1984 Catalina 30 Smile On the Keel?

A mild case . Nothing that matters. 

while your mast is down, take advantage of the access. Remove the mast step and seal it ... 

also.., fill up the center with caulk so water will run out the side.

• Like 1

There was (I had hull #91) a wood shim between the lead keel and the hull stump.  Keel works port and stand or possibly a mild grounding and water begins to seep in through that keel/wood/hull seam.  Wood rots.  Crack gets worse.  

On mine I ground out all of the wood I could reach.  Filled with epoxy/filler.  Then tightened keel bolts evenly.  First soft grounding, the crack returned.  

Short of removing the keel, replacing the wood with something that won’t rot, reattaching with 5200, the smile always returns.

—Kevin

You bought a Catalina, not a Swan. No big deal really. They are better than lesser types of production Bunters and the ilk. The lead is stiffer than the boat/stub so there's is not much you can do about it. I would clean it up the best you can and redo it every few years. Structural fillers and epoxies just make it harder on the redo. I would suggest just clean it up with Life Calk or? Older C&C's have the C&C smile too. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

You bought a Catalina, not a Swan. No big deal really. 

So I did buy a swan and happens to us too.  What you are looking at is upwards where the keel meets the hull.  Factory reports this is normal and should be fixed when the bottom paint is re applied. 

IMG_8673.jpg

IMG_8674.jpg

IMG_8675.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I reckon the smile you have is pretty normal and just needs some torquing of the stud nuts every now and then to make sure the studs aren't corroding.

Also important though, is the siphon break for the engine exhaust cooling water.  One of the most overlooked and minor servicing parts of a Catalina 30. Yet, responsible for drowning so many engines!

• Like 1
On 2/3/2021 at 6:30 PM, dew said:

Will say you need to replace the cutlass bearing also. You know just to be on the safe side.

Is this a joke? That thing looks really hard to replace. There were no leaks from what I can tell.

On 2/3/2021 at 10:06 PM, Hitchhiker said:

I reckon the smile you have is pretty normal and just needs some torquing of the stud nuts every now and then to make sure the studs aren't corroding.

Also important though, is the siphon break for the engine exhaust cooling water.  One of the most overlooked and minor servicing parts of a Catalina 30. Yet, responsible for drowning so many engines!

This shouldn't be an issue for me as the engine I have in there has a heat exchanger and is fresh water cooled.

Its a yanmar 2GM20F

22 hours ago, retroSail said:

Is this a joke? That thing looks really hard to replace. There were no leaks from what I can tell.

Just pull the shaft from side to side. If the flutes in the cutlass bearing (rubber strut bearing) remain in contact with the shaft and the shaft doesn’t rattle around, you are fine. If it’s badly worn, there are a couple of ways to replace it and most yards will have a tool that will press out the old one and press in the new one with the shaft in place for couple of hours of labor.  

Worn cutlass bearing is a fairly common survey finding but it’s not a big deal to have changed. 

On 2/6/2021 at 6:40 AM, Innocent Bystander said:

Just pull the shaft from side to side. If the flutes in the cutlass bearing (rubber strut bearing) remain in contact with the shaft and the shaft doesn’t rattle around, you are fine. If it’s badly worn, there are a couple of ways to replace it and most yards will have a tool that will press out the old one and press in the new one with the shaft in place for couple of hours of labor.  

Worn cutlass bearing is a fairly common survey finding but it’s not a big deal to have changed. 

Oh yea the inspector checked that part and said it was fine. There is no play in the shaft like what you are saying. He did however point out that I should replace a couple zincs and to clean a prime the zinc shaft which I'm in the process of doing. Thanks for the tip though cheers.

1 hour ago, retroSail said:

Oh yea the inspector checked that part and said it was fine. There is no play in the shaft like what you are saying. He did however point out that I should replace a couple zincs and to clean a prime the zinc shaft which I'm in the process of doing. Thanks for the tip though cheers.

If the cutlass bearing is fine - great. But there is no "fudging" there. if there is just a little play at all it's already on its way out. Might be okay for the season but it won't get better so be prepared to change it out next season for haul out. Can't remember with Catalina's whether there are two barrel nuts on the strut and it may have been painted over the years but most have them. Like someone said a yard or a mechanic has a half round device to punch the old one out. You'll likely have to pull prop too but shouldn't be a biggie.   

retro..good luck. Get the headboard under the sail cover, or you will rip the sail in two 12" from the top and have to go retrieve the headboard. Boat looks in reasonably good shape for an '84. 

I own #511 and keep working on her while I sail her. I have been lucky and not had to do the wood keel sump grind out yet, have a small smile I've filled & faired, but probably will do it the next time the mast is down and replace the mast blocks under the compression post in the bilge which tend to get water logged and rot. Keep the bilge 100% dry if you can. 

The comment about the anti-siphon is still an issue, even with FWC. The siphon break is in the galley cabinet next to the inboard sink. That raw water gets pumped into the mixer at the back of the manifold and into the muffler..sea water can work its way into the manifold if the siphon break doesn't work properly. Just replace it (i got a forespar marelon) and make sure it is mounted as high as possible.

• Like 1

I believe this is the anti-siphon.  This is coming off the exhaust manifold of the engine then going down to a wet exhaust container (little yellow/orange) that then leads to the stern of the boat.

IMG_2884.JPG

IMG_2885.JPG

19 hours ago, retroSail said:

I believe this is the anti-siphon.  This is coming off the exhaust manifold of the engine then going down to a wet exhaust container (little yellow/orange) that then leads to the stern of the boat.

IMG_2884.JPG

IMG_2885.JPG

That is the mixing elbow, it mixes exhaust gasses with water from the cooling system so the exhaust gasses don't melt the exhaust hose and water lift muffler

• Like 2

I have a '93 320 (hull #6). It had a noticeable "smile" when I purchased it. The surveyor said to torque the keelbolts when the boat was next on the hard. I did and the "smile" disappeared......it may be worth a try.

• Like 1
On 2/12/2021 at 9:21 AM, Slick470 said:

That is the mixing elbow, it mixes exhaust gasses with water from the cooling system so the exhaust gasses don't melt the exhaust hose and water lift muffler

What slick said...the anti-siphon should be above this in the water injection line. Follow the water hose back a couple feet from where it injects into that riser.