24 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Congrats on finding a buyer... or being found by them... and good luck with the survey and sale

Can one sleep under the overpass in NZ?

FB- Doug

I think you have to find a flyover to sleep under in NZ.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

Congrats, BJ. "The happiest days in the life of a boat owner are..." I have never understood the bit about being happy to say goodbye to your boat. Relieved maybe, in some cases.

I've never understood that, either. It's almost always been a sad day to bid goodbye to a boat, but I've liked every boat I've owned even when it was time to move on.

This experience has been nothing but sad, even though we've decided it's time to end our cruise on the sea (for now) we have 14 years of memories on this boat. Our kids were 6 and 9 when we got her, she centered so many of our families experiences together even before we took off to see the world.

The weirdest thought will be not owning a boat. There are some upsides to that, I admit - the ever present punch-down list will go away, for example. But except for one miserable summer, we've had a boat in our family since 1996, and that one summer was all about planning for the next boat. This time...it's not.

When our buyer countered with an offer we knew was one we should take, we both needed a minute to "talk it over" but it really was to nod at each other and collect ourselves.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Congrats on finding a buyer... or being found by them... and good luck with the survey and sale

Can one sleep under the overpass in NZ?

FB- Doug

4 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

I think you have to find a flyover to sleep under in NZ.

The current plan is to buy a smallish class B campervan and drive down to South Island to explore, hike and taste wine until they kick us out.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Maybe you can sublet a Hobbit hole? The Bagginseses are still quarantined in Rivendell (very strict, those half-elven). Just tell Master Samwise you "come from the Evenstar" and she said it's okay. Or book thru Sod B&B.

Simon and Erin at the artist hobbit hole at Hobbiton Movie Set, New Zealand

Could be worse ideas, eh?

IMG_8144-002.thumb.JPG.346449d6ac270b09878492251e897fb1.JPG

2 hours ago, Bull City said:

Best of luck BJ. Hope all goes well. We spent 3 weeks in NZ about 20 years ago. I’ve wanted to go back since. 

We've been very lucky, as we've spent enough time here that they wanted FBI fingerprints with our visa request last October, which means we would exceed 500 lifetime cumulative days in country during the visa in question.

Getting back here to the boat on Feb 6th right before the world went mad was a stroke of luck, even if we've barely moved since it's been a good place to be. We're looking forward to getting back out and exploring, and much of the cool stuff here is away from the coasts anyway. Doing our part to help the struggling tourism sector...

• Like 2
5 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

The current plan is to buy a smallish class B campervan and drive down to South Island to explore, hike and taste wine until they kick us out.

Ideal opportunity to think about what the next boat should be.....

3 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

We've been very lucky, as we've spent enough time here that they wanted FBI fingerprints with our visa request last October, which means we would exceed 500 lifetime cumulative days in country during the visa in question.

Getting back here to the boat on Feb 6th right before the world went mad was a stroke of luck, even if we've barely moved since it's been a good place to be. We're looking forward to getting back out and exploring, and much of the cool stuff here is away from the coasts anyway. Doing our part to help the struggling tourism sector...

You will love exploring NZ. If I went now, I might not come home. Start a thread... with lots of pics! :)

43 minutes ago, Bull City said:

You will love exploring NZ. If I went now, I might not come home. Start a thread... with lots of pics! :)

We've seen quite a lot of it already, but we're planning slower now, with more time.

The first time we were in South Island we flew in for a week to reset our Aussie visas. The next time we sailed there, but where on the boat and didn't have long to linger since we were trying to get out of NZ and to the tropics and didn't arrive until March.

So this time, we'll have a longer time to meander a bit, and set a few things up and go farther afield.

B.J. hope it goes well. We spent a couple of weeks touring NZ while waiting for an Oz work visa.

If that doesn't work out, a bit of plastic surgery and you'll be ready for the Youtube life. I'm sure your wife can watch a few videos on how to do it before your surgery.

image.png.c31757bdd159fe2a657c8ce2526b119b.png

53 minutes ago, Zonker said:

B.J. hope it goes well. We spent a couple of weeks touring NZ while waiting for an Oz work visa.

If that doesn't work out, a bit of plastic surgery and you'll be ready for the Youtube life. I'm sure your wife can watch a few videos on how to do it before your surgery.

image.png.c31757bdd159fe2a657c8ce2526b119b.png

Eeeew.

3 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Forgot to say: all the forced perspective in Arda will not make Will fit in that Hobbit hole. It's "green screen or go home".

I think he's gotten taller since then, that was early 2015, so he was around 17.

1 minute ago, 167149 said:

ahh sold the boat.... ok then, and here i was thinking you'd finally discovered juicy NZ beetroot and couldnt get enough of them

No, not that. Never that.

Congrats on finding a buyer. Enjoy touring NZ though I've heard tell some of your compatriots think it's a bit boring. ;)

I don't recall if you are into hiking, but the tramping can be spectacular. It can also be foggy, windy, wet and cold, particularly in the South Island, but still spectacular.

17 minutes ago, Mark Morwood said:

Congrats on finding a buyer. Enjoy touring NZ though I've heard tell some of your compatriots think it's a bit boring. ;)

I don't recall if you are into hiking, but the tramping can be spectacular. It can also be foggy, windy, wet and cold, particularly in the South Island, but still spectacular.

Beware of a Kiwi description of spectacular tramping- for some that means five days spent so deep in the bush that you don't see anything but trees. If you like to get a view, you need to check the route... FWIW, the Tongariro Northern Circuit was good, as long as the volcanos are quiet.

Cheers,

W.

We had a spectacular 3 days on the Routeburn.  One of the most beautiful hikes we've ever had.  We did the Tongariro alpine crossing.  It was crowded but very interesting.  I could spend much more time in NZ

23 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Do the blackwater rafting and see the glow worms.  AJ Hackets..  Check out the Kiwi experience bus tours.  They have age appropriate tours, but covid may have shut all that down hence your caravan purchase.  Good luck stay safe and Congratulations.  You will have a new one one all this crap ends.  

On 12/6/2020 at 1:53 AM, B.J. Porter said:

Well, against all odds, we found a buyer. The survey & sea trial is scheduled for next Tuesday/Wednesday.

Wish us luck.

It's going to be a weird Christmas.

BJ,

Wow. Big moment. I remember flaking the jib and main on Evenstar with you on the dock at EGYC. Congrats! It's been a great platform for you guys as a family. 

What's the plan for after your campervan adventures? Waiting for the US to get fully vaccinated then back to the Northeast? Finding somewhere warmer?

2 hours ago, jackolantern said:

BJ,

Wow. Big moment. I remember flaking the jib and main on Evenstar with you on the dock at EGYC. Congrats! It's been a great platform for you guys as a family. 

What's the plan for after your campervan adventures? Waiting for the US to get fully vaccinated then back to the Northeast? Finding somewhere warmer?

So far the general idea is to continue being shiftless layabouts and vagabonds, except on land back in the U.S. in an RV.

I've gotten pretty used to not wearing socks.

Sittin’ in the slings for the night. Tomorrow the surveyor comes back with the moisture meter. Thursday we go for a sail.

So far, so good. But I’ve almost run out of ice with the freezer off for the night. #cocktails

14 minutes ago, Mid said:

I did not need reminding of that ... :wacko:

Closer to 15, really, we closed on her on January 5th, 2006.

My first offer was made on December 2, 2005. My final counter-offer which was accepted was 15 years ago to the day, today.

• Like 2

Great news BJ.

You will go through Wanaka in your wanderings.  When you need to get out of the van for a bit, have a beer and a feed at the Lake Bar, if you haven't been there already. 

How long are you able to stay in NZ?

P.S.  Cruising sailors and RV's are a great combination.  Same systems, just a land yacht.

2 minutes ago, astro said:

Great news BJ.

You will go through Wanaka in your wanderings.  When you need to get out of the van for a bit, have a beer and a feed at the Lake Bar, if you haven't been there already. 

How long are you able to stay in NZ?

I have no idea how longer we'll be able to stay. Visas are...fuzzy...at the moment. They aren't kicking anyone out, really, but we really don't know.

Minimum is the end of Feubruary, but if they extend we'll stay as long as we can. There aren't a lot of tourists spending money here, so we have that going for us.

1 hour ago, Rangi said:

Out of curiosity, did the boat sell to a kiwi, or was it an international who is down in NZ? 

It's a local buyer. I'll be importing the boat before the closing.

One advantage of owning the boat for almost 15 years - I can import it for 20% of my original purchase price before I sell it, instead of the buyer doing it on 100% of what he's buying it from me for.

And before the howler monkeys start throwing poo, this is how it's done. Completely legal, legit and above board - I've discussed all of this with agent from Customs who has processed the paperwork for me. They're really quite helpful and nice.

• Like 1

Jealous BJ, Can't think of a better place to be "Stuck"..  Have fun and remember, The US is fucked.  Stay away at least until Covid is done and dusted.  Hopefully by the time you see the entire place, we will be out of this mess.  

1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

Just back from the sea trial, now we await the surveyors report.

Hope it all goes smoothly. Once you've decided to sell, the sooner it's behind you the better really.

FKT

14 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Hope it all goes smoothly. Once you've decided to sell, the sooner it's behind you the better really.

FKT

Indeed. Brilliant day for a sail though, good strong breeze to get up and go.

In the meantime, we found our NZ digs for the next few months. The woman selling it had me at "before he died, my husband was a mechanic."

Apparently he built a race car which he towed around NZ to races behind this, hence the name. He also built a plane he flew for 40 years.

1445869484.jpg.a4e2f37294f89ce8301ea949c4c3e626.jpg

1445869713.jpg.ff8e643f3649a058ac6638cbb0c30aaa.jpg1445869858.jpg.b00196450ed40d5d35a149f3d7d1b7ce.jpg1445870086.jpg.550f90918bb04980af498489116a87c4.jpg1445870286.jpg.762727902d3d8afc770e9ae6eb9f4b06.jpg

• Like 4

Are you going to trim it out with exterior teak just to keep your varnishing chops up?  

Looks wonderful - it sucks here in the States as others have mentioned.  You're in a good spot to be stuck & a lot of us are jealous!

1 hour ago, eric1207 said:

Nice, whats the LOA of the RV?  Short is handy if you don't mind small boat style RVing.  We have a 20 footer that is perfect.

I think it's just a little over five meters, so it's pretty small. That seemed good for some of the roads here, even though I'm probably going to be "that fucking guy" for the next few months while I learn to negotiate the hills and curves in what basically is a truck with a stick shift in the wrong hand.

3 hours ago, rustylaru said:

Your about to discover that NZ people are nice until they get behind the wheel and then they turn into the "Bruce and Denny show". This is more true in the south.

I've done a lot of driving here, I've owned a couple of cars.

I'm from New England, and I owned a car in New York City. I will survive.

And I will probably be "that fucking guy" between the slow vehicle lanes.

@Cristoforo, at this stage I think that everyone who ever reads CA will have got the message that you hate BJ Porter.  They will have got it loud and clear, a few hundred times.

Time to give it a rest. You don't have to like anyone here, but if you hate someone you can just ignore them   The endless sniping got old long ago.

• Like 9

See the Top Gear NZ episode where Clarkson raced his rental car against an AC boat. I drove our rental car a lot like that, including a gravel road "shortcut" that our Google maps sent us on. Just drive like that. 

1 minute ago, Zonker said:

See the Top Gear NZ episode where Clarkson raced his rental car against an AC boat. I drove our rental car a lot like that, including a gravel road "shortcut" that our Google maps sent us on. Just drive like that. 

I wrecked a hire car on the Milford Sound road some 40 years back driving like that...

FKT

2 minutes ago, Zonker said:

That could be a plan.

Someone point out that it's better to go South on the West coast of SI and North on the East, since you'll always be on the lane away from the giant plunge 'o death.

In the book Abbey's Road, the author Ed Abbey describes driving through the Australian Outback in a rental car. He manages to crack the engine pan, resulting in a seized engine. He has a tow truck haul the car out and, on the way, he and the driver get to drinking. An hour later, they stop to take a leak only to discover that they had been dragging the car on its side the last few miles, but hadn't noticed due to all the dust. Righting it, they eventually arrive at the Perth airport and push the mangled car into one of the slips of the rental car company.

"How was your trip, Mr. Abbey?"

"Oh, wonderful! Had a great time!"

On the flight back, he knew there would be meddlesome letters from the company, but he wasn't going to let them destroy the glow of his trip in the Outback.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

That could be a plan.

Someone point out that it's better to go South on the West coast of SI and North on the East, since you'll always be on the lane away from the giant plunge 'o death.

I remember driving on the 'wrong' side of the road various places in Arizona and looking at the dropoffs...

Never trashed my company car though. I certainly took it a lot of 'adventurous' places by local standards. But I learned to drive on gravel roads in the NSW country.

FKT

Hadn't thought about it that way, but that's the rough direction we took twice.

Took a ride on NZL-14 while it was doing the tourist thing at Queenstown.  I felt cheap and dirty but what the fuck, it was sailing on a AC boat!  Was fun having a steer.

1603260491720.jpg?format=pjpg&optimize=m

Anyway, while on it there were tourists from all over the world, two were having a chat near me.  One said to the other that they had been all over the world and the scenery in the southern Alps of NZ was as good as it gets.  I have to agree.

Bit sad that the old boat is now kind of abandoned.

43 minutes ago, astro said:

Hadn't thought about it that way, but that's the rough direction we took twice.

Took a ride on NZL-14 while it was doing the tourist thing at Queenstown.  I felt cheap and dirty but what the fuck, it was sailing on a AC boat!  Was fun having a steer.

1603260491720.jpg?format=pjpg&optimize=m

Anyway, while on it there were tourists from all over the world, two were having a chat near me.  One said to the other that they had been all over the world and the scenery in the southern Alps of NZ was as good as it gets.  I have to agree.

Bit sad that the old boat is now kind of abandoned.

It is sad to see the glories of the past so faded and down-at-heel. But an IACC boat is a very expensive toy.

- DSK

30 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

It is sad to see the glories of the past so faded and down-at-heel. But an IACC boat is a very expensive toy.

The boat is the subject of a dispute between the local council and the boat's owner: https://www.stuff.co.nz/otago/123177606/queenstown-council-fires-back-at-millionaire-aucklander-over-yacht-row

12 minutes ago, Rushman said:

In NZ when driving the smaller roads...

When you come across a turn ahead sign that shows 20kmh advisory speed, believe it and slow down!

Particularly when driving a lumbering beast no one would describe as "nimble".

I think NZ could save a ton of money if they simply labeled the straightaways and let everyone assume the rest was curvy AF.

I mean, seriously, why even bother with a sign like this one?

S0408927.thumb.JPG.ac2d2be50adc11c7eb0d9aa653511002.JPG

2 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Particularly when driving a lumbering beast no one would describe as "nimble".

I think NZ could save a ton of money if they simply labeled the straightaways and let everyone assume the rest was curvy AF.

I mean, seriously, why even bother with a sign like this one?

S0408927.thumb.JPG.ac2d2be50adc11c7eb0d9aa653511002.JPG

We have those too. Along with signs with Big Graphic Images. Some of those I trust.

moose_sign.jpg

Driving along a narrow twisting road on the west coast of Ireland, came on an unsigned corner that tightened as you went in and had a reverse camber.

As you come out of the turn there is a sign made by the locals, said “that was a nasty corner”....

• Like 2
On 12/10/2020 at 11:49 PM, B.J. Porter said:

I think it's just a little over five meters, so it's pretty small. That seemed good for some of the roads here, even though I'm probably going to be "that fucking guy" for the next few months while I learn to negotiate the hills and curves in what basically is a truck with a stick shift in the wrong hand.

IME, one becomes ambidextrous of the gearstick in a matter of days

5 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Driving along a narrow twisting road on the west coast of Ireland, came on an unsigned corner that tightened as you went in and had a reverse camber.

As you come out of the turn there is a sign made by the locals, said “that was a nasty corner”....

I know many of those treasures.  My favourite combines those features with an abrupt end to a road widening scheme, arranged in such a way that the northbound lane abruptly loses most of its width. 

Of course, none of them are any impediment to someone who drives properly, i.e. at a speed which allows you stop safely within the distance which you can see to be clear.  Sadly, such driving is not universal, which is why some countries decorate their roads with warnings for eejits who drive blind.

On 12/10/2020 at 10:49 PM, B.J. Porter said:

It's not the length which causes problems, except when parking.  On twisty roads, the issues are nimbleness and width.  The lumbering beast takes a lot more care on corners, and on narrow roads the width massively reduces you margin of error for avoiding oncoming traffic.

I find that it helps a lot to adopt the chauffeur's trick of pretending that you have a glass of water glued to the dashboard, and that your aim is not to spill it.