6 hours ago, silent bob said:

Bitchen’ Camaros banned in California and Washington.  Not because of too much horsepower, or too loud!  Banned because the brake pads contain too much copper.  you can’t make this shit up!

https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-you-cant-buy-a-camaro-ss-or-zl1-in-california-1845833877

Since Prop 65 came out in 1986, everything is toxic in CA. 

Tree Hugger Stock Photo - Download Image Now - iStock

Other stupid California product bans that pissed me off ...

1. Kangaroo skin soccer shoes. I pick up a new pair of Puma Kings when I have a layover somewhere on a business trip somewhere less worried about skinning skippy. All soccer shoes here are made of plastic and have the aspect ratio of a pencil. I'm not sure whose feet fit into them - not mine, for sure.

2. Denatured alcohol (methylated spirits, for the non-americans) in hardware stores to thin shellac.. But you can still buy it in camping stores as fuel because otherwise the homeless steal stopsigns and burn trash to warm their dumpster dinners. So, both kinds of french polishing are illegal here now.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, silent bob said:

Bitchen’ Camaros banned in California and Washington.  Not because of too much horsepower, or too loud!  Banned because the brake pads contain too much copper.  you can’t make this shit up!

https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-you-cant-buy-a-camaro-ss-or-zl1-in-california-1845833877

Are they allowed if you drive them over from the Bahamas?

• Downvote 1

Here in WA numerous boat yards were sued over copper emissions, even ones that had filtering systems already in place. Many went bankrupt, but it was determined that most of the copper was coming from brake pads and other non-marine sources, but that didn't stop them. So maybe stopping that source of pollution would help the boatyard industry. Too late here damage is done, but cars are still dumping the same amount of copper in Puget Sound. 

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Except the air.

image.png.c47f4bf5bb2b45588110ecb7e2fb577a.pngimage.png.ff361a084ee17279582029b37b9da8dc.png

And yet with all the regulation Los Angels still has the worse air in the US.  Where is all the money the CARB collects in the way of fees, taxes, and such going?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_pollution_in_the_United_States

I agree it would be worse if Richard Nixon didn't eneact that pesky EPA thingy.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Except the air.

image.png.c47f4bf5bb2b45588110ecb7e2fb577a.pngimage.png.ff361a084ee17279582029b37b9da8dc.png

the filter system used for the difference is

human Lungs

that's why they import millions of shallow pool end masses everyday

Ya they Die but are written off as Covid-19 and the Money pourz in

44 minutes ago, Locus said:

Here in WA numerous boat yards were sued over copper emissions, even ones that had filtering systems already in place. Many went bankrupt, but it was determined that most of the copper was coming from brake pads and other non-marine sources, but that didn't stop them. So maybe stopping that source of pollution would help the boatyard industry. Too late here damage is done, but cars are still dumping the same amount of copper in Puget Sound. 

I know of a person who shall not be named that owns a marine that has been in her family for over a century.  She has gotten on in years and will likely die with it in her ownership.  The problem is, it likely cannot be sold because of the pollution on the site due to the bottom paint, lead, etc.  So when she dies, and the tax hits, and the marina can't be sold because of the pollution, and it can't be remediated because of money it would take......

It's a shitty situation.

Cause copper pollution in road runoff is good?

Why can't Chevy use other brake-pads in that POS? Maybe they aren't interested because Chevy sells about 5 non-pickups in California each year?

Latest study is some standard chemical in tires is responsible for killing up to 50% of the remaining salmon in the NW. Are you going to bitch about the likely ban of said poison?

30 minutes ago, Bcubed said:

This ban has been on the books since 2010. Someone over at GM dropped the ball.

From the article:

"Given that the laws in California and Washington were signed a decade ago, you’d think GM would have had enough time to prepare for this eventuality. In any case, things didn’t end up that way"

2 hours ago, nacradriver said:

And yet with all the regulation Los Angels still has the worse air in the US. 

Not that anyone should be surprised but that is Bullshit.

You can look it up.

3 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

Other stupid California product bans that pissed me off ...

1. Kangaroo skin soccer shoes. I pick up a new pair of Puma Kings when I have a layover somewhere on a business trip somewhere less worried about skinning skippy. All soccer shoes here are made of plastic and have the aspect ratio of a pencil. I'm not sure whose feet fit into them - not mine, for sure.

2. Denatured alcohol (methylated spirits, for the non-americans) in hardware stores to thin shellac.. But you can still buy it in camping stores as fuel because otherwise the homeless steal stopsigns and burn trash to warm their dumpster dinners. So, both kinds of french polishing are illegal here now.

??? Just bought alcohol and MEK from my CA Home Depot paint department. 

2 hours ago, bmiller said:

Prop 65 had nothing to do with cleaning up the smog.

Not my point.

All the bitching here about environmental regs is exactly the same sort of whining that went on more than 50 years ago when simply breathing in SoCal was life threatening.

Nitpicking over trivialities.

We are constantly shitting where we eat and picking on some reg or other in some environment or other because it affects someones pet hobby is just more "Fuck you, I got (or want) mine".

"I can't clean my spray gun in my backyard"

"I can't use my BBQ in my backyard"

"Why should I have to give up asbestos in my own home"

"Why can't I dump battery acid and engine oil in the lane to kill the weeds"

Everyone is inconvenienced in some way by these regs

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, bmiller said:

OK, I looked it up. He was pretty close to accurate.

https://www.stateoftheair.org/city-rankings/most-polluted-cities.html

stick 20 million people into a natural inversion basin. Kinda makes sense it would have implications, no?
Flip side of the "But it still has shitty air!" argument is how bad it would be WITHOUT the controls.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Not that anyone should be surprised but that is Bullshit.

You can look it up.

https://www.webmd.com/asthma/ss/slideshow-worst-smog-cities

https://www.stateoftheair.org/city-rankings/most-polluted-cities.html

Here just not LA but all of California

https://molekule.science/the-top-seven-u-s-states-with-the-worst-air-quality/

Yes, did Richard Nixon's EPA make it cleaner, you have no argument from me. 

52 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

stick 20 million people into a natural inversion basin. Kinda makes sense it would have implications, no?
Flip side of the "But it still has shitty air!" argument is how bad it would be WITHOUT the controls. 

How many millions billions are being sent the CARB to fix it, along with the California EPA draconian regulations along with thier fees and taxes, and what have we got show for it?  One would think with the drum they beat and the money they take in it would be better..  Government good - private sector bad... yeah right

BTW, where has your sock been?

This will be worked out, there is money to be made. I love fast cars, I'm looking around for my 65 SS Malibu, 4 speed 12 bolt convertible. Oh man, that car had a build sheet you would not believe, under the rear seat. All columns were filled.....