The IOR sailing was popular in the 70’s and 80’s. But the use of extreme materials made these yachts expensive. Soon one-design classes took over. However, it did not take long before one could get two old IOR-yachts to the same price as of one of those one-design yachts. Thus, somewhat of a revival for old IOR yachts have taken place. Both quarter- and half ton cup are held again under IRC. Old boats are looked for all over the world to be renovated, such as Fauroux-designed quarter-tonners, or Farr-designed half-tonners. A number of old IOR yachts made from good materials exist on the market, usually to reasonable prices. However, the yachts may need renovation. For example, a yacht fell off its jack and onto her side, breaking stringers and puncturing the hull. Another example is yachts beached in a storm and considered an insurance write off, with lots of damage to the hull and holes in the deck. However, yachts can saved from the chainsaws, and avoid to end up as landfill. Thus, one can do the environment a good turn by getting these boats out of the water, getting them out of people’s backyards, and salvaging boats. The present Facebook group “IOR landfills?” tries to create interest on yachts that can be saved in time, and the it’s members are welcomed to make contributions on the following site:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/203537404677541

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was an odd time the late IOR period. Fantastic fleets, great racing and many beautiful looking boats that were absolute cunts of things to sail. Back them most  owners actually knew how to sail and

Having renovated an IOR 1-tonner, I feel obliged to point out that there are way cheaper ways to get a tidy boat on to a start line

I can never explain why I am so drawn to these boats.  They dig fantastic holes in the water, their run is always humped and never smooth and straight, They are noted to be especially good at rounding

Posted Images

It is a lot of time, money and effort to save one of these things from the dumpster.  Anyone who has done it deserves the pleasure and satisfaction derived from getting out on the water and enjoying the fruit of their labour.  

It was an odd time the late IOR period. Fantastic fleets, great racing and many beautiful looking boats that were absolute cunts of things to sail. Back them most  owners actually knew how to sail and as a pro you could get as pissed as you like in the beer tent and no one gave a shit. As the old saying goes If you can remember the Hawaiian regattas in the early 80’s...you weren’t there.

• Like 12
18 minutes ago, SuddenlyBrown said:

G&S 30. Found the photos of it sailing from a thread on here. Credit to Larry.

Then some pics of how it sits today.

D6FF67DD-514A-496D-86F8-37D5340F197B.jpeg

CB0F5FF1-C15F-4F76-A107-B4D3C6396660.jpeg

D0E81D1A-69FD-409A-9E0A-ED453299387B.jpeg

EAE0F178-9463-4D11-8FFE-9411217279E5.png

F76DBE0A-4885-4688-95E3-C4AEC75A9102.png

There were many beautiful looking IOR boats. That is not one of them.

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Little Wood Boats said:

How many of the Farr half tonners made it to the US?  I could dig finding one worth saving.  

True Farr Half Tons?  Very few if any  - most likely none imported.  There was a Canadian builder that made some similar to the Farr 920: https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/farr-920

There was one for sale in West Van within the last year.  The 920, like most boats designed and built in NZ lacked the horsepower to do well in most North American regions.

If you wanted a fast Half Ton, a wooden Peterson named Scorpion was available.  Unfortunately some young "rebel without a cause"  or maybe "dimwit without a clue" is more appropriate got his hands on her and proceeded to abandon and presumably destroyed her.  There is a lengthy thread in here about the adventures prior  to the last known voyage: 

Or if wooden boats aren't your thing, there was the similar looking Mo Bettah II which fortunately got picked up by Anarchist SJB a couple of years ago and is doing a great resto job on her.  Here is the thread on the Mo Bettah II resto;

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, SuddenlyBrown said:

G&S 30. Found the photos of it sailing from a thread on here. Credit to Larry.

Then some pics of how it sits today.

F76DBE0A-4885-4688-95E3-C4AEC75A9102.png

Where did they get that vertical cut headsail?  Haven't seen one of those since the 80's...

21 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

Where did they get that vertical cut headsail?  Haven't seen one of those since the 80's...

Pretty certain that photo is from the 80's.  See comment below:

1 hour ago, SuddenlyBrown said:

The pictures on the trailer are current 2020 pics. Sailing pics are from 30+ years ago before I was even born.

The thing is absolutely full of water. Never new a boat could sink when on the hard.

4 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

Pretty certain that photo is from the 80's.  See comment below:

Got it.  Didn't read carefully enough.  I had one of those vertical cut sails - didn't last very long.  They were the rage for a while.

Incidentally, that’s the way cotton sails were sewn until Nathaniel Hereshoff made his horizontal so they wouldn’t deflect the wind the way the old, saggy cotton sails of the day did. Each vertical panel would quickly blow out and they attained non aerodynamically becoming shapes  at every angle..

• Like 1

I remember this. It was on a piece of public trail next to SDYC. I used to visit it when i was in San Diego on business. I did not know that was Doug Petersons home.

20201214_192245.png

8 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Little-known facts about 'Gilligan's Island' and 'The Brady Bunch' - AOL  Entertainment

Of course they have all kinds of oak barrels and other wood products, including the fly bridge, but they couldn’t fix that hull. 

And they were all sober...

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Weyalan said:

Having renovated an IOR 1-tonner, I feel obliged to point out that there are way cheaper ways to get a tidy boat on to a start line

I am hearin' ya. I owned the Davidson 40 Blue Max for 5 years and found it to be a wonderful way of getting rid of all that unnecessary extra cash. I recall reading once that this guy had said he greatest fear was that he would die and his wife would sell his boat for what he had told her it was worth.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Me too. :D I always had a taste for older women.

She was much better choice than a High maintenance Ranger or a farm girl from Kansas who probably learnt the facts of life from her 6 brothers in the hay loft. It is a quite common practice in those Red states I hear.

22 minutes ago, Little Wood Boats said:

Difficult to hold a hearing when the defendant is constantly pulling his pud over the exhibits.

Now now Little wood, this is Sailing Anarchy, not facebook. We require a better standard of shit slinging than just accusing someone of masterbating. You are going to have to lift your game. Head back over to facebook and hone your craft in the minor leagues before trying for play here. 

Wanker.

28 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Now now Little wood, this is Sailing Anarchy, not facebook. We require a better standard of shit slinging than just accusing someone of masterbating. You are going to have to lift your game. Head back over to facebook and hone your craft in the minor leagues before trying for play here. 

Wanker.

Just trying to play nice.  I could fall back to the acceptable standards of the early days of anon and enturbulation.org but that would get me a perma ban here.  

Wanker?  You are cute

2 hours ago, Little Wood Boats said:

Just trying to play nice.  I could fall back to the acceptable standards of the early days of anon and enturbulation.org but that would get me a perma ban here.  

Wanker?  You are cute

I agree. I long for the old days around here when I could have called you a pedo.

Good times!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, LB 15 said:

I agree, "lift your game":

grap_images (1).jfif

16 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

How can people let hugely expensive possessions get like that?

It's like leaving a Ferrari in a field to rot.

Really pissed off wives.

The well maintained ones are owned by ex husbands!

31 minutes ago, Liquid said:

^ did this one die from a terminally bad boat name?

Sister to Golden Apple of the Sun

Apparently too literate for you - it's Yeats

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, Liquid said:

Clearly!

But, did you mean 'yeast'?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_apple

The William Butler Yeats poem "The Song of the Wandering Aengus", has the lines:

I will find out where she has gone

And kiss her lips and take her hands;

And walk among long dappled grass,

And pluck till time and times are done

The silver apples of the moon,

The golden apples of the sun.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

How can people let hugely expensive possessions get like that?

It's like leaving a Ferrari in a field to rot.

Well some leave their Ferrari´s to rot in garage:

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/ferrari-daytona-barn-find/index.html

Why I find only rusted wheelbarrows from abadoned barns.

7 minutes ago, LordBooster said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_apple

The William Butler Yeats poem "The Song of the Wandering Aengus", has the lines:

I will find out where she has gone

And kiss her lips and take her hands;

And walk among long dappled grass,

And pluck till time and times are done

The silver apples of the moon,

The golden apples of the sun.

Hey, you are good at the google thing I see!

Still a shitty name...

28 minutes ago, LordBooster said:

1281981374_Animal202.jpg.03e29d998cfd5e72bf18a13b645dadf0.jpg

https://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/E170%20Animal%20Farm.htm

Animal Farm

1973 Plan Wylie, built in Cold Moulded timber

23 aout, Half Ton Cup, La Rochelle: 10 - 6 - 26 - 22 - 1 = 6e/38, CORLETT / CARTER

“2020 February from FacebookScott Krivanek, owner: "That was cool to check out. I knew the boat when it was first built and stumbled across it a few years ago. It needed a lot of work and I'm just now getting to the point where I'm going to be able to sail it. I'm really looking forward to that”

http://www.wyliecat.com/about/about_tom.html

“It would be difficult to find a designer who defies stereotyping as well as the Bay Area's Tom Wylie.”

“Looking back, Tom sees those days as sort of his "Jurassic" period. He breaks his design career into separate eras, the first of which began with the Nightingale and culminated with him designing and helping build the half-tonner Animal Farm in Tito's shop in 1973. Chris Corlett and Bill Carter finished the boat off and went on to win a couple of North American championships with it.”

40 minutes ago, Pertsa said:

Well some leave their Ferrari´s to rot in garage:

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/ferrari-daytona-barn-find/index.html

Why I find only rusted wheelbarrows from abadoned barns.

Some people just have too much money I guess.