Practice Races This Week

21 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Going to be a total nightmare trying to access the Parnell Baths for a swim unless you have a bike lucky me.

Thank the gods the pavement has been resurfaced. I've got a Brooks sprung touring seat but those root raised ridges were pure torture.

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To give you an idea of how close we were to the action, this was taken with a wide angle lens!

A couple of quick ones before I go and send some to the boss ...

Talk about a Bond movie - between the high-speed TV Cat, the spray, the chopper, the chase boats and the AC75s, it was a full-on experience, in Dolby Surround Sound. A perk of being on the TV Cat

Posted Images

Team New Zealand's plan to test themselves against opposition in the first official practice racing ahead of the America's Cup World Series was thwarted twice on Monday - after light winds first forced the Kiwi syndicate's race against INEOS Team UK to be cancelled, before the British boat pulled out of a second race at the last minute.

Team NZ were set to take on Ben Ainslie's crew shortly before 3pm on Monday, after official practice racing was called off on Friday following the decision by the three challengers to stay off the water, but the practice race had to be axed when the time limit expired in breeze of only about 8kn.

The two teams were set to face each other at 4.45pm - but the British pulled out just after the pre-start, leaving TNZ sailing the race course by themselves. TNZ went up to the top mark and back to the finish before the race was abandoned because the British pulled out during the pre-start.

Each team was meant to race twice today off Rangitoto Island - with Italian syndicate Luna Rossa earlier claiming a comfortable victory against American Magic in the first completed race of the day, but racing was then later delayed again when the breeze was only 5kn on the start line.

14 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Team New Zealand's plan to test themselves against opposition in the first official practice racing ahead of the America's Cup World Series was thwarted twice on Monday - after light winds first forced the Kiwi syndicate's race against INEOS Team UK to be cancelled, before the British boat pulled out of a second race at the last minute.

Team NZ were set to take on Ben Ainslie's crew shortly before 3pm on Monday, after official practice racing was called off on Friday following the decision by the three challengers to stay off the water, but the practice race had to be axed when the time limit expired in breeze of only about 8kn.

The two teams were set to face each other at 4.45pm - but the British pulled out just after the pre-start, leaving TNZ sailing the race course by themselves. TNZ went up to the top mark and back to the finish before the race was abandoned because the British pulled out during the pre-start.

Each team was meant to race twice today off Rangitoto Island - with Italian syndicate Luna Rossa earlier claiming a comfortable victory against American Magic in the first completed race of the day, but racing was then later delayed again when the breeze was only 5kn on the start line.

Aren't their sanctions for not participating in organised events??

9 minutes ago, MrBump said:

only for the ACWS later in the week

In that case, Ineos must be super super happy with their repairs-cum-mods for them to pull out in their second practice against ETNZ, to keep the lid on their new warp speed.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Indio said:

In that case, Ineos must be super super happy with their repairs-cum-mods for them to pull out in their second practice against ETNZ, to keep the lid on their new warp speed.

I'm not sure but they may have to only start one race of the ACWS in a measured boat to tick off that attendance requirement. 

In the first race INEOS fell off the foils during their first turn in the pre-start. ETNZ were foiling for another couple of mins after the start before also coming off, so we’ll ahead but then both racing in displacement mode. ETNZ got back up after a while and carried on, INEOS gave up. Very odd.

• Like 2

is anyone else thinking that it might just be possible that Ineos may be doing the ultimate 'shes a dog' / sandbag ... i mean, if you were to write a script where ineos had to hide what it had wouldn't you claim breakages / not enough wind  etc etc as plausible excuses  while the media beat up a good fake news rant about the boat being slow and difficult.

surely Ben has learnt from ETNZ in San Fran

image.png.9a40eed16dbea90a5632f1e01d22aa13.png

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Lickindip said:

is anyone else thinking that it might just be possible that Ineos may be doing the ultimate 'shes a dog' / sandbag ... i mean, if you were to write a script where ineos had to hide what it had wouldn't you claim breakages / not enough wind  etc etc as plausible excuses  while the media beat up a good fake news rant about the boat being slow and difficult.

surely Ben has learnt from ETNZ in San Fran

image.png.9a40eed16dbea90a5632f1e01d22aa13.png

B1 wasn't a dog according to Cagliari locals

Only one way to tell if its a dog, and thats show up do a prestart and sail around the buoys then cross the finish line.  Not practicing and hoping you have the greatest breakthrough that will blitz all before them until March, isnt going to happen. They need to pull finger.

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/123692526/americas-cup-double-disaster-for-british-in-practice-racing

America's Cup: Double disaster for British in practice racing

Another bad headline for the Brits.

Seem incapable of joining the dots as well. Just like the Dan Carter event

"The Kiwis won't have been happy either as rare opportunities for them to race against opposition never materialised."

• Like 2

INEOS did fuck all sailing that I saw all afternoon, after being in the shed for a few days you'd think they would want a bit of a shakedown. The breeze was light but the other three teams spent plenty of time on the foiks. 

18 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

Only one way to tell if its a dog, and thats show up do a prestart and sail around the buoys then cross the finish line.  Not practicing and hoping you have the greatest breakthrough that will blitz all before them until March, isnt going to happen. They need to pull finger.

Surely they need sail time, even if sandbagging.  Or simply not enough wind for the current configuration.... 

As I predicted months back, it was great to have 2 AC75's in Te Aihe and Defiant foiling around the Waitemata. It was a welcome distraction from the sight of Te Aihe ripping around the harbour every day.

But it was always only a matter of time before the stronger teams turned up and leapfrogged American Magic. Luna Rossa seems the strongest of the 3 at this stage (and to be fair, probably the whole time).

As much as it would be somewhat of a feel good story to see American Magic succeed on their first campaign, it was never going to happen, thats just the reality of it.

Luna Rossa has really taken a balls to the wall, all or nothing approach. They want it this time, and that shows. From being willing to fracture their relationship with ETNZ, to designing an extreme B1, to turning up to most race practice days.

The questions are really being asked of the Brits, and rightly so. Where the hell did it all go wrong? There was an interview they did with Freddie Carr in I think it was the deck layout video where he says "You give us the fastest design and we'll fit into it" That is one of the fundamental areas they went wrong IMO. Its exactly where Team NZ went wrong in 2003. They had an extreme design and tried to fit into it, and it didn't work. The fundamentals aren't there. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, WakaNZ said:

Surely they need sail time, even if sandbagging.  Or simply not enough wind for the current configuration.... 

Better to sail on their own and keep their cards close to their chest methinks.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, weta27 said:

In the first race INEOS fell off the foils during their first turn in the pre-start. ETNZ were foiling for another couple of mins after the start before also coming off, so we’ll ahead but then both racing in displacement mode. ETNZ got back up after a while and carried on, INEOS gave up. Very odd.

Hang on. Are you saying that INEOS fell off her foils in her first manoeuvre, then kept racing in displacement mode (to the point where they started or looked intent to start), then gave in?

11 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Hang on. Are you saying that INEOS fell off her foils in her first manoeuvre, then kept racing in displacement mode (to the point where they started or looked intent to start), then gave in?

Yes. ETNZ had got up on foils on their own before the pre-start, INEOS towed to get up.

INEOS came right across to us in the pre-start, foiling, turned, dropped off and just kept sailing in displacement. Didn't look like getting up again.

ETNZ carried on foiling for another minute or two, over the line, then came off - they had covered a bit of ground by then so I didn't see if it was lack of wind or waiting for the Poms to catch up.

Both boats sailed in displacement for another 5 mins or so, then ETNZ managed to get back up again. INEOS just carried on out to one side of the course and stopped.

• Like 9
8 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Yes. ETNZ had got up on foils on their own before the pre-start, INEOS towed to get up.

INEOS came right across to us in the pre-start, foiling, turned, dropped off and just kept sailing in displacement. Didn't look like getting up again.

ETNZ carried on foiling for another minute or two, over the line, then came off - they had covered a bit of ground by then so I didn't see if it was lack of wind or waiting for the Poms to catch up.

Both boats sailed in displacement for another 5 mins or so, then ETNZ managed to get back up again. INEOS just carried on out to one side of the course and stopped.

Geeze. 

Tony Dexter didn’t tell us about this!

• Like 7

Talk about a Bond movie - between the high-speed TV Cat, the spray, the chopper, the chase boats and the AC75s, it was a full-on experience, in Dolby Surround Sound.

A perk of being on the TV Cat - rooftop buzz & fly-alongside from the TV chopper guys.

Check out how low the chopper is coming alongside, and that's Italian photographer Carlo Borlenghi shooting back at us.

DSC_3498.JPG

DSC_3505.JPG

• Like 20
1 hour ago, weta27 said:

so let me get this straight ... ETNZ with there upper wind boards are foiling better then Ineos with its medium to light boards in light winds ... either ETNZ are sooooooo far ahead of the curve or Ineos doesnt want to play for a reason

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Lickindip said:

so let me get this straight ... ETNZ with there upper wind boards are foiling better then Ineos with its medium to light boards in light winds ... either ETNZ are sooooooo far ahead of the curve or Ineos doesnt want to play for a reason

We MIGHT know more this time next week. Winds are looking light Thursday to Sunday. 

16 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

DSC_3821.thumb.JPG.33c4018020648b65f57133e20f5bb8c9.jpg.95cf3ff9174ff30ef899aba78fd9ab60.jpg

Is this the new game changing hardware? Maybe Tony can confirm? Looks like R2D2's periscope.....

I'm surprised none of the teams have adopted HUDs. (head up displays)  Wouldn't have to wear goggles either then.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, kenergy said:

They haven't been doing much of that lately either. 

The only logical explanation is scheduled upgrades coming online.

I don't buy the whole "they fucked their boat" scenario cos we saw in Bermuda how quickly ETNZ resurrected their boat after the pitch pole.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Can just hear Ben now. Just like in Bermuda Arrrrr what happened!? What happened!? Just killing us! Lol

Yep, and loved how Ken said that he would let Ben be the commentator on that one.

I found it incredible how suddenly ETNZ were sailing deep angles and BAR were practically crawling across the course at practically no angle at all.

Beautiful!

5 minutes ago, jaysper said:

The only logical explanation is scheduled upgrades coming online.

I don't buy the whole "they fucked their boat" scenario cos we saw in Bermuda how quickly ETNZ resurrected their boat after the pitch pole.

I think possible scheduled upgrades brought forward. 

Just now, uflux said:

I doubt they have a clue why they have even done it..

Their development has been very haphazard, despite large financial resources. With regards to their foils, it looks like they've struggled with the restraints, never really having a clear development plan. Still, we don't know their performance, so its premature to write them off just yet, but yeah, they're signs of stress there.

1 hour ago, Horn Rock said:

DSC_3821.thumb.JPG.33c4018020648b65f57133e20f5bb8c9.jpg.95cf3ff9174ff30ef899aba78fd9ab60.jpg

Is this the new game changing hardware? Maybe Tony can confirm? Looks like R2D2's periscope.....

That is definitely a Turboencabulator. Sitting in front of the media mast I suspect it has an AI noise cancelling profanity filter. So expect a deathly silence most of the time from the ITUK on boards. 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, uflux said:

Thanks LSD. Looks like this will be the best source for info on what's happening. RG and Matt Sheehan could step up as well, we shall see. 

Sounds like more trouble for INEOS, especially in the light airs and their failure to use the time on the water effectively. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Lickindip said:

I wouldn't be surprised if PB / Ashby / Tuke have them already on the inside of these goggles

image.png.c6145cb21c75110ce3b0c8d202d7e093.png

Pete's reaction, when looking across at INEOS, "What the fuck.......?"

• Like 1
1 hour ago, barfy said:

This foil looks to have converged with etnz's current set, except not flat of course.

Looks like it's still ~50% larger - although these measurements were done a while ago (just after the "seagull" foil), so not sure they haven't put on yet another one:

image.png.1af78ecf9806e4ec324519b7de684378.png

• Like 3

You know, the more shit that is heaped on INEOS, the more suspicious I am that they're ballasted up with a base load of sand bags.

Reminds me of 1995 and the rumours Sir Peter Blake's guys put about the San Diego waterfront - that NZL32 was a dog, compared to NZL38 (which they sailed in the LV Cup). Said, Murray Jones about this great deception, “We did a great job early on. We didn’t want to advertise that (that NZL32 was a rocket ship) because other teams were still designing and building boats. We put it out there that the boat was a dog and that we were going to have a bit of trouble. That rumour flew like wildfire which was awesome."

Could be a masterstroke, if Sir Ben is about to beat the Kiwis at their own game, eh?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Priscilla said:

That was nearly a readable article. Almost no imagination used in making it up. I am surprised you posted it Pris.

5 hours ago, kenergy said:

I wondered what the hell went on.

Saw ineos pull out, figured either something broke or they just chickened out. 

INEOS has been reading your posts and know the Kiwis are so good that they dont need the practice.  It could also be sand bagging.

4 hours ago, minimumfuss said:

Well they dont do they. They only have to take the Prada cup seriously and then the final. I suspect they will do one race in the Christmas regatta to show attendance according to the rules, go slow and no one will know where they are until the first Prada race.  As one journo has already pointed out they always seem to go fast when they are away from the others on the horizon. There is a clip of her on the horizon in one of JMs films and it looks like a rocket even from that distance.  I saw B1 in the Solent and cameras do not even begin to show how fast these things go. INEOS will be fine when it matters.(I hope as I really dont know)

4 hours ago, Forourselves said:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/123692526/americas-cup-double-disaster-for-british-in-practice-racing

America's Cup: Double disaster for British in practice racing

Another bad headline for the Brits.

Did they sink twice today?

4 hours ago, chesirecat said:

Seem incapable of joining the dots as well. Just like the Dan Carter event

"The Kiwis won't have been happy either as rare opportunities for them to race against opposition never materialised."

Imagine how he was when the mast fell off in 2003? Did he post the NZH headlines then for us all to read?

13 minutes ago, dullers said:

Well they dont do they. They only have to take the Prada cup seriously and then the final. I suspect they will do one race in the Christmas regatta to show attendance according to the rules, go slow and no one will know where they are until the first Prada race.  As one journo has already pointed out they always seem to go fast when they are away from the others on the horizon. There is a clip of her on the horizon in one of JMs films and it looks like a rocket even from that distance.  I saw B1 in the Solent and cameras do not even begin to show how fast these things go. INEOS will be fine when it matters.(I hope as I really dont know)

Noted.

4 hours ago, Forourselves said:

As I predicted months back, it was great to have 2 AC75's in Te Aihe and Defiant foiling around the Waitemata. It was a welcome distraction from the sight of Te Aihe ripping around the harbour every day.

But it was always only a matter of time before the stronger teams turned up and leapfrogged American Magic. Luna Rossa seems the strongest of the 3 at this stage (and to be fair, probably the whole time).

As much as it would be somewhat of a feel good story to see American Magic succeed on their first campaign, it was never going to happen, thats just the reality of it.

Luna Rossa has really taken a balls to the wall, all or nothing approach. They want it this time, and that shows. From being willing to fracture their relationship with ETNZ, to designing an extreme B1, to turning up to most race practice days.

The questions are really being asked of the Brits, and rightly so. Where the hell did it all go wrong? There was an interview they did with Freddie Carr in I think it was the deck layout video where he says "You give us the fastest design and we'll fit into it" That is one of the fundamental areas they went wrong IMO. Its exactly where Team NZ went wrong in 2003. They had an extreme design and tried to fit into it, and it didn't work. The fundamentals aren't there. 

You sound like the positive reports the Generals gave Hitler in the final days in the bunker. Have you noticed all the teams are not giving the Kiwis the practice? INEOS is just taking it to an extreme.  Would it not be best to wait and see?  I am thinking INEOS will do one bad race in the regatta and then pull out.  This will leave you thinking you have already won the cup and the rest of us still trying to guess the INEOS plan.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, dullers said:

You sound like the positive reports the Generals gave Hitler in the final days in the bunker. Have you noticed all the teams are not giving the Kiwis the practice? INEOS is just taking it to an extreme.  Would it not be best to wait and see?  I am thinking INEOS will do one bad race in the regatta and then pull out.  This will leave you thinking you have already won the cup and the rest of us still trying to guess the INEOS plan.

It's looking pretty grim for Ineos. It was a humiliating day today. They didn't nail a tack or gybe all day and couldn't get out of the water of their own accord. 

This Thursday will reveal what those in the know already know - It's likely to be embarrassing, and humiliating if it's at the bottom of the wind range (which it isn't looking like).

Has Tony said anything about Ineos not being able to stay on the foils today? Got towed onto a wave all day then fell off the foils so much so that Pete Burling made a un-recorded remark to his crew about the Frackers that couldn't be recorded unfortunately? Do the Poms have a secret they are trying to hide or is it a case of "YES" they are in some trouble? LOL 

I think the Poms are up to something as are all the teams but more so Ineos. And the reason I say that is their B2 was the closest to ETNZ and I don't believe Nick Holroyd could get it that wrong. Interestimg times.....:D

Just now, JALhazmat said:

an unrecorded remark that couldn't be recorded? 

is that like if a tree falls in the woods without anyone to hear it does it make a sound..

Ha Ha yeah sorry about that I think you know what I mean..:D

7 minutes ago, Xlot said:

And nobody’s using CZs, apparently

Which again means nothing..we've seen everyone? Have a play with the cz, no one fell over, maybe they are saving them as a secret weapon...it's all so spy vrs spy..

1 hour ago, NZL3481 said:

It's looking pretty grim for Ineos. It was a humiliating day today. They didn't nail a tack or gybe all day and couldn't get out of the water of their own accord. 

This Thursday will reveal what those in the know already know - It's likely to be embarrassing, and humiliating if it's at the bottom of the wind range (which it isn't looking like).

I hope you noticed that some of the worlds best sailors could not trim a main sale?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

Has Tony said anything about Ineos not being able to stay on the foils today? Got towed onto a wave all day then fell off the foils so much so that Pete Burling made a un-recorded remark to his crew about the Frackers that couldn't be recorded unfortunately? Do the Poms have a secret they are trying to hide or is it a case of "YES" they are in some trouble? LOL 

I think the Poms are up to something as are all the teams but more so Ineos. And the reason I say that is their B2 was the closest to ETNZ and I don't believe Nick Holroyd could get it that wrong. Interestimg times.....:D

I heard Ben Ainsley make a remark that could not be recorded and no one heard including me.....

5 hours ago, weta27 said:

Talk about a Bond movie - between the high-speed TV Cat, the spray, the chopper, the chase boats and the AC75s, it was a full-on experience, in Dolby Surround Sound.

A perk of being on the TV Cat - rooftop buzz & fly-alongside from the TV chopper guys.

Check out how low the chopper is coming alongside, and that's Italian photographer Carlo Borlenghi shooting back at us.

DSC_3498.JPG

DSC_3505.JPG

Does the new NZ-Australia travel bubble mean Carlo Borlenghi will be able to cover the Sydney to Hobart race and then come back?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, kenergy said:

I think possible scheduled upgrades brought forward. 

So why even go out there and fuck around?  Just the illusion of sandbagging?  Come on.  Seems like a stupid strategy. Time would be better spent in the shed.  Either INEOS is super fast or they are in trouble imho.