Sign in to follow this  
Editor

it was all yellow

d-ranger-yellow-1024x620.jpg

Here's another yellow boat, this one being modded out. Know what it is?

6 minutes ago, PeterRoss said:

Melges 24

Um, no. Wrong shape,and no bowspeit on stbd, and different coachroof

Decision 7.5 

Spanish boat apparently.  Photos of some of the mods are in the Martin 242 thread starting at post #14

BD4889EA-526A-455C-9E7E-2A69217DAF66.thumb.jpeg.cd64b09e78cdc269a530bd9015077cc6.jpeg

• Like 2

it's like looking at pictures of my boat being refited, just that it was'nt yellow. :)

That shipyard closed about a decade ago. I might be wrong but I think although Astilleros Decisión was as Spanish company, the boats were actually built in Poland. 

4 hours ago, Bedford said:

Yup, Decision 7.5

inbound4038226375302334211.jpg

You take your Covid masking seriously, don’t you?

?Nice looking boat.

2 minutes ago, Bedford said:

21 holes in the transom, WTF?

rough guess

8 rudder bracketry,

4  back stay

4 outboard bracket

4 Boarding ladder

A N other I ain't got a clue..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Q said:

rough guess

8 rudder bracketry,

4  back stay

4 outboard bracket

4 Boarding ladder

The odd hole looks a little bigger. Maybe bilge pump discharge. 

7 hours ago, chuso007 said:

That shipyard closed about a decade ago. I might be wrong but I think although Astilleros Decisión was as Spanish company, the boats were actually built in Poland. 

The boat is older than a decade, for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GH41 said:

The odd hole looks a little bigger. Maybe bilge pump discharge. 

Looks smallish for that. Probably for running cables for light and electronics?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

Looks smallish for that. Probably for running cables for light and electronics?

MOB pole. Definitely.

7 hours ago, The Q said:

rough guess

8 rudder bracketry,

4  back stay

4 outboard bracket

4 Boarding ladder

A Outboard Fuel line hole.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve said:
On 12/8/2020 at 9:34 PM, Gouvernail said:

MFG Cobra from 1970. It is a Rod McAlpine Downey design 

http://www.sailmfg.com/cobra23/pictures/cobra23batch2/cobra23.html

23C6CF03-A1DE-4199-B5E7-A2153F51F969.jpeg

McAlpine Downey huh, no shit, cool. Never seen a mono by him. 

I thought that was one of Ford's designs? But it's still a very cool boat and if I ever find one for sale, I am totally buying it.

McAlpine-Downey designed a bunch of great monohulls including the Buccaneer 18. His name always brings CROSSBOW to my mind, though, even if I am currently sailing a Bucc!

FB- Doug

3 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I thought that was one of Ford's designs? But it's still a very cool boat and if I ever find one for sale, I am totally buying it.

McAlpine-Downey designed a bunch of great monohulls including the Buccaneer 18. His name always brings CROSSBOW to my mind, though, even if I am currently sailing a Bucc!

FB- Doug

Only a very few Cobras were built. No way there are enough. I thought we built only two but I was off nine months  a year at college and there may have been others I never saw. 
  The only decent part of the boat  was the hull shape. Every other part. Was a total abortion. In the nineties I tried to buy the molds from Playcraft/ Charger in Missouri. They chose to bulldoze all the tooling for sll the sailboats rather than let anyone buy any of it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Only a very few Cobras were built. No way there are enough. I thought we built only two but I was off nine months  a year at college and there may have been others I never saw. 
  The only decent part of the boat  was the hull shape. Every other part. Was a total abortion. In the nineties I tried to buy the molds from Playcraft/ Charger in Missouri. They chose to bulldoze all the tooling for sll the sailboats rather than let anyone buy any of it. 

It's a shame that was all lost, also a shame that some of those very good designs were finished so poorly. Didn't know there were so few Cobras built, it really looks like a 1960's attempt at a modern sport boat. Far ahead of it's time!

FB- Doug

25 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

It's a shame that was all lost, also a shame that some of those very good designs were finished so poorly. Didn't know there were so few Cobras built, it really looks like a 1960's attempt at a modern sport boat. Far ahead of it's time!

FB- Doug

Looks like a Herreshoff Rater :-)

3 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Looks like a Herreshoff Rater :-)

I think those had a better bulb keel....

FB- Doug

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

The thing had a gennaker. I wanted to add a retractable pole option that would fit inside an optional bolt on housing that would go on the deck. 
I built a mold and one housing and an almost triangular  pole because I thought it would take the forces better than any other shape . ( Almost because the corners were rounded )

The pole was made out of three six inch by eight foot flat plates. I fastened them together and then mounted them on a big rack we used to hold 500 pound rolls of floor covering paper. I had a helper roll the triangle over and over while I wound resin soaked chopper gun roving around like a big ball for string. 
The  entire tube weighed about ten pounds and looked so damned ugly it was pretty. 

unfortunately, we never built a boat to try it out.

why?? The boats we built were just plain ugly inside and no dealer wanted one. 
I wanted to build myself a lightweight cored version with no interior and two or three trapezes but I was a college kid paying his own way through school and by the time I had the money, MFG had sold the sailboat division