• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was an odd time the late IOR period. Fantastic fleets, great racing and many beautiful looking boats that were absolute cunts of things to sail. Back them most  owners actually knew how to sail and

Having renovated an IOR 1-tonner, I feel obliged to point out that there are way cheaper ways to get a tidy boat on to a start line

Big Wheels,  yep.  I sailed an 80 foot Maxi that had a pump on the wheel well because it went below the waterline! Lots of winches,  why no cleats or jammers,  none had been developed capable of

Posted Images

1 hour ago, LordBooster said:
11 hours ago, o30_oldschool said:

A beauty!

Good that it is no balsa core: "Nomex Honeycomb core with no bales core"

That's a nice looking, pretty sure to be a good sailing, boat

Doesn't look like a big project.

Somebody, get this!

FB- Doug

• Like 1

"My sail boat" May be DASH 34 designed by Laurie Davidson: "First planned for class racing as no attempt was made to cater to any handicap rule"

Kan vara en bild av jordens vatten

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/seattle-my-sail-boat/7292596596.html?lang=en&cc=gb

May be this design: https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/dash-34?fbclid=IwAR2JBq_vyDxsg10uBS6ac_Gu5Dx2xJdbVSrjDG3KQclug4XyD1GIP-h1KPk

When I first looked at this yacht it was something familiar about her. I then got help to identify her and I edited the post including the designers name Laurie Davidson. Not the stern, but much of the rest I believe bears resemblance to Pendragon:

https://rbsailing.blogspot.com/2013/01/pendragon-davidson-34.html?fbclid=IwAR1oH45aJ3kvsjqt4oReMUvKj53zJ5Q24ehAre_B1eDQ4opJ1Qa0VcQSDJQ

Readers interested in this yacht may also look at this site:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1149131725101948/

23 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Get that non-IOR thing out of here!

I just thought it was fun with a yacht by Laurie Davidson, that resembled Pendragon. For sure, no IOR. Sometimes one figure about production versions of famous IOR yachts. This can be it. Perhaps she is an unbumped, no speedbump version? If it is important to remove her, please do so.

48 minutes ago, LordBooster said:

I just thought it was fun with a yacht by Laurie Davidson, that resembled Pendragon. For sure, no IOR. Sometimes one figure about production versions of famous IOR yachts. This can be it. Perhaps she is an unbumped, no speedbump version? If it is important to remove her, please do so.

48 minutes ago, LordBooster said:

Not very similar to Pendragon other than being similar size and same designer.  I have a Dash so quite familiar with them.  Dash has less beam (10 ft), a fair amount of topside flare and is all waterline with minimal overhangs compared with the long stern overhang of Pendragon.

The Dash 34 was derived from Davidson's Wednesday Night Racer which were built in NZ.  The Dash have a frac rig vs the MH rig of the WNR and taller cabin.

Locally, the Dash looks most similar to the Davidson 40 Teddy Bear, which also had a MH rig, better interior and 6 ft longer than the Dash.  A lot of local Dash 34s have been turboed to varying degrees of success.  The most successful being Absolute Kaos which rates in the neighbourhood of the FT10 and Farr 30

Teddy Bear and AK below for comparison.

Teddy Bear.jpg

Teddy Bear 2.jpg

AK1.jpg

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

Teddy Bear

Teddy Bear.jpg

Teddy Bear 2.jpg

Geez 12, I like!  Teddy Bear is one sweet looking ride, I always wondered what a "normalized" Dash would look like.  The cutout-less transom looks nice, the classic window profile masks the tall and highly crowned cabin, and I bet there's other details I've missed.  What's the story on TB, from the few pics she looks like she's had some lovin'?

Cheers!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, CriticalPath said:

Geez 12, I like!  Teddy Bear is one sweet looking ride, I always wondered what a "normalized" Dash would look like.  The cutout-less transom looks nice, the classic window profile masks the tall and highly crowned cabin, and I bet there's other details I've missed.  What's the story on TB, from the few pics she looks like she's had some lovin'?

Cheers!

Haven't seen Teddy Bear in a while, but I'm pretty certain she is still around.  Here's a link to an old SA thread from 2005 about LD (sounds like LD was retiring at the time, although don't know if he actually retired) that indicates one of his last jobs was a new bulb keel for Teddy Bear:

Not sure if there are any truly stock Dash 34s around (at a minimum all have had the OMC "saildrives" with either an OB or a few have IB diesels.  The stock transom had rebates for horseshoe life rings, which is useless these days and tend to detract from the aesthetics.  There is one Dash I can think of without the rebates - Final Dash, which was home built using the Dash molds IIRC and it looks a lot better IMO. Getting rid of those is one of the many incomplete projects on my Dash.

Edit:

Just remembered Hurricane doesn't have the rebates (cutouts) either and I found a couple of stern on photos of her.  Still has an OB ruining the aesthetics though:(.

Hurricane.jpg

Hurricane2.jpg

• Like 1

Teddy Bear is still around, although the last couple of years at WIRW they have raced in the cruising class rather than Div 1.

I remember racing against her at WIRW back in the late '80's.  She still looks pretty darn good for a boat that has been used extensively for such a long time.

As for the Dash 34, I remember racing against Balderdash (again in the late '80's) in Victoria.  She really was the antithesis of the IOR influenced boats of the time.  Very lightly built, and light overall, with a hullform drawn for speed and performance, not to a rule. And with a ridiculously almost square aspect kite. Pretty cool boats.  I thought the transom cut-outs were cool.  Didn't they also have the built-in tube for the MOB pole?  Sure, the cut-outs are useless in Canada as the horseshoe rings are not certified devices, but cool anyways.  (Kind of like the (Beneteau?) 1 tonner that had horseshoe cut-outs in the deck right where the helmsman sat so they doubled as seat cushions.)

• Downvote 1
37 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

Hurricane.jpg

Just noticed the other boat in this photo is also an LD design.  A Davidson 29.  Only two of the 29s were ever built - there's a story behind that.  But the 29 is my favourite all time design.  Fast in most conditions but a monster in light air.    A bit faster than a J/29 but with an actual cruising interior AND 6'2" headroom.

Still kicking myself for not picking up either one when they were for sale in the past.  But the timing wasn't right - and timing is everything.

• Like 1
On 3/29/2021 at 7:33 AM, Schnappi said:

That boat is so dope.

image.jpeg.f92e9651642770757e49e31ca0539bf3.jpeg

How has nomex stood up as a core material?

On 4/1/2021 at 8:01 AM, LordBooster said:

Add Jumpin Jack Flash to the unbumped list from LD.  Pretty boat I wonder where she is now.

Jumpin' Jack Flash - Davidson 50 - Sailing Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums

82 clipper cup photo I think... 

Jumpin+Jack+Flash_1.jpg

• Like 2
On 4/1/2021 at 11:04 AM, 12 metre said:

Haven't seen Teddy Bear in a while, but I'm pretty certain she is still around.  Here's a link to an old SA thread from 2005 about LD (sounds like LD was retiring at the time, although don't know if he actually retired) that indicates one of his last jobs was a new bulb keel for Teddy Bear:

Not sure if there are any truly stock Dash 34s around (at a minimum all have had the OMC "saildrives" with either an OB or a few have IB diesels.  The stock transom had rebates for horseshoe life rings, which is useless these days and tend to detract from the aesthetics.  There is one Dash I can think of without the rebates - Final Dash, which was home built using the Dash molds IIRC and it looks a lot better IMO. Getting rid of those is one of the many incomplete projects on my Dash.

Edit:

Just remembered Hurricane doesn't have the rebates (cutouts) either and I found a couple of stern on photos of her.  Still has an OB ruining the aesthetics though:(.

Hurricane.jpg

Hurricane2.jpg

I could have easily removed them, and the boat does look better without them, but I left my rebates there because of PHRF.  Make a few changes that might be construed as trying to make the boat faster and boom - suddenly you are an x-boat and your rating will be based on AK's, not the base rating.  Leaving the boat as stock as possible is the right strategy for these boats.  Or, go all the way and turbo everything.

• Like 1

I emailed back and forth with Kevin Dibley about Teddy Bear a couple of months ago.  He said Teddy Bear was the first of the Davidson 42's, build by Lloyd Stevenson for his own personal yacht but sold prior to launch.  There were a few other 42s namely Mr. Roosevelt, Eleanor, Spitfire.

Used to be owned by the Lidgard sailmaker in Anacortes, don't know if he is still the owner

• Like 1

Jumpin Jack Flash is in Marblehead.  I know the guy who owns her.  Sailed her from the west coast through the canal.  Has some great stories including adventures in Cuba.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dave-j said:

Jumpin Jack Flash is in Marblehead.  I know the guy who owns her.  Sailed her from the west coast through the canal.  Has some great stories including adventures in Cuba.

Pirates?

Or just grand theft auto?

19 hours ago, sam_crocker said:

Used to be owned by the Lidgard sailmaker in Anacortes, don't know if he is still the owner

Did Gerry Henson (Kelly O'Neil Henson's husband) own Teddy Bear at some point?  I know he was deeply involved in the program, but don't remember if he was an owner or not.

(still miss you, Kelly!)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sledracr said:

Did Gerry Henson (Kelly O'Neil Henson's husband) own Teddy Bear at some point?  I know he was deeply involved in the program, but don't remember if he was an owner or not.

(still miss you, Kelly!)

From the 80's to today, Gray Hawken is the only name I can recall seeing attached to the boat.

On 4/1/2021 at 8:31 PM, PeterRoss said:

2 of the boats in the photos are long gone.20210329_120453.thumb.jpg.00ec0eee6591a9dcefe6f5e42ce8dd23.jpg 

20210329_120440.jpg

Sad to see, but do you have any more info about these yachts. For instance, I couldn't find out the designer...

2 hours ago, LordBooster said:

Sad to see, but do you have any more info about these yachts. For instance, I couldn't find out the designer...

Two 3/4 ton  Mini Ton in middle. 

I sold the Mystic Mini Ton when I got married in '83, sailed it once. Years later heard it had been beached during an 80's hurricane and was at the Bend Boat Basin being used as beer bottle target practice. We grabbed it during a 4 hour break and brought it back to the shop in Norwich Ct before it was crushed. "Hondo" reaction: Get that Boat Company piece of shit out of here! I miss my buddy John, and his alter ego Hondo

The 3/4 Ton on right was a shop boat built over a client's plug, sister delivered to Annapolis, Rascal

The 3/4 with hull damage was built in 6 weeks in Noank Ct for Worlds in Newport for Noank Shipyard owner. Did not do as expected. The hull repair was extensive and involved inner outside skins and core sequentially removed around structure inside. The guy who did the work did an amazing job. Nomex core was not used in the repair. Built as Diamond Noir, named Menace in the photo. 

The other boats, two Ultimate 30's designed by Diamond Noir guy. Picture of the guy who repaired Menace in company truck. So many tales to tell

After the First Ultimate 30 event in Corpus Christi the shop floundered and started selling everything, including the shop 3/4 Ton. The buyer's first true race boat and probably smallest of many. He had a pretty nice modified C&C 39. The 3/4 Ton's new name Idler 

The boat burned in an electrical fire at Noank shipyard and did not sail, ironically the same building Diamond Noir was built in 

Hope that's enough to know who designed the 3 boats (BK, BN/BM, BN/J)

20210329_120538.jpg

20210329_120546.jpg

20210329_120624.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LordBooster said:

O dear, so much drama! hope you got some relaxation...

It was entertainment

Diamond Noir today

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1557893958&siteLocale=en_CA

Bernard Nivelt designed the Ultimate 30's in the photo. Customer boat and shop boat on plug built in 25 days after delivering Customer boat Kolius sailed.https://www.nytimes.com/1988/05/08/sports/yacthing-pro-racing-starts-in-the-fast-unruly-ultimate-30.html

20210329_120702.jpg

• Like 1

Reactor 29 half tonner Stinger, a 1974 Paul Whiting design has been a project of passion for Ashley, who has worked on her for more than three years to refit her and bring her to excellent seafaring condition.

Kan vara en bild av jordens vatten och natur

https://www.yachtingdevelopments.co.nz/news/2017/12/11/yachting-developments-sponsors-ashley-rogers-in-the-solo-trans-tasman-yacht-race-2018?fbclid=IwAR3BHOvN4WhGhEFbBQ1JRNLMQoRNkylFmL7tZ54VSBz7wdyXiGKDU4Ii4fc

Renovation:

http://www.sailing-women-on-yachts.com/solo-challenge.html?fbclid=IwAR0v0_LXm9x_6d3PHhZ_ENOREdxQ_LFv753p9yKFS-egG3olJwgS1nN1PYY

Ingen fotobeskrivning tillgänglig.

3 hours ago, LordBooster said:

Reactor 29 half tonner Stinger, a 1974 Paul Whiting design has been a project of passion for Ashley, who has worked on her for more than three years to refit her and bring her to excellent seafaring condition.

https://www.yachtingdevelopments.co.nz/news/2017/12/11/yachting-developments-sponsors-ashley-rogers-in-the-solo-trans-tasman-yacht-race-2018?fbclid=IwAR3BHOvN4WhGhEFbBQ1JRNLMQoRNkylFmL7tZ54VSBz7wdyXiGKDU4Ii4fc

Renovation:

http://www.sailing-women-on-yachts.com/solo-challenge.html?fbclid=IwAR0v0_LXm9x_6d3PHhZ_ENOREdxQ_LFv753p9yKFS-egG3olJwgS1nN1PYY

3 hours ago, LordBooster said:

Renovation:

at least it's ugly.

11 hours ago, bigrpowr said:

at least it's ugly.

Did Whiting design any good looking boats?

Offhand I can't recall one.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, LordBooster said:

The framing and stringers do not fit the age of the boat. Modern coldmolded kauri techniques from the era needn't have gone that way. Must have been a choice from an older boat builder or the original commissioner of the vessel.

Too bad as she could have done a stylish, sexy cabin and improved the look of her shear. That would have made a big difference on an old boat she put so much work, blood and soul into.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Whiting 29, Launched 1981, GRP construction, factory built yacht. Teak interior, fractional rig, scoop stern

https://www.marinehub.co.nz/boats-for-sale/paul-whiting/whiting-29/0d1e079d-942b-452c-a388-305e187353e4?region_slug=bay-of-plenty&offset=13&fbclid=IwAR3p6GGzbXif_UzZzamGgqZMaIET2DeSR64hzTOaPrFojopg0pVD-ClKFUE

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

The Reactor 25 he designed it when he was at school.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Magic Bus for one - which was a boat most young guys drooled over BITD.

Smackwater Jack after the repaint to something more similar to MB.

And the wooden Meiga XVI which is likely a later Whiting because most of the creases and folds are absent.

As for the cabin, those big boxy cabins were a common thing on Kiwi Racer/Cruisers.  I guess they followed the Bauhaus principle of "form follows function" in that it allowed for more interior volume.  Davidson and Farr had not too dissimilar cabin tops.  The last photo is a Davidson 28.

5_1 Magic Bus SS Apr 76 J Green.jpg

Smackwater Jack 1979 2.JPG

MEIGA.jpg

0_4 (1).jpg

• Like 1

Where is she and needs she restoration? OOH NO: "The Peterson Half Ton fractional daggerboarder OOH NO won the North Americans the year Waverider won the Worlds the first time. She did not go to the worlds. The Peterson shape was more balanced and better in the light/moderate stuff, the Davidson/Farr boats better in the breeze. Pictured is a sistership of OOH NO, but this one, Scorpion, had a keel", see Paul B, https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/old-quarter-tonners-magic-bus.24492/page-3

Restoration of 1979 Choate 40 (may be IOR) "Ugly Duckling" Designed by Scott Kaufman

Kan vara en bild av natur och jordens vatten

https://www.smartmarineguide.com/L50107889?fbclid=IwAR2xpHhrgUST2dbfQ7jkc2N8YJA7-i8RJGyX_7MafybtGidXdfIgEJ_pM-s

Several pics of interior in link below : "Here are a few pictures. The specs I'll put in the 4th post, from the iPad. Interior pictures on the next next post. I have hundreds of pictures so please ask, if seriously interested!", see:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f152/plan-on-selling-the-ugly-duckling-soon-181169.html?fbclid=IwAR2qYmTytOlrMZfFZyrB-WVQnFWTCYo6TcxGefZYmQb_SNSalFW8AC0k-kY

"Although, its not a fully covered "hard" dodger, due to, I still wanted access from above the gangway for lifting motors or such from the solon. So, its a soft dodger from the windshield up & over to the bimini.", see:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/hard-dodger-sprayhood-illustrated-guide-examples-tips-175159-4.html?fbclid=IwAR2uqHrr0OfEDxTaSuYkl8uIuviAMaUf5H19f7Fs_fogbUYzUNKCwCs-Ap8

Restoration: "First thing I had to do was strip down the surface for bonding. I use epoxy for everything.
I laid down some forms for the base with epoxy paste and screws.", see:

https://choate-40.blogspot.com/2012/03/wind-vane.html?fbclid=IwAR3kMtZNPFuDpZlhCLSv9v2XOxF0TRcoOynmciK0JOml7HocOp7dWqakBdI

10 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

One of Mull's best looking boats IMO.

I had one of those for a short time as a trade in. When racing it we did okay with the boat no time figure it out or dialed up. In our area we found 22' is too small for most. That's why the Wildy 21 never got traction here.

6 hours ago, LordBooster said:

Where is she and needs she restoration? OOH NO: "The Peterson Half Ton fractional daggerboarder OOH NO won the North Americans the year Waverider won the Worlds the first time. She did not go to the worlds. The Peterson shape was more balanced and better in the light/moderate stuff, the Davidson/Farr boats better in the breeze. Pictured is a sistership of OOH NO, but this one, Scorpion, had a keel", see Paul B, https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/old-quarter-tonners-magic-bus.24492/page-3

That is Scorpion.

The topic of a thread here maybe a year ago or so.  Sat for sale for a few years it seems and some young guy bought it for next to nothing I suspect.

He had some interesting adventures in it on the short few months he had it.  I believe it was abandoned off the California coast in a storm.  There were some photos of he and his crew with the CG helicopter team.

There was one or two more threads - one where he wants to give the boat away for free and maybe another about the CG rescue.

Anyone know her eventual fate?  Washed up on shore, sunk, or carried off by currents?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 12 metre said:

That is Scorpion.

The topic of a thread here maybe a year ago or so. 

The original thread:

Sailing from LA to SF, Solo w/ Little Experience - Sailing Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums

Two others were called "dealing with uncooperative crew" and "tips for being rescued"

Still not sure if the poster was a delusional/self-destructive/tortured soul, or a master troll.  Maybe both.  Either way, it ended up being a waste of a perfectly nice boat.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, LordBooster said:

Restoration of 1979 Choate 40 (may be IOR) "Ugly Duckling" Designed by Scott Kaufman

https://choate-40.blogspot.com/2012/03/wind-vane.html?fbclid=IwAR3kMtZNPFuDpZlhCLSv9v2XOxF0TRcoOynmciK0JOml7HocOp7dWqakBdI

That's the old "Trix" IIRC.  It was a force in SoCal level-racing back in the day, it was on the hard up here (Everett, WA) for several years while the owner cruise-ified it, and haven't seen it since it splashed about 5 years ago.  Hopefully the owner is off to blue-water adventures and has as much cruising success as the "Wings" people have had with their Serendipity-43

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sledracr said:

That's the old "Trix" IIRC.  It was a force in SoCal level-racing back in the day, it was on the hard up here (Everett, WA) for several years while the owner cruise-ified it, and haven't seen it since it splashed about 5 years ago.  Hopefully the owner is off to blue-water adventures and has as much cruising success as the "Wings" people have had with their Serendipity-43

i always thought it was a great looking boat.

13 hours ago, LordBooster said:

https://www.smartmarineguide.com/L50107889?fbclid=IwAR2xpHhrgUST2dbfQ7jkc2N8YJA7-i8RJGyX_7MafybtGidXdfIgEJ_pM-s

All that work and expense and then they paint it yellow?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

All that work and expense and then they paint it yellow?

Yea, but I like her. A lot of blue color as well. Swedish flag. Of course, a duckling shall be yellow. And in the story by H. C. Andersen she has some potential as ugly.

• Like 1

Sledracer,  maybe the lean o meter, will help me loose some weight.  Slowboat/fast.  We are forced to truncate that beautiful transom by 8" to comply with the city slip limits.  Do you want to see a sternectomy?

• Like 1

One-ton renovation project, Justine V designed by Berret-Finot-Fauroux

Kan vara en bild av utomhus

https://www.blocket.se/annons/goteborg/pa_borjad_renovering_av_1_tonare/95028817?fbclid=IwAR0DQheJmU0bR-dBYUrQSxX7bsVoeV6iWYocFcbvClVDP9bAGBv7DdnY_DU

http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/One Tonner/OFE 6 Justine.htm?fbclid=IwAR1q0KghvdZJc3q80cTHmrabHpt0HmFTIwJgehL68yebgGiCtVl8XM0yEPM

The hull is made of carbon fiber (homogenous, no composite). Inside the yacht is covered with insulation to keep the "cold" carbon fiber away. The yacht has been on shore the last 7 years. Rod rig. The engine was changed in 2014 to a Volvo Penta 2040 (40 hp). Folding prop.

I was down at the Port of Redwood City for the first time in quite a while, yesterday. Yup, there's Sorcery, still sitting there. It's been ten? Fifteen?  GOD, has it been Twenty years she's been sitting there? I doubt she ever sails, but she's not quite landfill yet. She's still floating and still has a rig.

Sorcery.JPG

• Downvote 1
1 hour ago, Alan H said:

I was down at the Port of Redwood City for the first time in quite a while, yesterday. Yup, there's Sorcery, still sitting there. It's been ten? Fifteen?  GOD, has it been Twenty years she's been sitting there? I doubt she ever sails, but she's not quite landfill yet. She's still floating and still has a rig.

Sorcery.JPG

She'd be toast by now.

At least they've got the wheel covers on.

On 4/2/2021 at 5:15 PM, yoyo said:

Add Jumpin Jack Flash to the unbumped list from LD.  Pretty boat I wonder where she is now.

Jumpin' Jack Flash - Davidson 50 - Sailing Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums

82 clipper cup photo I think... 

Jumpin+Jack+Flash_1.jpg

Another cool LD design.  But, it’s it IOR or MORC?

E7B4E909-5648-418B-ACE9-FAA835A0D2AB.jpeg

• Downvote 1
On 4/10/2021 at 2:24 AM, SloopJonB said:

Tequila, 42'.  She didn't have the doger when I sailed on her back in the 70's.  There was a later production GRP version called the Reactor 45.  I aslo liked Magic Bus, Newspaper Taxi and the 32' 3/4 Tonners (I sailed on one, Lady Dawn, off Fremantle).  Paul was a good mate and we exchanged design ideas until he went missing (I was supposed to be on Smackwater, but had just started my rigging and chandlery business and couldn't get away).

Tequila.jpg

• Like 1

The original sugar scoop was some 3 stainless steel wrapped around with the top corner of the scoop finishing below the gunwhale by a couple of inches so it do effect the AGS position.

• Like 1

Kermit (ex Raven) half-ton designed by Sven-Olof Ridder

https://www.blocket.se/annons/stockholm/raven_30_fot_snabb_seglare/95118380?fbclid=IwAR2D21eXsYvfF8odBx0Clw3KDsjJ2rbvhpH8HMfKEfd27CQoIsH0KZnonRc

Google translate of link above: "Unfortunately, we will now sell our nice and fast sailboat, as we will not be able to sail for at least two years. It is a 30-foot Raven equipped with mainsail (dacron), 2 pcs. genuor (roller genoa), 2 st. spinnackrars, mainsail, sprayhood, boom tent, windbreak + backrest for the cockpit, anchor, anchor line, rope timber, fresh cushions, radio, VHF, double compasses, wind instrument, knob meter, autopilot, kitchenette with sink and two-burner kitchen and 4 berths.
The engine is Volvo Penta MD5A (newly renovated) with sail drive and folding propeller.
The boat is easy to sail and fast and has i.a. won several sailing competitions. The boat can be seen on land, but will be launched at the end of April.
There is also a harbor and a place for winter storage if desired."

17 hours ago, SloopJohnB said:

The original sugar scoop was some 3 stainless steel wrapped around with the top corner of the scoop finishing below the gunwhale by a couple of inches so it do effect the AGS position.

I remember it was clearly a bolt-on, not anywhere near as elegant as the one in the photo, but I don't recall it being metal - there was maybe a plywood step set in (that D'Arcy used as a fishing platform).  I do remember the lolly scoop shape.  

Fuck, that's 47 years ago!  The boat has aged better than me ...

• Like 1

Dubois 40 Gumboot IV (ex Revelation), one-tonner from -83

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/dubois-40-gumboot-iv-1-tonner-admirals-cup/260593

"Revelation KA 5178 Dubois 1983, 1983 Sydney Hobart: 50th / 173 elapsed time 3d23h07 ', TCF 8037, B. Moore, 1984 Sydney Hobart: 10th / 151 elapsed time 4d13h46', TCF 7950, B. Moore, 1989 Sydney Hobart: 29th / 108 corrected time 3d09h41, TCF 7916, B. Moore;", see: http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/One Tonner/Dubois.htm?fbclid=IwAR1s3DzOhAlb5iDr90pisVRdv8yycOA33lDJpIe1e9-sJr31faX_rXxRLOs

Where is she now Illusion (ex Mercury?) half-tonner designed by Ragnar Håkansson and built by Kiwi Boats in -78: "She did have a tube structure, not as extensive as IMP but same idea of frame taking the mast compression, rig loads and keel box structure all aluminum tubes and plate", Kiwi Boats

Illusion US Ragnar Hawkensen. Built by Kiwi Boats, SORC 79: 2e/? Classe F, see: https://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/Half Liste.htm?fbclid=IwAR2Jaa-s3EQnwg8nMus4bWdP0RDjtZAUoYmVAkO2g2QK4Jf8efGa0r9mpfw

"Neither one of these boats however wins this particular race; that honor goes to “Illusion” a 30-footer designed by Ragnar Hawkanson who is crewing on Imp.", Download the following document and use Edit in Windows. Under Edit one use Find and write in just his first name: Ragnar : https://issuu.com/latitude38/docs/latitude3822maunse?fbclid=IwAR1PVopTHurk2k1OSwK0pKVbYh9vq1kpvSTAKCq71GJGpdPjTgNfvWEmAtc

"Illusion, which finishes second is 30-ft. long, weighs 6,000 lbs., and has a 38-ft. mast.", see same link as above

On 4/7/2021 at 12:47 PM, LordBooster said:

Damn. I have brand new spectra sails that would fit that boat. 

Far cheaper to buy that one than ship/sail mine there.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Black Jack said:

Damn. I have brand new spectra sails that would fit that boat. 

Far cheaper to buy that one than ship/sail mine there.

Yea, a really cool yacht. A mini Swampfire. Still fast.

19 hours ago, LordBooster said:

Curious little slug, sailed on one as a teenager once on Tampa Bay,  below 4knsb trundle boat :-)

• Like 1

Those boats were competitive 1/4 Tonners back then. PHRF about the same as a San Juan 24 - 220 or thereabouts.

They were fast boats in their day.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, dolphinmaster said:

Curious little slug, sailed on one as a teenager once on Tampa Bay,  below 4knsb trundle boat :-)

There is one for sale in the marina here in Jax.  It actually seems to move pretty well for the condition it and the sails are in.

• Like 1