Blades/knives. Whatcha got

1 hour ago, valis said:

A few years ago I flew to Finland and back, transfers at Schiphol, with a couple of .223 rounds in my backpack.  They never got detected, I discovered them when unpacking after I got home.  Be careful when you lend your luggage to your kids!

ohhhhhhhhhhh shiite!

Talked to some CAS Cowboys.  They all have luggage that is ONLY for flying. Bullets are sneaky.  

Every quarter or so I hear a story about somebody trying to fly with a CCW they forgot in their carry-on.  Those stories don't end well.    

47 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

ohhhhhhhhhhh shiite!

Talked to some CAS Cowboys.  They all have luggage that is ONLY for flying. Bullets are sneaky.  

Every quarter or so I hear a story about somebody trying to fly with a CCW they forgot in their carry-on.  Those stories don't end well.    

Yea, Rinella’s hunting bud, Ronnie Boehm, kept a loaded .22 on his desk.   New customer comes into office & and hides it in his carry-on bag.   Sheit ensues at the airport.  In the end he dodged a felony but they kept the pistol.

53 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

ohhhhhhhhhhh shiite!

When I worked on the railroad the transients were a very real threat. Groups like Freight Train Riders of America were ultra violent. A high percentage of the bums were felons on the run. I had run ins with them and they weren't playing. 

RR crews deadhead a lot, usually in a crew shuttle or on a train. One time we were called to DH, got to the yard office and were informed we would be flying. Pandemonium ensued! What to do with those guns?

5 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

for basic sharpening  just pick up one of the sharpening systems   lanksy or spyderco or whatever ...

I have a spyderco and I can get a razor edge on my knives..     I bought two mid range,  ie. <$100 japanese knives  a santoku and a 10" chef...    I like the japanese steels as they have enough carbon to put on an edge and are hard enough to hold it...      I bought several water stones but have not used them yet...    for the chisels and such I have a diamond stone that does a nice job,  for the garden tools I use an angle grinder and 120grit flap pad.. quick and easy ..

Got an Edge Pro Apex several years ago. Some learning curve, but great results. https://www.edgeproinc.com/sharpening-kits/apex-kits/

3 hours ago, Autonomous said:

When I worked on the railroad the transients were a very real threat. Groups like Freight Train Riders of America were ultra violent. A high percentage of the bums were felons on the run. I had run ins with them and they weren't playing. 

RR crews deadhead a lot, usually in a crew shuttle or on a train. One time we were called to DH, got to the yard office and were informed we would be flying. Pandemonium ensued! What to do with those guns?

Yup.  I was enjoying a rare Saturday away from work, far away, when I got the Low Man on the It's Flowing Downhill call.  Now, having a gun on aerospace property, including the parking lot, is a huge Bozo-No No, both civilly and criminally.  Gee, had to tell the Rotten-To-The-Core mismanager: No Can Do.

Ended up working Sunday.  

BTW: A handy dodge is to have the gun cleaned at a local gun store. You'll get a spotless gun when you finally get around to picking it up.  ;)  Usually much less than paying the LGP to store it.  

I have Griptilian.  It's well made but feels cheap in my hand.  Too light for its bulkiness or something.  Recently the pants I wear at work changed and am now forced to keep it in my front pocket and it's just too fat.  There's mod kits that cost almost the same as the knife itself so instead I've gone to a slim Spyderco. 

Also my sharpening system doesn't like the S30V steel. 

Of course I still bring it to work, because knives. 

16365118161181722725569641788630.jpg

16365121962352819886687950020392.jpg

I like a spring assist knife these days, but boi th' jeeze! They got expensive!!!!!!

For another $50 I can get an automatic knife.... Not that I would of course.... You know, laws and all that sort of stuff....

45 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I have Griptilian.  It's well made but feels cheap in my hand.  Too light for its bulkiness or something.  Recently the pants I wear at work changed and am now forced to keep it in my front pocket and it's just too fat.  There's mod kits that cost almost the same as the knife itself so instead I've gone to a slim Spyderco. 

I see the Griptilian as my winter, gloved EDC and the thinner CRKT for summer carry like your Spyderco. 

The action on the Benchmade is really nice and this kook loves how light it is. Good thing there are as many variations of knives as there are hands that hold them!

I live in the same town as Benchmade's HQ and a few over from CRKT's! Sharpening shouldn't be an issue...

On 12/6/2020 at 8:00 AM, bmiller said:

What a coincidence you started this. Just yesterday I was telling my wife that I've owned this for 50 years, got it back in my cub scout days.

One of my most treasured possessions. No telling how many fish and other critters it's gutted.

RIMG0438-X2.jpg

I have that same knife. It was my dad's. 

15 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Of course I still bring it to work, because knives. 

Take a look at the Kershaw Ken Onion Leeks.  The bolster/ frame is stainless steel, and the knife is very thin, but very solid. It's my EDC. Kershaw Ken Onion Leek Cmb Matte Blk-RPLKER1660CKTST

Today's knives are a joke unless you spend the dough for something of good quality. If you can find one, get a vintage KA-BAR Sailors Rigging Knife.

Sheepsfoot profile with really nice steel that holds an edge, and made for sharpening. Standard Navy issue in WW2.

3fe06209eb0ad949e09644cca32d173a.jpg

• Like 1

Here's a knife I keep in my desk.  A friend gave it to me, and it is a replica of an old sailor's knife, made for the film "Master and Commander".  Obviously the pointy end was broken off so the sailors were less likely to kill each other.  I wish I could figure out who made it -- haven't been able to track down the "JS" or "TS" or ?? logo.

20211110_124406.thumb.jpg.4480ce66dc494dbc86a4a2e0c8ff9c44.jpg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, valis said:

Here's a knife I keep in my desk.  A friend gave it to me, and it is a replica of an old sailor's knife, made for the film "Master and Commander".  Obviously the pointy end was broken off so the sailors were less likely to kill each other.  I wish I could figure out who made it -- haven't been able to track down the "JS" or "TS" or ?? logo.

20211110_124406.thumb.jpg.4480ce66dc494dbc86a4a2e0c8ff9c44.jpg

T5?

7 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Take a look at the Kershaw Ken Onion Leeks.  The bolster/ frame is stainless steel, and the knife is very thin, but very solid. It's my EDC. Kershaw Ken Onion Leek Cmb Matte Blk-RPLKER1660CKTST

It's a popular knife for sure, probably Kershaw's best seller.  It's pretty recent that overall thickness became a factor for me.  I'll check it out soon enough.  Since all my spares are too thick now it's like I only have one work knife, and that won't do. 

18 hours ago, Point Break said:

Don't like blades that are "light". I want to feel some heft in the knife.

PB, have you found a knife like the one you carried for most of your career?  It'd be the perfect, do-everything knife/ tool for the "Get Home" bag in the car.  Shame the Lakota Lil Hawk has been out of production for 30-40 years now.   

TIA   

1 hour ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

PB, have you found a knife like the one you carried for most of your career?  It'd be the perfect, do-everything knife/ tool for the "Get Home" bag in the car.  Shame the Lakota Lil Hawk has been out of production for 30-40 years now.   

TIA   

Yes, when I lost mine I thought “well, I’ll buy another one”. Little did I know they stopped production shortly after I acquired mine. I don't even remember where/how I bought mine. I don’t think a lot of thought went into it….”hey what knife are you carrying” kind of research. :lol: You can find them still on eBay etc I think. I have a bunch of knives but haven’t replaced it……of course my need/use have changed. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Point Break said:

Yes, when I lost mine I thought “well, I’ll buy another one”. Little did I know they stopped production shortly after I acquired mine. I don't even remember where/how I bought mine. I don’t think a lot of thought went into it….”hey what knife are you carrying” kind of research. :lol: You can find them still on eBay etc I think. I have a bunch of knives but haven’t replaced it……of course my need/use have changed. 

Oi.  Not finding a lot of that type. Maybe the Kershaw Launch 1 https://kershaw.kaiusa.com/launch-1.html could replace the Lil' Hawk. But, I keep coming back to my 40 year old Buck 110 as the archetypical old, capable, unkillable working knife. 

boy that's a chunky baby,  did you wear suspenders and a belt when carrying that?

maxresdefault.jpg

On 12/6/2020 at 11:31 AM, dacapo said:

Everyone always talks about guns But  how about knives?

my mother-in-law is a tremendous collector of blades of all shapes sizes years. I have a couple nothing compared to her

Nobody asked, so I'll make the faux pas; "Is your wife all stabby, too?"   

;)

you owe me a chapter

19190724-25467.jpg

https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/products/395629/

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

:( sold

But I’m not sure I’d spend $200 for one now. It served me well but the replacement would likely just sit……by the way….that is exactly the one I had and the belt case. Exactly.

D0EC6253-0C36-4095-8F33-1400951F5A42.png

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

boy that's a chunky baby,  did you wear suspenders and a belt when carrying that?

maxresdefault.jpg

Just carried in my turnout coat pocket most of the time and switched it to my web gear on wildland fires.

2 hours ago, Point Break said:

:( sold

But I’m not sure I’d spend $200 for one now. It served me well but the replacement would likely just sit……by the way….that is exactly the one I had and the belt case. Exactly.

D0EC6253-0C36-4095-8F33-1400951F5A42.png

life is short,  splurge a little , you deserve it...     why be frugal at this point in life?   call them up and ask them to make another one...  and have them put a clip on it..

you can will it to me when you're done with it..

• Like 2

I worked at Paragon Sporting Goods in NYC for a couple of months in 1972. We had a 40% employee discount, and I hemmed and hawed about buying a Loveless drop-point hunter that I think went for about 90 bucks pre-discount. I eventually decided to pass. I see they are now trading for around $11, 600!

http://www.lovelessknife.com/classic-drop-point/index.html

33 minutes ago, Grizz said:

I worked at Paragon Sporting Goods in NYC for a couple of months in 1972. We had a 40% employee discount, and I hemmed and hawed about buying a Loveless drop-point hunter that I think went for about 90 bucks pre-discount. I eventually decided to pass. I see they are now trading for around $11, 600!

http://www.lovelessknife.com/classic-drop-point/index.html

hell i went into that place back then...   3+ stories of goods packed in tight...   it was awesome..   nothing has compared to it since..

One of the guys on my woodworking forum is a knife maker. 

He just made me this pair which I’ll use for splicing. The handles are teak from discarded decking from the Coast Guard Cutter Eagle. 

I'm not knowledgeable on the steel, but he used steel that holds an edge and cuts dyneema easily. 

7222046B-AB54-4594-B4A2-4718CC7F7BBF.jpeg

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

hell i went into that place back then...   3+ stories of goods packed in tight...   it was awesome..   nothing has compared to it since..

Paragon was (and I think still is ) a family owned business- they owned the building too. I can't imagine what the building is worth today. I plowed almost all of my wages back into gear. 

I have a bayonet like the OP.    Also this frankenknife.    The handle may be real, or a high end Japanese counterfeit from the 1970s.   Except it looked old before 1980, the blackening being worn, the bronze tarnished and the blade missing.   There was no evidence it was ever installed.  Many also broke in the field, less robust then the Utility knives of ww ii.   There is no ww ii field modification grinding the guard to fit a scabbard better, so it probably wasn’t used reissued for airborne or marine raider use.   Likely it ‘fell off a truck’ when the ww I order was cancelled, never completed.   Maybe it found use during prohibition.   I had a custom blade made this year and found a replica pommel nut matching the Au Lion alternate manufacturer (four sides, not six).    Some guy had a machinist custom make a handful and sold a few on eBay to pay for the one he needed.  The result isn’t a collector, but is kind of cool as a field worthy replica.

2FDFBF3B-0166-4DD0-B309-E347418C32F2.jpeg

6A6B9387-800A-4BED-8D4D-E226122BC822.jpeg

20 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Nobody asked, so I'll make the faux pas; "Is your wife all stabby, too?"   

;)

this past week..................as stabby as fuck.......B)

On 11/9/2021 at 11:44 PM, Winston29 said:

I've had this lock-blade knife for over 25 years, and honestly know nothing about it.  I don't even remember where I got it.  

The only identifying marks are a name and location on the blade.  

fullsizeoutput_16d4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16d6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16d5.jpeg

It's French.

You're welcome.

More seriously, I tried to do some google.fr searches, but no success. There is a cutlery shop in Paris called, Laguiole Renaud, which used to be an "armurerie Renaud", or a gun shop, but I do not believe they are cutlery manufacturer. BTW, Laguiole is a well known knife manufacturer in France.

• Like 1
On 11/10/2021 at 12:44 AM, Winston29 said:

I've had this lock-blade knife for over 25 years, and honestly know nothing about it.  I don't even remember where I got it.  

fullsizeoutput_16d4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16d6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16d5.jpeg

The intrawebz doesn't have much, except this comment on aboutpocketknives.com:  "Another horn handled sailor's knife marked,"E.Renaud Armes Paris" ".

E.RenaudParisArmes2019 001.jpg

20 hours ago, Point Break said:

Nice! You’re gonna love it. 

PB, any idea what knives the current crop of fire fighters and cops are carrying?  The Lil' Hawk is said to have been a favorite of cops and smoke eaters, so apparently they know a thing or two about good, working knives.  

On 11/10/2021 at 10:44 AM, Winston29 said:

fullsizeoutput_16d4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16d6.jpeg

leatherworking tools guidefullsizeoutput_16d5.jpeg

It's something I've done with a couple of my knives. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. Keep in mind that it's a knife, and it was manufactured and bought to cut things. I don't use mine as a screwdriver, but I do use it to pry plastic panels apart and cut them apart on a regular basis. I spent $150 for a tool that I expect to utilize. I maintain it sharp for everyday usage, take it apart once a month, and would be absolutely lost without it.

On 11/11/2021 at 8:49 PM, Point Break said:

Nice! You’re gonna love it. 

PB;

Got the Lil' Hawk.  And it is truly a wonder.  I can see why you liked it: a stout, unbreakable, do everything tool, of a type that doesn't exist today.  

The Lakota is in relatively good shape and seems hardly used.  The lock-up is rock solid, the action is however a bit stiff; prolly from the 4 decades old not-so-lubricant. I'll most-likely give it a spin in the ultrasonic cleaner. Looks like at some time the owner tried to put a razor edge on the blade, but that slight damage looks easily repairable by a competent knifesmith. Gotta say, even now, it IS perfect for my "Git Home" bag.  

Thanks again.    

On 11/21/2021 at 5:54 PM, Charlie Foxtrot said:

PB;

Got the Lil' Hawk.  And it is truly a wonder.  I can see why you liked it: a stout, unbreakable, do everything tool, of a type that doesn't exist today.  

The Lakota is in relatively good shape and seems hardly used.  The lock-up is rock solid, the action is however a bit stiff; prolly from the 4 decades old not-so-lubricant. I'll most-likely give it a spin in the ultrasonic cleaner. Looks like at some time the owner tried to put a razor edge on the blade, but that slight damage looks easily repairable by a competent knifesmith. Gotta say, even now, it IS perfect for my "Git Home" bag.  

Thanks again.    

Glad to have been helpful. I really loved mine. In fact this thread sent me on a hunt through old “stuff” hoping I  got the “remembrey” of the misplacement wrong. So far…..no joy. Glad you have one and you like it. :)

6 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

better not be rhino horn..

There’s rhinos in the Middle  East ? 

The things you learn on sailing anarchy :D

no rhinos were injured in the making of this movie 

4 minutes ago, dacapo said:

I never heard of a jambiya so looked it up. Apparently rhino horn was commonly used. Things you learn on SA.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, dacapo said:

it's one of the leading reasons for illegal rhino horn trade,   that and tiny chinese pp's 

A significant part of a jambiya is its hilt (handle). The saifani hilt is made of rhinoceros horn, which can cost up to $1500 per kilogram. It is used on the daggers of wealthier citizens. Different versions of saifani hilts can be distinguished by their colour. Other janbiya hilts are made of different types of horn, wood, metal and ivory from elephants and walrus. Apart from the material used for the hilt, the design and detail is a measure of its value and the status of its owner

1 minute ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

it's one of the leading reasons for illegal rhino horn trade,   that and tiny chinese pp's 

I read, and now when I get home me needs to go look at the hilt and see what tyoe of matieral its made out of. Cant tell by pic.  It's black and metal

38 minutes ago, dacapo said:

Here’s another Jambiya from Morocco 

slightly y different. Bigger heavier wooden hilt

91899A41-5926-4F1A-8E2F-463269CC1F96.thumb.jpeg.4276a10f360477280193646022d082c8.jpeg

that's a kukri of kuhkri ,   northern india  / nepal    can be quite the badass weapon..

https://www.machetespecialists.com/products/machetes/kukri/

https://yhst-7333098713883.stores.yahoo.net/

7 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

that's a kukri of kuhkri ,   northern india  / nepal    can be quite the badass weapon..

https://www.machetespecialists.com/products/machetes/kukri/

https://yhst-7333098713883.stores.yahoo.net/

Yeah. My bad on the pic. I took a shot of another jambiya and this together. Ill post the jambiya tomorrow 

(1 knife per day )

7 minutes ago, dacapo said:

Yeah. My bad on the pic. I took a shot of another jambiya and this together. Ill post the jambiya tomorrow 

(1 knife per day )

you can find all sorts of things here... 

https://shopgoodwill.com/categories/knives-swords-collectibles

there's a US airforce academy cadet sword  that's less than $200 right now, but you can get one from the academy for around $200

c0d56195-4589-4c34-8770-9823dc0aa70cngws

this one was interesting , but I would really would have to see it in person , since it got over $100

8e15ab06-8284-4700-a2e5-791516289c4akins

I've been carrying a first production run Benchmade 913 Nitrous Striker like this for about 20 years now.  The D2 tool steel holds a 15° edge pretty well; took a while to get there with a Lansky system, though.  And the Nitrous spring assist is fantastic!

548892948_Benchmade913NitrousStrykerFoldingKnife3-34D2SteelModified.png.077a2cb5ab5db11436ad43b0ee290cd0.png