Sign in to follow this  
Nubben

New autopilot series coming anytime soon?

We have an spx-10 and linear drive on our J/97 and was looking at improving that setup at some point. 

The APs currently on the market do not look so impressive though. Raymarine evolution series is quite old, b&g nac-2/3 is not really known to me and b&g 5000 seems overly expensive.

I was hoping there would be something new on the market soon for example from Raymarine or perhaps Garmin?

Usage is mostly cruising and DH racing. Would appreciate something which can manage downwind in 20kts with the big A2 up.

Would appreciate something which can manage downwind in 20kts with the big A2 up.

You are dreaming of something that doesn't exist.   An A2 in 20k needs to be aggressively trimming on almost every wave you accelerate down.    At best you could hope to have a pilot drive in those conditions would be an A5 or smaller that is overtimed and the pilot steers to wind and better be something on the level of a B&G or NKE.

31 minutes ago, solosailor said:

You are dreaming of something that doesn't exist.   An A2 in 20k needs to be aggressively trimming on almost every wave you accelerate down.    At best you could hope to have a pilot drive in those conditions would be an A5 or smaller that is overtimed and the pilot steers to wind and better be something on the level of a B&G or NKE.

Yeah, Nubbin, you need to wait for the Full Self-driving Model X A/P from Tesla. The one that has sensors all around so to anticipate the waves and puffs. Reacting to the gyro's is far too late for skilled drivers.

If price is not an issue, NKE will do exactly what you expect. A lot worse is done on a daily basis in the Figaro class.

I spoke to Pascal Loison (of Fastnet fame) who won the first leg of the Transquadra on his JPK960, in 35 knots they would hoist the A5 on the pole, put the NKE and go to sleep...

7 minutes ago, Sebyseb said:

If price is not an issue, NKE will do exactly what you expect. A lot worse is done on a daily basis in the Figaro class.

I spoke to Pascal Loison (of Fastnet fame) who won the first leg of the Transquadra on his JPK960, in 35 knots they would hoist the A5 on the pole, put the NKE and go to sleep...

Thanks, I have understood that the NKE pilot needs a lot of tweaking in French though.

To the rest, to my mind both evolution and h5000 probably can handle downwind in 20kts of breeze so a bit surprised about the comments. Mostly in that wind it would be waves generating problems. But indeed, I agree to the fact that trimming is super-crucial in heavier wind, therefore need for a good pilot!

I have the same program and haven't seen much new stuff on the market so going back to the usual suspects

NKE needs tweaking but we have a lot of Figaro sailors to get advice from, and they know the tricks as NKE is part of the OD thing. The newer stuff looks dope and easier to calibrate, NKE is very reactive and on't let you down.

Top-end B&G will perform the same for roughly the same high price. Interestingly more B&G system in IMOCa when most sailors come from NKE dominated Figaro and Minitransat, but I personally found my H2000 set-up very unfriendly and the after-sales support totally inexistant.

Raymarine Evo has mixed reviews and many good things are said of the Pelagic in this forum (unknown in Europe). Because I'm on a budget Pelagic seems to do the trick.

Good ride, the 97!

Yes, an A5 like I mentioned but pilots really can't drive a masthead A2 in 20k in any real sea state.    Maybe in flat water.  An A2 usually requires frequent aggressive trimming as driving alone will not keep up with the luff collapsing and refilling violently, even with a great pilot or driver.   There is a reason the IMOCAs use running sailing with a flat entry and a torque rope.

I have no problem leaving driving to the pilot in 20kts with big kites or gennakers on my Figaro 3 with an H5000 setup and I have to imagine a similar Level NKE install would be just as capable. Having the pilot is what frees you up to trim the big sail when shorthanded. 

Of course you can as having the pilot drive while you trim is different that having a pilot drive the boat unattended.    

• Like 1

With the H5000, ask around and learn if you need the h5000 motion sensor to get the performance you seek. Such sensors help insure the wind sensor output compensates for mast motion from many sources including the forces when your kite fills.

On 12/8/2020 at 7:39 AM, b393capt said:

With the H5000, ask around and learn if you need the h5000 motion sensor to get the performance you seek. Such sensors help insure the wind sensor output compensates for mast motion from many sources including the forces when your kite fills.

Get the motion sensor in any case, it will improve TWA, & Tws.