Honda 2.3 HP Winter Storage?

I purchased a new Honda in August that I won’t be using again till Spring. I’ve not really used it since purchasing but ran it in a fresh water tank, closed the fuel line till it stopped. Should I just drain the gas tank and call it good? The motor is stored indoors.

I'd drain it, then only run ethanol free premium in the future.

Every small engine I own, chainsaw, lawn mower, outboards, motorcycle, ATV etc, run ethanol free premium and have no issues firing up. Even if they sit all winter with fuel in them.

33 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Every small engine I own, chainsaw, lawn mower, outboards, motorcycle, ATV etc, run ethanol free premium and have no issues firing up. Even if they sit all winter with fuel in them.

This is my experience as well but not everyone has easy access to ethanol-free fuel.

52 minutes ago, bmiller said:

OP here....I asked the dealer as to whether they filled it with ethanol free gas and he kind of said that they did but I'm not totally confident that that is accurate.   So when in doubt I would prefer to drain the gas tank and not worry about the gas....unless it is pretty standard for dealers to routinely use ethanol free?

19 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

Marvelous little bits of engineering

Noisy bastards

Good starters

As easy to maintain as a lawnmower

D

Yea, I dropped mine in Bahia Concepcion. A little fiddling and it ran the rest of that trip. Took a major cleaning though the next season to get it going again. 

48 minutes ago, pjmsj21 said:

OP here....I asked the dealer as to whether they filled it with ethanol free gas and he kind of said that they did but I'm not totally confident that that is accurate.   So when in doubt I would prefer to drain the gas tank and not worry about the gas....unless it is pretty standard for dealers to routinely use ethanol free?

Up here in Canuckistan the marine fuel docks all sell ethanol free midgrade as a standard thing, but I have never heard of things being that easy in the USA.

In case you want to full store your 2.3 for some reason, you can get ethanol free gas by the quart from the Home Depot for $10 or cheaper, call your local car dealer and ask if they have ethanol free since they will probably have high octane race gas as well without the sour mash added. 

5 hours ago, pjmsj21 said:

I purchased a new Honda in August that I won’t be using again till Spring. I’ve not really used it since purchasing but ran it in a fresh water tank, closed the fuel line till it stopped. Should I just drain the gas tank and call it good? The motor is stored indoors.

You guys have shitty ethanol fuel, yeah? In which case I'd drain it.

Otherwise, no need to bother. I've got the older 2HP model, use it quite a lot, leave it 3 months over winter, it always works fine.

I give mine a wash-down with fresh water every so often and spray the bits Honda made out of plain steel with Lanotec or similar.

As Dylan says, noisy little things but - lightweight, reliable, no impellor or internal passages to corrode. If I drowned mine I'd buy another one immediately.

FKT

• Like 2

Run it out of fuel, then pull the choke and empty the fuel from the carb.  Hit the shut-off when it dies. I actually ran the carb empty every time I used it.  And yes, 100% ethanol free fuel only!  Make sure to store it right side up or vertical. 

19 hours ago, pjmsj21 said:

I’ve got an 10 year old air-cooled Honda 2hp.  I’m lazy about doing service on it...never done anything...but every winter I simply run it completely dry of fuel.  Good to go for winter storage.

This winter a full service of the thing is on my list...

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

You guys have shitty ethanol fuel, yeah? In which case I'd drain it.

Otherwise, no need to bother. I've got the older 2HP model, use it quite a lot, leave it 3 months over winter, it always works fine.

I give mine a wash-down with fresh water every so often and spray the bits Honda made out of plain steel with Lanotec or similar.

As Dylan says, noisy little things but - lightweight, reliable, no impellor or internal passages to corrode. If I drowned mine I'd buy another one immediately.

FKT

In most places you can find non-ethanol fuel. You have to check the local marinas or sometimes fuel stations that cater to offroad vehicles like farm equipment.

Go to your local or regional airport...$6 a gallon.  No waiting.

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

In most places you can find non-ethanol fuel. You have to check the local marinas or sometimes fuel stations that cater to offroad vehicles like farm equipment.

1 minute ago, sail69 said:

Go to your local or regional airport...$6 a gallon.  No waiting.

Expensive, true but if all you're doing is fueling a 2hp OB, it's not that big an outlay. It's not like you're buying 50 gallons of the stuff.

On 12/13/2020 at 3:18 PM, pjmsj21 said:

If you are American   purchase a liter of alcohol free gasoline and run it thru your motor

alcohol fuel causes corn cobs to grow in your fuel system and bogs everything up 

• Like 1
On 12/13/2020 at 1:18 PM, pjmsj21 said:

The 2.3 Honda is air cooled and therefore does not have any water passages to flush.

Here in the Land of the Free and the Right to Arm Bears the availability of ethanol-free gasoline varies from state to state.  But...

...it doesn't matter as much as is widely believed.  Keep the motor in a cool, dry place over the winter and it will be fine.

5 hours ago, slug zitski said:

If you are American   purchase a liter of alcohol free gasoline and run it thru your motor

This is America.  We don't sell gasoline by the liter.  Or by the litre.  Because we're free and stuff.

5 hours ago, slug zitski said:

alcohol fuel causes corn cobs to grow in your fuel system and bogs everything up 

Well, no.  The modern-day problem with ethanol in fuel is that it tends to absorb water from the air when kept in a vented tank.  This could cause steel fuel line components to corrode, except for the fact that the 2.3 Honda doesn't have any.  If the fuel absorbs enough water, the ethanol and water can come out of solution with the alkane fractions, but this is rare unless you store the engine in a swamp during a hot summer without using it.

We've had ethanol in the gasoline for over 25 years.  25 years ago there were still some rubber fuel line components that were not resistant to ethanol.  Manufacturers have switched.  The old ones have all failed by now so it doesn't matter any more, because if you have rubber fuel line components that have turned into dust it is because they are >25 years old and not because of the ethanol.

Anyway the whole point of the  2.3 Honda is you can neglect it and it will still work.

I bought a Honda 2hp a decade ago (predecessor to the 2.3) .  My approach to winterizing it has been to stop using it for a while.

After ten years, I noticed that it doesn't reach full RPM any more.  I suspect it's time to clean the carb.  I've never changed the oil either (!!).

So, follow the good advice of experienced boaters in this forum.  But if you do nothing, it's probably not the end of the world.

Pictured here at Blake Island, just south of you.

LittleHonda.jpg

13 hours ago, 2airishuman said:

...it doesn't matter as much as is widely believed.  Keep the motor in a cool, dry place over the winter and it will be fine.

Cool and dry all winter and won’t start in the summer due to clogged carb jet and water in the carb bowl. It really does matter a little. 

If no access to ethanol free gasoline, simply leave some gas in a glass jar and when the ethanol absorbs enough moisture from the atmosphere it precipitates to the bottom of the jar and you can pour the gas off the top. I use a carboy from winemaking.

There are also videos on YouTube. I haven’t watched any but I linked to one below. 

C2BB636F-2C98-41D3-AFC0-8B16D7D5C01B.jpeg

Drain the carb too, or at least I would. Even though you ran it out of fuel, there is still some left in the bowl...just enough to varnish up over the winter... yes, as others have said, you don't HAVE to do it, but I've seen more than a few issues when people didn't take that extra step.. and it is literally like a tablespoon left in there, easy to catch with just a rag...

That is what Honda recommends... I am a dealer for Honda and have been a trained tech for 20 some-odd years at this point...

16 hours ago, 2airishuman said:

The 2.3 Honda is air cooled and therefore does not have any water passages to flush.

Here in the Land of the Free and the Right to Arm Bears the availability of ethanol-free gasoline varies from state to state.  But...

This is America.  We don't sell gasoline by the liter.  Or by the litre.  Because we're free and stuff.

Well, no.  The modern-day problem with ethanol in fuel is that it tends to absorb water from the air when kept in a vented tank.  This could cause steel fuel line components to corrode, except for the fact that the 2.3 Honda doesn't have any.  If the fuel absorbs enough water, the ethanol and water can come out of solution with the alkane fractions, but this is rare unless you store the engine in a swamp during a hot summer without using it.

We've had ethanol in the gasoline for over 25 years.  25 years ago there were still some rubber fuel line components that were not resistant to ethanol.  Manufacturers have switched.  The old ones have all failed by now so it doesn't matter any more, because if you have rubber fuel line components that have turned into dust it is because they are >25 years old and not because of the ethanol.

Anyway the whole point of the  2.3 Honda is you can neglect it and it will still work.

After a prolonged diet of grain petrol I’ve actually seen full size corn cobs growing  out of gas tank caps   

that stuffs bad , real bad ...it’s worse than light beer 

use the good stuff or your trusty motor will start burping and farting like a cow 

Kick that alcohol habit

...repent or ye shall burn 

146B03F2-F41D-45D0-BF89-B7A12BCCDADF.jpeg

On 12/13/2020 at 3:18 PM, pjmsj21 said:

I don’t know the little Honda 

On  other small outboard the weak spot is corrosion and water ingress into the lower unit .. typically monofilament fish line or plastic junk get between the prop and lower unit and eats the oil seal

pop off the prop , inspect seal , change  lower unit oil and give the engine a good fresh  water wash , grease points like clamps and pivots then  a coat of preservation spray under the cowling  before it goes to sleep 

Modern outboards are pretty tough if you keep an eye on them 

On 12/14/2020 at 2:59 PM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I’ve got an 10 year old air-cooled Honda 2hp.  I’m lazy about doing service on it...never done anything...but every winter I simply run it completely dry of fuel.  Good to go for winter storage.

This winter a full service of the thing is on my list...

Full service

Remove filler plug, upend engine, drain oil

put up right, leave overnight

refill with oil

change plug

done

d