18 hours ago, cill123 said:

She is lovely looking but ive a bias when it comes to Ceccarelli tons. She's very similar to to Per Elisa and his 1/4s. That keel looks very light aswell 

and that is a bad thing because? Per Elisa is sailing good.

10 hours ago, Crash said:

I do too (the restorations and boats saved) but we need the equivalent of Vintage Car Racing (The half ton and 1/4 ton racing in Europe under IRC is a bit too spendy IMHO.  If there is no venue to attract owners to, and to convince those owners to spend some cash on the boats, most end up ignored or turned into some crap liveaboard by a non-sailor.  There just aren't enough Sloops to go around...

Not everybody in europe is transforming their 1/2 and 1/4 tonner to an IRC killer.

I have sailed halftoncup now a couple of times, with an unmodified and we did not bad. Waverider is still unmodified (discuss ;) ) and they did great last halftoncup (seems like a long time ago already :( ) 

We sail IRC and we do not bad. The group we are in, is too small, the other boats are in the top end of rating for the group, we are at the low end. So it is more a complain that there are not enough small boats sailing than you need to modify it.

If you want to sail for the win every time and always. Make sure you have some cash and really good sailers on board.

• Like 2
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was an odd time the late IOR period. Fantastic fleets, great racing and many beautiful looking boats that were absolute cunts of things to sail. Back them most  owners actually knew how to sail and

Having renovated an IOR 1-tonner, I feel obliged to point out that there are way cheaper ways to get a tidy boat on to a start line

Long time lurker and finally a participant in this awesome forum........my current project is bringing this Yankee 38 named Bullet (hull no. 1, sailed in the 1972 1-ton World Championships in Sydney A

Posted Images

Harold Warren at FB group IOR landfills?: "First boat I crewed on. Ron Holland 42 by Elephant. Pretty sure it did the 79 Fastnet as Lancer something or other. Probably found the landfill by now"

Hope not. What can we do for her, renovate? Signature doghouse at SA: "Awesome, thanks guys. This is why I like this place. It's good to see that IV an VI are still sailing. Last I heard V, which we renamed Prelude, was sitting on the hard in Charleston SC after dismasting on a delivery trip. That was about three owners after my father though.", see: 

Kan vara en bild av båtracing och segelbåt

41 minutes ago, LordBooster said:
On 6/14/2021 at 8:17 AM, LordBooster said:

Another beauty: Seaflyer (Seaply) 3:rd at QTC -78, designed by Paul Whiting

Available for restoration according to Peter Bailey: https://www.facebook.com/groups/203537404677541/permalink/320243619673585

I assume it's in Australia? IIRC last time I heard of Magic Bus, it was in California. The facebook post just repeats the links you provided, no actual ad for the boat or current info

FB- Doug

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

Rockwork crock o shit? Yup - it was at the worlds too.  A Donny build for a RVYC owner. I friend owned out of the hole in Tsawwassen. I raced with him for a few years on their Thursday nite racing. The club was swallowed up for condos as it was on First Nations land. My buddy was the PHRF guy for TYC. I haven't seen him for donkey years. Where the boat is now who knows but that sort thing ends up on the island. Remember the 1 tonner "Kelea". It was Nannymo as a live-aboard!  

20150606_094014.jpg

The transformation from nicely kept but seldom-used racer/cruiser to fucked-up nightmare happened while she was docked at NYC.  We all just shook our heads in disbelief at what was happening.  What can you do when you watch a boat being butchered?

In the absence of a rescue, she'll be in the bin before long.

22 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I assume it's in Australia? IIRC last time I heard of Magic Bus, it was in California. The facebook post just repeats the links you provided, no actual ad for the boat or current info

I agree, I guess one must take contact with Peter Bailey.

47 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

The Bus was shipped down to NZ a few years and was magnificently restored.  Article on it here: https://boatingnz.co.nz/the-magics-back/

Magic Bus.jpg

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, 12 metre said:
51 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

The Bus was shipped down to NZ a few years and was magnificently restored.  Article on it here: https://boatingnz.co.nz/the-magics-back/

Cool, thanks... had not heard of any results so I should have guessed it got shipped back home. Resto job looks glorious!

FB- Doug

• Like 1
2 hours ago, 12 metre said:

The Bus was shipped down to NZ a few years and was magnificently restored.  Article on it here

Nice, one could hope for the same with Savoy Truffle, dealt with on this site some months ago.

23 minutes ago, LordBooster said:

Nice, one could hope for the same with Savoy Truffle, dealt with on this site some months ago.

That's a bit of a pipe dream.  Magic Bus is probably the only Whiting that could be considered an icon. Savoy Truffle is just another Whiting with little or no history.

Not that it doesn't deserve it, or that a boat has to be iconic to be restoration worthy.  The Farr HT Swuzzlebubble is an example of a boat (with at least a bit of history to her) that was excellently restored -  albeit finished in more of a Gunboat Rangiriri styled graphics than her original 70's stripes.

Swuzzlebubble.jpeg

Gunboat Rangiriri.jpg

• Like 3
41 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

Not that it doesn't deserve it, or that a boat has to be iconic to be restoration worthy.

I agree: Some results of Savoy Truffle:

JANUARY MIDWINTER RESULTS: "DIVISION iV — 1) Savoy Truffle, 1/2-tonner, Peggy Hickman; 2) Madhatter, Wylie Wabbtt. Colin Moore; 3) Volafile Agent, Moore 24. J.J. Durrett.", see: https://issuu.com/latitude38/docs/latitude38116funse?fbclid=IwAR0OkXv3ESHxZFSnCzVV_aUBWnzY1ZtSu3xgUfiLpJO7cq-ijDU1l8z40Mw

Wheeler Regatta 1987: "IOR DIVISION B — 1) Annalise, Wylie 34, Paul Altman; 2) Savoy Truffle, Custom Half-Ton, Peg Hickman; 3) Farr Out, Farr 30, Jerry Sharp.", see: https://issuu.com/latitude38/docs/latitude38118aunse?fbclid=IwAR1S81g1-LU_6808-AiUIUdhOlevzNXoQnD4vIAQoCZoNyW7dtoVf2GPQA0

Infinity, which has been sitting right next to the cloverleaf on-ramp to the highway in Richmond for at least a decade, is finally up for sale.

47’ Ron Holland IOR - $10,000 (richmond / point / annex)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/richmond-47-ron-holland-ior/7337140639.html

Recently foreclosed by boat yard, must sell. 47’ Ron Holland design in good condition. racing interior was removed for repair after an accident. Hull and deck in very good condition. Mast and standing rigging intact. Engine has not been started for 8 years. No sails. Have a look! Best offer.

00f0f_giJznURnjfOz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

• Like 1

Black Magic designed by Ed Dubois. The new paint job was the final stage of a total refurbishment. Prior to the new white coat the boat was stripped right back inside and out, sanded then repainted, and the mast revamped

Ingen fotobeskrivning tillgänglig.

"Black Magic is a Dubois 40 built in the early 1980s in Victoria for a Sandringham Yacht Club member who had ambitions of qualifying for the Admiral’s Cup Australian team. The boat missed the cut and sailed for Ireland instead.", see: https://www.sail-world.com/Canada/Festival-of-Sails-Southern-Black-Magic-heading-to-Geelong/-128894?source=google.se&fbclid=IwAR22JlFcrVuwDy8g4Toi2MJ_w8424ujhlbWEWApQtPnBRXP12N1iB5v2U4Y

https://www.facebook.com/blackmagicsailing/posts/the-mighty-ed-dubois-ior-40-black-magic-is-reluctantly-for-sale-very-good-condit/1059470707549608/

1 hour ago, Alan H said:

Infinity, which has been sitting right next to the cloverleaf on-ramp to the highway in Richmond for at least a decade, is finally up for sale.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/richmond-47-ron-holland-ior/7337140639.html

Recently foreclosed by boat yard, must sell. 47’ Ron Holland design in good condition. racing interior was removed for repair after an accident. Hull and deck in very good condition. Mast and standing rigging intact. Engine has not been started for 8 years. No sails. Have a look! Best offer.

Is the deck hardware part of it? Huge expense if not.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Alan H said:

Maybe a bunch of us West Coast guys should form a consortium to restore Inifinity to her former glory?  She was a absolute beauty back in the day! :wub:

image.thumb.png.4ffef178eb6a0e78fbac36bc00e64bdf.png

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, Crash said:

Maybe a bunch of us West Coast guys should form a consortium to restore Inifinity to her former glory?  She was a absolute beauty back in the day! :wub:

agreed. and a very spendy main sail.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Crash said:

Except she was flush decked back in her day.  Current CL photo shows a wedge cabin and coamings.  So need to junk those or rather should junk those and who knows who did the mods and how well they were done.  Probably end up building an entire new flush deck.  

It's a nice dream - but still just a dream unless someone has really deep pockets.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, 12 metre said:

That's a bit of a pipe dream.  Magic Bus is probably the only Whiting that could be considered an icon. Savoy Truffle is just another Whiting with little or no history.

Not that it doesn't deserve it, or that a boat has to be iconic to be restoration worthy.  The Farr HT Swuzzlebubble is an example of a boat (with at least a bit of history to her) that was excellently restored -  albeit finished in more of a Gunboat Rangiriri styled graphics than her original 70's stripes.

Swuzzlebubble.jpeg

Gunboat Rangiriri.jpg

what is nicely done on swuzzlebuble is that they more or less kept the original lines, also of the deckhouse (it is lowered) and not a cut job, with a small raised entryhatch to the insides.

But a fast boat, sails high as well, seen her 2 times on halftoncup sailing and she was pointing higher than the others.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Probably end up building an entire new flush deck.  

Which is just as well as all the fittings (traveler, genoa tracks etc) will need to be beefed up to deal with the increased loading from the carbon sails you'll need to buy!

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Expat Canuck said:

Which is just as well as all the fittings (traveler, genoa tracks etc) will need to be beefed up to deal with the increased loading from the carbon sails you'll need to buy!

Lol...

Plus the increased dynamic loading from the dyneema cordage you'll need to supply.

Although I suppose if you want to do an authentic resto and not worry about pickle dishes, then you could go old school for the sails and lines.  Then the modern fabrics wouldn't be an issue.

• Like 1
On 5/31/2021 at 11:09 PM, 12 metre said:

Spencer 34 Coho in full blooper mode in English Bay.  Perennial winner in local PHRF for pretty much ever since I can remember.

Designed by the late Vlad Plavsic.  Sistership to Spearhead which was competitive at the '78 3/4T Worlds in Victoria.  Not good enough for a podium finish, but did quite well.  Nice looking boats.  

Was out last Saturday with the blooper up for a lap around Bowen. Pretty sure they DNFd but had a good run until the breeze died.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

Lol...

Plus the increased dynamic loading from the dyneema cordage you'll need to supply.

Although I suppose if you want to do an authentic resto and not worry about pickle dishes, then you could go old school for the sails and lines.  Then the modern fabrics wouldn't be an issue.

Exactly.

although I think one might have a hard time sourcing the kevlar needed for the aft 1/3 to 2/3 of the sails

• Like 1
19 hours ago, LordBooster said:

IF you look at it from the waterline down flipped on it's side it just looks like a whale.

Boats like these are great if you want hull speed only.

• Like 1
On 6/15/2021 at 5:06 PM, Steam Flyer said:

Wayne Edwards: "Remember seeing Seaply on a trailer at Mooloolaba yc car park as a wide eyed kid on a pushy.Years later knew a bloke in Cairns with a Whiting Bus 1/4 tonner. Great boats."

Wayne Edwards: "Peter Bailey Peter Bailey Peter Bailey where is she now?

Peter Bailey: "she has been sitting in a paddock on the NSW central coast for 10 years"

Peter Bailey: "Available for restoration if anyone’s interested, needs a lot of work but generally OK"

See: https://www.facebook.com/groups/203537404677541/permalink/320243619673585

Rapier Special designed by Claes Nettelbladt

Kan vara en bild av utomhus

https://www.blocket.se/annons/skane/radier_special/96163549?fbclid=IwAR1i4J3iCSTTZ9NogNBhKghP6mePNFAyFaNm7BSTEwyVZKYqQLpb32aGgJE

Google translate of link above: "Rapier 25 which is rebuilt to 28 feet extended in the stern rebuilt ruffled roof raised so it is about 175 cm in height inside. Inboard engine sailpower 9.9 hp
Log sonar digital compass chartplotter
Autopilot heater sink with fresh water tank 65 liters plus seawater inlet for sink etc. Lots of sails three mainsails a new
Most of the seals in the picture are the oldest genoa available G1 G2 G3 hard wind jib
2 x spins plus a lot of other equipment
Boggie trailer that rolls nicely on the road
There is a scaffolding and tarp the boat is in good condition the boat is sold due. Lack of time"

What Was It - Western LIS nostalgia style:

I thought it was alien when I saw it as a half pint!

Sorry, can't find a pic or it would have answered my question... but it was an 70/80's 35 - 40ish' IOR out of American Yacht Club (I think the owner was Dr. Deck - back when we respected our elders :-) ) called Jonathan Livingston Seagull with dark blue hull, flush deck, unpainted, swept spreader, diagonal, mast head rigged with adjustable headstay (just like on my old 2000 I-14 #1150!) and of course a giant tiller!

I did my first junior overnight race on it. My turn at the helm came deep into the night, heading east out of W LIS, upwind, light air so 100% wardrobe, I'm to leeward helming/pushing the large tiller while I sailed straight into my first midnight moon rise. 

I was 13 or 14 years old.... 

Who designed JLS?

20 hours ago, Crash said:

Nope, I'm out.:lol:

Infinity_roll.jpg

1 hour ago, Liquid said:

What Was It - Western LIS nostalgia style:

I thought it was alien when I saw it as a half pint!

Sorry, can't find a pic or it would have answered my question... but it was an 70/80's 35 - 40ish' IOR out of American Yacht Club (I think the owner was Dr. Deck - back when we respected our elders :-) ) called Jonathan Livingston Seagull with dark blue hull, flush deck, unpainted, swept spreader, diagonal, mast head rigged with adjustable headstay (just like on my old 2000 I-14 #1150!) and of course a giant tiller!

I did my first junior overnight race on it. My turn at the helm came deep into the night, heading east out of W LIS, upwind, light air so 100% wardrobe, I'm to leeward helming/pushing the large tiller while I sailed straight into my first midnight moon rise. 

I was 13 or 14 years old.... 

Who designed JLS?

A bit of a wild guess...but I think it was SA's own YM Tanton

When you mentioned Johnathan Livingson Seagull, Yves Marie was the first name that popped in mind.

Then you mentioned swept back rig and back then the only swept back rigs in that size IOR boat were B&R rigs.

I knew Tanton's Love Machine design had a B&R rig - he was probably one of the few to design IOR boats with B&R rigs.

Below is a drawing of Love Machine - see if it bears a resemblance to JLS.  Also had to include the famous SORC photo of Love Machine.   The swept back B&R rig is very evident in that photo.

And in a now you see him - now you don't moment. Y.M said he is on the rail in the blue gear just as the wave is about to hit - then disappears under a wall of water as the wave crashes over LM.

post-32003-0-24427300-1350738005.jpg

Love Machine  2- Tom Leutwiler.jpg

Love Machine prior.jpg

• Like 2

I can never explain why I am so drawn to these boats.  They dig fantastic holes in the water, their run is always humped and never smooth and straight, They are noted to be especially good at rounding up and wiping out (Our little Santana is guilty of everything I have described, except she is optimized for light wind and has none of the IOR bumps.) 

But everytime I see one, I am drawn to the shape to the style.  I jsut like em 

• Like 7

When I am restoring my  Mull mini ton, my budget constraints and Scottish nature have kept me honest about what I am trying to get out of this adventure.  I'm 71, and still doing boat yoga.  The guiding principal is slow boat fast.  If it has a pleasant groove and provides laughter to those who sail her then she is the jewel that a Ranger 22, named Froggy stored next to a Visalia turkey farm for God knows how long, can be.  As a retired compulsive boat builder my first impulse was to make it current with all the current stuff.  Instead we have chosen to keep the fun in and use the 70s spirit as much as possible.  When Gary Mull designed her, he said that he. wanted to keep fun as the guiding principal for its' core purpose.  Why would you not honor that?   Perhaps modern boats have lost this message.  We will see.  I'm  getting Skip Etchells to dust off his original sail designs, and we are doing it in full race heavy Dacron 4 sails. The running rigging is polyester[I did go multi color, because is so much easier to say grab the blue line] it looks cool.   All of the Schaefer blocks still work.  Now If I can just get the paddle wheel speedo to work.  I will be styling in my glassic plastic.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, 12 metre said:

A bit of a wild guess...but I think it was SA's own YM Tanton

When you mentioned Johnathan Livingson Seagull, Yves Marie was the first name that popped in mind.

Then you mentioned swept back rig and back then the only swept back rigs in that size IOR boat were B&R rigs.

I knew Tanton's Love Machine design had a B&R rig - he was probably one of the few to design IOR boats with B&R rigs.

Below is a drawing of Love Machine - see if it bears a resemblance to JLS.  Also had to include the famous SORC photo of Love Machine.   The swept back B&R rig is very evident in that photo.

And in a now you see him - now you don't moment. Y.M said he is on the rail in the blue gear just as the wave is about to hit - then disappears under a wall of water as the wave crashes over LM.

post-32003-0-24427300-1350738005.jpg

Love Machine  2- Tom Leutwiler.jpg

Love Machine prior.jpg

Sure looks like JLS!

I had no idea that love Machine might have been her sister ship!

• Like 1

B31 mk II half-tonner, renovation object. Designed by Bruno Boström and Jens Grandinsson

https://www.blocket.se/annons/stockholm/b31_renoveringsobjekt_med_ny_motor/94902172?fbclid=IwAR0j8UaLLLEsXNc4T_X2ICkbtQ5a4c-kW-98HHj-O00wadDlBFR2jSarA-Q

Google translate link above: "Started renovation object with new engine.
Much done but much left.
Located very nicely in the cradle that comes with it.
MK2
See pictures to form your own opinion.
New cushions inside are included, as well as some new parts such as sink, gas stove, toilet can be included.
Sails are the majority."
Signature Sam V about old half-tonners: "Afrodite 30, Calle Beyer-73 B31, Bruno Boström -73 Beason 31, Bernt Anderson -76 C&C 30E, Cuthbersson & Cassian-77 Compis 97, Bernt Anderson-79 Forgus 31, Lars Hedberg-74 Murena, Håkan Södergren-72 Player 31, Arne Söderbom-74", see: https://www.blur.se/2017/01/30/gamla-12-tonnare/?fbclid=IwAR17rWJpKeGTr-fxBRXETo-i55lkqTk8n626Xayh97CoEO86CzKsLX4A4XE

On 6/16/2021 at 5:58 PM, LordBooster said:

Rapier Special designed by Claes Nettelbladt

Kan vara en bild av utomhus

https://www.blocket.se/annons/skane/radier_special/96163549?fbclid=IwAR1i4J3iCSTTZ9NogNBhKghP6mePNFAyFaNm7BSTEwyVZKYqQLpb32aGgJE

Google translate of link above: "Rapier 25 which is rebuilt to 28 feet extended in the stern rebuilt ruffled roof raised so it is about 175 cm in height inside. Inboard engine sailpower 9.9 hp
Log sonar digital compass chartplotter
Autopilot heater sink with fresh water tank 65 liters plus seawater inlet for sink etc. Lots of sails three mainsails a new
Most of the seals in the picture are the oldest genoa available G1 G2 G3 hard wind jib
2 x spins plus a lot of other equipment
Boggie trailer that rolls nicely on the road
There is a scaffolding and tarp the boat is in good condition the boat is sold due. Lack of time"

"Scampi" looking.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, bridhb said:

"Scampi" looking.

Yea, This quarter-tonner has been extended to look more like a half-tonner. Anyway, the designer Cleas Nettelbladt is Swedish as Peter Norlin. Strangely the Scampi didn't get many half-tonners built on her concept in Sweden. But, the bow sections of this modded quarter-tonner comes rather close.

"Plum crazy" half-tonner designed by Ben Lexcen. "Plum Crazy" currently holds the Sydney-Hobart race record for the fastest yacht less than 9.5m

Kan vara en bild av jordens vatten

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/manly/sail-boats/plum-crazy/1275079371?fbclid=IwAR13fU_Uoe0toGgi0Dg3DVY1rlhkwpRgrngf265kElV9OQurwM50sl1o8bw

http://www.boatgen.com.au/Plum Crazy?image=998&fbclid=IwAR25cWMxxSuKC_STZWN0-xKc-jHTI7v_KaSRY1A78BX4j_YmCtdeiMtiZqw

Probably built by the same guy that built the Doug Peterson 3/4-tonner Impeccable: "Douglas Brooker is famous for his series of cold moulded timber yachts of strong yet light construction. These were the half-tonners Plum Crazy and Deviance; Hobart winning one-tonner Ceil III; three-quarter tonners Impeccable, Pazazz & Dancing Mouse: the 36ft Baden Design cruising yacht Pericles, Australian champion quarter-tonner Jiminy Cricket and his own design 42ft cruising yacht Touchwood.", see link above

Gambling 34 3/4-tonner designed by Jan Herman Linge

https://www.blocket.se/annons/skaraborg/norsk_offshore_klassiker_til_salu/96202196?fbclid=IwAR3FAuslmxPRoi9fvcxQ2vJB81JOWyXenM81Zs-RfLYRLfjJMcTx7UUToyw

"The Gambling was Linge's take on the IOR 3/4 tonner class, but the design never enjoyed the global success of the Yngling and Soling designs. It is however a very solidly constructed boat, sails brilliantly on most points of sail and hasn't yet displayed the "broach coach" characteristics that some 3/4 tonners are renowned for.", see: https://ellieandjohn.com/the-boat/?fbclid=IwAR0PgVR_Oc2phWBVmt5_LTKOoRDivDFFx0Fkp__N5wBBDbZmtduMWSW_J4A

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/gambling-34?fbclid=IwAR3uIWIWmeJu1nsFK1KFi5b0xP1ZEu-MycHkTjg_yQKqFnMvVryaVWhY9Cg

12 hours ago, LordBooster said:

Yea, This quarter-tonner has been extended to look more like a half-tonner. Anyway, the designer Cleas Nettelbladt is Swedish as Peter Norlin. Strangely the Scampi didn't get many half-tonners built on her concept in Sweden. But, the bow sections of this modded quarter-tonner comes rather close.

So big were the numbers of "Scampis" and Magnusson's "Ballad" built, that it might not have left room for anybody else?

• Like 1

TAKAI 29, half-tonner

Kan vara en bild av jordens vatten

https://jmty.jp/mie/sale-oth/article-h2m7d?fbclid=IwAR2fJATJuMfHJQPyTtm4X69YZtfp2U63ixxX-s_E5IMMbHM6wuyvjWOyiZg

Translate of link above: "TAKAI29 (29ft)
Mooring Marina: Sakishima Marina (Ise Shima)
Ship inspection deadline: Obtained two years ago
Engine: 1gm (normal operation)
Ship bottom: Considerable dirt (requires bottom cleaning)
Currently, I sometimes go to see the ship after maintenance I was only able to go to the marina, so
I would appreciate it if you could pick it up.
I think it is difficult to make a self-propelled round trip because the bottom of the ship is dirty.
(If you want to make a round trip, you may want to dock in in advance to clean the bottom of the ship and after painting.) The
engine also needs maintenance. Bilge will accumulate if left for a long time
due to insufficient adjustment of the cooling seawater of the stern tube or
dripping from the mast and the through part of the deck.
(Maintenance required)
I think there was a full set of sales.
The sheets are quite old, so they can be used, but I think it's best to replace them gradually.
We are planning to discontinue the ship, so
if anyone wants it,
thank you."

7 hours ago, LordBooster said:

TAKAI 29, half-tonner

Hmm, what translation app has the Japanese owner used:

From IOR landfills? on FB: "Pervert I is probably in jail or perhaps just on the hard."

That little fillet at the stern was very popular for a short time after the intro of the IOR.

Anybody know what it was all about - other than pissing off boatbuilders?

Completely ignorant about design aspects of IOR boats, but could it be to increase girth? Without actually increasing hull cross section?

3 hours ago, LordBooster said:

When I see the name Peter Cole, I can only think of his 12mR - Steak'n'Kidney.

She is one of those names forgotten in the whole America's Cup thing.  I had long wondered if she was actually the fastest 12 in Perth in '87 and found this ad (fwiw) that claims "sailing experts" now believe she was.  And that DC himself said he doubted he could have beaten S'n'K and that he speed tested S&S against S'n'K before the finals and got smoked by S'n'K.  How much of that is fact I don't know. https://www.boatsales.com.au/editorial/details/old-warhorses-come-back-to-life-26912/

But I do know that near the end of the defender trials S'n'K seemed almost unbeatable against the other Aussie 12s.

So why wasn't S'n'K chosen to defend?  Initially she was on the doggy side but it was later discovered (if I recall the story correctly) that 2 different winged keel designs had been tested (one a more traditional planform and the other an upside down keel).  Apparently the tank mixed up the results or at least mis-labelled the data.  Once the error was discovered and the correct upside down keel was attached - she took off.  If any Aussies know a different story than this, or can fill in more details, I would be keen on hearing.

Anyways - photo below of S'n'K for those unfamiliar with her alongside A1 I think.

OK, not an IOR boat, but a Cole design which was the subject of the post I'm responding to.  So not too far off topic - in a way.

AustraliaKA-5Steak-Kidney.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Pertsa said:

Completely ignorant about design aspects of IOR boats, but could it be to increase girth? Without actually increasing hull cross section?

Kind of. 

IIRC, anything inside the 5 or 8% (something like that) buttock line at the AGS was to be ignored and was to be "measured' straight across.  if not, you could have some pretty wacky results if the rudder and/or skeg was located at AGS.

My best guess for having those fillets is partially to add a hair more sailing length (and wetted surface) without increasing rated length. 

Another more likely reason was that some designers thought it might act like a fence to diminish cross flow upwind.  I think a lot of design back then was based on principals and gut instinct.

• Like 1

The fillets were added to sedate the flow across the stern and reduce transverse turbulence,  S&S used the a lot.  PIA for builders.

• Like 1

supersonic mk2 quarter-tonner designed by Scott Kaufman

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/killarney-heights/sail-boats/27-yacht-supersonic-mk2/1273834447?fbclid=IwAR2pacP08lOVzbEslbz08uD7s2yHPxK9waydcmAr-tRYEphzfqO1Kehr5Ic

Signature Ramona:"Other production 1/4 tonners, Tasman 26 by Joe Adams, Supersonic 27 by Scott Kaufman. Cavalier 26, Holland 26, Cole 26, all of these built in fairly large numbers.", see: 

Cantieri Italiani CI 27 Mangiafuoco, may be quarter-tonner, designed by Ernest Sciomachen

Kan vara en bild av jordens vatten och text

https://dailyboats.com/boat/84539-buy-cantieri-italiani-ci27-mangiafuoco?fbclid=IwAR2NmI3gElox_Mo8hqBI6ywQkGzTXWcMe3DXm_JQYz3Pqy2Q-Q3fJ12JmlM

"Based on an IOR racing design.
aka CANTIERI ITALIANI C.I. 27 MANGIAFUOCO", see:

Buona sera a tutti,

sto cercando informazioni foto di questa barca:

Nata Libera disegnata da Ron Holland nel 1985

grazie per l'aiuto che potete darmi 

Davide S. 

• Like 1

Long time lurker and finally a participant in this awesome forum........my current project is bringing this Yankee 38 named Bullet (hull no. 1, sailed in the 1972 1-ton World Championships in Sydney Australia) back to sail-worthy condition.  with the help of lots of useful info on this site i have so-far replaced the mast step, chain plates and repaired some soft bulkheads.  I think this one's definitely worth saving!  Pic of the boat leaving the factory in 1972, and a current photo at purchase.  Please close one-eye when viewing the massively large dodger (PO installed this to accommodate his 6'-6" height) , wadded up head sail, etc.   Lots of work to do but this site provides the inspiration to get things done (right). 

2094-C2 Bullet photo.jpg

20200921_131343.jpg

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Eastwind said:

Long time lurker and finally a participant in this awesome forum........my current project is bringing this Yankee 38 named Bullet (hull no. 1, sailed in the 1972 1-ton World Championships in Sydney Australia) back to sail-worthy condition.  with the help of lots of useful info on this site i have so-far replaced the mast step, chain plates and repaired some soft bulkheads.  I think this one's definitely worth saving!  Pic of the boat leaving the factory in 1972, and a current photo at purchase.  Please close one-eye when viewing the massively large dodger (PO installed this to accommodate his 6'-6" height) , wadded up head sail, etc.   Lots of work to do but this site provides the inspiration to get things done (right). 

2094-C2 Bullet photo.jpg

20200921_131343.jpg

tumbalicous!

What's she look like below?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Eastwind said:

2094-C2 Bullet photo.jpg

20200921_131343.jpg

I almost got a scruffier version in Seattle many years ago - I took too long getting down to Shilshole so was only the backup offer - the first offer took it to Florida IIRC.

Always regretted missing out on it.

Keep us posted on your projects.

• Like 1

“Interregional Siberian Sailing Regatta 2016 in the Ob Sea. Winner of class “Quarter-ton ORC” - yacht “RUS 1101 Volga” Novosibirsk, helmsman Sergey Khramov

Kan vara en bild av båtracing, segelbåt och utomhus

http://sport.nso.ru/news/3133?fbclid=IwAR17BtDVzHJ5cBM6aj4W1f07fQfsxuBarrqiqzcvXsqucuLFohsVvcCAul0

Translate of link above: "The open championship and the championship of the Novosibirsk region in sailing "Interregional Siberian Sailing Regatta-2016" are over. Yachtsmen from Krasnoyarsk, Zheleznogorsk, Barnaul, Tomsk, Seversk, Severobaikalsk, Irkutsk, Bratsk have traditionally gathered for the largest sailing competitions in Siberia. In total, about 180 people took part in the regatta."

"Volga RUS 1101 Conad 25p 1984 coque No138, 2008 à Novorossisk", see:

http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/Quarter Tonner/Q Peterson Conrad.htm?fbclid=IwAR0My2-qanKnes8Ks02VqIqU6CN7cCpT-Q6cc3kiND0b-ctfeEVydrxIT7I