• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was an odd time the late IOR period. Fantastic fleets, great racing and many beautiful looking boats that were absolute cunts of things to sail. Back them most  owners actually knew how to sail and

Having renovated an IOR 1-tonner, I feel obliged to point out that there are way cheaper ways to get a tidy boat on to a start line

My old Two Tonner HEATHER designed for and built by John Buchan. HEATHER is now a live aboard cruising boat in south Puget Sound.

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Couta said:

Especially in an alloy hull! 

Absolutely,  but just imagine the noise if wire sheets had crossed over with carbon hulls!

• Like 1

Re Canterbury Export.

I owned Hull #1 - Archon for a while. The hull came out too heavy so they built #2 for the Admirals Cup trials. Mine was then finished with a m/h rig and raced across NZ and Oz for years. I just did coastal and a bit of 2 handed with it before kids came. Now well loved with a fixed dodger and swept back spreaders. Hull # 3 just came on the maket NZD$75k. Had money spent on it periodically but little use for last 20 years

1567998961.jpg

• Like 3
23 hours ago, Jono said:

Re Canterbury Export.

I owned Hull #1 - Archon for a while. The hull came out too heavy so they built #2 for the Admirals Cup trials. Mine was then finished with a m/h rig and raced across NZ and Oz for years. I just did coastal and a bit of 2 handed with it before kids came. Now well loved with a fixed dodger and swept back spreaders. Hull # 3 just came on the maket NZD$75k. Had money spent on it periodically but little use for last 20 years

Beattful pic: Have you seen any ad for Hull # 3 that you can show us? https://www.facebook.com/groups/203537404677541/posts/366714385026508

9 hours ago, Jono said:

Did anyone ever buy the green Swan 441 - possibly in Florida?

(July 22 - Page 16)

Listing link still works - $15K for a scruffy Swan. :o

I was definitely born a couple of decades too soon.

• Like 1

If it was on the another side of pond and I would look for large sailboat, I would be mad enough.

Some moderate FoP:ping and it would be great.

• Like 1

Good to see Heather looking so well cared for - it was looking pretty sad when it sold dirt cheap a few years ago.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, KareL said:

No, at 14 000 USD it's one of the most expensive Scampi´s in Sweden. But the boat/sails seems to be in good shape.

I am a stupid American and read the price at 119,000 pounds.  Yes the boat does look in great shape and one of my favorite designs for some reason.

• Like 1
On 9/2/2021 at 6:18 PM, Bob Perry said:

My old Two Tonner HEATHER designed for and built by John Buchan. HEATHER is now a live aboard cruising boat in south Puget Sound.

The yacht reminds me of your design Irish Rose, a two-tonner as well. Has been renovated and written about both on SA and FB:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/203537404677541/posts/360599792304634

• Like 1

Nice hull, but deck, interior really needs a cleanup and possibly rebuilding. (Soft spots and fiberglass chipping?)   (We are not going to comment on the coachroof interior finish) 

But here she is.  Promise but a lot of work revitalizing, reworking, rebuilding, re, re, re....  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324770724614

BD1322BE-8787-41FA-953B-96734EAB46E1.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm sure lead got moved quite a bit chasing that elusive trade off between rating & speed, but the hull seems to be floating  (from looking at top of rudder & turn of bilge) quite high

3 minutes ago, longy said:

I'm sure lead got moved quite a bit chasing that elusive trade off between rating & speed, but the hull seems to be floating  (from looking at top of rudder & turn of bilge) quite high

Quick back of the envelope calculation.  Roughly 31' LWL and 11' BWL and floating maybe 8" high yields:

31x11x8/12 x .65 = 148ft3 =9,457 lb which is close to the amount of ballast on a 2 Tonner

So my guess is the photo is with the keel removed.

1 hour ago, 12 metre said:

Quick back of the envelope calculation.  Roughly 31' LWL and 11' BWL and floating maybe 8" high yields:

31x11x8/12 x .65 = 148ft3 =9,457 lb which is close to the amount of ballast on a 2 Tonner

So my guess is the photo is with the keel removed.

Keel off, rig on?  Unlikely

1 hour ago, DickDastardly said:

Keel off, rig on?  Unlikely

Well, I doubt they would be taking her out for a sail.

Looks like the bottom has been sanded, and with no anti-fouling on, it looks like they are in the middle of doing some bottom work.  So maybe just relocating the boat to another yard to have a new keel put on.  IDK - but if the waterline is where it appears to be, Heather is floating about 10,000 lb light +/-

If that is so, how else can it be explained?

Besides, it's not like a boat is doomed to capsize without her keel.  Heck, on a return trip from Hawaii Charley (Holland 67 ULDB) dropped her keel several hundred miles out Hawaii and made it back to Hawaii (under power) while encountering winds up to 40 knots and she never even put her mast in the water.  The most heel they saw was 60  degrees - at least according to this article (pg 12):  https://transpacyc.com/assets/documents/programs/1985_Transpac_Program.pdf

5 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

Nice hull, but deck, interior really needs a cleanup and possibly rebuilding. (Soft spots and fiberglass chipping?)   (We are not going to comment on the coachroof interior finish) 

But here she is.  Promise but a lot of work revitalizing, reworking, rebuilding, re, re, re....  

New redeck of course.

Longy: HEATHER had no internal ballast. In that photo the boat is floating exactly as designed with top of rudder right at DWL. Bottom paint is a bit higher than I would like. According to my lines plan aft tip of rudder should be top of bootstripe.

Heather lines.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Bob Perry said:

Longy: HEATHER had no internal ballast. In that photo the boat is floating exactly as designed with top of rudder right at DWL. Bottom paint is a bit higher than I would like. According to my lines plan aft tip of rudder should be top of bootstripe.

Heather lines.jpg

Ouch!  Just looking at those lines, a great example of the mid 70s IOR pintail, reminds me what a nasty corner IOR-optimized boats ended up in for a while.  I'm sure it's great in light airs though.

Mr. Dick:

HEATHER was an amazing performer in light  air as it was designed to be. But it also went to weather very well in a breeze. Downwind in a breeze it was fine as long as you stayed on your toes. We would get over 10 knots and from time to time and take green water over the bow up to the mast. It was a bit disconcerting if you were driving. But the boat was controllable. A bit like burying your ski tips in powder. We had a few wipe outs as did all the IOR boats when pushed. All in all I'd say it was a well mannered boat. Few people would  push their boat as hard as HEATHER was pushed.

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

Mr. Dick:

HEATHER was an amazing performer in light  air as it was designed to be. But it also went to weather very well in a breeze. Downwind in a breeze it was fine as long as you stayed on your toes. We would get over 10 knots and from time to time and take green water over the bow up to the mast. It was a bit disconcerting if you were driving. But the boat was controllable. A bit like burying your ski tips in powder. We had a few wipe outs as did all the IOR boats when pushed. All in all I'd say it was a well mannered boat. Few people would  push their boat as hard as HEATHER was pushed.

Thankyou sir!  10 knots ... my knees would be shaking...!  Manners aside, at least they were pretty boats.

I guess the manners are all relative to the era.  Today's teenagers are ridiculously well mannered compared to how I was back in the day...  :)

• Like 2
On 9/2/2021 at 12:18 PM, Bob Perry said:

heather stern on.jpg

Very sexy 

On 9/5/2021 at 4:58 PM, Santana20AE said:

Also move the engine 

• Like 1

Kurt Hoenhe: Renovation of Sir Isaac, John and Ann Bailey’s Chuck Burns designed 49-footer. From 2006-2016 Sir Isaac lived in one end of a building and the Bailey’s in another. They wanted to be close, after all they were doing all the work themselves! It would be no small job on the 1984 cold-molded boat.

Kan vara en bild av båtracing, segelbåt, natur och hav

https://sailish.com/index.php/2018/11/14/round-the-county-all-in-a-northerly/?fbclid=IwAR0ThjvY-D4WSfGM2KAF7R716HUrT2Tw7u0uSsRo5vr_RKlSMj-faeVXBAQ

X-95 half-tonner designed by Niels Jeppesen

Kan vara en bild av utomhus

https://www.blocket.se/annons/stockholm/x_95_nummer_99__xant_/97401769?fbclid=IwAR0AZneP_2dInNyylkGMJyUHoMU8BQ-sZW9sRRfvkls1HxlhvP1Uln0iadc

Google translate: "It is comes equipped with
- carbon fiber roll genoa, completely renovated in 2020
- Mainsail in kevlar, completely renovated in 2021
- Spinnaker
- Spinnaker boom (one end broken but repair possible)
- Usual mooring goods
Stand and supports
- WC with septic tank (we have not used this as the boat was sailed for educational purposes and the need did not exist)
- Inboard engine Yanmar (broken but went earlier this summer. More info further down)
- gas stove, 2 flames
- gas stove
- refrigerator
- solar panel, angular
- radio with auxiliary connection and speaker in cockpit
- 7 berths (2 forepeak, 2 saloon, 1 shelf in saloon, 2 berth aft)
For the past 3 years, it has been owned by a sailing school in the Stockholm archipelago. There it has been a faithful servant and proved to be a very safe boat that sails well in both light and strong winds. Last summer, the engine broke down, which is why we sell it at the reduced price.
The engine is original from -82, but now the starter motor has stopped working and the timing belt has come off.", Sweden

This was called VAN KI PASS (I think) last time I saw her.

Looks like she is in better shape than she has been-  I think a former owner was busted for running a pretty impressive Ponzi scheme a few years ago.....

Cool looking boat-  Certainly an eye catcher.  The photos don't do justice to the mega tumblehome at max beam....

Anyway anyone know the designer/builder/history?

VKP 1.jpg

VKP 2.jpg

VKP 3.jpg

VKP 4.jpg

VKP 5.jpg

VKP 6.jpg

VKP 7.jpg

• Like 2

Vic Carpenter.

He also designed and built Golden Goose for Gordon Lightfoot.

SA thread about Vic here:

He also designed and built some unusual looking boats like Spad and Orace.  There are probably photos of all those other boats I've mentioned in that thread.  Probably Van Ki Pas is in there too.

• Like 1
On 9/7/2021 at 1:28 PM, LordBooster said:

X-95 half-tonner designed by Niels Jeppesen

https://www.blocket.se/annons/stockholm/x_95_nummer_99__xant_/97401769?fbclid=IwAR0AZneP_2dInNyylkGMJyUHoMU8BQ-sZW9sRRfvkls1HxlhvP1Uln0iadc

Google translate: "It is comes equipped with
- carbon fiber roll genoa, completely renovated in 2020
- Mainsail in kevlar, completely renovated in 2021
- Spinnaker
- Spinnaker boom (one end broken but repair possible)
- Usual mooring goods
Stand and supports
- WC with septic tank (we have not used this as the boat was sailed for educational purposes and the need did not exist)
- Inboard engine Yanmar (broken but went earlier this summer. More info further down)
- gas stove, 2 flames
- gas stove
- refrigerator
- solar panel, angular
- radio with auxiliary connection and speaker in cockpit
- 7 berths (2 forepeak, 2 saloon, 1 shelf in saloon, 2 berth aft)
For the past 3 years, it has been owned by a sailing school in the Stockholm archipelago. There it has been a faithful servant and proved to be a very safe boat that sails well in both light and strong winds. Last summer, the engine broke down, which is why we sell it at the reduced price.
The engine is original from -82, but now the starter motor has stopped working and the timing belt has come off.", Sweden

nice good sailing cruiser racer.

Very good memories of sailing 2 htcc on board craxajax. Some of the modified halftonners don't like her that much I guess (we beat them on the water)

• Like 1

"Regatta sailboat" "7.5m length in Friuli-Venezia Giulia (Italy)" Note kind of non-IOR bow pulpit shown among the pics. But the yacht may have a 1/4-ton origin. Please come up with 1/4-ton candidates!

https://www.inautia.de/boot-66261050210752556553575154704569.html

One possible candidate, but compare year of construction:

http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/Quarter Tonner/Q Maletto.htm

On 9/5/2021 at 8:55 PM, Bob Perry said:

Heather lines.jpg

so, my question answered! rudder was enlarged it looks like :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LordBooster said:

"VIRUS" Sailboat Del Plata 31, registered in 1992, launched in 1994, designed by CLAUDIO MORICHETTI, built by del Plata SHIPYARD

Kan vara en bild av båtracing, segelbåt och natur

https://4sail.com.ar/producto/vendo-velero-virus-velero-del-plata-31-crucero-regata-acepto-pta-22-23-pies/?fbclid=IwAR3kMpdUhNA23XQvErkkYZYRViCPdUmc7zFKnoE-IaDSht1lyQjuCUCmmSE

That's a good looking boat. Unfortunate name, though. If it was for sale near me, I'd give it strong consideration

FB- Doug

• Like 1

Sarpsborg Sailing Association arranged Hvaler Around, June 5 2021. Martin Kamperhaug at the wheel of Ondine which he has renovated

Kan vara en bild av båtracing, utomhus och text där det står ”ondine”

About 9:30 into the video Martin Kamperhaug talks (in Norwegian) about the renovation of his yacht Ondine:

https://www.seilmagasinet.no/fram-vii-martin-kamperhaug-ondine/samler-halvtonnerne-fra-1983/705592

Not clear which of all the yachts Ondine this is. Here is one candidate:

9 hours ago, LordBooster said:

Silver Shamrock III designed by Ron Holland and beautifully renovated by Peter Cavill. Here seen about -85. But where is she now?

Kan vara en bild av båtracing, segelbåt och hav

https://www.facebook.com/groups/203537404677541/posts/208144110883537

There’s some info in the comments here: http://rbsailing.blogspot.com/2013/11/silver-shamrock-iii-holland-half-tonner.html?m=1

Two conflicting reports but it sounds like the boat might be no more. Sad if it’s true. 

2 hours ago, mrming said:

There’s some info in the comments here: http://rbsailing.blogspot.com/2013/11/silver-shamrock-iii-holland-half-tonner.html?m=1

Two conflicting reports but it sounds like the boat might be no more. Sad if it’s true. 

I almost bought her in August 1998 - she was in Cronulla or Port Hacking at the time. Was going down to look at her and broker told me she had sold. Never heard of her since.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mccroc said:

I almost bought her in August 1998 - she was in Cronulla or Port Hacking at the time. Was going down to look at her and broker told me she had sold. Never heard of her since.

Silver Shamrock III was a quick boat and came close to winning the '77 HTC in Sydney.

The follow on Silver Shamrock IV was not quite as competitive at Poole in '78.

I seem to recall a photo of Cudmore wearing a t-shirt he had made up that said -

"It takes a lot of boats to beat Silver Shamrock IV - and they are all here"

Pretty funny I thought.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, mccroc said:

Is this the one that was raced at the Amateurs late 70's early 80's? 

3 hours ago, charisma94 said:

Is this the one that was raced at the Amateurs late 70's early 80's? 

Not sure - could be. I remember seeing her around the Harbour, but not specifically at SASC.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LordBooster said:

Expired ad, but worth seeing: Maestro 31, half-tonner designed by Van de Stadt

Kan vara en bild av jordens vatten

https://www.blocket.se/annons/halland/maestro_31/97570574?fbclid=IwAR1r8jIpiGICdPkY63GNOdYfyZrrJTeQo7eY0KE9aY-Wunkagrk0zVhp4bA

Sailed against Maestro 31 R last weekend. Went fast and looked good while doing that, although they might have had too little crew and it looked quite funny in breeze close hauled when boat dug its bow to water and raised it´s aft.

R has smaller deckhouse and different cockpit, no idea of other differences.

92ae8e8bfa82670e-large.jpg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Phil said:

Someone in Sydney should get their hands on this one.

143098319_2021-09-1813_36_41.jpg

Lets see what is not original

Deck check

Coachhouse -check

rudder - check

keel  -check

bulkheads - check

cockpit - check

rig -  check

interior -check

some parts of the hull - check

Some young punks want to burgle a major ocean race, that is your ride.

Jack Hornor, Valiant 40 [Bob Perry design] Used Boat Review: In profile, above the waterline, the appearance is a combination of new and old. The straight stem is modern in appearance, the spring of the sheer slightly more pronounced than traditional double-enders, and the canoe stern is very traditional."
"Below the waterline the story is quite different. The high prismatic coefficient, low wetted surface area, low displacement to length ratio and long waterline more resemble a race boat of the early 1970s than an offshore cruiser of that era."