Yet another sailboat rescue off Cape Hatteras

4 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

https://www.facebook.com/uscgstationhatterasinlet/

More engine trouble on a sailboat with seemingly intact sails.

The biggest question to me is how any sailing vessel could find itself 6 miles off Cape Point at midnight!  That would be like the worst nightmare to wake up from - a dream in which incompetence and terrible fate have put you in one of the worst places in the world for a sailboat.  

As surfing teenagers, we would drive out to the tip of Cape Point to watch what we called the "piss-ups."  Tortuous waves colliding with each other from either side of the Cape.

The meter on the Diamond Shoals Light is pretty far offshore in comparison, but it showed west to NW to north winds the past two days ranging from 10-30 knots. The sea conditions directly off Cape Hatteras can be really rough with clashing currents. As IR notes, you can see the clashing waves for miles offshore from Cape Point. 6 miles is pretty darn close for that piece of ocean. From the comments on the FB post. Long effort, perhaps starting around midnight and ending around sunset.

Nice work- Heard it all over the VHF from the Lady J, a few miles away, it was a washing machine kind of night!

•  
1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:

As surfing teenagers, we would drive out to the tip of Cape Point to watch what we called the "piss-ups."  Tortuous waves colliding with each other from either side of the Cape.

We called them torpedoes, because of the way the water sprayed up like in the old navy movies

• Like 1

That's stupid as hell. Even if you're navigating from a seafood restaurant place mat, you should be further off shore. Maybe we need some kind of "red flag" law for dangerously incompetent boat owners

I think the closest I've ever been to the actual Cape is about 25 miles. And that was on a really nice day

FB- Doug

• Like 1

I lack any local knowledge, but assuming the wind was setting them offshore into deeper water and presumably less risk, on an apparently competent and able boat if under sail regardless of engine, I don't see why they had to roust the Hatteras Inlet Station, instead of waiting til daylight and just sail?  And then if you need a tow, there must be some Sea-Tow types happy for the work, and the fee?    

I know, armchair admiral here, but as retired Coast Guard (desk-driver and marine inspector, so not a rescuer, but anyway), it seems they're getting called out for a tow rather than a "rescue" here.  

All it takes to get into that kind of trouble is money. And that's all these New Age types bring to the table.

Edit from FB: " ... sailing vessel “Island Hopper” who reported water in their fuel leading to engine failure."

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, nolatom said:

I lack any local knowledge, but assuming the wind was setting them offshore into deeper water and presumably less risk, on an apparently competent and able boat if under sail regardless of engine, I don't see why they had to roust the Hatteras Inlet Station, instead of waiting til daylight and just sail?  And then if you need a tow, there must be some Sea-Tow types happy for the work, and the fee?    

I know, armchair admiral here, but as retired Coast Guard (desk-driver and marine inspector, so not a rescuer, but anyway), it seems they're getting called out for a tow rather than a "rescue" here.  

Us old fogeys usually didn't have these kinds of problems, so we're entitled to kvetch, right  ;)

It sounds to me like these people (and many others) are really eager to follow the example of that 'Morning Glory' Darwin Awardee who hit the Charleston jetty.

FB- Doug

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

That's stupid as hell. Even if you're navigating from a seafood restaurant place mat, you should be further off shore. Maybe we need some kind of "red flag" law for dangerously incompetent boat owners

:lol: well put. 

SA needs to do some Youtube or podcast interviews with crews like these.  Done in a Sasha Baron Cohen or Howard Stern style.

• Like 2

And they got the boat back. This is not the last we'll hear of Island Hopper.

Think I've told this story previously but the short version is that I saved two guys and a sinking boat ... by giving them a screwdriver. I dropped it off while sailing by. Did I mention FL? 

Just wait till they try to get back out Hatteras Inlet on their own. But maybe they will bail to the ICW, assuming they were headed south.

that looks like the same boat from the other thread

You called it Bump! I flipped the second one around to same orientation as the first.

So they headed back out from Oregon Inlet only to request a second rescue, this time into Hatteras inlet. Maybe next they can get rescued into Ocracoke Inlet!

Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 6.44.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 6.47.16 PM.png

Just now, TheDragon said:

You called it Bump! I flipped the second one around to same orientation as the first.

So they headed back out from Oregon Inlet only to request a second rescue, this time into Hatteras inlet. Maybe next they can get rescued into Ocracoke Inlet!

Tell me that isn't true!

they should park it and go home

• Like 1

This smells of Rimas I tells ye.

On edit: IH: the screwdriver tightened a water hose on a seacock.  For want of a nail ...

SJB: I'm talking 5 gal bucket

OP: The boat I mentioned earlier, E35 quickly sold out of Norfolk, was named Windhorse. 

All’s well that ends well. I’d no want to try any inlet the that grave yard with out power. Good call. Easy tow for the coasties now. Avoiding a Bad situation later!

But wait WTF, Darwin’s pitching, 2 strikes on a Jonah boat. Batter Up!

Im guessing there’s more to come...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DRIFTW00D said:

All’s well that ends well. I’d no want to try any inlet the that grave yard with out power. Good call. Easy tow for the coasties now. Avoiding a Bad situation later!

But wait WTF, Darwin’s pitching, 2 strikes on a Jonah boat. Batter Up!

Im guessing there’s more to come...

Yeah, but WTF causes a sane sailor to be 6 miles from the worst piece of waterfront on the East Coast at midnight in December?  That's the question I want to see them answer on Youtube....

Probably thought they had a nice wind window of W to NE wind. Hope they don't try again this week, weather out there is going to be rough for a week. Best stick to the ICW.

49 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Probably thought they had a nice wind window of W to NE wind. Hope they don't try again this week, weather out there is going to be rough for a week. Best stick to the ICW.

Lotta folks take the ICW to Beaufort Inlet to avoid Hatteras. And reverse. Can you imagine thinking you can just run the beach all the way south? Who needs a chart? Keep the beach on yer right.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:
2 hours ago, TheDragon said:

Lotta folks take the ICW to Beaufort Inlet to avoid Hatteras. And reverse. Can you imagine thinking you can just run the beach all the way south? Who needs a chart? Keep the beach on yer right.

To get from Hattaras Town (on the Sound side) to the ICW is not always pleasant, and never easy. The NC ICW includes some crappy spots even you actually follow a sane route. I bet the people could have fucked up the mouth of the Alligator River, for example.

FB- Doug

The Mainsail looks typical for this type of clorox bottle ......ancient dacron crap...and the built in excuse was already prepared...water in the fuel...they will blame wherever they filled up....ever change your filters?  Too cheap to toss it on a truck for a direct delivery to the southern destination port.  Then they could motor around wherever they want !  Bet it would just be a dock queen upon arrival anyway!  Kind of reminds me of a short discussion with a very well educated (Scientist) that tried to convince me that a well trimmed Genoa was faster than a Spinnaker downwind. You would not believe where this short discussion took place and who this Genius was.... and NO boats left in the water to grow a barnacle field on their bottoms and related gear are not faster then dry sailed perfection!  When I had a 5knt shitbox at least the sails were new and the bottom was perfect. Regular motor and filter maintenance would have prevented any need to call the CG....however the circumstances expose the Capt of this vessel to be very inexperienced and or plain stupid, which we all know you can't fix. 

8 hours ago, DRIFTW00D said:

Now that’s funny. But the currents south, north of Hatteras. Guess it’s Kinda like the finger Mullet schools moving along the beach.. And the Coasties keep netting them...

At Cape Lookout and Cape Fear (both awesome names IMHO) there is a ~6ft channel following the beach. There may be similar at Cape Hattaras, similar hydrology on all three. Without pretty solid local knowledge though, it would be an idiotic stunt to try and feel your way thru.

All these sandy capes have irregular, shifting shoals spread out. A spot that is deep one year might show dry at low tide a few years later.

FB- Doug

36 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

All these sandy capes have irregular, shifting shoals spread out. A spot that is deep one year might show dry at low tide a few years later.

The Hatterask Incident is a pleasant read. Some drama but good stuff on the hydrology of the area.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

The Hatterask Incident is a pleasant read. Some drama but good stuff on the hydrology of the area.

Hatterask Incident , link please. I gave up using late summer rentals in Frisco,NC as we were kept out by Hurricanes too often.  I will try again. 

43 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Which cost Blackbeard his head at Ocracoke some 300 years ago. As you said, the sound sides of these inlets can be as treacherous as the ocean sides.

Ted Turner in his autobiography admits that he picked up a leased racing boat (who was the sucker who leased that boat?) on the ICW and promptly headed into Pamlico Sound at night with no charts (he called it "the Pimlico"). Sure enough, winds picked up and they spent the night pounding the keel on a shoal. After that some of the crew tried to abandon ship in Beaufort.

7 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Which cost Blackbeard his head at Ocracoke some 300 years ago. As you said, the sound sides of these inlets can be as treacherous as the ocean sides.

Yeah. My  earlier comment wasn't to suggest cutting across from Hatteras to the ICW but rather come down the ICW from Norfolk area.

Book is an easy find on the net. As always, I'd prefer to read it but if you are a sensitive New Age guy, it's crammed into 14 min on YouTube.

33 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Ted Turner in his autobiography admits that he picked up a leased racing boat (who was the sucker who leased that boat?) on the ICW and promptly headed into Pamlico Sound at night with no charts (he called it "the Pimlico"). Sure enough, winds picked up and they spent the night pounding the keel on a shoal. After that some of the crew tried to abandon ship in Beaufort.

Some years ago I had a conversation with a delivery skipper who lost a boat at Hattaras Inlet. He was angry that the shoals and the inlet was not better charted and marked. He also did not read the pilot book. I tried to be diplomatic about telling him he should do more homework. The problem is not so much shoals, although moving shoals present great difficulty, but that the current accelerates as it goes over them so it literally shoots you onto the bar if you are not anticipating this. The tide rise and fall isn't much, but the current is tremendous because of the large volume of water going in & out of these inlets. Pamlico Sound is very big even it's mostly kinda thin.

Blackbeard would probably have lost that fight anyway, although maybe he'd have made a better showing if he hadn't been stuck aground. He was badly outnumbered and outgunned. Local boy goes down in flames! While we're talking about reading material, I recommend Kevin Duffus' "Last Days Of Blackbeard The Pirate" which includes a lot of original research and unfortunately tears up a lot of myths. But it's a great close-up look at a romantic adventure of history.

- DSK

7 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

NOw I am trying to remember the Worrel 1000...didn;t they go by hatteras? Smythe in his planing cat with a flying jib?

Yes the Worrell 1000 does go past Hatteras. Smythe didn't make it nearly that far the year he had the planing cat. Dismasted on the first leg down in Florida and by the time his ground crew sorted out, the missed the start of the second leg the next morning and was disqualified by the Race Committee. Randy was not very happy about that...

52 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Yes the Worrell 1000 does go past Hatteras. Smythe didn't make it nearly that far the year he had the planing cat. Dismasted on the first leg down in Florida and by the time his ground crew sorted out, the missed the start of the second leg the next morning and was disqualified by the Race Committee. Randy was not very happy about that...

I forgot a bout that! Did he reace a Hobie 18 or something the year he did well
?

29 minutes ago, carcrash said:

The year he did well? He holds the elapsed time records for every leg, pretty much dominated the post H16 events

It's been a long time...

I met him beginning of last year. That was a thrill--totally unexpected. "Hey--what are these things in the paint shop? They look like banana foils" So I snooped around and saw a catamaran. He was preparing a new hydrofoil catamaran he was involved in developing. Went to somewhere in the Bahamas. 53 feet or so. Haven't heard about it since.

I've kited across Hatteras inlet many times on both sound and ocean sides. I would be hard pressed to take my sailboat through there, currents, shoals, standing waves, yikes! Great fun on a kiteboard though.

Fast, those were probably for the Eagle 53 cat that Randy was involved with, especially the rig. Very innovative boat. The planing cat of Randy's that I mentioned earlier is probably the only time he didn't ace the Worrell 1000. He is pretty much the Chuck Norris of cat sailing...

• Like 3

I did the Worrell in 98, Randy was on a Nacra 6.0. That year the Leg from Wrightsville Beach to Hatteras started in 10 to 15 knot with all of us flying spinnakers. But by mid day it Was well close to 30  35 knots from the south and the biggest seas Ive experienced on a 20 ft catamaran. I remember it well because we got knocked down about 5 times and only then did we realize we should possibly take the spinnaker down. 3 boats lost there masts on that leg .One of which was rescued by the Coast Guard. The Next days leg around Hatteras to Kill Devil Hills was a piece of cake. We all hugged the shore right off the beach at the point and a Guy that was fishing was arrested by the Park service for trying to catch a catamaran with his fishing pole, It Made the newspaper Headlines.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2020 at 10:56 PM, Rasputin22 said:

Fast, those were probably for the Eagle 53 cat that Randy was involved with, especially the rig. Very innovative boat. The planing cat of Randy's that I mentioned earlier is probably the only time he didn't ace the Worrell 1000. He is pretty much the Chuck Norris of cat sailing...

The eagle 53 was in Beaufort not long ago.  I missed it but some friends caught a glimpse.

5 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Definitely a strange future becoming present

At 27 miles offshore, they are likely not to be seen to from shore.

It will be interesting to see what is left after the first cat 4/5 hurricane scores a direct hit.

Back to thread..

Hope they were no idiots in their boats out there last night.

We had a gale going on from mid afternoon.

By 1 this morning it was blowing 35 knots constant and a 10 minute hit of 50 knots.

Also tornado warnings in the local counties with 2 touching down just across border.

Any fool out there in a boat would have been in deep do-do.

40 minutes ago, Foreverslow said:

It will be interesting to see what is left after the first cat 4/5 hurricane scores a direct hit.

Back to thread..

Hope they were no idiots in their boats out there last night.

We had a gale going on from mid afternoon.

By 1 this morning it was blowing 35 knots constant and a 10 minute hit of 50 knots.

Also tornado warnings in the local counties with 2 touching down just across border.

Any fool out there in a boat would have been in deep do-do.

Last night was what my old man used to call a "whistling bitch"

Now the wind's swung west and it's cold as Hell

30 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Last night was what my old man used to call a "whistling bitch"

Now the wind's swung west and it's cold as Hell

Still nearly or even better than 60f here in Conn. But your weather is headed our way. Woke up with the electricity on. Filled the bathtub jut in case.

image.png.618b5db3be75a370ecf2861be1866b2e.png

Actual Wind came nowhere near the 52 knots they were predicting. They are still forecasting  "Temperature falling to around 47 by 5pm. Breezy, with a south wind 14 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph. " Somehow I don't think that is happening...but rain is coming it looks like

image.png.ce878aa0a509f26090c44b9b9a57b0e4.png

3 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

The  visible horizon is about 13 miles out at sea level. At twice the distance I’ll bet you’re right. 
Still gonna be a lot of dead birds out there...:ph34r:

The wind has let up in NJ and the wind has not yet shifted west. 54 now at 11:30am and it will be 37 in 4 hours so I’m sucking it up at the club and no one is here to bother me!

There’s my little red circle of existence west of the wind and the club burgee and river are gently moving in 8 knots.

D7E434E1-639A-4A47-92B6-887C16696B13.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

We’re looking at 19 here tonight. I winterized the Catalina a few days ago and “temporarily” moved to by brother’s home at his insistence until warmer nights return. It’s a nice old waterfront 3 story Victorian and I have the top floor to myself. I am blessed. 

4 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

We are going to have a low of 23 down here in NC tonight. I made the rare preparations of winterizing engine and all hoses AND turned on bilge heater. But water temps are warm enough that we ought to be okay.

I had a small cast iron plate on my old YSE12 crack one very rare cold spell here. Lesson learned.

41 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:
5 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

We are going to have a low of 23 down here in NC tonight. I made the rare preparations of winterizing engine and all hoses AND turned on bilge heater. But water temps are warm enough that we ought to be okay.

I had a small cast iron plate on my old YSE12 crack one very rare cold spell here. Lesson learned.

Had a water hose freeze one time during a prolonged (week) hard freeze, years ago; I've never winterized but I have put a heat lamp on the engine block a few times. As said above, the water temp here is still around 50F and it was bright & sunny today.

The wind measurements are erratic and unreliable IMHO, our creek does not look that rough today but we've had branches blown down and while I was out on our dock I felt a couple of gusts that were notably colder than the ambient air and at least double the measured wind. Small pockets of violent gusts from random directions... even if one hits an anemometer directly it will pass before the thing spools up.

Now for something hot to drink!

Hope you have all had a good Christmas Day!

FB- Doug

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, TheDragon said:

This is one of those things that make me think, "How drunk did you have to get before you thought THIS was a good idea?"

That whole area is a good one for not stupidly fucking around. Plenty of misery to be found along that stretch of water.

FB- Doug