Blades/knives. Whatcha got

Everyone always talks about guns But  how about knives?

my mother-in-law is a tremendous collector of blades of all shapes sizes years. I have a couple nothing compared to her

she asked me to help photo document them for future reference

Chevy couple days maybe I’ll post a picture of one or two of them

The one thing I can say is they are all original there are no replicas in her collection

here is a M1917 (WW I) US Army issued bayonet. It was designed to be used with the US M1917 Enfield .30 caliber rifle,

This particular bayonet was made in 1914 

213F389B-22F9-45B2-B3C9-D604CA80CC9F.jpeg.67cc34acd8238035dbbcde8180f1311f.jpeg

What a coincidence you started this. Just yesterday I was telling my wife that I've owned this for 50 years, got it back in my cub scout days.

One of my most treasured possessions. No telling how many fish and other critters it's gutted.

RIMG0438-X2.jpg

• Like 2

At the risk of thread drift on post #3 (sorry @dacapo )

I am interested in sharpening my sharpening skills.

I have a few stones, and recently acquired a cutoff of marble for a flat sanding surface.

Been experimenting with oil vs water.  (with cheap Harbor Freight stones)

All planer blades and chisels.

So many techniques and nuances to sharpening.

6 minutes ago, Windward said:

I have a few stones, and recently acquired a cutoff of marble for a flat sanding surface.

My normal knives i.e. my cooking knives chefs knives and fillet knives all go to a professional knife  sharpener 
with that said maybe you can find a professional sharpener near you and ask him if you could get some tips.  

I’ll show you a picture in a day or two of a really sharp knife that my mother-in-law has. One of her most expensive blades and one that will not be touched ever by mortal hands. 
I will tell you it’s an 1870 Japanese katana sword. And even now it will split your fucking pubic hairs 

I had a nice little Buck rigging knife I bought back in 1977 for a sailing trip up the west coast. The blade was so thick I couldn't figure out how to get a good edge on it, so sent it back to Buck who, for $5 put a good edge on it which lasted pretty much forever.

Had it for many, many years and used it often. Similar to this except I had a square knotted lanyard on mine.

buck315nsbYachtsman__96292.1500565043.jp

So I'm at the airport in Papeete about 2013 and the guy on the xray scanner starts rooting through my toilet kit as the boarding call for my flight is being announced. Up he comes with my rigging knife and just shakes his head. Too late to mail it home to myself I had to toss it and run for the departure gate.

I hope that guy got some good use out of it.

I'm in the (slow) process of restoring a Ca. 1940s Kukhuri and scabbard. The blade isn't so difficult, but fitting and sewing the 1mm thick lamb skin over the wooden scabbard is testing my patience, and skills.

for years I carried around a couple decent rigging knives when I went sailing. TSA now owns too many of them. Got tired of buying them xmas presents and started buying the tiny little swiss army knife. outa the box you can shave with the blade. I have a couple dozen of these little mother fuckers cuz I keep losing them and buying two to replace the one I lost. once a week or so I sit down with a stone and polish the edge until it will scrape hairs off my arm without pulling on them first. ive yet to meet a line I couldn't cut, and the nail file fits most Philips head screws. it even has a micro pair of scissors.... I do still have a couple of those glow in the dark rigging knives with a fid from West Marine.. and If I 'm doing an offshore race or something I'll usually toss one in my bag, but I can't remember the last time I've used one on a boat. 

I have a similar approach to flashlights. having lost a number of really nice petzl headlights. I now pickup a couple of the cheapest LED miniflashlights I can find. I hate headlamps.. particularly on other people. at night someone with invariably toast my retinas, even with the red light. I can hold my little flashlight cupped in my hand on not bother anyone. 

4 hours ago, Windward said:

Wantne to halve fun?  Glass platte, rubbere cemente, and emorey papere as asharppeneng surfice.  Workes greate!            :)

19 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Wantne to halve fun?  Glass platte, rubbere cemente, and emorey papere as asharppeneng surfice.  Workes greate!            :)

You don't need rubber cement, just water.

But Emory paper is kind of coarse for putting a really keen edge on a blade.

On deck- there is only one you need

41qcgN+mTsL._AC_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00408UUF8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Opens with one hand, has a fid, knife and pliers.  At $32 each, I carry two on a delivery.  If I lose one- c'est la vie, if I don't and the customer likes the knife, he gets a gift.

• Like 1

Rather pedestrian:  

An ooold Buck 110 I bought when I worked with the tools. I abused the crap out it, even using it and a hammer to cut 1/0 copper in an emergency.   Charlotte saw it in my drawer, heard the stories, and later swiped it and took it to a German knife sharpener. He put such a perfect edge on it, I don’t dare misuse it.

My EDC is a Kershaw Ken Onion Leek with the serrated edge.  

46 minutes ago, Snore said:

41qcgN+mTsL._AC_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00408UUF8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Opens with one hand, has a fid, knife and pliers.  At $32 each, I carry two on a delivery.  If I lose one- c'est la vie, if I don't and the customer likes the knife, he gets a gift.

Oooooohh, you’ve cost me some money!  

Been looking for a riggers knife with a serrated edge for the new lines for years. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, IStream said:

This thread's gonna cost me some money too.

you can;t afford my MIL's knife collection without taking out another mortgage  .....just sayin...wait till i show some of the gems of the collection next week

Not exactly a boat knife but this has been my daily carry for the past maybe 15 years. Very sharp, has a clip on the opposite side, and opens and closes with one hand. The lock release takes a bit of getting used to, but it has probably kept me from hurting myself. 

https://www.crkt.com/m16-12z-tanto-with-triple-point-serrations.html

image.png.cd6663599b19ec180d3c420dae4e7361.png

I love those. The carbon steel takes a wicked edge, the parkerizing does a good job of preventing rust, and it's tough enough to use as a prybar in a pinch. My stepmom likes to trail ride horses solo and asked me to recommend a good all-around knife for her. I just sent her this one. It hurt to give it up but I feel good that it's in her pack.

11 hours ago, dacapo said:

My normal knives i.e. my cooking knives chefs knives and fillet knives all go to a professional knife  sharpener 
with that said maybe you can find a professional sharpener near you and ask him if you could get some tips.  

i do all my knives with a spyderco  kit...   i get them plenty sharp....   it weeeellll cut..

i have a couple of emerson folders...  I don't carry them anymore...   I have a kershaw leek that i carry now,  light and pointy, holds a good edge..

i have a knife my grandfather, a polish butcher, made...    that'll get passed down to the next relative..

I forgot about this until I opened this thread.  A bunch of us were on a camping trip in high school.  One of the guys brought this.  He needed a couple of bucks so I bought it from him. 

It's a Modelo Argentino 1891, German-made Argentine bayonet for a mauser bolt action rifle.  Part of the stamp was scratched off when I bought it.  Why, I can only speculate.

1891Baoynet_001.jpg.391a462cf165cf82b374be2f23e7848a.jpg

The case is also stamped with P1462

1891Baoynet_002.thumb.jpg.c0f10883362e66a647b6a28f85b89924.jpg

1891Baoynet_003.jpg.afa9c52cf4f7f2306ef382befd29a431.jpg

Let’s stick with bayonets as she has a few of them

The first one here is a US Springfield model 1819 musket bayonet that was used in the battle of Gettysburg

CDFBA631-2795-4B86-8CDB-C56458CED09D.thumb.jpeg.80754323ba4000d04b18a3115587ff09.jpeg

The next One is a Hungarian made bayonet from the Cold War used on an AK 47

9B2114EB-C805-431D-B095-1F7E09D771E2.thumb.jpeg.62051e6d2387ce85aeb50f6e661e6a49.jpeg

On left: ‘Hori-Hori’ garden tool/knife.   Best all-around bladed tool I have.   In 316 stainless from Nisaku Co. Japan.

Lan-Cay M9.   Always have a couple of these around.   Have several German surplus as well.  Basic dude stuff.

04926327-DC9E-4527-A367-AC4EC14D9153.jpeg

8 hours ago, IStream said:

A hori hori belongs in every survival kit.

If you plan on planting a garden before you extricate yourself from the frozen tundra.

22 minutes ago, IStream said:

If you've got limited volume and weight available for supplies, there's a lot to be said for a multipurpose tool that can cut, dig, and saw.

Kubota Track-hoe with the branch cutting attachment. :D

15 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

no body is asking the real question...

why the fuck does your MIL collect bayonets  etc.. ?

History teacher for 40 years and a fencing instructor for almost as long. She loves historical shit and knives. 

More background...MIL was born in 1940 in Hungary. Austrian-Hungarian family. They got out just after her birth ( I do not know how as Hungary had sided with the Axis powers in 1940) anyways.... she’s always had a thing for eastern European, World War I, World War II , and older knives and blades

here is a almost matching set in almost perfect condition of a German SS officers pocket knives made with solid silver

7D011582-AB0C-40C2-A7D5-1B4BBC8619FF.thumb.jpeg.a90e02266b4ca8d10643ddb9d5220bc2.jpeg

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

no body is asking the real question...

why the fuck does your MIL collect bayonets  etc.. ?

Someone has to keep him in line.

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

This is my Dad's Naval Officers sword. I think the only thing it ever cut was his and my stepmoms wedding cake!

0?ui=2&ik=ea01df3ca1&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1685536584075122684&th=17643a97c5b917fc&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ_HwUQ86uTRpmVL3EZhtYBTA6Bbz49TfmaNMCl0tg3uYV_GPtmjRmfQUyLhSD0b332rgz0wwjrTH4ng1TTG6F7TyFXmkvqIgsAEHkpjPrNNhl9-pyweKztHWfo&disp=emb&realattid=200d8a00e687408_0.1.1

0?ui=2&ik=ea01df3ca1&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1685536365849677623&th=17643a64f6790f37&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ_LB6Quo0dqXO38TjPVfMbmDlCohIhAmxM-7-fgXOe0AmQHQ_0h7UnqqxKJexUWZNpgXMx6UgK1GGKsFtG32z5__2fkBC0uNoIvgMAPDCxWHOugS67fqTbX3hs&disp=emb&realattid=b8b8d7f6b73e72e5_0.1.1

me no see??

6 minutes ago, Gissie said:

Looking at the amount of writing we get instead of a picture, is this an example of the pen being greater than a sword?

I guess tomorrow I’m gonna have to post one of her swords

Buck 110 and my old man's old beat up K-Bar, but I almost never use them really.  When Buck had the anniversary edition I bought 4 for me and my golf buddies.  More likely to pick up a small Gerber for random tasks, and the old Sabatier kitchen stuff.  My rigging knives, Spyder and Myerchin, are in a bag somewhere but I don't sail anymore.

I've yet to find a stainless steel that can take an edge and bring it back with as little effort as carbon. That said, I'm not up to speed on all the variants and happy to be proven wrong. 

I give the Boye sheepsfoot rigging knife to crew. Dendritic cobalt blade, titanium marlinspike. Never a spot of rust.  Incredible blade.

https://www.landfallnavigation.com/boye-knife-w-marlinspike-yellow.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAiML-BRAAEiwAuWVggqxrgAzyip3G-kMnaNtqqhL07I3pXAqtJ6SFtjCuITPTYScRT_B2kRoC8ioQAvD_BwE

Since we're expanding to swords........here is my Pop's USMC Officers commissioning sword. He got it in Quantico after he graduated from OCS. He was a mustang who made Sgt on the enlisted side and was selected for OCS after he returned from Korea. Anyway.............Sword, scabbard and case. This thing is in the vicinity of 65 years old. 

IMG_3507.JPG

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I give the Boye sheepsfoot rigging knife to crew. Dendritic cobalt blade, titanium marlinspike. Never a spot of rust.  Incredible blade.

https://www.landfallnavigation.com/boye-knife-w-marlinspike-yellow.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAiML-BRAAEiwAuWVggqxrgAzyip3G-kMnaNtqqhL07I3pXAqtJ6SFtjCuITPTYScRT_B2kRoC8ioQAvD_BwE

You gift $220 rigging knives to your crew??!  Any room for a 65 yo former bowman whose still a darn good trimmer and driver?  Just don't ask me to go forward of the mast, unless we are docking or anchoring.... :D

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

AKA the “Qaeda”

We use these box cutters at work and buy them by the dozens.  Really sharp when new.  I was going to traffic court one day, and realized I had this "weapon" in my pocket as I went through the metal detector.  I offered it to the officer checking us through and said he could keep it or toss it.  He said I could keep it, no problem.  Had I decided to slash someone's carotid artery in the courtroom that morning, they surely would have bled out before qualified help could intervene......

Olfa Touch-Knife

3 hours ago, Point Break said:

Since we're expanding to swords........here is my Pop's USMC Officers commissioning sword. He got it in Quantico after he graduated from OCS. He was a mustang who made Sgt on the enlisted side and was selected for OCS after he returned from Korea. Anyway.............Sword, scabbard and case. This thing is in the vicinity of 65 years old. 

IMG_3507.JPG

Beautiful piece of your family's history!!  Who will be in charge of preserving this memory when we are gone, PB?  

I have to locate the Civil War diary of my great, great, great Uncle, Amasa Bemis White.  My Mom who has now passed transcribed it all, and had the original diary, and I think my youngest brother has it in a storage room at a family property.  Important to remember and pass on these things to our offspring....

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 5:56 PM, billy backstay said:

I have to locate the Civil War diary of my great, great, great Uncle, Amasa Bemis White.

You mitte be relatted to Wespey.                                                       :)

37 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

016AD10B-EFA9-4686-B439-13AFD3C5F70F.thumb.jpeg.8a153080f3df0d75a617ffeef14a5b94.jpeg

i had a spyderco like the one in the middle , but 1/2 serrated...   we had a potluck at work one thanksgiving week, i was going around the table and wanted some chips that were in a sealed bag. Couldn't tear it open, whipped the spydie out of my pocket and flipped it open in one move and opened the bag.  folded it and clipped it back into my front pocket..  felt someone staring at me, turned around it was the head boss right behind me..  everyday afterward when he saw me in the hall, he said hi to me...  guess he wanted to be on the good side.. :D

41 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

You mitte be relatted to Wespey.                                                       :)

Truth is stranger than fiction, and we are all related to a black woman in Africa many, many years ago!

On 12/6/2020 at 2:02 PM, Snore said:

41qcgN+mTsL._AC_.jpg

So I got one of these and it's about what you'd expect from a $32 knife in terms of weight (high) and quality (moderate) but I like it. 

I also ordered one of these Myerchins Captain's knives with the smooth edge:

6c70347e6a820756fca15db31ff37ed6.jpg?v=1576615143

It's north of $70 but with the exception of the useless wire lanyard ring that comes off without provocation, it's an excellent knife.

On 12/9/2020 at 8:24 AM, blunderfull said:

Opinels are my go-tos for work , boat wherever.   Best bang for the buck.   These look sketch but they keep an edge like no other work tool.  

DDC177AB-27E0-403A-A4BF-FDB21BCE6089.jpeg

I have one, really flexible blade, beautiful for fileting trout and salmon.

Some other odd knives stashed here and there ... bayonet from a 1920-something Mosin, Japanese Sword (bring back from my uncle's WWII days), some Spyderco stuff from the Spyderco factory down the street from my house, my beloved 110 VAC hot knife. But my favorite is a little Forschner stainless knife. It's stainless, so I can abuse it, but it somehow holds an edge nearly like high-carbon. I have no idea how the folks hat Forschner figured that one out.

I've put that poor Forschner to work trimming pine and cedar, and then I use it in the kitchen, it seems not to care.