Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Having resurrected an 1104 myself I had a look at the ad. Interesing deck nonskid - faux teak. Who knew? So this points to a UK builder picking up the design. Anyone remember back that far or have any idea how many were built?

No way the 1104 will be carbon but it might have had some carbon reinforcement along the way. I see the plaques showed it did the Solent circuit around 1990. Doesn't look like it has been touched since then though. It would be a great IRC bandit rebuild for someone. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was an odd time the late IOR period. Fantastic fleets, great racing and many beautiful looking boats that were absolute cunts of things to sail. Back them most  owners actually knew how to sail and

Having renovated an IOR 1-tonner, I feel obliged to point out that there are way cheaper ways to get a tidy boat on to a start line

My old Two Tonner HEATHER designed for and built by John Buchan. HEATHER is now a live aboard cruising boat in south Puget Sound.

Posted Images

On 5/28/2021 at 9:37 AM, SPORTSCAR said:

Looks like a sister to Graeme "Joyful" Jones 'Quartermaster' that won the 1983 QT Worlds here in Melbourne.

(I think it was actually the '82 worlds but it was sailed here in the Australian summer in early 1983) 

Before ot got hit by lightning on its mooring at st kilda

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A long way from the landfill! My boat up here in Vancouver taken this past Saturday. 1979 Spencer 34, one of five built. https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/spencer-34

 

image.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jmacsails said:

Not sure if the pic uploaded earlier

Bloop1.jpg

Spencer 34 Coho in full blooper mode in English Bay.  Perennial winner in local PHRF for pretty much ever since I can remember.

Designed by the late Vlad Plavsic.  Sistership to Spearhead which was competitive at the '78 3/4T Worlds in Victoria.  Not good enough for a podium finish, but did quite well.  Nice looking boats.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Spencer 34 Coho in full blooper mode in English Bay.  Perennial winner in local PHRF for pretty much ever since I can remember.

Designed by the late Vlad Plavsic.  Sistership to Spearhead which was competitive at the '78 3/4T Worlds in Victoria.  Not good enough for a podium finish, but did quite well.  Nice looking boats.  

Yea, really nice looking. Found some more info:

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/spencer-34?fbclid=IwAR0s1ue2HXdeqcMdbb7IM_Cy6HM3vz3h44Mm0-CZ8hk2jg9Bk10MoU_83K4

https://sailboat.guide/spencer/34?fbclid=IwAR2jLVV7w5RbhHw4S5OipgK3el2HmkGpROh2d6AvU8HNSn9quJbUi0H4auI

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LordBooster said:

Jerry Jeff Walker used to sing of so many likeable bullshitters and Vlad was one of the greatest examples

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Has all the best IOR features - engine in the bow with 12' shaft running through bearings in the bilge, T cockpit, double foreguys. The 41 year old gelcoat still takes a fantastic shine. The engine weight forward and fairly fine entry do not help running in 20+kts. Foredeck is mostly submerged. Sketchiest 9mph you will ever do.

Coho2.jpg

Coho1.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, LordBooster said:

Like I was going to say: Coho was a 1979? That's not right. The Spencer 34's were built for the 1978 3/4 tons world's in Victoria. I was there and competed with our Mull aluminium 3/4 tonner. It was out of EHYC and built at W.A. Thom at the bottom of Fell St. in North Vancouver. Which I helped build.   

006 (1280x902) (2).jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

Like I was going to say: Coho was a 1979? That's not right. The Spencer 34's were built for the 1978 3/4 tons world's in Victoria. I was there and competed with our Mull aluminium 3/4 tonner. It was out of EHYC and built at W.A. Thom at the bottom of Fell St. in North Vancouver. Which I helped build.   

006 (1280x902) (2).jpg

 

59 minutes ago, jmacsails said:

1979 is what Grant says...and he built it. Coho was not around for the 1978 Worlds, however neither was I!

You're both right.  Sailboatdata and other such web-sites say 1981 - but that is wrong in either case.

I believe the first built was Spearhead for the 1978 3/4T Worlds in Victoria.

Coho however was built in 1979.

North Sails article about the boat and Brandlmayer: https://www.northsails.com/sailing/en/loft-news/customer-spotlight-coho

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasa 360 one-tonner from -81 designed by Leif Ängermark

Kan vara en bild av natur och jordens vatten

https://www.blocket.se/annons/stockholm/wasa_360/95937746?fbclid=IwAR0EHOqjuAdXWUg2CvnBlwG92YmzIus2m3OsTvxjMfU2OcHJxRGN7onhaWo

http://www.morck.no/Wasa/Wasa%20360%20-red.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1wx913wv_m8KTVRyTd72lQA3vytnkKtnNB_baYPBy_BxchiCNN1fRtjoI

Google translate of link above: "Wasa 360 was launched in 1980, and with her
made the designer Leif Ängermark one
breach of the applicable IOR rule. It was
no simple equation he would solve. For Leif
was the narrower concept the ideal,
but IOR demanded something completely different. With Wasa
410 Leif had taken the first step towards one
more compact sea cruisers, now they were adapted
the hull lines further to be able to
compete better in IOR. He kept
also its comparatively narrower hull and
low displacement, nor does it matter
encouraged by the IOR; Wasa 360 displaces
around 5 tons, which was low for a 36-footer.
To make the Wasa 360 measure in as one
one-ton - the then popular class with
boats around 36-37 feet that race scratch
in among others One Ton Cup - must the sailing surface
limited. It affected the performance in easily
weather, but in healthier winds it was reduced
the sail surface not to any disadvantage. In total
However, the Wasa 360 found it difficult to assert itself in
the tough competition of one-tonners."
 
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 12 metre said:

 

You're both right.  Sailboatdata and other such web-sites say 1981 - but that is wrong in either case.

I believe the first built was Spearhead for the 1978 3/4T Worlds in Victoria.

Coho however was built in 1979.

North Sails article about the boat and Brandlmayer: https://www.northsails.com/sailing/en/loft-news/customer-spotlight-coho

And Grant is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, and the consummate gentleman.

Apart from what is mentioned above, Coho has a funny cockpit arrangement, in which the genoa trimmers sit aft of the helmsman.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Expat Canuck said:

Coho has a funny cockpit arrangement, in which the genoa trimmers sit aft of the helmsman.

The original Ericson-34 (Bruce King 3/4-tonner) had that configuration too.  Tiller steered, and the primaries were toward the aft end on the cockpit.

Funny story about the winch placement... on hull #1 (which became "Pizzazz"), the winches were on pillars built inboard of the cockpit coaming, presumably so that the grinder could stand directly behind the winch facing forward.  It wasn't until the first sail that they "realized" they had a problem - the tiller could only move through about 30 degrees of arc on either side of centerline before it smacked into one of those pillars.  beyond that you had to lift the tiller up and almost vertical to clear the winch to get more rudder angle.

Fun times.

e34.JPG.f50285aec96c18d8f19df23d8fe698a1.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2021 at 9:29 PM, jmacsails said:

Not sure if the pic uploaded earlier

Bloop1.jpg

One of them is listed for a giveaway price right now. No details but a Spencer build is unlikely to have any terminal construction issues.

https://www.usedvictoria.com/sail-boats/38950839100170217_934.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

no room in landfills for IOR boats (that can actually still be useful) as the landfills are full of windmill blades

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, sledracr said:

The original Ericson-34 (Bruce King 3/4-tonner) had that configuration too.  Tiller steered, and the primaries were toward the aft end on the cockpit.

Funny story about the winch placement... on hull #1 (which became "Pizzazz"), the winches were on pillars built inboard of the cockpit coaming, presumably so that the grinder could stand directly behind the winch facing forward.  It wasn't until the first sail that they "realized" they had a problem - the tiller could only move through about 30 degrees of arc on either side of centerline before it smacked into one of those pillars.  beyond that you had to lift the tiller up and almost vertical to clear the winch to get more rudder angle.

Fun times.

e34.JPG.f50285aec96c18d8f19df23d8fe698a1.JPG

Did they let someone besides Ernie give it a go before breaking out the sawzall?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Odiseus VI one-tonner designed by Ed Dubois. Built by Astilleros Nauta in Barcelona in 1980 in cold-molded wood, expired ad

Kan vara en bild av 1 person

https://foro.latabernadelpuerto.com/showthread.php?p=2155990&fbclid=IwAR1UdKmt-P2AFK58AJtbE_tdOporGHMZKEqvs9W8yotBi7OAJeEiRGaSrfU

historiedeshalfs: "Odiseus VI E 1839 Dubois 1980;"

 

In -79 the Ed Dubois design "Police Car" got famous. Odiseus VI was designed by Dubois 1980. Perhaps she was a smaller version of Police Car? Odiseus VI may have participated in the OTC -80 in Italy. A possible reason for not knowing if she was fast or not is this: From link above, signature: Davitxin: "That boat was pulled dry because it had a collision in a regatta.
I was on another of the participating boats, although I no longer remember almost anything. They took it out to press, and days later (it sounds to me that quite a few) they took it away by truck. I got a comment from a third party, that it had nothing to do with that boat, that they were going to take it to Galicia to repair it because the best carpenters on the riverbank were there ... and it turns out that I don't know how long after I had taken it from the club, I saw it under a tejavana (which will be the one in the photo, and that at the stern of the boat is open to the street) in an enclosure on one side of the road, and about 7kms? of the club. Come on, very close.
It also sounds to me that when I started to see it advertised it was for € 10,000 with the breakdown. I do not know if they have repaired it or it will remain the same"
 
Compared to Police Car (now being restored) the yacht Odiseus VI seems more distorted in the bustle region, see pic of Police Car below, SA Police Car: Kan vara en bild av utomhus 
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, some dude said:

Did they let someone besides Ernie give it a go before breaking out the sawzall?

Heh.  Ernie's boat-partner Don somebody-or-other got to touch the tiller for a second (I think that's him driving in the photo) but, no, the boat came back out of the water for surgery shortly after the photo shoot.

The production cockpit ended up with the primaries about 2 feet farther outboard than "as designed"1772618801_E34Xcockpit.thumb.JPG.15bd06433887ba38d02344dc9f9a9aac.JPG.
 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lord Booster, thanks for the daily IOR fix, it helps me keep up the stoke on the Ranger, mini ton restoration. " The older I get the better it was."

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Checkmate of Hollywood, Peterson 50' in Aussie Assault

Kan vara en bild av jordens vatten

https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/200718/Checkmate-launches-Aussie-Assault-at-P2P?fbclid=IwAR1cJR_fFyBgRV14FXjN3fRlcAulGLj88vjNKVfxH2e1YPLLCiU4d_3sXHY

"She was lighter and with wider stern sections than typical Peterson designs of the time, and aimed at doing well in the light air downwind races to Mexico on the US West Coast.", see: https://rbsailing.blogspot.com/2017/12/checkmate-peterson-50.html?fbclid=IwAR0nXPWFQUAcB35C7z9IrOLa8ZMP2AgpHo5jVxCKgPGmYhip8Zp87gDtqFs

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sail12m said:

CA6D2F67-FA3F-4E92-B2A3-C49DD8CA4809.jpeg

Which Morgan is that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mrming said:

FYI IOR fans, the Quarter Ton cup is on right now in Cowes - results here: https://www.halsail.com/Result/Public/50080

More turbos than the world rally championship, but it’s still cool.

So far Olivia Dowling is in the lead at the QTC with Catch designed by Philippe Briand: From histoiredeshalfs: “CATCH, GBR 502 à jour au: juin 2019 1985 plan BRIAND, construit en kevlar. LOA: 7.73m, Beam: 3.01m.”

Ingen fotobeskrivning tillgänglig.

From Vice Admiral’s Cup: “Niall commented after racing: "I made the mistake of tacking on Olivia in the first race and that obviously got her going, because it was the last time we got anywhere near her for the rest of the day!”", see:

https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/237825/RORC-Vice-Admirals-Cup-day-2?fbclid=IwAR0kcw6C_v0MEHxQ6DYR-WvWxT6xNN8mlzODHPKuIbsYUWTbXJqZt_eRc1M

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

X-Yachts 50 One Off from -89, ex Andelsbanken IV, designed by Niels Jeppesen

Kan vara en bild av utomhus

https://www.yachtall.com/de/boot/x-yachts-50-one-off-x-yachts-374746?fbclid=IwAR0alewEhd6LRYOhUUVaGPXTn2UGiRTlqAFB08G_qFoX2kdhNKqvYsfZPi8

"Denmark had realised the potential of the 50-footers early and were quick to secure the German 50 Container in its team alongside Andelsbanken IV - this was a potent combination (along with their Farr One Tonner 4K) that nearly secured Denmark's first ever win in the series. However, the loss of Andelsbanken IV's forestay in the fifth race saw the team drop to second place overall.", "The Danish 50-footer Andelsbanken IV, a Jeppeson design finished sixth overall, and is seen here to windward of the top overall yacht, Jamarella", see:

https://rbsailing.blogspot.com/2013/10/admirals-cup-1989.html?fbclid=IwAR3LmD5HqBsVS60lFlUHCoUJJtO5jFXiNOdwloeCtxHz-ZYtxae0-CnMlYM

Kan vara en bild av båtracing, segelbåt, utomhus och text där det står ”D 1245 D 180”

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LordBooster said:

X-Yachts 50 One Off from -89, ex Andelsbanken IV, designed by Niels Jeppesen

Kan vara en bild av utomhus

https://www.yachtall.com/de/boot/x-yachts-50-one-off-x-yachts-374746?fbclid=IwAR0alewEhd6LRYOhUUVaGPXTn2UGiRTlqAFB08G_qFoX2kdhNKqvYsfZPi8

"Denmark had realised the potential of the 50-footers early and were quick to secure the German 50 Container in its team alongside Andelsbanken IV - this was a potent combination (along with their Farr One Tonner 4K) that nearly secured Denmark's first ever win in the series. However, the loss of Andelsbanken IV's forestay in the fifth race saw the team drop to second place overall.", "The Danish 50-footer Andelsbanken IV, a Jeppeson design finished sixth overall, and is seen here to windward of the top overall yacht, Jamarella", see:

https://rbsailing.blogspot.com/2013/10/admirals-cup-1989.html?fbclid=IwAR3LmD5HqBsVS60lFlUHCoUJJtO5jFXiNOdwloeCtxHz-ZYtxae0-CnMlYM

Kan vara en bild av båtracing, segelbåt, utomhus och text där det står ”D 1245 D 180”

For a 30 year old race boat, that thing looks really clean. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Schnappi said:

For a 30 year old race boat, that thing looks really clean. 

They seem to have renovated her since circa 2015: "I'm Riccardo i have buy this boat few days ago! Now it is in Italy near Trieste and need some work! We start in Genuary with a refit. If somebody have infotmation about this boat please contact me tosettoriccardo@hotmail.it! thanks", see comment at: https://shockwave40.blogspot.com/2012/11/andelsbanken-iv-1989-admirals-cup.html?fbclid=IwAR08d9J9K30DipBrpiFx2JiMH-Dr2B7kvuuAg8UGsaKdU5YuVykqPWYJpnc

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not exactly an IOR landfill - but at $6900, it sounds like it would be.

Actually a not bad looking J/N 39 (One Ton) advertised here in SA Classifieds.  

Looks decent inside - but as usual I suspect a tired sail inventory.

Looks like the boats name is Encore - if anyone is familiar with her.

https://sailinganarchy.com/advert/j-n-39-one-ton/

Encore.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2021 at 7:11 PM, SloopJonB said:

BLT: The inside story of the Quarter Ton Cup winner’s 10,000-hour refit

The worlds only $million 1/4 Tonner?

HTF do you spend 10K hours restoring a 1/4 Pounder?

Try building a new house, with the old house in the way.

But badcrazy to do it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gewoon ik said:

Try building a new house, with the old house in the way.

But badcrazy to do it. 

My first restoration was a functional but badly neglected 1/4 Pounder and I didn't have a fraction of those hours in it.

 

deck (3).jpg

Picture 093.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, LordBooster said:

Cost of ownership?

5 carbon sails worth $25K each and 3 mainsails with one carbon worth $40K.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

My first restoration was a functional but badly neglected 1/4 Pounder and I didn't have a fraction of those hours in it.

 

deck (3).jpg

Picture 093.jpg

Pretty well known boat in these parts. George was my dentist too. I didn't know him from sailing until after the fact. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

My first restoration was a functional but badly neglected 1/4 Pounder and I didn't have a fraction of those hours in it.

 

deck (3).jpg

Picture 093.jpg

But yours still has the orginal deckhouse, cockpit layout, all lines on deck, same keel, rudder, ... Not been stripped to the shell and completely rebuild from within.

You repaired the house, not made a new one, with the old house in the way.

Nevertheless. Nice looking boat. Bit strange that it has a central cockpit. Whats underneed the hatch on the aftdeck?

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gewoon ik said:

But yours still has the orginal deckhouse, cockpit layout, all lines on deck, same keel, rudder, ... Not been stripped to the shell and completely rebuild from within.

You repaired the house, not made a new one, with the old house in the way.

Nevertheless. Nice looking boat. Bit strange that it has a central cockpit. Whats underneed the hatch on the aftdeck?

 

The cockpit forward like that kept the crew weight centralized - very important with such fine ends.

The aft hatch has the engine panel in it and lazarette space which was kept bare for the above mentioned weight reason

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

The cockpit forward like that kept the crew weight centralized - very important with such fine ends.

The aft hatch has the engine panel in it and lazarette space which was kept bare for the above mentioned weight reason

makes sense.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2021 at 5:48 PM, Maxx Baqustae said:

Pretty well known boat in these parts. George was my dentist too. I didn't know him from sailing until after the fact. 

Definitely, did a lot of races against George, always fun at the bar too.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LordBooster said:

Was lucky to sail in Bydand, a R37 in Seattle w/ Bill Buchan, we built all our own sails at Buchan Sails, about doubled the size of the rudder and put a big honking long tiller on it so we could drive it downwind w/ boom/pole in the water alternating.  Won a lot of races with that boat.  Miss Gary Mull, he contributed a lot to the IOR days with innovative and very competitive designs, both production and custom.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Grinde half-tonner designed by Peter Bruun

Kan vara en bild av jordens vatten

https://www.blocket.se/annons/goteborg/grinde/96108771?fbclid=IwAR1JmaJNKmgPgGcKqGd-GnALXufX0X1XBEPHW2E79dedUl2nIHAGZ4hpL58

https://www.sailguide.com/batfakta/grinde?fbclid=IwAR00NCssncIQchwDCHtA7piQ7SmEf5duTuC2r7ToTqGBoyr1S4DbyRpyCKc

"Grinde" "was designed in 1973 as a spacious family-friendly boat and for racing for the IOR halftone class. It showed its superb sailing skills with good placements in the Scandinavian Half Ton Cup and Skaw Race", see: https://grinde.wordpress.com/grinde/data-om-grinden/?fbclid=IwAR0CQY2XYoJHJgSeI9OtyairXvMEtPANhmvFVVLR0TruvuNgAM8TUH8QIkM

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, LordBooster said:

Grinde half-tonner designed by Peter Bruun

Kan vara en bild av jordens vatten

https://www.blocket.se/annons/goteborg/grinde/96108771?fbclid=IwAR1JmaJNKmgPgGcKqGd-GnALXufX0X1XBEPHW2E79dedUl2nIHAGZ4hpL58

https://www.sailguide.com/batfakta/grinde?fbclid=IwAR00NCssncIQchwDCHtA7piQ7SmEf5duTuC2r7ToTqGBoyr1S4DbyRpyCKc

"Grinde" "was designed in 1973 as a spacious family-friendly boat and for racing for the IOR halftone class. It showed its superb sailing skills with good placements in the Scandinavian Half Ton Cup and Skaw Race", see: https://grinde.wordpress.com/grinde/data-om-grinden/?fbclid=IwAR0CQY2XYoJHJgSeI9OtyairXvMEtPANhmvFVVLR0TruvuNgAM8TUH8QIkM

 

Sorry, but that one has negative row away factor.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Grinde is a great little boat.  Rated half ton back in the day and regularly beat all of the hot boats of the time.  My 1975 Fastnet ride.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the opportunity not once but three times to buy a Grinde. They are a real sleeper and way faster than one would ever expect. Great sea boats to boot! I still kick myself for not having bought one of the three.

    First one had the liveaboard owner die on it. A few days in the tropic sun before he was missed at the local bar and it went cheap but I think the stench would persist forever.

    Second one was owed (and lived aboard) by a ballsy gal that worked for Island Yachts, a small charter outfit in Red Hook on St Thomas. She had done a great job repowering and refitting with good gear that was probably bought through the charter company. I really should have made an offer on that one but the asking priced seemed high compared to the earlier one. 

    The third Grinde I unearthed was in Mississippi and had been owned by John Dane III of Olympic Fame (Southern Yacht Club, New Orleans) and was named after his mother. It had been sold to a guy who lived in Arkansas and rarely got down to the boat. He sent me a lot of information on the boat and even its own burgee and told me that he had much of the boats gear in storage somewhere on the Gulf Coast but his son in Pensacola would round up all that stuff and meet me at the boat in Biloxi and I could buy the boat on the spot for what seemed a reasonable price. On what had to be the hottest, most humid day of the year, I found the boat in the marina and saw evidence of some damage to standing rigging and stanchions from a hurricane earlier in the year but then when I opened up the hatch and went below I was shocked at water 6 inches over the floorboards and the interior was just trashed. I pumped it our and checked the engine for water in the oil and transmission as it still could be turned over by hand but the whole state of the fine little boat was appalling! I would have been better off buying the boat in the Islands with the stiff turning into mush. I was stood up by the owners son and when I called him after a long day driving over to Miss and told him that the boat was very near sinking when I got there he just made up lots of lame excuses an blaming everyone from the son to the mechanic and the harbormaster. I dropped my offer considerably but would not pay a dime until all the boat gear had been rounded up by the son or whoever and the guy just cried like I figured he would. 

   A week later, the next Hurricane wiped out the marina and the boat had not gotten moved despite orders that all vessels vacate the storm and the owner got notified he was responsible for the removal of the boat sunken in its slip. The bastard tried to tell the marina management I had bought the boat from him!

    I would still probably buy one but they are few and far between here in the states.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, P_Wop said:

Grinde is a great little boat.  Rated half ton back in the day and regularly beat all of the hot boats of the time.  My 1975 Fastnet ride.

After rounding the Rock, we put up the only kite we had, cleated it off, and five of us retired below to dinner, leaving the nipper (John Lawrence, now a successful yacht broker) at the helm.  Roast leg of lamb, potatoes and veg, and a bottle of Beaujolais.  Bleatings from Johnny on deck were met with "You'll have some if there's any left."

In Feb 76 Richard Scott-Hughes went out to Holland to deliver back a red one for John's dad.  It was frozen into the Dutch canal, and the only way to open the diesel deck filler was to piss on it.  

The single pot Bukh engine didn't have the ergs to get us through the ice, so yours truly hung onto the pulpit and jumped up and down on the ice in my boots as a human icebreaker while RSH gunned the engine.

Happy days.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

32' Pearson Custom 32 SCREECH

Kan vara en bild av jordens vatten

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/60535?fbclid=IwAR0C0gHR_bZQlv1tk8oGusqRLrEZPZ252lFxxzapaeRsvd45Wrq_N-PrxUQ

About designer Bill Shaw: "He joined the renowned firm of Sparkman & Stephens Naval Architects and Marine Engineers (S&S) in October 1952 as a designer. In 1961, he became a manager of Products of Asia, and was the chief designer of the America’s Cup defender Columbia.", see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Shaw_(yacht_designer)?fbclid=IwAR1BBD_GqKY-hmcLqmStzwUv30HymtU6PLXnd2_4IN9QxuNS1zeGTDnwwTU

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, LordBooster said:

Yes, and a deep hull. Almost like a design by Ted Hood.

 

I inquired about this boat several years ago and got more info on it.  Neat boat but the cost of getting it down to FL at the time was pretty hefty and I think the price was higher and the total cost exceeded my budget.  Shaw went on to design the Pearson 40, another boat I like.  Yeah, it sort of reminded me of the Ted Hood "Robin".

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LordBooster said:

9681 miles air miles to Caney Creek Lake, I thought it might be a bit further.  Anyway, visiting Australia is probably not on my list of things that is going to happen much less transporting a boat back to Louisiana.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Runners, checkstays, probably an ior keel, ripe for having a serious wad of cash thrown into it by someone with more money then sense

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cill123 said:

Runners, checkstays, probably an ior keel, ripe for having a serious wad of cash thrown into it by someone with more money then sense

Just got this pic from Lu Dess of the beauty:

Kan vara en bild av utomhus och text där det står ”Ravenna Diva ITA 11015”

Link to post
Share on other sites