Stingray~

Practice Races This Week

5 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Hey Rennie, so I used my google Fu to find a website that calculates the current value of money based on historical inflation figures and $20 Million in 1992 translates to $37 Million today (all USD) so I reckon my statement is pretty sound.

Right now I'm not sure $37 Million would even get you to the start line with a single boat.

If I recall correctly TNZ's winning 1995 budget was $20 Million NZ pesos.

Cool website, do you have the link handy? 

Thanks for the data. 

2 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Of course if NZ are confident they can make the event close by deliberately losing the first load of races, and them coming back. Like the yanks did the time before last

You have to give it to the Americans. Was that the worlds greatest sand bagging?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

That’s hilariously pathetic  lol 

One persons complaint is another persons banter. Just depends if it is a journalist who reports it or not.

7 minutes ago, Swanno said:

One persons complaint is another persons banter. Just depends if it is a journalist who reports it or not.

Magnus= not a journo

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Magnus= not a journo

Gawd. Just had double torture. Wading thru TE ramblings on SI for over 20mins until his guest MW could get a word in then listening to MW sprouting off crap. Had to switch off.

1 minute ago, chesirecat said:

Gawd. Just had double torture. Wading thru TE ramblings on SI for over 20mins until his guest MW could get a word in then listening to MW sprouting off crap. Had to switch off.

When they both looked at the pic of the guy masked up 

TE “who are the people next to grant simmer... cos I sure don’t know..”

Cunty know all well connected  journo “ erm yeah don’t know either...  

Anyone watching “Ian Jensen and Xabi Fernandez.. “

utterly terrifying

16 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Did anybody ever identify this guy with his fly undone.

CA99EB91-9EBD-4863-8D24-F7E12D90C4F7.thumb.jpeg.2702b9479d02fc47e42b9510850b9b5c.jpeg

Nathan Outteridge on a day out with his mate...

With everyone giving the brits a really hard time about missing the practice races, possibly because of gear breakage, I’d just like to point out that Luna Rossa had a fully legitimate reason for not going sailing:

"The guys are all super tired after we had a really long session yesterday."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-2021-ineos-team-uks-boat-problem-revealed-as-syndicate-hits-back-at-british-pundits-brutal-analysis/W6UMIYB4UTCBA7OB3TQR45UXTY/

Max "The boat was all fine; we didn't have a single technical issue it was just us. We need to understand why we didn't sail to our [potential] but it is all about time in the water. We need to sail as much as possible from now until the beginning of the Prada Cup."

These guys are sounding a bit subdued after practice day 2.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Fucking kiwi fanboys.

5 hours ago, jaysper said:

I'm not convinced about that, given the boats were a lot less complex and the sailors were paid a lot less also.

Aside from that Il Moro was an outlier in a time when $20 Million could fund a competitive campaign.

How much did $10 buy you back then??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dullers said:

You have to give it to the Americans. Was that the worlds greatest sand bagging?

Nope. World's greatest CHEAT!!

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

Max "The boat was all fine; we didn't have a single technical issue it was just us. We need to understand why we didn't sail to our [potential] but it is all about time in the water. We need to sail as much as possible from now until the beginning of the Prada Cup."

It looks like someone just stole their ice creams.

1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

Maximilian is sounding a lot more subdued than his initial dismissive BS against Ineos and AM when they first saw them...

What a difference a week makes lol last week it was "We are executing our maneuvers perfectly" a week later its "We need to understand why we didn't sail to our potential" like I said, ETNZ has put the shits up the Challengers.

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Magnus= not a journo

Does Magnus even own a cat or a dog ??

7 hours ago, Indio said:

Nope. World's greatest CHEAT!!

Ha, triggered. Go and pat your dog and stop the neighbours feeding your cat.  

14 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

Let's assume that all of the hype about the NZ boat is true.  Well, this settles the questions for which mode to design the boat.  

SPEED

There has been all this talk about the trade-offs of quick foiling, stability, maneuverability, straight line speed, VMG gains, etc...  Of course everyone says the fastest boat will win, but it had been clouded by the fact that these new boats can suffer major penalties if they fall off the foils, or another boat can force them into bad spot, etc....   The designs of the hulls, rigs, sails, foils have all been keyed into which mode that each team thinks will win and to prevent what they are afraid of.

This little exercise shows that speed kills.  It doesn't really matter who can out maneuver their opponent on the start, there is still enough room on the course to over come that disadvantage with speed.   That may have been obvious to some, but it is now clearly obvious to all.

We will see some major shifts for all the boats to cheat on the side of more speed over other factors.

speed to the mark fool. called VMG

14 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

I had to read that twice to make sure I read it correctly.  Maybe a solution for the next edition since they are almost robo boats now.  Instead of having multiple head down, helmet wearing grinders and the boats just sailing tight AWA angles around the course (read jib and main only)  why not just replace all of the grinders with batteries. 

I hope the actual racing is close.  I do miss seeing teamwork and sail handling - all the good and the bad.  Not full coverage but some great moments ... from 10:30 is truly fun to watch

• Like 3
  • Downvote 2

Agree completely Yoyo. The excitement of those races was not about the numbers on the screen but the sail handling and dealing with things when shit happens that all sailors recognise.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Man Overboard said:

Two packs of B&H 20's and a can of Coke. Proper sailor's material that. 

Or a bottle of Mt. Gay. 

Proper sailor's material that.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

With everyone giving the brits a really hard time about missing the practice races, possibly because of gear breakage, I’d just like to point out that Luna Rossa had a fully legitimate reason for not going sailing:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-2021-ineos-team-uks-boat-problem-revealed-as-syndicate-hits-back-at-british-pundits-brutal-analysis/W6UMIYB4UTCBA7OB3TQR45UXTY/

My guess is that the Challengers dont want to give Team Middle East any practice.

13 minutes ago, dullers said:

My guess is that the Challengers dont want to give Team Middle East any practice.

activating ignore:  ....    bye  bye

• Like 1

1 minute ago, breezie said:

bye.

9 hours ago, yoyo said:

I had to read that twice to make sure I read it correctly.  Maybe a solution for the next edition since they are almost robo boats now.  Instead of having multiple head down, helmet wearing grinders and the boats just sailing tight AWA angles around the course (read jib and main only)  why not just replace all of the grinders with batteries. 

I hope the actual racing is close.  I do miss seeing teamwork and sail handling - all the good and the bad.  Not full coverage but some great moments ... from 10:30 is truly fun to watch

All I can hear is Cayard screaming at Carter Perrin, it was like a drinking game.....

48 minutes ago, fish7yu said:

Billy Bunter all class as per usual favourite AC moment watching the Australian opposition sink not actually winning the event for his country with all his team mates.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Billy Bunter all class as per usual favourite AC moment watching the Australian opposition sink not actually winning the event for his country with all his team mates.

To be fair, it was a very special trans-tasman moment. Almost made up for the Chappell brothers ignoble effort, back in '81.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, breezie said:

Same here.

It is utterly amazing how any significant event in AC or Ocean Racing brings out dull and duller (sic!) shitposters year after year.

On topic: Any news on the actual damage INEOS might have sustained?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Grog said:

Same here.

It is utterly amazing how any significant event in AC or Ocean Racing brings out dull and duller (sic!) shitposters year after year.

On topic: Any news on the actual damage INEOS might have sustained?

Tony reckons it's all good. They're being turbo-charged, as we speak. I'm looking forward to the reveal.

• Like 1

Going to be a cracker week out on the sparkling Waitemata home of the Cup don’t be fooled by the large blocking high pressure it can blow here without a isobar in sight.

652854F7-BD6B-45A5-AB3D-D6B9B0BF0406.thumb.jpeg.567d32cc6d027ab733aeddf421e5014e.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Tony reckons it's all good. They're being turbo-charged, as we speak. I'm looking forward to the reveal.

I have no idea whether Tony has any knowledge or is talking out of his arse, but it does seem likely that GB and AM at least are having planned changes.

I find it amazing that some posters can spout on about how NZ will have developments right up to the start of the AC and then claim that the challengers have run out of ideas already. 

All teams will be changing stuff. Time will tell which final iteration is fastest

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Enzedel92 said:

Will any teams be practicing today?  Monday in New Zealand?

Supposedly (according to Stuff) the frackers have said they will turn up. 

4 minutes ago, kenergy said:

Supposedly (according to Stuff) the frackers have said they will turn up. 

Tony will be positively euphoric. Expect another tweet.

7 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Tony will be positively euphoric. Expect another tweet.

Is today the day we start weeping?

1 minute ago, kenergy said:

Is today the day we start weeping?

Damn. I've run out of Kleenex. Too many other priorities, obviously. ;-)

• Like 1

Frackers crane boom is up shed door is opening TNZ getting prepared no sign of any life at Amway and thanks to the Panuku numpty's no view of the Handbags.

Glorious morning here in the home of the Cup.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Priscilla said:

What a cock sucker.

Is that what TV is like these days?

Thank fuck I don't watch it!

53 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Going to be a cracker week out on the sparkling Waitemata home of the Cup don’t be fooled by the large blocking high pressure it can blow here without a isobar in sight.

652854F7-BD6B-45A5-AB3D-D6B9B0BF0406.thumb.jpeg.567d32cc6d027ab733aeddf421e5014e.jpeg

Just not first thing in the morning....

1A3351CE-DC51-431C-9C7C-7E33E7440FB5.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Just not first thing in the morning....

1A3351CE-DC51-431C-9C7C-7E33E7440FB5.jpeg

Glorious. Not a jammed motorway in sight.

On 12/13/2020 at 4:52 AM, yoyo said:

...why not just replace all of the grinders with batteries.

What a fucking stupid comment. Don't watch AC36 if the AC75's offend your sense of entitlement so much!!

Will it get hot enough today for a good sea breeze??? Hoping so or this week will be lots of floating around. :blink: Or ETNZ will get plenty of use for their CZ

39 minutes ago, Enzedel92 said:

I see 6 knots at least.  Time to race and see who’s hull is sticky.

It won't be Muffin Top's if that rudder elevator is still workin. ;-)

On 12/12/2020 at 3:47 AM, Forourselves said:

What a difference a week makes lol last week it was "We are executing our maneuvers perfectly" a week later its "We need to understand why we didn't sail to our potential" like I said, ETNZ has put the shits up the Challengers.

The challengers might as well go home......

Just wandered through the Viaduct. Britannia, Te Rehutai, Luna Rossa all preparing to go sailing. No outward movement at the American Magic base yet.

Te Rehutai had her mast on, then off, then on again - don't know what that was about. Otherwise nothing remarkable going on.

• Like 4

I have no idea whether Tony has any knowledge or is talking out of his arse, but it does seem likely that GB and AM at least are having planned changes.

I find it amazing that some posters can spout on about how NZ will have developments right up to the start of the AC and then claim that the challengers have run out of ideas already. 

All teams will be changing stuff. Time will tell which final iteration is fastest

Fanboys are always out in force. It screws with being objective. 

10 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

Just wandered through the Viaduct. Britannia, Te Rehutai, Luna Rossa all preparing to go sailing. No outward movement at the American Magic base yet.

Te Rehutai had her mast on, then off, then on again - don't know what that was about. Otherwise nothing remarkable going on.

Is it still part of the race practice thing or is back to normal trips round the gulf?

12 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

Te Rehutai had her mast on, then off, then on again - don't know what that was about.

Like a fake tack? The bastards! 

• Like 4

Just now, Stingray~ said:

Like a fake tack? The bastards! 

Ha, ha. Very good, Stinger. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dullers said:

Fanboys are always out in force. It screws with being objective. 

Being objective takes discipline, Dulles. Where's the fun in that? ;-)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sailbydate said:

1 minute ago, Sailbydate said:

Thats why I have a hard time with it then. No discipline.

Were these practice races added on at a later date? Sort of sprung on the challengers so to speak?

1 hour ago, Indio said:

What a fucking stupid comment. Don't watch AC36 if the AC75's offend your sense of entitlement so much!!

The comment is spot on.  If it were not mandated by the arbitrary rules for this class I’m sure the speed/media focused crowd would just have someone to drive and maybe move the sails in and out with everything else either automated or powered.  

2pm - Course B looks the goods.  Won't worry the Harbour Master either because there is still a log jam at the port!

Has anyone got the official GPS marks for the course boundaries?  I can then update a KLM file for distribution which you can overlay on forecast sites such as Windy.

image.thumb.png.7210ba401ef503d03739c542774043cd.png

41 minutes ago, dullers said:

Were these practice races added on at a later date? Sort of sprung on the challengers so to speak?

Practice races always scheduled in recent years so that the race committee can get their bouy and line laying, judges, boundary boats, safety boats,  tv boats and all the volunteer marshals ready. Particularly with the boundary style course with I believe helicopters above. It helps the race officer if there are race boats on the course but not necessary so always just an invitational.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Practice races always scheduled in recent years so that the race committee can get their bouy and line laying, judges, boundary boats, safety boats,  tv boats and all the volunteer marshals ready. Particularly with the boundary style course with I believe helicopters above. It helps the race officer if there are race boats on the course but not necessary so always just an invitational.

You said scheduled in recent years. But when did they schedule this one?

8 minutes ago, dullers said:

You said scheduled in recent years. But when did they schedule this one?

About ten days ago, it was only after IM got out of quarantine. 

My guess is that teams will sail ‘hot’ for periods in this coming ACWS since the boats almost have to be sailed that way, but they won’t necessarily head out with their best possible current configurations. 

5 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

About ten days ago, it was only after IM got out of quarantine. 

Ah. That fits with the lack of interest in it and teams doing their own thing then. To think I fell for the Defender scaring all the others off the water......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikenz2 said:

And Te Rehutai is out sailing

1230156.thumb.jpg.cfe04a58cd58dcedb34cac456b01f212.jpg

Hmm.... they just sailed back up the harbour towards the base.

2 minutes ago, Enzedel92 said:

What did they break?

They sailed back, not limped back. So if something broke it wasn't major looking. Who forgot to pack lunch?

19 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

Course markers are on their way out. I'll let you know which way they head.

They've headed around north head and up the coast, so expect course A today.

1 minute ago, mikenz2 said:

They've headed around north head and up the coast, so expect course A today.

Dammit, furthest away from me. 

Luna Rossa towed out without any sails up. Britannia is sailing around off North Head, the guys don't seem afraid to throw it around. Patriot just towed out with main up. Te Rehutai has headed out again.

We could have all four teams for today's session!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

Luna Rossa towed out without any sails up. Britannia is sailing around off North Head, the guys don't seem afraid to throw it around. Patriot just towed out with main up. Te Rehutai has headed out again.

We could have all four teams for today's session!

Cool!  Hopefully someone gets some good video!!

1 hour ago, Enzedel92 said:

What did they break?

Hahaha!! The crew mutinied - they're being overworked and tired..:D

2 hours ago, Enzedel92 said:

What did they break?

INEOS scared them back to base.....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dullers said:

INEOS scared them back to base.....

Nah they just wanted to make sure the challengers were actually going to make it out onto the courses before they went out. 

4 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

They've headed out to join the Challengers

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIwk44zgyDd/

6 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

They've headed out to join the Challengers

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIwk44zgyDd/

I did not mean you to take it seriously. I will tone down my posts.

Just now, dullers said:

I did not mean you to take it seriously. I will tone down my posts.

haha - I don't take anything seriously on this forum!

Full disclosure: I run that instagram account :-)

2 hours ago, mikenz2 said:

And Te Rehutai is out sailing

NZ first left about 10:45 then came back to base at about 12:11 pm , AM left about 12:50, and then NZ left again at about 1:11

747363824_ScreenShot2020-12-13at7_08_11PM.thumb.png.61b949db668226c5cf7625127f592295.png

2 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Shit.... looks windy...

8-11 knots, will be a good test of light-mid range capabilities

• Like 1

Just now, mikenz2 said:

8-11 knots, will be a good test of light-mid range capabilities

Yup Amway and the Handbags doing very nicely on 10 knots of Northerly .

Amway some distance ahead now running back towards North Head.