pironiero

Fattest boats

Guys, can you tell me the names or upload pics of the boats with most fattestest tumblehomes,please

For aesthetic purposes

That is the weirdest fetish I have ever heard of...

But please...

Sunbeam%202005%20Vaestkusten%20AlinJPG.J

That is a Koster K 25, Sweden

• Like 7

1 hour ago, pironiero said:

fattestest tumblehomes

I loves me some fat-ass 

(for aesthetic use only):

Tumblehome and CC's? - Page 2 - The Hull Truth - Boating ...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pironiero said:

Guys, can you tell me the names or upload pics of the boats with most fattestest tumblehomes,please

For aesthetic purposes

Ranger 37?

image.png.65a5810390c61095dbc3a998560b0cac.png

Ranger 28... higher ratio of tumblehome to unit length, perhaps

image.png.4aeea384ba4c760a15ae1e2b5035a3f2.png

The R37 is a beautiful boat. I lusted for one of those, for decades. I tried to find one of the racing pics of 'Munequita' back in the day but google is not helpful this morning

FB- Doug

• Like 2

Uffa Fox flying lifeboat has a little of what your looking for

2C45CB50-CF0D-4946-B584-0CC4EE50DB48.jpeg

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

The R37 is a beautiful boat. 

FB- Doug

I never thought I would hear anyone utter this phrase.

Did you ever sail one downwind in a blow? The R37 was possibly the worst behaved IOR boat of all time.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SF Woody Sailor said:
3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Did you ever sail one downwind in a blow? The R37 was possibly the worst behaved IOR boat of all time.

Just because two strong people hauling on the tiller couldn't keep the old Munequita from rounding up over and over again I never found her homely -- though she was tumblehomely for sure.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, weightless said:
36 minutes ago, SF Woody Sailor said:
3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Just because two strong people hauling on the tiller couldn't keep the old Munequita from rounding up over and over again I never found her homely -- though she was tumblehomely for sure.

Sorry, I never sailed one, I meant "beautiful" in terms of visual aesthetic only. I have seen them sailing and they are real water-dozers, for sure

FB- Doug

Most of Stephen Jones early Half Ton designs, circa 1972.  i.e. Demolition, Supernova, Smiffy and the aptly named Tumblehome 2 which Ish has a plan view photo above.

Below are Tumblehome 2 and Smiffy (past and present):

P1050770.JPG

2013 HTC Smif spi.jpg

Smiffy 79 Alamy.jpg

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Sorry, I never sailed one, I meant "beautiful" in terms of visual aesthetic only. I have seen them sailing and they are real water-dozers, for sure

FB- Doug

So I guess you like this sort of thing? Weirdo.

The G-Rated Version of "All About That Bass" Totally Misses the Point

26 minutes ago, apophenia said:

Charles Martel, shown with whisker poles deployed before setting sails to run DDW.

Charles Martel Tumblehome.jpg

Yes, yes.... how could we forget these

FB- Doug

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

And of course, the Atlalanta 26 

5D6C9ABA-F2E4-4265-822C-B9C81570A607.jpeg

Is that what that is?  We had one on our bay years ago and nobody knew what in the hell it was!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

I wanted one for a long time and I still think they are beautiful, especially Yankee. I never found one nearby for sale that wasn't a huge project, otherwise I might have ended up with one. 

yankee3.JPG

• Like 4

My old QT Fred Again didn't have tumblehome, it had major flare instead but it was a fatty - 9 1/2 ft beam on a 26' LOA

Fred Again.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

Not a believer in "Form follows function" then?  

9 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Seems to me that the function of a recreational sailboat is enjoyment.

23 minutes ago, Left Shift said:
7 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, if the function was to win a sailboat race or three, then that work out fine

The broachiness only comes into play when you try to drive it downwind faster than the water wants to let it go. Back off the throttle, and everything is fine. I owned a '70s broach coach for a while, it was fun

FB- Doug

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

078.jpg

Is there a reason for tumblehome (the boat kind, not the ass kind) other than measurement rules?  Some of the IMOCA 60's and the modern style copycats seem to have tumblehome in the bow, if that is what it is still called.

Slip_Obs_01 | Huon Yacht Club

Doven 30s had more tumblehome than anything else around here when I was growing up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bridhb said:

Is there a reason for tumblehome (the boat kind, not the ass kind) other than measurement rules?  Some of the IMOCA 60's and the modern style copycats seem to have tumblehome in the bow, if that is what it is still called.

On French warships it allowed more armor at the waterline which helped while retreating. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Ishmael said:

earlyglass.03.jpg

I don't know the designer but I can guaranty it's British.

English designers of IOR boats produced the ugliest, most distorted boats in the thousands of years history of things that float.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

English designers produced the ugliest, most distorted boats in the thousands of years history of things that float.

FTFY

22 hours ago, ROADKILL666 said:

The fastest boat is the one behind a truck doing 75mph 

not fastest, FATtest

22 hours ago, Matagi said:

But please...

holy fuck, she's beautiful, or he?

how do you 'muricans call sailboats?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Ranger 37?

image.png.65a5810390c61095dbc3a998560b0cac.png

Ranger 28... higher ratio of tumblehome to unit length, perhaps

image.png.4aeea384ba4c760a15ae1e2b5035a3f2.png

The R37 is a beautiful boat. I lusted for one of those, for decades. I tried to find one of the racing pics of 'Munequita' back in the day but google is not helpful this morning

FB- Doug

16 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Most of Stephen Jones early Half Ton designs, circa 1972.  i.e. Demolition, Supernova, Smiffy and the aptly named Tumblehome 2 which Ish has a plan view photo above.

Below are Tumblehome 2 and Smiffy (past and present):

P1050770.JPG

2013 HTC Smif spi.jpg

Smiffy 79 Alamy.jpg

oof that first one, so good

16 hours ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

nah, i like my girls skinny and compact, easier to carry this way =^)

4 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

English designers of IOR boats produced the ugliest, most distorted boats in the thousands of years history of things that float.

you spell it wrong, pal, its Bri'ish

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pironiero said:

holy fuck, she's beautiful, or he?

how do you 'muricans call sailboats?

No soy 'muricano.

Soy DEUTSCH

;)

a she. with very few exceptions. There is a boat called 'Peter von Seestermühe', formerly 'Peter von Danzig'. It is always referred to as 'Der Peter', so a 'he'.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:
8 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

English designers produced the ugliest, most distorted boats in the thousands of years history of things that float.

FTFY

Have you never heard of Brent Swain ?

11 hours ago, bridhb said:

IOR rule was a factor in it - but not that much.  Mainly just a trend IOR designers went through for a couple of years in the early 70's - because it disappeared very quickly.  You would be hard pressed to find an IOR boat with tumblehome designed after about 1974.  Tumblehome 2 was in the '78 HTC - but she was a 5-6 year old design at that point. 

Jones more recent designs at the '78 HTC- mainly the Hustler 32s were similar in overall concept but didn't have the tumblehome or the reverse bow.  There were quite a few Hustler 32s at the HTC that year with Smokey Bear finishing second behind Waverider.

I recall reading an article by one of the designers at the time saying that tumblehome was intended to reduce the heeled waterline beam and make the underwater shape less asymmetrical - reducing wave drag and weather helm (I guess it was thought to favourably shift the CLR a bit too - IDK).  Of course on the downside, it would tend to move the  CB inward as you progressively heeled- reducing the righting arm.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pironiero said:

nah, i like my girls skinny and compact, easier to carry this way =^)

beach-bikini-gross-old-string-bikini-tho

^^^^^.....Oh man does that bring back memories!

18 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

Slip_Obs_01 | Huon Yacht Club

Doven 30s had more tumblehome than anything else around here when I was growing up.

I love a good Tassie photo!

• Like 4

On 11/28/2020 at 4:11 AM, Matagi said:

But please...

Interesting and strikingly attractive.

Hard to tell from the photo angle, but it looks less like there is tumblehome in the hull form and more as if what would have been side decks were inflated to meet the gunnels. Must provide a big increase in volume below. 

I do wonder what it would be like to step off when coming alongside a dock. Potentially a bit slippery? 

My own Pathfinder has a bit of tumblehome.

large.Stern-on.jpeg.a7e025403f097a68f780ea019bf9663a.jpeg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 12 metre said:

IOR rule was a factor in it - but not that much.  Mainly just a trend IOR designers went through for a couple of years in the early 70's - because it disappeared very quickly.  You would be hard pressed to find an IOR boat with tumblehome designed after about 1974.  Tumblehome 2 was in the '78 HTC - but she was a 5-6 year old design at that point. 

Jones more recent designs at the '78 HTC- mainly the Hustler 32s were similar in overall concept but didn't have the tumblehome or the reverse bow.  There were quite a few Hustler 32s at the HTC that year with Smokey Bear finishing second behind Waverider.

I recall reading an article by one of the designers at the time saying that tumblehome was intended to reduce the heeled waterline beam and make the underwater shape less asymmetrical - reducing wave drag and weather helm (I guess it was thought to favourably shift the CLR a bit too - IDK).  Of course on the downside, it would tend to move the  CB inward as you progressively heeled- reducing the righting arm.

There were CCA hulls that also had tumblehome, not just IOR.   However, I would seriously doubt that the possession of a tumblehome hull form was ever responsible for a sailboat winning a race.  

19 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

The Swedes gave it their best shot, however, with the Vasa.  Which had all the tumblehome a fetishist could ask for and floated for about a minute after it was launched.

th-2.jpeg

th-1.jpeg

th.jpeg

3 minutes ago, JimBowie said:

The fattest of the fat monohull made in the modern era: I present for your viewing pleasure and whatever gets your YaYas off: KZ-1

kiwi.jpg

I don’t think you know what tumblehome is. It doesn’t mean wide. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

BS designed an IOR boat? I dont think his boats follow any box rules, nor any rules at all. 

1 hour ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

I don’t think you know what tumblehome is. It doesn’t mean wide. 

Woody beam is defined as maximum width at deck level from stem to stern.  I believe he was asking for a broad-assed gal and this more than meets the criteria.  Don't go get all techy on me....

• Like 1

Just now, JimBowie said:

Woody beam is defined as maximum width at deck level from stem to stern.  I believe he was asking for a broad-assed gal and this more than meets the criteria.  Don't go get all techy on me....

BTW staring at my profile pic can you identify which is Beavis and which is Butthead?  It's a tough one.

5 minutes ago, JimBowie said:

So I was twice as right?  Or twice as wrong? 

Just wrong (lol).  The 1988 Cup was sailed under the Deed of Gift, which - if the contestants can't agree on another format - is a best-two-of-three series.  Only two races were needed.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 1:03 PM, Slick470 said:

I wanted one for a long time and I still think they are beautiful, especially Yankee. I never found one nearby for sale that wasn't a huge project, otherwise I might have ended up with one. 

yankee3.JPG

That boat is gorgeous.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JimBowie said:

The fattest of the fat monohull made in the modern era: I present for your viewing pleasure and whatever gets your YaYas off: KZ-1

kiwi.jpg

image.png.d785e6ffe4bfde05013576c849acf317.pngimage.png.ccdb051103a927c8ed45d79b38737f70.pngI think this beats it for beam as a percentage of length....

Overall length of 29 feet 10 inches (a smidgen over 9m), she is 14 feet 7 inches (4.4 m) at max beam

3 hours ago, thorpecameron said:

image.png.d785e6ffe4bfde05013576c849acf317.pngimage.png.ccdb051103a927c8ed45d79b38737f70.pngI think this beats it for beam as a percentage of length....

Overall length of 29 feet 10 inches (a smidgen over 9m), she is 14 feet 7 inches (4.4 m) at max beam

Sometimes you have to read the original post before you start writing.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Baldur said:
21 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

BS designed an IOR boat? I dont think his boats follow any box rules, nor any rules at all. 

I was replying to a post in which the ref to IOR had been removed.  See below

On 11/29/2020 at 6:54 AM, SloopJonB said:
On 11/29/2020 at 6:39 AM, Somebody Else said:

FTFY

8 hours ago, JimBowie said:

So I was twice as right?  Or twice as wrong?  YOU decide.

50%

Which is, coincidentally, 50/85 of 85% complete.

What makes it really spooky is that of those two numbers, both are not 42!!!

Hidden meanings or what?

Ok, since I’ve hopefully preserved my credibility by producing the pics of Take and Gary Jobson chinning and grinning, would you believe that my mentor sailor friend who’s helped me with my sail plans on the Turbo Ensign  and Gauntlet is planning a Merlin design main for his X-21, which is as turbo’d as I though it could get?! Told me and the twin just yesterday!

Really long sentence, however, he wants a fathead but doesn’t want the full top batten to interfere with rolling the sail to the boom for storage.

Go the Merlin!!

How about Dudley Dix’s Shearwater39 for tumble home?

A610C0D4-62F8-4B76-82D4-26B075F67875.jpeg

2A784211-5318-4CAB-B6A8-8180E5F0D23E.jpeg

1 hour ago, Buck Turgidson said:

zero tumblehome.

That deserves a black mark for Twolegged?

Yet you approved of the Red boat?

• Like 1

I christen thee

[dramatic pause]

'Brazilian Butt'

[sound of a bottle of self-tanning lotion bouncing off the hull].

A001-2019-08-Atalanta-Launch-Days-2-and-

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

That deserves a black mark for Twolegged?

Yet you approved of the Red boat?

Someone got there before me. But I see the whole thread is off topic now so meh....

As usual, Wiki has a good introduction. 1906 warships:  Good sea behavior for passage making but poor stability in battle from flooding. My guess due to lack of reserve buoyancy and less righting moment with more submersion. Same problem as over driving a sailboat. 

27 minutes ago, KC64000 said:

My favourite....

Evergreen_upwind.jpg

That boat epitomized everything that was wrong with the IOR.

I mean seriously - you have to have one of the top riggers in the world onboard just to keep the rig standing?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

How about Dudley Dix’s Shearwater39 for tumble home?

A610C0D4-62F8-4B76-82D4-26B075F67875.jpeg

2A784211-5318-4CAB-B6A8-8180E5F0D23E.jpeg

nice ass, almost zero tumblehome

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pironiero said:

nice ass

...and what a rack...

• Like 1

Ranger 37 has always been sexy to me, no matter how hard they are to sail.

One of my favorite pics, even if it doesn't show off the tumblehome that well

Vetra%20Ranger%2037%20peut%20etre.jpg

• Like 2

Max tumblehome pic

Mai tai yacht charters, Private yacht charter san diego, San diego yacht charter, Yacht charters san diego, Boat charters san diego, San diego boat charter, San diego yacht rental, San diego bay tour, Sun diego charter, San diego yacht rental, Yacht rentals san diego, Booze cruise san diego, San diego booze cruise, Rent a yacht san diego, San diego yacht rentals, San Diego Private Fishing Boats, San Diego Sunset Cruise, San Diego Dinner Cruise, Catalina Yacht Charters, Catalina Snorkeling, Catalina Live Aboard, San Diego Yacht Charters, San Diego Booze Cruise, San Diego Boat Charters, San Diego Fishing Charters, San Diego Sunset Cruise, San Diego Private Yachts, Bachelorette Party San Diego, Bachelorette Boat Cruise San Diego, San Diego Bachelorette Party, Bachelorette Boat party, San Diego Boat Party, Bachelorette Cruise, San Diego Dinner Cruise, San Diego Sunset Sail

• Like 1