• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was an odd time the late IOR period. Fantastic fleets, great racing and many beautiful looking boats that were absolute cunts of things to sail. Back them most  owners actually knew how to sail and

Having renovated an IOR 1-tonner, I feel obliged to point out that there are way cheaper ways to get a tidy boat on to a start line

Big Wheels,  yep.  I sailed an 80 foot Maxi that had a pump on the wheel well because it went below the waterline! Lots of winches,  why no cleats or jammers,  none had been developed capable of

Posted Images

Sad to hear about Moonduster, a poster boat when I grew up sailing in Ireland in the 80s. No pics, as I didn’t realise it was her at the time, but I spotted a very sad looking Silver Apple in the yard at Bucklers Hard in the UK earlier today. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, cill123 said:

Rotting away in Trondheim, Norway.  Frers 51 Moonduster

20210502_172425.jpg

That verges on the criminal.

• Like 2

There's at least one old IOR boat not destined for the landfill.

Just noticed Nitidus is in our yard.  Frers 40 circa 1983.

I hadn't seen her for maybe 30 years or more - I often wondered what happened to her.  Talked briefly to the owner today, a Russian or some Eastern European.  Said they had been sailing the world in her the past 15 years or so - after some functional interior mods to make her cruisable.  

Repainted white at some point, but overall looks well looked after.   And what can I say - she's a Frers.

• Like 1
On 4/29/2021 at 3:53 PM, longy said:

This boat is amazingly original - still has Stearns hydraulics!!!  

Who remembers which valve does what?

I remember Tom Blackaller at the Italian Admiral's Cup Trials I think in 1977 at Porto Cervo bragging about hydraulic forestay and backstay on the boat to allow changing the rake while sailing, he was demonstrating it at the dock.  He was pumping away and yanked the bow pulpit off the boat as the halyards were all attached.  Was pretty hilarious!

• Like 4
13 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

Was pretty hilarious!

Yea, want another one? The 3/4-tonner Pilsner, named after the original Pilsner Urquel. In the harbor after the regatta. The guy normally doing foredeck now sitting besides one of the winches for the runners. After each Pilsner he tightened the runner more and more. Implying that he had done enough foredeck now, and he was the man of the runners. Needless to say the mast came down.    

2 minutes ago, LordBooster said:

Yea, want another one? The 3/4-tonner Pilsner, named after the original Pilsner Urquel. In the harbor after the regatta. The guy normally doing foredeck now sitting besides one of the winches for the runners. After each Pilsner he tightened the runner more and more. Implying that he had done enough foredeck now, and he was the man of the runners. Needless to say the mast came down.    

Ouch!  Dropped several masts but never at the dock, so far.

• Like 1

Two Tonner was small for a coffee grinder.

Having the drums that far away sure must have compromised the interior with the drive shafts.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

Are we having fun yet?

image.png.19fa9e61a4ee681a9941c7a95ee1d8ca.png

That guy lying on the water - is that what is known in literature as "A bemused look"?

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Sail12m said:

The guy with the bemused look is the owner I forget his name. The guy driving is John Marshall. 

Pasquale Landolfi.  A great owner - he had multiple boats called Brava.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Sail12m said:

The guy with the bemused look is the owner I forget his name. The guy failing his driving test is John Marshall. 

FTFY

• Like 3
On 4/26/2021 at 8:27 PM, Serge A. Storms said:

Saw the old ROBIN in Portsmouth RI yesterday-   Pretty sure she was/is a Ted Hood one-tonner?

Looked sad...  It was a cold, grey, rainy day.  That kinda day....

ROBIN 1.jpg

ROBIN 2.jpg

ROBIN 3.jpg

ROBIN 4.jpg

ROBIN 5.jpg

Looks like a shitter

43 minutes ago, LordBooster said:
3 hours ago, pironiero said:

L-6 one of few russian racing classes

Perhaps inspired by IOR?

Looks more RORC inspired/

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Sail12m said:

The guy with the bemused look is the owner I forget his name. The guy driving is John Marshall. 

And John was saying all the time "I got it, I got it, I got it!"

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Famous boat.

Really hoping someone takes that one on.  Very pretty and deserves to be resurrected.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Anyone know what IOR this is?

182980148_10224591066099335_8942893414884953557_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=SzlecjHfuLAAX_0KWa1&_nc_ht=scontent.fhnl3-1.fna&oh=54f22955dabe7b76390e0437d57f12ba&oe=60BBAB74

May be an image of body of water

May be an image of outdoors

I believe it's a Peterson 37.   The name is original but it was formerly in Toronto (RCYC), hence the Canadian sail #.  Wiggers built if I recall.

53 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

I believe it's a Peterson 37.   The name is original but it was formerly in Toronto (RCYC), hence the Canadian sail #.  Wiggers built if I recall.

Yep. Andy used the same cabin house design on the Lager 40 (J/N 1-Ton) they built too. A friend of mine designed the cabin house/deck details when working for Doug.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mike Hunt said:

yes a wiggers build Peterson 37.  originally a tiller but converted along the way to a wheel. attached is the original sales brochure.  refers to Valour as the proto-type, but it is actually Hull #1.  built 14 of them I think

877887396_wiggerspeterson37.pdf

• Like 2
18 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

This boat is damn sexy

May be an image of nature

Looks like an early 80's Baltic without teak decks.

Did Peterson design Baltics back then?

Serendipity 43 ex Ruby Rose out of Seattle, ex Carrisa finished out originally by a guy from Everett and raced locally but never too much of a contender.

I believe Doug designed all the "DP" Baltics.  38DP, 42DP, 48DP, 55DP.

The Tom Wylie design Lois Lane on rehab

Kan vara en bild av utomhus

Video showing renovation on: http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/showthread.php?4319-Lois-Lane-from-front-page&fbclid=IwAR1UV2oDZUhqJBPdM2ha4gGDOjxIiQxzjfhVW4fYuJ1B4aoR4BL4R__6Ulk

"It would be difficult to find a designer who defies stereotyping as well as the Bay Area's Tom Wylie.", see:

http://www.wyliecat.com/about/about_tom.html?fbclid=IwAR2SPdmtHL_2-3loiKj7AUA23kWV1UqDlKVMo5lkLuSeVolefnHGXX3lKBA

• Like 1
On 5/5/2021 at 9:23 PM, SloopJonB said:

That guy lying on the water - is that what is known in literature as "A bemused look"?

Been there and next, did a keel check, underwater.  The keel was fine.  Could not complain to the helmswoman.  She was new to the spinnaker game and was asked to do something she was not comfortable with. (So in that case, I blame the skipper who was...Me) 

On 5/6/2021 at 3:24 PM, MauiPunter said:

Anyone know what IOR this is?

182980148_10224591066099335_8942893414884953557_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=SzlecjHfuLAAX_0KWa1&_nc_ht=scontent.fhnl3-1.fna&oh=54f22955dabe7b76390e0437d57f12ba&oe=60BBAB74

May be an image of outdoors

still racing... https://yachtscoring.com/event_scratch_sheet.cfm?eID=12949

• Like 2
7 hours ago, LordBooster said:

The Tom Wylie design Lois Lane on rehab

One of my alltime favorites.... at a time when the IOR was actively evolving in a couple of different directions, Lois Lane was a design that hit all the buttons - fast in a variety of conditions, not tortured at the measurement points, and not given to the poor sailing of existing IOR designs.

The bad news is that she hit the water just as the ULDB movement was hitting stride.  And boats like "free spirit" (mull-40 designed for the new ULDB division in the 1977 Transpac) got a lot more attention, albeit at the cost of much higher rating.  Although a good (and beautiful) design, Lois's impact got lost in the pivot to "fast is fun".

$.02

• Like 2

Sad to see the old girl like this.  And never likely to see water again.

While she did have an IOR rating,  I would hardly call her an IOR boat.

Went really well if the wind was going the same way,  and the more the better!

• Like 1

Albin Ballad project, half-tonner designed by Rolf Magnusson

https://www.blocket.se/annons/vasternorrland/albin_ballad_objekt/95596321?fbclid=IwAR0VCZ8vF8-kt9HQAxH7ehBjmecNON2iU-g9Wdqz_vPMgWn_-aJTX95YNww

Translate of link above: "There's a lot to do about it. Disassembled engine and engine bed, conversion to S-Drev has begun. All parts for this are available. Completely renovated engine,
Md7A with freshwater cooling.
110-S drive.
The bottom is treated with 7 (!) Turns of epoxy. Thoroughly sanded to gelcoat before.
Furlinggenua. Sail in ok condition.
Unfortunately, the boat has been in a connecting room where it has burned. This has meant that the boat is very sooty and some smoke smells inside.
It therefore needs a thorough washing and scrubbing inside. The cushions probably need to be replaced, they all remain as templates.
The Sprayhood has also been beaten by this.
The sails were stored in a completely different place so these have survived, as have the mast and boom.
Trolley is also available."

For more info about Albin Ballad se: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1708667652716884

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Pipe Dream said:

Sad to see the "Flying Colours" by Kel Steinman in this condition. This 52' yacht has nice lines, and I assume the IOR rating is 34' (see ad), thus somewhat higher than two-tonner at 32' IOR.  Obviously Steinman did computer analyses: "Flying Colours, the yacht Kel Steinman designed Using a performance evaluation computer", see: https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/122190429/?fbclid=IwAR2abbTAKZ0rIoJtXRrvAOIfEJmJ61dDz8Y9wctQoQ-ir37X6nkA2JjX81U

Other examples of IOR yachts be Kel Steinman: http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/Quarter Tonner/Q Waza.htm?fbclid=IwAR09IgDzajUv8I1OhmorBZolfuv5PnYsmsv7MVU4E4aN5v99DYMz30d2iwM

http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/Trois Quart/Chris Choice.htm?fbclid=IwAR0A5h4ejO7-1mzAheU139I4KfO9_fZWmRici2FlAtVlLzeGUPwClCCYwQQ

19 minutes ago, LordBooster said:

Sad to see the "Flying Colours" by Kel Steinman in this condition. This 52' yacht has nice lines, and I assume the IOR rating is 34' (see ad), thus somewhat higher than two-tonner at 32' IOR.  Obviously Steinman did computer analyses: "Flying Colours, the yacht Kel Steinman designed Using a performance evaluation computer", see: https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/122190429/?fbclid=IwAR2abbTAKZ0rIoJtXRrvAOIfEJmJ61dDz8Y9wctQoQ-ir37X6nkA2JjX81U

Other examples of IOR yachts be Kel Steinman: http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/Quarter Tonner/Q Waza.htm?fbclid=IwAR09IgDzajUv8I1OhmorBZolfuv5PnYsmsv7MVU4E4aN5v99DYMz30d2iwM

http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/Trois Quart/Chris Choice.htm?fbclid=IwAR0A5h4ejO7-1mzAheU139I4KfO9_fZWmRici2FlAtVlLzeGUPwClCCYwQQ

A 52 footer under IOR, when designed to the rule, would rate more like 40.5-41.0.  Anything not designed explicitly to the rule could come out quite a bit higher (e.e., ULDBs). A 52' footer rating 34 under IOR would have been a breakthrough. So I doubt the "34 foot" refers to a rating.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, LordBooster said:

What can it refer to? Can it be Steinman's yacht design number?

Dunno. Maybe Design #? Not at all familiar with Steinman, so don't know how "prolific" he was/is.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sail12m said:

4C70927C-8364-4374-8EC6-4F76E86ADA9C.png

I think this is the old "Obsession", used to be part of the Chicago racing scene. Owned at one time by John Beckstedt.

• Like 1

What's going on there?

Looks like it got dropped by a hurricane or something.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

What's going on there?

Looks like it is up on stands, and the wide-angle lens makes it look like it's tilting...

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, sledracr said:

Looks like it is up on stands, and the wide-angle lens makes it look like it's tilting...

I think Sloop is referring to the fact that it looks like it's been through years of hell weather wise, but the mainsail is still on the boom with mainsail cover half off, fenders in the cockpit.

• Like 1

It's both - I didn't realize it was a lens - it looks beat up and like it fell 1/2 off its stands.

• Like 1