Rogue Wave Trimaran

Hi

I just went to update an old thread but it is archived.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/169884-looking-for-rogue-wave/

I think I just spotted it at 33sec's in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxow2CIvZ5Q

It would be very interesting to some of us if you could get photos. The owner went to jail decades ago and the boat kind of did the same.

I went to Dubai to work on Rogue Wave in the mid 80's. The heat was taking its toll on the boat even then, and it was painted white.

Saw her in the creek marina in '98, wanted to buy her but she was tied into some legal issues, despite being advertised for sale. We were told owner in jail, something to do with the Creek development but never found out the full story. She was in OK condition then, not brilliant externally, but sound structurally, and clean inside. Mast was starting to delaminate where it had been damaged and not fixed.

Should not be a problem to get in to see it now. Jadaf used to be a secure area but the shipyards were moved to the Maritime city development and the creek area was open again last time I was there (2016). Just ask nicely!

I was in that part of the world in 2008. Found myself near a new development where all the racing dhows were being kicked out. Wonder if it was the same area.

Loved the hull shapes. This kids is what we mean by form stability.

1281910871_racingdhow-1.thumb.JPG.4d947a00d545420832808a956b2fbccf.JPG

• Like 1

I don't know when the Google Earth photo was shot but I heard, one year ago, that Rogue Wave was no longer in a state allowing her to be saved, even possibly cut in several parts...

A first hand report from a famous French trimaran skipper, who tried for years to get back Rogue Wave...  This was during the annual meeting of the Golden Oldies last year. Sad news indeed.

The timestamp on Google Earth is 2020.. snd there are new buildings visible..so looks recent.  I don't fancy her chance baking in the sun for decades but... 

I live in Dubai. I know the location.  I can try and get some photos and post them here for you.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, triple jim said:

I don't know when the Google Earth photo was shot but I heard, one year ago, that Rogue Wave was no longer in a state allowing her to be saved, even possibly cut in several parts...

A first hand report from a famous French trimaran skipper, who tried for years to get back Rogue Wave...  This was during the annual meeting of the Golden Oldies last year. Sad news indeed.

My memory is definitely not to be trusted  : RW is still in one piece. But it proved impossible to buy her back. So far...

Rogue Wave - For nearly 10 years a small group of frenchmen has tried to secure the boat and offered to buy it from its actual owner...without luck so far, but futur will tell...

We did a survey of this wonderfull trimaran many years ago, survey made by Charlie Capelle owner of the famous Acapella and expert boatbuilder in "West System technologie" learned at Walter Greene yard in the early 80s.

Regarding Gulf Streamer - its ukrainian owner sail her all the time from the Med to the Carribean...I think she is momently in the Azore on its way to the Med.

• Like 1

Cool how this forum can dig up info on such old, nearly forgotten, boats.  I often wonder if a boat like this (and so many others) would be missed if it happened to just float away on a "really high tide".   Its sad and near criminal to just let it rot.  It sure would be nice to get it into someone's hands who's willing to restore it  Was it Honda that took back and crushed all those much loved electric cars in the 1990's?  Drivers were pleading to let them buy and keep them.  Anyway since no one's posted a screen shot of RW from the OP's utube here it is.  Its dated Oct 2020, looks in one piece to me. 

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 10.10.57 AM.png

3 hours ago, eric1207 said:

Was it Honda that took back and crushed all those much loved electric cars in the 1990's?

General Motors’ EV1: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/the-death-of-the-ev-1-118595941/

1996-GM-EV1-1.jpg.2859c5d3454a4051d18f1e4767a75e76.jpg

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/gm-ev1-parking-garage-atlanta-abandoned/

Only a few seconds of Rogue Wave in that video:

• Like 1

Not Rogue Wave but since we are looking around on Google Earth here's the coordinates of another tri you guys may find interesting. My son and his girlfriend bought the cat project next to it in 2016 so I don't know if its still there. 27 28' 43.40" N   80 20' 00.03" W

8 hours ago, Steve said:

Not Rogue Wave but since we are looking around on Google Earth here's the coordinates of another tri you guys may find interesting. My son and his girlfriend bought the cat project next to it in 2016 so I don't know if its still there. 27 28' 43.40" N   80 20' 00.03" W

Looks like a cool trimaran. Quite the angles

Yeah, its quite the beast, I believe it to be Lada Poch, a Marc Lombard  design, I don't know how it came to be so neglected, there was an enormous wing mast laying alongside it.

On 12/4/2020 at 2:31 PM, Russell Brown said:

Do you have plans to get more photos and take a closer look?

Yes, I will try and get in there this week. Depends if they let me through the gate or not.

• Like 1

Haha well yes....sorry for the delay.

I finally let me in but changed his mind on letting me take photos. Despite that YouTube video labelling it an abandoned boat area it is actually a boat builder that currently builds for the government, hence why not photos are allowed. They are taking legal action against the video makers. 

I have his number and am communicating with him to send me photos that he has taken himself. There is a large semi-repaired hole in the port float but I wouldn't call it an end game damage. The front bows seems to have 'split' but only but a cm or so. All of the winches are still on board and with covers on. All windows removed. No idea where the rigging is. The guy really didn't know anything about it or care, he thought it was a powerboat (ha!).

He said the owned is open to selling it so will wait for the photos. He has a lot of powerboats and a few I was tempted to chuck a cheeky offer on..

3 hours ago, phillipdb said:

it is actually a boat builder that currently builds for the government, hence why not photos are allowed.
[...]
The guy really didn't know anything about it or care, he thought it was a powerboat (ha!).

Is there any evidence of boat building or repair in that yard or is it just a government impound lot?

Show him this page: http://dicknewickboats.com/rogue_wave/

RogueWave-s.jpg.af130aea4949351558a134af2ce4781b.jpg

I did show him that page! :) He didn't seem to care. I am messaging him now asking for photos and he seems to just be forwarding me arabic images..

The yard builds boat under the name Al Khattal Marine

7 hours ago, CPM said:

A friend of mine who works in Dubai went to the yard and took pictures...

A65004F2-29E6-4011-93F8-421F5859BF8B.jpeg

I re-glassed the underwing/hull joints and all of the sheers (about 100 miles of edges) back around 1985. Looks like those areas are doing okay. Hard to imagine the boat being rebuildable after all these years and all that heat. Any news on the owner, Raymond Woodhead?

• Like 2
On 12/1/2020 at 8:05 PM, Steve said:

On 12/2/2020 at 4:06 AM, phillipdb said:

Looks like a cool trimaran. Quite the angles

For a second, I thought it was Charles Heidsieck IV from Alain Gabbay. But I believe it is too small. You are right, it looks like Lada Poch

image.png.73485a65c5544e7acac01f4b786d2119.png

And if you want to know what was Charles Heidsieck IV is, check here.

And if you want to see where it is and in what state, check this out.

Sorry for the thread drift...

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/23/2020 at 7:44 AM, CPM said:

A friend of mine who works in Dubai went to the yard and took pictures...

F0134047-9D1A-4E97-B822-368BD86CB711.jpeg

Thank you for these. Your friend had more luck than me!

WTF is going on with the repair job on the port ama (2nd photo from top in the boat yard pics)  looks like some of the rubbish from the boat next door has somehow attached itself to Rogue Wave! I think the guy running the yard might might be telling a few pork pies claiming he is a boat builder.:lol: