Jump to content

coastal blue water boat recommendation


Recommended Posts

This might have been covered before? looking to buy another cruiser in about a year or two and looking for a brand and size to focus on. sloop, 40-50 foot range, $100K US, only need one head, location will be southern west coast cruising with maybe a run to Hawaii and back? no TIP problems for Mexico (my last boat was not canceled and a pain to deal with) thank you

Link to post
Share on other sites

Might be better if you surf Yachtworld a bit and ask opinions of those boats. No idea if you want an old racer, or a full keel cruiser. The default for what you list would be a bene/catalina of the appropriate vintage.  The bigger you go, the older you'll go for your budget, which means more projects

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Raz'r said:

Might be better if you surf Yachtworld a bit and ask opinions of those boats. No idea if you want an old racer, or a full keel cruiser. The default for what you list would be a bene/catalina of the appropriate vintage.  The bigger you go, the older you'll go for your budget, which means more projects

Yes I just sold my bene 390 and looking to upgrade to a stronger boat. I do look at yacht world and am familiar with the major brands. I will search SA for older posts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just musing, reflecting on my own choices in this context.

Droll contradictio in terminis; coastal blue water boat.

Rather different beasts will suit each purpose best.

Quintessentially a quest to find an oxymoron.

 

In the longish, heavy, yet gently swift brigade myself. Blue water sailing has repeatedly provided me the very best experience. And test of character.

Coastal cruising is what most of us do, lacking either the time, resource and/or courage to go out on the deep blue sea, but I' d consider taking the above as the name for such a boat if I were to find it for myself. Just to remind me of my philosophical state of mind each time.

I won't look for such a boat because in my perception coastal waters extend offshore up to the point where I envision fatigue and / or hypothermia will bar me from reaching a shoreline swimming.

For many of us mere mortals that is a few hundred metres at best. 

In the calmest of weathers.

 

Again, just musing on a lazy Saturday morning.

I'll let myself out, please do carry on with serious recommendations

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Benytoe said:

This might have been covered before? looking to buy another cruiser in about a year or two and looking for a brand and size to focus on. sloop, 40-50 foot range, $100K US, only need one head, location will be southern west coast cruising with maybe a run to Hawaii and back? no TIP problems for Mexico (my last boat was not canceled and a pain to deal with) thank you

Older, refitted Santa Cruz 50.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Plenty of folks have done what you’re proposing in boats like your old 390. Can you be more specific about why you sold?  No half decent boat is too weak for that itinerary assuming you’re sane about weather windows. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, socalrider said:

Plenty of folks have done what you’re proposing in boats like your old 390. Can you be more specific about why you sold?  No half decent boat is too weak for that itinerary assuming you’re sane about weather windows. 

I sold it because I really needed the money to pay a lot of bills, with what is going on I wish I still had it. Im at the point in my life that I need to do it now while I am healthy enough to be able to sail. I did the last transpac and want to be out there again.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, El Borracho said:

Long, light and fast. The slog up the West Coast is not especially fun in any boat. Might as well have fun on the way south. Why slog bot ways?

If I head down I will stay there

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2020 at 2:21 PM, Benytoe said:

This might have been covered before? looking to buy another cruiser in about a year or two and looking for a brand and size to focus on. sloop, 40-50 foot range, $100K US, only need one head, location will be southern west coast cruising with maybe a run to Hawaii and back? no TIP problems for Mexico (my last boat was not canceled and a pain to deal with) thank you

When sailing,  a coastal boat is either upwind or downwind ...a narrow , slippery boat,   is called for 

Reaching  is blue water ...fat boats win

coastal boats need a big engine and propellor for port maneuvering,  fighting tidal stream and bashing thru waves 

coastal boats need a well thought out tender store,  launch routine 

Coastal boats need inboard shrouds that aren’t vulnerable to docking damage 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, slug zitski said:

When sailing,  a coastal boat is either upwind or downwind ...a narrow , slippery boat,   is called for 

Reaching  is blue water ...fat boats win

coastal boats need a big engine and propellor for port maneuvering,  fighting tidal stream and bashing thru waves 

coastal boats need a well thought out tender store,  launch routine 

Coastal boats need inboard shrouds that aren’t vulnerable to docking damage 

 

I'd love to see additional comments like this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, olaf hart said:

 I seen that one as well. If it was 3 years from now that would be near the top of our list. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kolibri said:

Looks like that Norseman 447 is getting some hype on YotLot.

 

https://yotlot.com/a-1981-norseman-447/

Fine boat, but it's a pity that the hype strays into nonsense like this:  "the rudder on a large skeg makes the helm light and extremely well balanced".

AFAICS, that rudder is wholly unbalanced.  There are good reasons to like a skeg, but the more skeg you have, the less balance you get.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Fine boat, but it's a pity that the hype strays into nonsense like this:  "the rudder on a large skeg makes the helm light and extremely well balanced".

AFAICS, that rudder is wholly unbalanced.  There are good reasons to like a skeg, but the more skeg you have, the less balance you get.

 

Yeah......YotLot is prone to being overly verbose. Odds are they have a few aspiring Hemingways in their crew. That's ok...I just visit their site for the boat porn. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

“she welcomes those aboard with a warm, rich interior glow,” reads the listing.

Must've been cut and pasted out of r/menwritingwomen

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2020 at 11:59 PM, olaf hart said:

It's all original gear.  Everything will need to be replaced.  Sails, rigging, engine, instruments.... Double the price to be ready to go.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...