Cayard to run US Sailing

Probably no one really cares but this is mildly interesting. Sounds like the board of US Sailing seriously screwed up, let Geirhart get away with too much, the finances are dire. Apparently the AmericaOne Foundation is going to toss them a lifeline and Cayard is going to run things for a while.

Not sure why a guy like Cayard would want any operational involvement, or why he’d ever agree to have a board give him oversight. 

21 minutes ago, dacapo said:
6 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Will we all have buy lime green spinnakers now?

is neon orange ok?

foire 2021, anny neon collore yes, butte grace perode runs oute and ist niew sailles foire 2022!                          :)

4 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

foire 2021, anny neon collore yes, butte grace perode runs oute and ist niew sailles foire 2022!                          :)

haaaa...but it measures in as a spinnaker....not a FFS ;-) 

14 hours ago, sunseeker said:

Probably no one really cares but this is mildly interesting. Sounds like the board of US Sailing seriously screwed up, let Geirhart get away with too much, the finances are dire. Apparently the AmericaOne Foundation is going to toss them a lifeline and Cayard is going to run things for a while.

Not sure why a guy like Cayard would want any operational involvement, or why he’d ever agree to have a board give him oversight. 

Maybe because he is really good at that kind of thing?

• Like 3

I hope he is more open than 15 years ago.

As the sailing reporter for the largest newspaper in the southeast USA at the time he wouldn't acknowledge me except to smirk.

Star Southern Hemespheres, Davis Island Yacht Club, Tampa. Needless to say I didn't say much about that event in the weekly sailing column. Dave Ellis 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, sailwriter said:

I hope he is more open than 15 years ago.

As the sailing reporter for the largest newspaper in the southeast USA at the time he wouldn't acknowledge me except to smirk.

Star Southern Hemespheres, Davis Island Yacht Club, Tampa. Needless to say I didn't say much about that event in the weekly sailing column. Dave Ellis 

sondes pearsonalle...............                   :)

as a board member of the national organizing body of a different sport, the challenge is... it's easy to find someone who knows the sport, it's easy to find someone who knows how to run a business, but finding someone who knows the sport and knows how to run a business is surprisingly hard.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, sledracr said:

as a board member of the national organizing body of a different sport, the challenge is... it's easy to find someone who knows the sport, it's easy to find someone who knows how to run a business, but finding someone who knows the sport and knows how to run a business is surprisingly hard.

Exactly. You have to have the right mix of acumen and passion (and a willingness to work for a nonprofit salary). I've seen passionate people with little professional sense jump on top of tables in a bid to CHANGE EVERYTHING, but mostly just spin their wheels, and I've seen good businesspeople with no passion for the subject matter flat-out not get it.

17 hours ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

Maybe because he is really good at that kind of thing?

Cayard has only done one thing his entire life, run a private recreational program for very wealthy guys. Only accountable to one guy. Even his position at StFYC is much the same, and not without controversy because friends of mine who know him very well and who are members say he’s just too absent too often. 

To run us sailing you need to be a consensus builder, be extremely gregarious and open to conversation with anyone and everyone. Cayard’s reputation is anything but that.

hes going to find out very quickly that the entrenched board mostly does not give a tiny fuck about racing. There’s more racing sailors on the board now than in recent past, but one key board member only cares about training. The inertia and systems in place at us sailing clearly favor everything but racing. 

Cayard can’t suddenly come in and run the place by fiat. 

if this is such a good idea, why is there radio silence from us sailing?

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, how do you see US Sailing's role in the United States ? What should it be doing, building, and in what areas should it be more active ?

Helping in the organization and tracking the results of races of all kind and at all levels nationwide for example ?

I'm pretty curious to know what US sailors think US Sailing should be all about...

8 hours ago, Sisu3360 said:

Exactly. You have to have the right mix of acumen and passion (and a willingness to work for a nonprofit salary). I've seen passionate people with little professional sense jump on top of tables in a bid to CHANGE EVERYTHING, but mostly just spin their wheels, and I've seen good businesspeople with no passion for the subject matter flat-out not get it.

Non-profits and charities have found they can pay massive salaries.  The last guy at US Sailing got $280,000 in 2018.  There's your "nonprofit salary."

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Non-profits and charities have found they can pay massive salaries.  The last guy at US Sailing got $280,000 in 2018.  There's your "nonprofit salary."

Charity work is big busine$$

• Like 2
3 hours ago, ant1 said:

Just out of curiosity, how do you see US Sailing's role in the United States ? What should it be doing, building, and in what areas should it be more active ?

Helping in the organization and tracking the results of races of all kind and at all levels nationwide for example ?

I'm pretty curious to know what US sailors think US Sailing should be all about...

I think their primary focus should be on managing racing.  Administering the rating rules and making race management and judging training more accessible.  

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, mad said:
1 hour ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Charity work is big busine$$

Allwayes beene so...............                         :)

On 12/4/2020 at 1:25 PM, MikeR80 said:

Paul is a great guy, US Sailing is lucky to have him.  I sure hope he has total control and doesnt have to deal with any nonsense from the board (or they let him put a new board together)

I hope he kicks some serious ass and fires some of the employees who think they are in charge.

2 hours ago, JimBowie said:

Is Paul a cunt to?

You are a kuuuuuunt

8 hours ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

I wasn't talking about the CEO. Most rank-and-file nonprofit employees can make much more following their career field in a different industry.

8 hours ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

The average Chief Executive Officer salary in the United States is $765,140 as of November 25, 2020, but the range typically falls between $578,224 and $985,649 and 90% make more than $408,046.

Lots of room to debate if CEOs are worth what they are paid but if you are competitive in the "CEO game" then you go to US Sailing because of love for the sport. If you go to US Sailing for the money then you  are not a player in the CEO space.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, ant1 said:

Us sailing is obligated to prepare a team for the Olympics. That’s the reason for their authority in this country. So to support that they need to support anything that makes a race run. Rules, race officers, judges, appeals. After that, everything else is a “nice to have”.

12 minutes ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

We are talking about a career field in sailing.

There are plenty of support roles that involve transferable skills that any customer-facing company/organization needs. Marketing, finance, member service, etc....

22 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

sondes pearsonalle...............                   :)

A little.

I was able to talk with and get quotes from top sailors from Elvstrom to Baird over the years. Based in St. Pete, there were many events that brought interesting folks.

Paul Cayard was one of them. But, rather than building the sport with media exposure, he had the reputation of rebuffing.

Now, how is that going to work out at US SAILING if he has not mellowed? Dave Ellis

On 12/5/2020 at 5:28 AM, Glenn McCarthy said:

Non-profits and charities have found they can pay massive salaries.  

the "and" is important in that sentence.  It's important to understand that not all non-profits are charities.  There are something like 30 different types of businesses that can qualify for non-profit status, "charity" is just one of them. Being a non-profit doesn't mean the business can't make money or pay employees at market rates - it means that there are no shareholders (any "profit" has to be committed back to the org's mission, not distributed as dividends)

The Board I serve is a non-profit sports org, with a mission to "promote national and international amateur competition" in the sport.  We pay our CEO a market-based salary.... each year we do a review of the salary range for a CEO of a non-profit of like size in our market, and our bylaws requires that our CEO's salary be no higher than the midpoint of that range.  Our CEO currently makes something like $140k, including some metric-driven incentives, for running a non-profit with ~$3M in revenue in the northwestern US.  And he's proving to be worth every penny - we've seen more growth (both members and participation) in the past 4 years than we had in the prior 20. Our previous guy was a waste of oxygen.

I have no idea what's in US Sailing's bylaws, but I suspect US Sailing's charter is the same ("to promote national and international competition").  And IMO, if they want to pay a CEO what the market says is acceptable for running a non-profit of similar revenue and geography, in order to get an *effective* CEO... that doesn't bother me.  As long as he does a job that warrants that salary.  If he doesn't?  Just like any company, it's incumbent on the Board to fire the CEO and find someone who will.

On 12/5/2020 at 3:09 AM, ant1 said:

The US is far too big and diverse in sailing regions for an East Coast based org to govern.

The rules are decided at the international level. 

World Sailing needs to recognize at least that the East, Gulf, West along with the Great lakes are so different. Even the people are different. I'm tired of giving my money to USS.

Hell the are countries with less population and coast than the So Cal area.

1 hour ago, Meat Wad said:

The US is far too big and diverse in sailing regions for an East Coast based org to govern.

The rules are decided at the international level. 

World Sailing needs to recognize at least that the East, Gulf, West along with the Great lakes are so different. Even the people are different. I'm tired of giving my money to USS.

Hell the are countries with less population and coast than the So Cal area.

So the United States should get to send four teams to the Olympics in each Olympic class  because each of our coasts is different?  Maine's a lot different from FLA too, though, and the PNW is way different from San Diego.  And what about Alaska?  Does that mean we should really send seven teams for each class - one from each "different" area? What if two Laser sailors from Miami are better than the best one in San Diego?  Do we have to send the one from San Diego even if they're not as good, because that region has to be represented?  US Sailing will have to up the amount they spend on  Olympic development if your idea is going to be implemented - septupling the size of the U.S. Olympic Team.  

Or is the implication that USSailing should be governed from the middle of country, rather than on the East Coast?  Kansas is about in the middle, no?  Is Wichita more sailing-oriented than Kansas City?   

There are countries with more sailors and less coast than the United States or So Cal.  Does that mean they should have more say in the Olympics and the RRS than we do?  

Getting sailors to come to a consensus is not easy.  US Sailing needs a good person to run it.  We'll find out if this change works. 

1 hour ago, PaulK said:

So the United States should get to send four teams to the Olympics in each Olympic class  because each of our coasts is different?  Maine's a lot different from FLA too, though, and the PNW is way different from San Diego.  And what about Alaska?  Does that mean we should really send seven teams for each class - one from each "different" area? What if two Laser sailors from Miami are better than the best one in San Diego?  Do we have to send the one from San Diego even if they're not as good, because that region has to be represented?  US Sailing will have to up the amount they spend on  Olympic development if your idea is going to be implemented - septupling the size of the U.S. Olympic Team.  

Or is the implication that USSailing should be governed from the middle of country, rather than on the East Coast?  Kansas is about in the middle, no?  Is Wichita more sailing-oriented than Kansas City?   

There are countries with more sailors and less coast than the United States or So Cal.  Does that mean they should have more say in the Olympics and the RRS than we do?  

Getting sailors to come to a consensus is not easy.  US Sailing needs a good person to run it.  We'll find out if this change works. 

Olympics who?

On 12/5/2020 at 6:25 PM, sunseeker said:

Us sailing is obligated to prepare a team for the Olympics. That’s the reason for their authority in this country. So to support that they need to support anything that makes a race run. Rules, race officers, judges, appeals. After that, everything else is a “nice to have”.

+1

On 12/4/2020 at 1:25 PM, MikeR80 said:

Paul is a great guy, US Sailing is lucky to have him.  I sure hope he has total control and doesnt have to deal with any nonsense from the board (or they let him put a new board together)

And a great sailor.   60+ y.o. and still going hard.

Hate on the politics & b.s. but on the water?  Pfft....will still kick your ass.

You guys did watch this yes?

On 12/6/2020 at 1:39 PM, PaulK said:

Geographically the USA is twice the size of the EU and has 2/3 the population.  Sounds like to be equitable we should get  additional spots. It seems representing a small country gives an individual sailor easier entry and we all have heard stories of people racing for their country of ancestry to get that opportunity. 

1 hour ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

Geographically the USA is twice the size of the EU and has 2/3 the population.  Sounds like to be equitable we should get  additional spots. It seems representing a small country gives an individual sailor easier entry and we all have heard stories of people racing for their country of ancestry to get that opportunity. 

The sarcasm of my earlier post was apparently not sufficiently obvious. The point is that the USA, though big,  is sparsely populated, and has FEWER sailors than the EU and other places. The USA should therefore probably have fewer Olympic spots, not more. France, for example, has more than 220,000 members in the Fedération Française de Voile (FFV) according to their website. https://www.ffvoile.fr/ffv/Statistiques/V1.5/BilanAnnuel.asp   The RYA in England has about 110,000.   https://www.rya.org.uk/about-us/media-centre/Pages/rya-statistics.aspx   Australia Sailing has more than 122,000 members. https://cdn.revolutionise.com.au/site/osdgqx1gcmp5wduz.pdf  You get the idea.  US Sailing's  2019 Annual Report says there were 42,169 members that year.  https://cdn.ussailing.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/2019-Annual-Report.pdf.   No wonder that our input on which boats should be Olympic classes is generally ignored. 

US Sailing is the sport's National Authority in the USA because it prepares Olympic teams.  If it didn't, it would not be the National Authority; it HAS to prepare Olympic competitors. The fact that there are actually so FEW sailors in the USA means that it should be easier to get on to the Olympic team here than in many other countries,  where there are more sailors vying for the spots. The fact that conditions are different in different parts of the country should have nothing to do with how many people, or crews, make the team. Competitors have to be able to sail - and win -  in whatever conditions come up wherever the Olympics take place: Rio, Tokyo, Los Angeles, Acapulco, Kiel, Qingdao,Sydney... they vary quite a bit.  The whole point of the Olympics is excellence, regardless of where you're from. 

US Sailing has a big job to do.  Getting sailors to come to a consensus is not easy.  US Sailing needs a good person to run it.  We'll find out if this change works.  

12 minutes ago, PaulK said:

US Sailing is the sport's National Authority in the USA because it prepares Olympic teams.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/30470282/breakdancing-gets-olympic-status-debut-paris-games-2024

Who/what is the National Authority for “Breakdancing”?  Are they going to hold it in a gymnasium, or out in the street?  Is a Criminal Record required?  What about drug tests, is weed a Performance Enhancing Drug?  What about steroids?  I like Breakdancing, but I’m not gonna get on my ass and scratch, if that’s what you mean!    

Vote for Pablo!

• Like 1
On 12/5/2020 at 1:32 PM, Sisu3360 said:

Does US Sailing actually employ anyone with experience in running associations? As someone employed in the association world, it’s a unique industry that not everyone excels in.

That sir, is an uncommonly astute observation. Especially here.

What even is the use of US Sailing, other than taking my money and spamming my inbox? The guys we actually send to the Olympics prepare and train essentially on their own dime and with their own coaches. The "development" team is a joke and consists of any 18 year olds who spend their winters in Miami and their summers in Europe on their parent's money. Does USS even manage the sailing centers, or do they rely on private charity for those too? Their one good asset is Dave Perry, and I'm pretty sure he could do what he does without them.

• Like 1

Wellll, I'm renewing my USSailing membership,  had let it expire quite awhile ago,  want to give them a chance with new blood. Plus coming out of this pandemic I have hope for a revival of interest in sailing. I sold an Opti and a Sabot this summer and they both went to grown men who had sailed as kids, wanted to get back on the water and were low on funds cause of Covid shutdowns. They'll hopefully move up in boats as their finances recover. That first time back on the water under sail after a long layoff can be magical and set sailing's hooks in you.

5 hours ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

What does US Sailing do anymore?! RRS are set just leave them alone!...The "sport" is largely managed at a local level now.

RRS are never "set". They cannot be effectively managed at a local level as it would make regional or inter-regional or national or international competition unworkable.

Did you ever try to be a judge for a kiteboard fleet race using the old RRS before the new amendment? I did. Try to figure out what to do when kites get entangled 100' in the air. Who was on port? starboard? clear ahead? clear astern? Overlapped? 

Do you remember when leeward boats used to deliberately hit the weather boat to draw a foul or prevent mast abeam? I loved that, but I was the helmsman on someone else's boat who was responsible for the deductible.

etc etc etc

18 hours ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

RRS are never "set". They cannot be effectively managed at a local level as it would make regional or inter-regional or national or international competition unworkable.

Did you ever try to be a judge for a kiteboard fleet race using the old RRS before the new amendment? I did. Try to figure out what to do when kites get entangled 100' in the air. Who was on port? starboard? clear ahead? clear astern? Overlapped? 

Do you remember when leeward boats used to deliberately hit the weather boat to draw a foul or prevent mast abeam? I loved that, but I was the helmsman on someone else's boat who was responsible for the deductible.

etc etc etc

They should set them instead of tinkering. The term "good enough" very applicable. 

• Like 1
On 12/18/2020 at 10:39 AM, stayoutofthemiddle said:

They should set them instead of tinkering. The term "good enough" very applicable. 

Have you ever heard of any successful individual or organization that had "good enough" as an objective?

I am very pleased you are not in charge since you don't have any idea what you are talking about. Are you on an appeals committee? A certified judge? You cannot be if you say such silly things.

If US Sailing "Left the RRS alone," you'd see the following:

• When someone on port hit and sank you, their insurance would deny to pay based on assumed risk. 
  • The Olympic trials would be due for another multi-year lawsuit about qualifying because of a redress hearing not complying with the Ted Stevens Amateur Sports Act. 
  • We wouldn't have been able to go to 3 minute starts and club racing during COVID with a bare-bones RC.

There is another thing here that I need to bring up, on the same tack, and that being support for not only the national organising body which I am realizing is important to our sport but also for support of our local yacht clubs/sailing clubs. I know many sailors who are members of their one design fleet and race in the yacht club races on a regular basis (because one design fleets don't hold their own races) but dont join/help/volunteer. I'm talking about local, small, t shirt and shorts yacht/sailing clubs that  get the permits, set/maintain the marks, maintain and operate the committee boats, provide the RC and obtain the insurance to hold the events. We need to step up, quit our bitching and roll up our sleeves. Coming out of this friggin pandemic will provide opportunity to grow our sport. I want more boats to race against!

On 12/16/2020 at 4:26 PM, Latadjust said:

Wellll, I'm renewing my USSailing membership,  had let it expire quite awhile ago,  want to give them a chance with new blood. Plus coming out of this pandemic I have hope for a revival of interest in sailing. I sold an Opti and a Sabot this summer and they both went to grown men who had sailed as kids, wanted to get back on the water and were low on funds cause of Covid shutdowns. They'll hopefully move up in boats as their finances recover. That first time back on the water under sail after a long layoff can be magical and set sailing's hooks in you.

u sold an opti to a grown man? WTF?

• Like 2
On 12/19/2020 at 2:16 PM, SF Woody Sailor said:

Have you ever heard of any successful individual or organization that had "good enough" as an objective?

I am very pleased you are not in charge since you don't have any idea what you are talking about. Are you on an appeals committee? A certified judge? You cannot be if you say such silly things.

Actually in the REAL world, it is done all time quite successfully..

You get to 95 percent and you move on to something else that needs fixing instead of focusing on one item since there are never enough resources or time.

If you fixate on one item, you then start to dick with wording to show you are doing something, which only confuses people.

Lord knows those chuckle heads have scads of issues that need addressing.

Actually a triage plan might be a good idea for whomever takes over that organization.

Once you have gotten all the fires under control, you can always come back, review how things are working and then start another round of improvements.

• Like 1

I met him in 1997 when the Whitbread last came to Fremantle and he left a lasting impression the 13 year old me. And to this day, I still think he is a cunt.

Kimo Worthington on the other hand was a genuine ripper guy. He gave us plenty of time.