Bird Repellers

What kind of birds are you dealing with.  If it's crows, you could shoot a couple of them.  Crows are damn smart and learn real quick where to avoid if they want to live.  

I'm only half serious.  I don't support shooting animals for sport or fun, but it would probably work.  

I had problems with ducks in my pool so I rigged an osprey kite (google Jackite) on a line crossing the pool.  The line allowed the kite to float up and down and flap its wings a bit.  The ducks vanished instantly and have never been back.  I'm told this works for seagulls too, might be worth a try.

16 hours ago, Winston29 said:

What kind of birds are you dealing with.  If it's crows, you could shoot a couple of them.  Crows are damn smart and learn real quick where to avoid if they want to live.

Dead crows hanging upside down have been used as scarecrows for centuries.  Fake crows and seagulls are available:

81KFGHFh6pL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Dead_Seagull_Pic_3__20695.1601340939.1280.1280.jpg

I read about these magnetic bird repellers:

https://www.maintracgroup.com/collections/magnetic-repellers/products/bye-bye-birdie-dual

and decided to try and make my own on a whim.

I drilled some holes in a block of delrin I had laying around and put some neodymium magnets in it at various angles. I read somewhere that magnetic flux density was more important than absolute strength so I used long, thin magnets (~20mm x 2mm). I sealed up the holes with melted delrin and have had it hanging just below my radar reflector for the last few years. I set it up so it can easily rotate in the breeze.

I've noticed that I don't have birds nesting on my spreaders anymore and I don't suffer from purple bird shit on deck during blackberry season anymore but there's no parallel control to my experiment so it's hard to say if it really works. However, it doesn't seem to do any harm so I keep it up there.

On 12/13/2020 at 6:19 PM, Ishmael said:

The local condo blocks on the ocean have gone to flying eagle scarecrows, they seem to work to keep the gulls off the roofs.

Some variant like this might work...

Eagle_on_pole.jpg

https://www.ureaduck.com/Eagle_decoy_assault.html

what if you are in an area where there are no eagles, will the gulls recognize them?

I think most bird deterrents work for a while and then don't any more.

when I worked at Pfizer, they had this great outdoor seating area for the cafeteria except being closed to the Thames River it was always inundated with gulls. Pfizer's solution? They put these loudspeakers on the building that intermittently emitted what was supposedly the sound of a gull being torn apart by a hawk. It worked for a couple weeks.. and then you could see gulls just peering into the speakers in curiosity before swooping down for your sandwich.

The sound upset more than a few scientists though...

• Like 1

Bird types related to keeping them off a boat can only land in an area equal in width or larger in width than their wingspan. As most seagulls have a wingspan of 2-3 feet, I have had success with running small diameter rope elevated a few feet above where they would be landing to prevent them from landing. As for spreaders, a small line suspended a few inches above it works well between the rigging and inboard end of the spreader. 

On 12/12/2020 at 5:35 PM, V21 said:

I've seen plastic owls, rubber snakes, CD's dangling off a string.

What actually works, cleaning up bird shit is an overrated pastime.

Each day lay a handful of sardines on the deck of your neighbors boat... three berths over 

train the gulls to sit and poop on your neighbors boat 

if this neighbor gets frustrated and sells his poop covered  boat,  choose a new gull host 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2020 at 11:39 AM, toad said:

Its not easy, they get into a habit, best to move the boat for a while. Must be some kind of auto bird scarer you can run for a week or two.

https://birdcontrolaustralia.com.au/product-category/marine-and-boat-bird-deterrent/

Audible bird deterrents (recorded bird alarm calls)  are not allowed in  my marina. They are extremely irritating for humans too.

On 12/15/2020 at 7:03 AM, RImike said:

Bird types related to keeping them off a boat can only land in an area equal in width or larger in width than their wingspan. As most seagulls have a wingspan of 2-3 feet, I have had success with running small diameter rope elevated a few feet above where they would be landing to prevent them from landing. As for spreaders, a small line suspended a few inches above it works well between the rigging and inboard end of the spreader. 

I've tried 'em all and the only thing I've found that works is stringing a line  4-8" above where they like to perch.  Run it between the mounting posts of your masthead equipment.  Best stuff is Gore Tex dental floss (Polytetrafluorethylene floss (PTFE))); UV proof, low windage,  hard for the birds to see so it startles them & too thin to perch on.  It's slippery so put a dab of glue on the knots so they don't untie.  Mine's been up there for ten years.