Practice Races This Week

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To give you an idea of how close we were to the action, this was taken with a wide angle lens!

A couple of quick ones before I go and send some to the boss ...

Talk about a Bond movie - between the high-speed TV Cat, the spray, the chopper, the chase boats and the AC75s, it was a full-on experience, in Dolby Surround Sound. A perk of being on the TV Cat

Posted Images

America’s Cup defenders Team New Zealand have the honour of starting the first official practice in the new AC75 boats on Tuesday.

Regatta director Iain Murray has called the session on for Tuesday afternoon with Team New Zealand up first up at 3.10pm, having the starting zone for three practice starts until 3.40pm.

Teams are officially allowed to engage opposition for the first time with the Course E zone, situated between Maraetai Beach and Waiheke Island, chosen for the historic moment.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/123631390/americas-cup-team-new-zealand-kick-off-first-official-practice

Just now, atwinda said:

From the webcam, looks like UK, NYYC, ETNZ are headed out to play.. sometimes that camera is zoomed out, but I'm 100% where LR's base is...

I wish I had abandoned ship to NZ and could watch the show first hand...

LR are also in the water (their base isn't visible on any public webcams).

• Like 2

^ obviously differs from reality..marine forecast is 20kt. 

That being said, there is a wind plume from mission Bay area that if lined up right could be making it pretty fresh at bean rock.

Need someone with that fancy app and it's 6 real time stations.

10 minutes ago, barfy said:

That being said, there is a wind plume from mission Bay area that if lined up right could be making it pretty fresh at bean rock.

Just go stand outside :rolleyes:

It's windy... it's gusty

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, barfy said:

image.thumb.png.fcc7a0c9180e33ed4c3a668b8a802dce.png

• Like 1

Sorry peeps they were too far away to get any shots worth posting. But a bloody awesome sight, all four of them in view at the same time without needing to turn my head. ETNZ were hooning it absolutely smoked past LR, long way off so hard to me sure LR were trying...

6 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

It’s right here! 

Wind is looking good so far by the posts above. 

Just as well we have SA!  

I would have thought that with the zillions spent on the AC, they would fork out for some pro coverage, instead of leaving for the enthusiasts!

2 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Just as well we have SA!  

I would have thought that with the zillions spent on the AC, they would fork out for some pro coverage, instead of leaving for the enthusiasts!

Sure, understood.

The pro coverage will come, am very confident about that. For early-days it’s almost more fun to hear from only the local enthusiasts. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, elliot749 said:

Thank you MikeNZ. Are you on Musick Point ? (Sorry if that’s a dumb question  ) I’m looking at the small screen on my phone 

No, in hindsight that'd be a better option. I'm near beachlands.

2 minutes ago, elliot749 said:

Cheers. My boat partner is chugging out there in our keeler past Musick pount.  I’m stuck at home about to take kids to swim club. Bugger shit poor timing 

should have taken then out on the boat and told them to swim home.

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, elliot749 said:

They’re just cycled home from school . My peace is gone now , off to the pool. Damn

but I have asked my guys to send video etc ASAP so will see how we go. 

You kiwis have gotten soft.  Shit you might never win another world cup!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

You kiwis have gotten soft.  Shit you might never win another world cup!

Our 12 year old granddaughter does indoor untethered rock climbing as a sport, overhangs and all.  I think the future is in good hands :lol:

Rock climbing.jpg

• Like 10

9knts out there at present. Just had a video chat to my friends. They are about to film Prada and will hopefully forward that to me

NZ and AM have shot up from the start line at full speed , but both stopped and having a chat ! Didn’t get to top Mark apparently 

Ineos headed home possibly 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, elliot749 said:

9knts out there at present. Just had a video chat to my friends. They are about to film Prada and will hopefully forward that to me

NZ and AM have shot up from the start line at full speed , but both stopped and having a chat ! Didn’t get to top Mark apparently 

Ineos headed home possibly 

American Magic not wasting time with the challengers going after the big fish right away..! :D

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MaxHugen said:

Just as well we have SA!  

In that distant post above, you should be able to make out the progressive twist on the 134m sq Jib1, the slot effect derived from it, the resulting RM progression given the foil cant and flap attack angle, and the reason for that idiot’s choice to suddenly tack even though it was into a freaking header.. we are counting on you! 

• Like 2

Today was a trial day - official practice for all PRO, mark teams as well as the sailors. The Paddock is a decent run from the main marinas and the city - 10 NM aprox. Even in non peak it is getting on for an hour drive by car.

1 minute ago, Jono said:

Today was a trial day - official practice for all PRO, mark teams as well as the sailors. The Paddock is a decent run from the main marinas and the city - 10 NM aprox. Even in non peak it is getting on for an hour drive by car.

Yep, it's deliberately is the least spectator friendly spot!

1 hour ago, MaxHugen said:

Just as well we have SA!  

Today is also the practice day for the pro coverage. They need a fair chance to sort their stuff out too. Today's the first test of all the tech running in a real world scenario.

Helicopter is up, media boats on the water. On board cameras active etc.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

In that distant post above, you should be able to make out the progressive twist on the 134m sq Jib1, the slot effect derived from it, the resulting  RM progression, and the reason for the choice to suddenly tack even though it was into a header. 

Is that a new uptiP starboard foil on LR?

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, zillafreak said:

Are spectator boats not allowed in the area?

A bunch of windsurfers sailed right through, I would say that you could get anywhere outside the actual course boundaries. 

37 minutes ago, Jono said:

I got a nice spot 10 mins away from my office.

I like course E :)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

In that distant post above, you should be able to make out the progressive twist on the 134m sq Jib1, the slot effect derived from it, the resulting RM progression given the foil cant and flap attack angle, and the reason for that idiot’s choice to suddenly tack even though it was into a freaking header.. we are counting on you! 

Easy...   twist is one pixel,  there is no slot,  foil cant is below one sea pixel...  Howzat?

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, fish7yu said:

It was a little practice of the actual practice round starting on Thursday, FFS!! Nobody in their right mind would claim anyone of the four three was "on top"...

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Indio said:

It was a little practice of the actual practice round starting on Thursday, FFS!! Nobody in their right mind would claim anyone of the four three was "on top"...

I was on the water and in the last race between Luna Rosa and TNZ they both did a full lap, ETNZ seemed to have a noticeable edge in height and depth. Starting to windward but behind off LR's hip, ETNZ sailed a high mode and passed LR by the first cross. This slowly stretched to the top mark, downwind, ETNZ sailed noticeably deeper. 

• Like 7