15 hours ago, NaptimeAgain said:

Whatever shovel you use, the strain will be related to how much you fill it.

Just Get it Overwith, Have sum FUN

Do it Wrong

Make a mockery of driveway clearing

Mark yer Territory

Go Back home and take the boat out in the Warm Sunshine

Post Pix of clearing that driveway "ONCE" whenever the topic comes up for years and years to come

5 hours ago, NaptimeAgain said:

Checked out the snowblower today - starts and runs. 

You joke.  We got hit this last weekend.  I started and ran mine weeks ago.  My elderly neighbors didn't start theirs and it hasn't started yet.  Not sure why it isn't firing.  It has fuel. Spark just doesn't feel like there is any compression.  Of course the new pull stars are so soft it can be hard to tell.  

24 minutes ago, peragrin said:

You joke.  We got hit this last weekend.  I started and ran mine weeks ago.  My elderly neighbors didn't start theirs and it hasn't started yet.  Not sure why it isn't firing.  It has fuel. Spark just doesn't feel like there is any compression.  Of course the new pull stars are so soft it can be hard to tell.  

Old neighbors gave me their electric start Toro single stage when they moved to Central America. Doesn't snow that much in Naptown but every once in a while we get dumped on.  It didn't crank well with the pull start but after 2 tries on the start button it roared to life.

15 minutes ago, NaptimeAgain said:

Old neighbors gave me their electric start Toro single stage when they moved to Central America. Doesn't snow that much in Naptown but every once in a while we get dumped on.  It didn't crank well with the pull start but after 2 tries on the start button it roared to life.

Tried their electric and the pull start and neither would get it to fire.  But it was 18 degrees out and she left fuel in it since last year.  I figure something needs to warm up and unclog.

1 minute ago, peragrin said:

Tried their electric and the pull start and neither would get it to fire.  But it was 18 degrees out and she left fuel in it since last year.  I figure something needs to warm up and unclog.

It had been run to dry after getting rehabbed by a local dealer last spring.  Bought fresh gas today and added the 2 stroke oil I used in my OBs.  Just a bit to run it for a couple mins and dry again.

21 minutes ago, peragrin said:

Mainjet, accessible though the float bowl is clogged. The mainjet is either the bronze screw holding the float bowl on the carb or straight above the screw (in the same bore) holding the floatbowl onto the carb. Clean it with a single wire from a wire brush or spray carb cleaner through it. 10 minute fix. Do not lose the float pivot pin.

11 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

Sheesh. You guys are gonna shame me into trying my ariens that I havent started in 2 years...  worst part is I’ll start it and never use t.  Since snow keeps me at work until the campus is clean..

We need you and nap time to keep yours at the ready to avoid major snow. I’ve done my part. I lubricated the pins and checked the fasteners on the plow blade for the SxS. Ran the SXS in 4wd low on a nearby field to make sure all the servos and switches work. If snow threatens, I’ll install the blade and back it into the shed so it’s ready. That will stop just about any blizzard. 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

We need you and nap time to keep yours at the ready to avoid major snow. I’ve done my part. I lubricated the pins and checked the fasteners on the plow blade for the SxS. Ran the SXS in 4wd low on a nearby field to make sure all the servos and switches work. If snow threatens, I’ll install the blade and back it into the shed so it’s ready. That will stop just about any blizzard. 

We had a very small driveway in the old house, and if I parked the cars on it they would cover all the pavement.  Lots more driveway at the new place, and I'd hate to have to shovel it all by hand.  So couldn't take the chance of the snowblower not working.  If it's powdery I suppose the leaf blower could help in a light dusting.

1 hour ago, Innocent Bystander said:

we talked a friend in NH into getting a whole house generator once her old man left her with the McMansion.

Her neighbors are ecstatic as they have not had a power outage in 2 years since she had it installed.

Follow these 3 tips and a snowblower will start every time

1. run it completely dry in the spring.  Add new gas in late fall with a double hit of gas stabilizer in it (non ethonal gas is even better).  and i mean NEW gas, not the shit left over from mowing the lawn that is chock full of water from all the summer humidity.  That old stuff can be dumped into a half full car gas tank on your way to refill the gas tank.

2. replace the spark plug every other year with a fresh one that you have gapped to specification.

3. After each use, shut off the fuel and let it run itself dry.

This technique also works for lawn mowers, garden tractors, rototillers, chain saws, pressure washers, and log splitters.

Most motors do not die. Their owners kill them due to negligence.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

last year we spent 60K on a new piece of equipment for plowing the artificial field.  the only hours we put on it were from the training and occasional use moving mulch around.  Spend it on equipment or overtime.  either way the money will be spent.

IB  I will try to fire up the ariens today or tomorrow.  pretty sure I left it dry when I put it away last...

On 12/8/2020 at 5:21 AM, Marcjsmith said:

i dont disagree,  but the with the scoop shovel,  the snow stays on the shovel,  the old school flat shovels, they are usually wide, and when you go to try to pickup the shovel with snow on it,  some fall off creating an unbalanced load, ect.   personally I like sitting the cab of one of my Ventracs with a rotating broom.  i'll get carpel tunnel from playing with the hydraulic lever to angle the broom,  but my feet are warm and back is safe. its only good a few inches snow at a time..  but it will go anywhere.

LB540_OrrNightB_1536.jpg

WTF is that white stuff on the ground???

Torro update.  Why did I fuck around with the electric shit for 3 years.  OMG...  Started right up, chunks through even the plow mound at the end of the driveway.  It's the cheap one, but it went through 2" easily, 3" frozen the other day.  best $160 I ever spent...  Love black friday...  

• Like 1

We got more snow last night than the combined total for last season.

But last season we had a total of 0.6 inches and last night we got just under an inch.  That melted away from the driveway by evening.

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

One model's take on what we may get.  Got the beast ready to go.

144493362_10225347410654482_473042303581140579_o.jpg

You know it is kinda depressing maryland is expecting more snow than new hampshire.  And parts of NY are 3-5 feet lower than normal now.

52 minutes ago, peragrin said:
18 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

One model's take on what we may get.  Got the beast ready to go.

144493362_10225347410654482_473042303581140579_o.jpg

You know it is kinda depressing maryland is expecting more snow than new hampshire.  And parts of NY are 3-5 feet lower than normal now.

Well, I did say that was one model.  And, it sure doesn't look like we're getting anything like that.  When this system clears out on Tuesday, we may have 6".

sigh

I drove through town with my little P/U loaded with snowblower to clear daughters walkway.  Went past 3 snowblowers sitting in the middle of sidewalks, clear path behind, 8-10" of snow ahead, no one in sight.  I figured "out of gas" and on my return trip each was gone and snow cleared....:D

Only about 4", in the first round.  Then, a nice crust of ice on top from the freezing rain.  Snowtorious just chewed it up and spit it out.  Local forecaster says another round coming, with (maybe) up to 4" more.  Hope so.

145316291_10225365850915477_4686765536114718100_n.jpg

barely over an inch on the ground around here..... I know some of it went away from rain mix, but way over forecasted here

• 3 weeks later...

When we moved to Northwood NH, and lived 1/2 mile up a class 6 unimproved dirt road I bought a 16 HP Husqvarna with tracks to clear the gravel drives and path it worked fine. New girlfriend (now wife for 11 years) was not comfortable with it, as she would not remember to let go of the clutches and it took her for walks...

Solution was a 2005 Silverado V8 with a 7' plow. If I was astute I put it on before the snowstorm, and could clear out to the hard road in about 4 minutes, while in a warm cab, sipping a hot coffee.

Previously had a Blazer with a 6' plow which late wife could use with hand controls... got lots of neighbor credit when the lady in the wheelchair cleared your driveway.

• Plows don't throw gravel over the house, and in the spring a quick back drag puts it where it was rather than your lawnmower doing it for you. 
  • If you have an ATV or a UTV, you can get a 4' model and clear paths and walks. 
  • If you have a "farm" you should have an ATV or UTV... 
  • You can do favors, or just push a berm across the *sshole neighbors drive in the dark... 

On 12/8/2020 at 6:41 PM, Marcjsmith said:

Sheesh. You guys are gonna shame me into trying my ariens that I havent started in 2 years...  worst part is I’ll start it and never use t.  Since snow keeps me at work until the campus is clean..

how's that working for you so far?

2 hours ago, LionessRacing said:
  • You can do favors, or just push a berm across the *sshole neighbors drive in the dark... 

co worker in Salem NH lived on a lake with very narrow roads.  It was a bad road in the summertime.  In the winter it made a luge track look like a highway.

Every fricking storm, this tool across the street would wait until  9 pm or so and then come out and plow his short driveway and screw up all the work his neighbors had done by pushing it out and then pushing it into the neighbor's clean drives.  Talking nicely to him went nowhere..  It was time to make a point.  Next major dump, they clean their drives and sure enough about 9 pm he comes out and cleans his drive at the expense of everyone else before going to bed.  Fine...   They wait until 2 am and them start to gather snow, taking parts of snowbanks up and down the street.  all done with no lights whatsoever and their blades an inch off the road so there was no noise.   One neighbor pushes all the gathered snow into the tool's driveway.  Pushed it hard around his pickup.   Next morning time to go to work and this guy has 6 feet of packed snow in his drive.  It is so packed the truck cannot start to move it.  The wet snow had solidified overnight.  He is screwed to go to work.  Spent hours getting the truck out so he could carve it up as NOBODY with a snowblower was helping him.

The tool never opened his yap.   They never had an issue with the tool after that.

• Like 1

I used it at home yesterday. Started and ran fine.  Can’t complain about th snow too much  only slightly worse than the last few years 

Went in yesterday and today at 3 am. Snow I can deal with,  the damn ice, it’s all we can do to keep things passable.  And the next two days or so. It’s not going to get above freezing for very long so we end up with some melt and refreeze.  

A shitty pic from my office yesterday   Better than shoveling

2E6ED7CA-1BF3-44F1-AF7F-CA4D24E4AC24.jpeg

On 2/1/2021 at 12:41 PM, Bus Driver said:

Only about 4", in the first round.  Then, a nice crust of ice on top from the freezing rain.  Snowtorious just chewed it up and spit it out.  Local forecaster says another round coming, with (maybe) up to 4" more.  Hope so.

145316291_10225365850915477_4686765536114718100_n.jpg

Wait! You live in a condo and you still have to blow your snow? I'd re-examine your HOA fee schedule man, that ain't right!

9 hours ago, woodpecker said:

Toro issues nationwide recall 

Don’t know about you,  but safety device be damned,  no chance I’m putting any appendage within arms reach of a rotating snow blower auger

Weve got one that mounts to a skid loader of sorts,  looks like not only will it kill you quite easily, it would hurt the entire time. 

10 hours ago, Willin' said:

Wait! You live in a condo and you still have to blow your snow? I'd re-examine your HOA fee schedule man, that ain't right!

It's a court of 12 townhouses.  When we bought, 22 years ago, they had a deal with a guy who had a 2WD pickup.  They paid him an annual "retainer" of $2,000 to be "available".  If we got 3 or more inches, he'd plow and bill us.  Anything deep, he got stuck and we had to dig him out, and he still got paid.  Ridiculous.

I pushed hard for the snowblower.  About 15 years ago we got the Ariens.  Cost less than the annual retainer.  Maintenance every other year and gas means we drop about $100 every other year.  I truly enjoy doing the job.  Clear the drive, then the sidewalks in the court.  After that, I clear the sidewalks along the road out front, about 2 blocks in either direction.

Here we are back in 2010, when the beast earned his keep.

144139491_10225342522572283_6907024285313195907_n.jpg

• Like 1

I bought our Ariens 1028 in 2001 and it's still going strong despite all my dumbshiterry. Using a spare bolt instead of a sheer pin will cost you a new gear box, but fortunately the mechanic saw the potential that I hadn't learned my lesson and installed a much heavier duty industrial gearbox. Other than annual oil change/ lube, the odd replacement belt, shoes and drivewheel and a new starter this winter it has been pretty much unstoppable.

A couple of years back I was looking into buying a new one,  checked out the quality of what's out there now and decided to just fix up and keep the old battle wagon.  I have roughly 600' of gravel driveway, some of it very steep, and have pretty much pushed this thing as hard as it can be pushed. She just won't quit!

enhance

enhance