• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was an odd time the late IOR period. Fantastic fleets, great racing and many beautiful looking boats that were absolute cunts of things to sail. Back them most  owners actually knew how to sail and

I just found this thread while doing a Google search on my new boat, but I bought the Peterson designed Serendipity 43 that someone linked to back in February. Bit of a distress sale, so I think I got

Having renovated an IOR 1-tonner, I feel obliged to point out that there are way cheaper ways to get a tidy boat on to a start line

Posted Images

1 hour ago, timmytwinstay said:

What ever happened to American Jane III.  (Long Beach 1977 (+-))331087541_AJIII1977LB.thumb.jpg.c244207045e636ce18a6f90b952adf2f.jpg

Hi again. In the case of the Scott Kaufman design GEM, I got some help from the builder Rieff boats. In the case of Derektor Shipyard, the builder of America Jane III perhaps it is possible for you to do something similar: https://derecktor.com/

“TweetyBird” has also been known as “B’witched”, quarter-tonner designed by Laurie Davidson, expired ad. Any results of her at championships or other regattas we can report to historiedeshalfs?

Kan vara en bild av jordens vatten

Beautiful yacht. I got this info from James King, NZ, owner of several Farr 727. Now expirerd ad: https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/listing/2986479379?bof=g0HxaAyb&fbclid=IwAR1uwLmtvn6V_AmFfaQHR5jZwf3cQALxuq4smcRZYmyN7wBU5CS28-H-A6Y

• Like 1

New Zealand Enterprise designed by Bruce Farr "The ship was donated to the Croatian Navy, which abandoned it, and the ship completely collapsed on a dry berth in Split."

Kan vara en bild av båtracing, segelbåt och hav

https://blog.vecernji.hr/hir3/10-legendarnih-hrvatskih-jedrilica-7439?fbclid=IwAR0Eu05sW9Z13dimITnn2TFV-udqYoZT9rvm5GV5ZTojn5LoE8iBydZxwZM

From link above: "The ship was built in New Zealand from Kevlar, weighs 27 tons empty, with racing equipment 30 tons, is 24.2 meters long, 6.2 wide and has a draft of 4.6 meters. ACY No.1 twice participated in the Withbread Round the World Race in (today Volvo Ocean Race) under the names 'New Zealand Enterprise' and 'Gatorade' , and in 1992 heparticipated in regattas across the Atlantic, Columbus, with Damir Miloš as a skipper. 500 and Quebec - St. A little (then called ACY Grasseto), and this can be read in the book 'ACY No.1' The ship was donated to the Croatian Navy, which abandoned it, and the ship completely collapsed on a dry berth in Split."

On 5/16/2021 at 3:38 PM, LordBooster said:

Thought this pic was one of those squished ones that you get on your phone on SA. Turned it sideways, and it still looks squished 

• Like 1

Mis-labeled of course!  That's a 3/4 tonner, built by Bruckmann on the same hull mold as the C&C 33 Mk1, but cored IIRC.  Obviously neglected, but those are nice boats, and if it was on the other coast I might be interested.

• Like 1

Ricochet 2. 1975 SS34 mk1 with a timber deck. Photo is how she was when I bought her in November. Teak deck was rotted, I could fit my head through the holes! Ripped the teak off and replaced a fair bit of the ply and sheaved the deck with epoxy and cloth. Winches are being shifted to the rear of the cabin.

IMG_20201103_133049.jpg

March 8th 21a.jpg

• Like 5

Raven built for 3/4-ton Cup -86 designed by Sven-Olof Ridder?

Kan vara en bild av natur och jordens vatten

https://www.blocket.se/annons/stockholm/3_4_ton_kappseglare/95727939

Google translate of link above: "The model is a Raven and was built before the IOR WC 1986.
It is well taken care of and before this year the bottom was sanded clean, epoxy treated and it was painted with vc17.
The boat has a well-functioning diesel inboard that always starts. S-drive and folding propeller.
The sailing wardrobe is huge with several mainsails, jibs, genus and spinnakers. Everything from cruising to the race boat is currently in Sundsvall but sails down to Stockholm and arrives 20/5. Can be displayed on the road.
Some bargaining chip is available for quick deals."

On 5/14/2021 at 4:26 PM, timmytwinstay said:

What ever happened to American Jane III.  (Long Beach 1977 (+-))331087541_AJIII1977LB.thumb.jpg.c244207045e636ce18a6f90b952adf2f.jpg

Last time I saw her was in Seabrook, TX. She had been a fixture on Galveston Bay for several years and was last owned buy a Dutch engineer as far as I know. I don't know if she survived Hurricane Ike. Perhaps d'ranger can answer.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Last time I saw her was in Seabrook, TX. She had been a fixture on Galveston Bay for several years and was last owned buy a Dutch engineer as far as I know. I don't know if she survived Hurricane Ike. Perhaps d'ranger can answer.

Weird, just logged on and saw my bud JD - haven't seen it in a few years, survived Ike and phrf cert is current to 2020. Raced against it many times, Kaufman 1 ton aka winch farm and looks awesome on the water. Going to Seabrook later today, if not raining will walk some docks.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Pertsa said:

Seems that many IOR boats had beautiful paitschemes. At least in Finland it seems like that only allowed colour today is plain white.

Agreed.  I think white has evolved as the default choice so you're not identified as marginally OCS on a crowded start line amid all the other white ones.

IOR color schemes were great.  From Midnight Sun's rainbow stripes, to Marionette/Formidable's red with the Starski and Hutch white stripe, to Huey's blue pigs.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Weird, just logged on and saw my bud JD - haven't seen it in a few years, survived Ike and phrf cert is current to 2020. Raced against it many times, Kaufman 1 ton aka winch farm and looks awesome on the water. Going to Seabrook later today, if not raining will walk some docks.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, P_Wop said:

IOR color schemes were great.  From Midnight Sun's rainbow stripes, to Marionette/Formidable's red with the Starski and Hutch white stripe, to Huey's blue pigs.

I always liked "Red Shift" - a SoCal Choate-40.  Owned by an astrophysicist, the "red shift" is the doppler phenomenon that makes the light coming from a star moving away from you shift toward the red end of the spectrum, while light from a star moving toward you shifts toward the blue end.

So the back of the boat was red, morphing to blue at the bow.  As in "if you can see our stern, we're pulling away from you.  If you can see our bow, we're coming to get you." 

• Like 3

There was a Dutch Serendipity 42 Admiral's Cupper in the early 80s.  Schuttevaer.  Starboard side was pale blue, port side was pale yellow.  Highly entertaining short tacking down the Solent.  "Hey, where did the blue boat go?  Shit, where did the yellow one come from?"

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Pertsa said:

Seems that many IOR boats had beautiful paitschemes. At least in Finland it seems like that only allowed colour today is plain white.

Kan vara en bild av en eller flera personer, personer sysslar med båtracing och utomhus

"Scott Rohrer aboard the Fontana/Maletto/Navone-designed Buonalena, which sported a striking angled green colour scheme, finished in second place, with placings of 2/3/11/4/7.", see: https://rbsailing.blogspot.com/2013/12/one-ton-cup-1980.html?fbclid=IwAR15EluVuOorEANscsvSywdcP2K53hPDaRy2EnHyaenLLU3PkxASiGk6RXs

• Like 2
6 hours ago, P_Wop said:

Agreed.  I think white has evolved as the default choice so you're not identified as marginally OCS on a crowded start line amid all the other white ones.

Imp had one of the best. There was a local Two Tonner that had the same but in blue.

It Was Magic. I Don't Know Why" | Yacht, Boat, Sailing

• Like 5

Insurance companies had a bit of a say in the "just another white boat" thing.

A Peterson 2 Tonner I sailed in the 80's had among the many pairs of her graphics an air brushed stripe from the B Max area through to the bow which had cost $16 000 just for the airbrush work in 1979!

It didn't take too many trips back for touch ups before the insurers demanded that the stripe become a solid colour.

Just now, LordBooster said:

First Class 10 with an IOR rating of 32.7 for its length of just over 34 feet "Gallic scoop extending the waterline at the stern"

Kan vara en bild av jordens vatten

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/beneteau-first-class-33/250373

That has to be the smallest Two Tonner ever.

Actually, not even that - 0.7' too much for 2T. Must smoke off the wind.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, JL92S said:

Not for land fill but thought I’d share this photo by James Tomlinson of the 1/4 tonner BLT (1980 Bullit found it Tahiti) sending it down the mine in the RORC Vice Admirals Cup A0131186-1DED-4239-B7C7-38E2C35A04A7.thumb.jpeg.81329576632ee56c104043c000a8dbe1.jpeg

more info on the boat here https://www.yachtingworld.com/extraordinary-boats/blt-quarter-ton-cup-winner-refit-125880

Crew doesn't look overly concerned - one designated moveable ballast apparently moving aft. Frequent occurrence?

On 5/23/2021 at 5:38 AM, SloopJonB said:

Imp had one of the best. There was a local Two Tonner that had the same but in blue.

It Was Magic. I Don't Know Why" | Yacht, Boat, Sailing

My favourite. Sailed on IMP for a couple of years back in the early 80s. Great, great boat. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JL92S said:
4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

That looks like they were really hauling ass, up until.........

Maybe as high as 9kts?

Well, they were certainly moving faster than the hole in the water they were making!

FB- Doug

BLT: The inside story of the Quarter Ton Cup winner’s 10,000-hour refit

The worlds only $million 1/4 Tonner?

HTF do you spend 10K hours restoring a 1/4 Pounder?

• Like 1
On 5/22/2021 at 6:30 PM, sledracr said:

I always liked "Red Shift" - a SoCal Choate-40.  Owned by an astrophysicist, the "red shift" is the doppler phenomenon that makes the light coming from a star moving away from you shift toward the red end of the spectrum, while light from a star moving toward you shifts toward the blue end.

So the back of the boat was red, morphing to blue at the bow.  As in "if you can see our stern, we're pulling away from you.  If you can see our bow, we're coming to get you." 

I sailed and was boat captain for an owner that had a series of "Red Shift"s. The first was a Pet 34. When I joined the crew, the owner already had named the boat and had the formula for doppler red shift painted on the sides. I, being a physics grad student at the time, pointed out that it was a simplified equation and not correct for general relativity. So on the next boat, a Shodk 41, I got the "sign painter" doing the name to do the general relativistic equation (incl. gravitational redshift). It did cost a bit more... ;-)

As an aside - this owner was also a scientist- but a social/political scientist! Go figure...

• Like 1
4 hours ago, tizak said:

Crew doesn't look overly concerned - one designated moveable ballast apparently moving aft. Frequent occurrence?

This photo could be the next in sequence seeing as the guy in the hat (the movable ballast) is now at the back! 73FBCA93-7656-47B6-A6E0-A90DD9850C64.thumb.jpeg.508c394e59d137a2328c818aacbe726e.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Jono said:

Indigo had a long period in Port Moresby Papua New Guinea in the 90s. She was tired back then.

Indigo was KP-3.  Di Hard was KP-1, Surefoot KP-2, both in the 1983 PNG Admiral's Cup and Southern Cross Cup teams, together with Too Impetuous.

Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2021

• Like 2
4 hours ago, LordBooster said:

That is far and away the nicest ferro boat I've seen - and I've seen a lot of them.

Sure a lot of boat in the water - I wonder what it displaces?

• Like 1
12 hours ago, LordBooster said:

Yes, Marloo II (Jaguar) undergoing renovation and showing two wheels , page 19: https://www.caribbeancompass.com/online/september20compass_online.pdf

Sailed on that boat a lot when she was here in Santa Barbara.

Her story, as I know it, is that she was built in NZ as Marloo for their Admiral's Cup team but came out of the shed too late to qualify. Next stop was LA where she became Deborah for a couple years then here to SB to become Abduction (home port of Philly for tax purposes). We raced her around SoCal for several years and then she was sold to somebody in SF who did next to nothing with her for a couple years and finally sold her to the current owner to become Jaguar. Believe she's looking for a new home again now.

Great boat, lots of fun to race once we figured out how to get all the performance out of her we could.

Silent Bob and I are in this photo.

2020-04-11_181233.jpg

• Like 2

Forgot to mention we raced against Shockwave a lot. Great racing but better dock parties with the tower speakers and the Shockettes. An occasional rum libation tossed in as well.

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, tizak said:

Forgot to mention we raced against Shockwave a lot. Great racing but better dock parties with the tower speakers and the Shockettes. An occasional rum libation tossed in as well.

Yea, wish I was young again. These stories makes me feel younger. More of this.

20 hours ago, LordBooster said:

You don’t want that one.She was sunk at the dock in the late 80s.Had some delam  in the bow in the 90s.First name on boat was main bear then Gunabarra.

• Like 1
On 5/27/2021 at 3:15 AM, LordBooster said:

DIAMOND GBR 6498 One off Quarter Tonner, designed by Ed Dubois, built by West Marine UK in -84

Kan vara en bild av båtracing och utomhus

https://de.boats.com/segelboote/1984-west-marine-quarter-ton-7256617/?fbclid=IwAR27bEAc5Z590ZJrSTcYQqW48IJdkkBnDjb_exWoaHAqSMJ862HoPsEdvcA

Looks like a sister to Graeme "Joyful" Jones 'Quartermaster' that won the 1983 QT Worlds here in Melbourne.

(I think it was actually the '82 worlds but it was sailed here in the Australian summer in early 1983) 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Looks like a sister to Graeme "Joyful" Jones 'Quartermaster' that won the 1983 QT Worlds here in Melbourne.

It reminds me of this ad:

Merlin quarter-tonner designed by Stephen Jones -88

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1988/custom-sj27-quarter-tonner-3714351/?utm_source=newsnow&utm_medium=paid-feed&utm_campaign=rubrikk_group&fbclid=IwAR3XiFUgXasxSmPGKHwSakBtg1Cfbycg1Id_6PmVm1l4O3Wv3uRt8dCI9hQ

146937629_10222102307419014_3406867087567718415_n.jpg

All carbon in '76? AFAIK the only non-aerospace use for it back then was Formula one and it was just starting to be used even there.

If it really is it must have cost as much as a conventional Maxi - anyone who thinks carbon is expensive now...

• Like 1