, or the masses of people screaming "Hell Yeah!" So it's really a question of, will the Republican Party back away from the brink, or march along behind a smarter more plausible Trump-like figure?

- DSK

The next authoritarian wannabe might not be an incompetent weighed down by a pandemic. 

17 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

The next authoritarian wannabe might not be an incompetent weighed down by a pandemic. 

The great irony here is had he grabbed this pandemic by the balls and dealt with it, you would be looking at a President for life, funny how some things work out.

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

The great irony here is had he grabbed this pandemic by the balls and dealt with it, you would be looking at a President for life, funny how some things work out.

He was incapable of dealing with it. He's incompetent, and always has been. That's why he's ex-president, not that he was much of one at any point.

They have to have pizazz and shuck and jive like starving used car salesmen. Only the best liars and cheats can win on the GOP ticket now. The bar is hopefully so high now only someone with oxygen assist will be able to come close. In the end this guy might end up killing the GOP and pink people power.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Next one the Rs put up won't be a moron now they see how easy it is.

It'll have to be a star. Someone like a Dr Phil. Or maybe that quack financial guy.  Is radio enough or does it have to be flickering screen?  The cranky chef and the Idol guy are ferriners and talk funny, so they're out.

• 1 month later...

Bill Barr told Trump that ‘clownish’ legal team was lying to him about ‘bull***’ voter fraud claims, reports say

President Trump's former Attorney General Bill Barr called Mr Trump's legal team "clownish" and the president's claims that the election had been stolen from him "bull****," according to reporting by Axios.

This was during a December meeting in the White House that Mr Trump had asked Mr Barr to attend after seeing a story by the Associated Press that quoted Mr Barr as saying "we have not seen fraud on a scale that could have effected a different outcome in the election".

But, Dog knows better.

2 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Bill Barr told Trump that ‘clownish’ legal team was lying to him about ‘bull***’ voter fraud claims, reports say

President Trump's former Attorney General Bill Barr called Mr Trump's legal team "clownish" and the president's claims that the election had been stolen from him "bull****," according to reporting by Axios.

This was during a December meeting in the White House that Mr Trump had asked Mr Barr to attend after seeing a story by the Associated Press that quoted Mr Barr as saying "we have not seen fraud on a scale that could have effected a different outcome in the election".

Barr earns some rarely deserved bonus points for proper use of "effected" instead of the lame yet fashionable "effectuated".

• Like 1
1 minute ago, PHIRKIN said:

Barr earns some rarely deserved bonus points for proper use of "effected" instead of the lame yet fashionable "effectuated".

Let alone "affected", "infected", or "afuckedup".

47 minutes ago, PHIRKIN said:

The use of "effected" in that context is affected.  A plain English lawyer would have said "resulted in a different outcome".

• Like 1

"Effect as a Verb

Effect as a verb means to bring about. It usually shows up with nouns like “change” or “solutions.”

The protesters wanted to effect change in the corrupt government.

In other words, they wanted to bring about the effect of change—maybe by getting the government to change its policies or even step down.

If you use affect here, it would mean “to have an effect on change” or “to impact change.” Protesters who want to “affect change” would be trying to impact existing changes. That’s nice, but not as powerful as creating change, especially when there’s a corrupt government on the line."

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/affect-vs-effect/

"Plain English" can lack important nuance.  Barr's use of "effected" is , I think correct, and actually perjorative in a way "affected" or "resulted in a different outcome" is not.

I would like to believe by that point Barr meant to communicate that.  

3 hours ago, Recidivist said:

The use of "effected" in that context is affected.  A plain English lawyer would have said "resulted in a different outcome".

Wrong.

It's an unusual usage but Barr was correct.

32 minutes ago, frenchie said:

I don't think anyone said it was incorrect. 

I don't think Sloopy is aware of definition number 2.

adjective: affected
  1. 1.
    influenced or touched by an external factor.
    "apply moist heat to the affected area"

2. 2.
    artificial, pretentious, and designed to impress.
    "the gesture appeared both affected and stagy"

19 hours ago, PHIRKIN said:

If you use affect here, it would mean ....

Not suggesting using "affect", but making the point that the language used (although strictly correct) is an affectation - the word "effect" is "affected" in that context.  Disappointed that you didn't get it. 

Now that you mention it, I'm possibly disappointed a bit myself.

(I guess the joke about English lawyers that I didn't get threw me off.)

I find that that Barr's affectation of choosing to write "effect"  more strongly implies a transgression than alternate choices.

Even Barr was getting PO'd I suspect.

I doubt it will stop the billion dollar lawsuit against her by the voting machine company.

Squash all those scum flatter than a sheet of 20Lb bond.

• Like 1