Saw this POS at a vehicle auction yard near here over the weekend.  Looks to be about 35' long?  Can't figure out what it is though.  Anyone know or have guesses?

Guy at the yard said it has been sitting there for a while and he'll sell it CHEAP just to get it off the lot.  No sails, no paperwork.  Just what you see here.

I'm not in the market for a project, but would love to know what it is...

misc. sailboat 2.jpg

misc. sailboat 3.jpg

misc. sailboat.jpg

5 minutes ago, longy said:

Spot sport was the best Ultimate 30 design - and a very high tech build. Davidson design. 

At least the most forgiving- good all arounder. The Murry boats, Ziti and Hexcell, defiantly had more top end speed. 

2 hours ago, Mr Moab said:

Sad to see it in that kind of shape.

Back in better days. 

SpotSport.thumb.JPG.7eb2988a507ae38b58193b3e8627ff50.JPG

39 minutes ago, Deck Ape said:

Damn!

That looks like FUN!!

What I don't get is why in places like SF and even SD (in the south Bay) the 18ft Skiff never took off. Maybe we are just a bunch of arm chair quarter backs here.

Race 3 of the 18footer NSW series was posted 1 day ago. Race 2 was abandoned before the start because no one could keep their boats upright.

I owned/raced Ziti for a couple of years.  It took 7 people to sail if the wind was over 10 knots.  4 on the wires, a driver, a trimmer, and a marathon runner (usually the biggest guy).  The marathon runner's job was to keep the boat flat.  In the puffs, hike to windward, in the lulls run to the lower rack.  If you hit a lull with everyone on the wire, the boat would capsize to windward, or if you drug the leeward rack in the puff - wipeout to windward.  Basically, it was a huge 49'r or aussie skiff.  The boat had so little ballast in the centerboard, when left unattended, you had to tie a rack to the dock to keep it from falling over

spin2.jpg

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

I was thinking it would make a great starting point for an R2K boat

FB- Doug

or another Spawn of Frankenscot for the everglades challenge.. in a couple years.. 

• Downvote 1

I had the opportunity to sail on this boat in the late 90's when MacLaurin had it in Marina del Rey.  It was fun to rip around on, and I remember a capsize when the mainsheet got tangled during a gybe.  It was good to be younger and able to hang onto the wing mesh until the boat got pulled back up.  It took a pile of people and a chase boat back then.

The design/rule spec was too heavy - boats were rather over powered upwind, a bit under downwind. I sailed on Long's boat, Duraflame, basically a Moore 30. We tried a heavier, deeper keel for the Hawaii racing, it was noticeably holding the boat down in the water, went back to original keel.

I owned this boat for a while. we sailed in breezy Long Beach conditions and managed to capsize once but never broke the rig. New owner sailed it once, on the second day broke the rig in three pieces. most likely this is where they left it, so if someone buys her you will need a new mast and/or sleeve the old one.

Some tool from San Fran rented my Santana 30/30 GP in 1990 to compete in the Corpus stop.  He and crew flew out and took boat out for practice and quickly learned it might be tad slower than the U30s zipping around.  He was bound and determine to compete.

Wow ... this brings back memories.   I played on the water umpire for the U30 event on the bay (when S. Green took that picture) in the early 90's.  I will never forget the first downwind start and the guy running our umpire boat set himself to leeward of the line ... ready to go.   The gun went off .... they popped their chute and proceeded to accelerate to within inches of our cockpit.   Our driver gunned it .... barely staying in front of them.   Way way too close!    

Actually the racing was great.  Leeward marks were carnage!   Big fun on the Cityfront!

Sad to see where cool boats go to die ....

49 minutes ago, lead_ior50 said:

once upon a time.. or "sic transit gloria mundi"

IMG_0319.JPG

Fark that’s cool !   There was a front page thing a few months back where a couple of dudes flush decked a U30 and put a keel on it ....looked very nice 

This ULTIMATE 30 was raced as Ziploc, later named The Edge, and raced in San Francisco by John McLauren of Cal Yacht Club.  I bought it off John in the late 90's and sailed her in Marina Del Rey and Cabrillo Beach around the turn of the century.  Weighted 2000 lbs, a Carbon Fiber hull, North Sails and aluminum mast with 6 trapezes and racks.  A weighted centerboard, carbon fiber bow pole and huge sail plan.  THIS IS THE MOST FUN BOAT I EVER OWNED!.  Would love to have it back!  RD

2000 Ralph W with Ultimate 30 Marina Del Rey Cal Yacht Club.jpg

2000 Ralph W with Ziploc Ultimate 30 Marina Del Rey Cal Yacht C.jpg

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

or another Spawn of Frankenscot for the everglades challenge.. in a couple years.. 

23 foot limit hull length in the Watertribe events.   Also, I think all the shallow water filters would nix a fixed keel. (Further review of pix is a centerboard.   Still would be too much for 3 max crew limit)

It would be an interesting ‘engine of torture’ for the Y2K!

(I’m keeping that name for my next boat)

Stumbling

4 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

23 foot limit hull length in the Watertribe events.   Also, I think all the shallow water filters would nix a fixed keel.

It would be an interesting ‘engine of torture’ for the Y2K!

(I’m keeping that name for my next boat)

Stumbling

nothing a few minutes with a good chainsaw can't fix ;)

6 hours ago, Nutrunner Dorchester said:

This ULTIMATE 30 was raced as Ziploc, later named The Edge, and raced in San Francisco by John McLauren of Cal Yacht Club.  I bought it off John in the late 90's and sailed her in Marina Del Rey and Cabrillo Beach around the turn of the century.  Weighted 2000 lbs, a Carbon Fiber hull, North Sails and aluminum mast with 6 trapezes and racks.  A weighted centerboard, carbon fiber bow pole and huge sail plan.  THIS IS THE MOST FUN BOAT I EVER OWNED!.  Would love to have it back!  RD

2000 Ralph W with Ultimate 30 Marina Del Rey Cal Yacht Club.jpg

2000 Ralph W with Ziploc Ultimate 30 Marina Del Rey Cal Yacht C.jpg

Same boat as the all yellow one above

Davidson Ultimate 30 commissioned and owned by John MacLaurin. We have the original plans if anyone ends up purchasing her. Haven't looked at what is in there in a while but it's a fairly big roll.

• Like 3
On 12/7/2020 at 2:04 PM, Meat Wad said:

What I don't get is why in places like SF and even SD (in the south Bay) the 18ft Skiff never took off. Maybe we are just a bunch of arm chair quarter backs here.

Race 3 of the 18footer NSW series was posted 1 day ago. Race 2 was abandoned before the start because no one could keep their boats upright.

Cold water...

On 12/8/2020 at 6:54 PM, 44forty said:

Fark that’s cool !   There was a front page thing a few months back where a couple of dudes flush decked a U30 and put a keel on it ....looked very nice 

This one ...not quite as radical but an ultimate 30 all the same 

49DE9C13-B318-4D1F-88A0-C9B974FA9884.png

B588C134-8E52-4FE3-8520-9A1F6EE53701.png

7F3BF132-9B5F-4CEE-9586-229B4E02F3B3.png

• Like 1
6 hours ago, DRIFTW00D said:

Cold water...

Driftwood, not so sure. Frisco is colder and Seattle is worse...I met a dodger in southern CA. (Costa Mesa) who said sailing sucked cuz no wind...but was on a windy day...he moved to Kiwi land...

Where on Great Lakes? Michigan area...you get a bit north and same, but heavier water - no salt.

And anyhow, the aqua in Sydney right now around 22C or around 72F..

BTW, the second 18 skiff race was abandoned because it was around blowing around 35... a couple of them would have bashed around.., but actually the committee boat was in a collision as well..

4 hours ago, BobBill said:

Driftwood, not so sure. Frisco is colder and Seattle is worse...I met a dodger in southern CA. (Costa Mesa) who said sailing sucked cuz no wind...but was on a windy day...he moved to Kiwi land...

Where on Great Lakes? Michigan area...you get a bit north and same, but heavier water - no salt.

I was thinking of Frisco, not SoCal

We call it the Blue Water area of the Great Lakes. My playground is in lower Lake Huron where it drains into the St Clair River. Clear Blue lake water is pulled out of the deep lake into the River. There is 40 + foot visibility under the Big rivers Blue Water Bridges on the shore walk way at times. With some hot shore water from both shores in the mix.

Like Chicago we get strong late summer SW to W to NW winds as cold fronts and lows pass gets  sailing on flat warm water 70+ f.  We are at 43 degrees N wind can hit 60 kn in late summer through fall at times. I get to distance race off shore,  River race in up to 5 knots south flowing water up stream or down. In flat water to big rollers when wind goes against the current in the River

. Early sessions are light winds to moderate winds in cold water . Summer is light wind speed in warmer water.   Wind surfing , plaining dinks or hobbies late Summer through fall in high winds on flat water is a blast. IOR in fresh water was fun. IMS / PHRF/ Level 35/ OPP was better in a Thomas 35. Through in classic 6M class racing and it is good fun. Small boat classes never took hold as Big hookers 24  to 50 footers soaked up all the talent. That and the lack of a good Beach Based sailing club / lake launch, keeps small fast things off a race course. 

yes I was a SCUBA diver, that was in the 60s before I started racing Penguins. It’s 80 ft deep under the Blue Water bridges with clear water, wrecks and lots of fish in 2 to 5 knot current. With Lakers and power boats zooming around over head. Good Times in Fresh Water.

5DD146F8-BCA3-45DC-901B-9AC6634D5F75.png

I swam and sailed and life guarded off Northside, Waveland Rocks, Montrose-Belmont Harbors and off long beach near MIch City. We only did free-dive to 40' til ear infections...Water was not so clear unless calm with West Wind, but water was cooler. Fun. No helmets, no C-19, fewer people. Still, Diego is water world, Pacific chill...no fargin wind, seems. Now in MN no big water and chill air/used to snow.

Really as a draftee in the 70s I trained the Army’s Fort Story Va. Life Guards. It had 4 beach's on Cape Henry. I picked the Atlantic Ocean  Family Beach next to Virginia Beach VA to watch . East coast water is cold early, to hot late summer and dirty south to Cape Hatteras,NC.

I forgot, Frisco, terrible cold...

Yet the SF sailors do all from kites and wetrigs  to the big ones...

And seem to weather the cold water, (suits) and the goofy sharks and monster long jellyfish, wtih aplomb, which does amaze me.

Living near the water, back enough and high enough is kewl...When I was young and sailing out of Mich City, IN, the water's edge was about 100 feet from where we lived (uncle)

and now the residents are adding berms to keep water away...the now always clear water (Zebra Mussels). Never would have guessed either event.

Atlantic is wondrous place or was....until us dinger humans came and took all.

All the best..