Cold weather boots.

I am looking for recommendations on what is a good cold weather boot, about -10c. I am having a hard time deciding and all the articles I have found seem to be written with no relevant information. Does anyone have some they would recommend? or ones they would not. I plan to keep sailing through the winter and the boots I am using now are leaving black marks all over the deck and cock pit.

Buy your favorite non-marking sea boots that are waterproof and a size or two too large.  Wear extra pairs of socks.  I wear two regular pairs of socks on cool days, three pairs on extra cool days, with the base layer being thin merino wool.

Some of these look like they would work well:  https://www.icebreaker.com/en-ca/mens-socks

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

Buy your favorite non-marking sea boots that are waterproof and a size or two too large.  Wear extra pairs of socks.  I wear two regular pairs of socks on cool days, three pairs on extra cool days, with the base layer being thin merino wool.

Some of these look like they would work well:  https://www.icebreaker.com/en-ca/mens-socks

Make sure the boots are loose enough that the socks are not compressed. If so they quit working and blood flow gets cut off.

JJ

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rain Man said:

Simple and effective, ok thank you.

42 minutes ago, johnsonjay17 said:

Make sure the boots are loose enough that the socks are not compressed. If so they quit working and blood flow gets cut off.

JJ

yes tight footwear is the end of warmth.

• Like 1

Pretty much all Alaskan fisherman are wearing Xtratufs. They make them insulated and non-insulated. They're durable, agile, pretty cheap. Grundens makes foul weather gear that is a lot cheaper than any sailing brand, and a lot more functional as well. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, grimoire said:

Pretty much all Alaskan fisherman are wearing Xtratufs. They make them insulated and non-insulated. They're durable, agile, pretty cheap. Grundens makes foul weather gear that is a lot cheaper than any sailing brand, and a lot more functional as well. 

Thank you! I have a hard time justifying a $500 jacket or boots when I will trash them in a season (looking at you north face!). 

Check out the commercial fishing stores in BC. Any large port will have one. I also use rubber gloves in winter. I bought about a dozen pair of polypropylene liners for them for about $4 bucks a pair. I just swap liners when they get soaked, and the liners dry quickly. They are cheap, durable and have great grip

• Like 1

I have a pair of "bogs", which are nice and thick but not insulated.  +1 on the comment, above, to get boots big enough to accomodate a couple of layers of warm socks.  As far as I'm concerned, the main purpose of the boots is to keep my socks dry.,...

• Like 2
On 12/16/2020 at 3:57 PM, some dude said:

Sorels 

I got my first Sorels for this winter. They would be good for sailing when you are active as the fit (and sizing) is quite tight. But I would get some other boots if I would be standing around for longer periods. I haven't tested how waterproof these are, so no comment on that.

On 12/16/2020 at 5:57 AM, some dude said:

Sorels 

Wait you didn't mean for sailing??  Dude. -10c is not the time.  Either wait for the water to thaw, or head south till you see a palm tree, then launch the boat

Water doesn't freeze on the lake here, well it hasn't since the 50s or 60s so not a issue. I have sorels and baffins but they are not agile and are not much for support. I am usually sailing solo so being able to move around quickly is often needed, wearing insulated bricks on my feet is not ideal. 

On 12/15/2020 at 1:27 PM, grimoire said:

Check out the commercial fishing stores in BC. Any large port will have one. I also use rubber gloves in winter. I bought about a dozen pair of polypropylene liners for them for about $4 bucks a pair. I just swap liners when they get soaked, and the liners dry quickly. They are cheap, durable and have great grip

I will look and see what is available online from any where on the coast. As for gloves I have been doing fine with my summer gloves so far but have been looking into something with fingers as the short fingers are plenty warm when tacking but after awhile of sailing down wind they get cool.  

On December 13, 2020 at 5:07 PM, Machsquad said:

I am looking for recommendations on what is a good cold weather boot, about -10c. I am having a hard time deciding and all the articles I have found seem to be written with no relevant information. Does anyone have some they would recommend? or ones they would not. I plan to keep sailing through the winter and the boots I am using now are leaving black marks all over the deck and cock pit.

Uggs

• Like 1

definitely look at places that supply commercial fisherman - i got a nice pair of insulated boots at hamilton marine for a lot less than any sailing boots - they're a bit stiffer than I'd love,  especially for dinghy sailing, but for sailing our keelboat and taking long watches in cold weather they are the shit.

• Like 1
On 12/15/2020 at 1:48 PM, sledracr said:

I have a pair of "bogs", which are nice and thick but not insulated.  +1 on the comment, above, to get boots big enough to accomodate a couple of layers of warm socks.  As far as I'm concerned, the main purpose of the boots is to keep my socks dry.,...

+1 for the Bogs.  They look ridiculous and large, but they are warm, dry, have excellent grip, are non-marking, and are a fraction of the cost of Dubary's or similar.  I've had mine for several seasons of winter sailing in the Salish Sea and have never had cold feet with them.

Boots like Sorels make no sense at all for keeping your feet warm if you are active. I have never owned Dubarrys but leather makes a lot more sense than rubber. Rubber does not breath so when your feet sweat it cant get out so the big thick wool liners get wet and then the rubber does a great job of conducting the cold into your boot, it does not work. Uninsulated leather boots with thick wool socks and air space make for a much warmer boot which is why Dubarrys seem ideal, bit spendy though. The Sorel and others of the same style only work if you are stationary and not producing sweat.