Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was an odd time the late IOR period. Fantastic fleets, great racing and many beautiful looking boats that were absolute cunts of things to sail. Back them most  owners actually knew how to sail and

I just found this thread while doing a Google search on my new boat, but I bought the Peterson designed Serendipity 43 that someone linked to back in February. Bit of a distress sale, so I think I got

Having renovated an IOR 1-tonner, I feel obliged to point out that there are way cheaper ways to get a tidy boat on to a start line

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, sleddog said:

BODACIOUS being cutup for landfill. Sad.

Bodacious5.jpg

Bodacious6.jpg

Wow. Might as well take the lead to whaleworld. Hope the dumbass drunken owner had to pay the bill for recovery and the break up. What a drag. Heard he fell asleep or passed out and sailed it onto the rocks. Interestingly enough my sons girlfriend is a friend of the dude. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Canvasback is a Kirby - 36?

I checked it out on one of my shopping expeditions but it had less than standing headroom - in a 36 footer :rolleyes:

Also, no standing backstay of any kind, totally dependent on the runners & checks to keep the rig standing.

Nice boat otherwise.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Canvasback is a Kirby - 36?

I checked it out on one of my shopping expeditions but it had less than standing headroom - in a 36 footer :rolleyes:

Also, no standing backstay of any kind, totally dependent on the runners & checks to keep the rig standing.

Nice boat otherwise.

They did have permanent backstays.

In-line frac rig? Nearly impossible not to have one.

If you zoom in on the photo of Canvasback a couple of times, you can clearly see the permanent attached to the MH crane.

Even in the photo below  of a K-36 that I pulled from Sailboatdata you can again see a permanent backstay there.  So they were equipped with them.

Now, it is possible when you looked at her it was removed, although I 'm not sure why.

kirby_36_photo.gif

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LordBooster said:

A beauty! And what is the blue yacht, any idea?

 

Blue boat is Lickety Split, a one off designed and built from scratch by a local sailor, Tom Stevens.   He designs boats around rigs - his first design was built around a Melges 24 rig.   This one is built around either a Melges 32 rig or possibly a Farr 30 rig?  I can't remember.  By picking a rig from a popular design, he is able to get used rigs and sails at very reasonable prices.

Here is a picture of it sailing with some other boat in the foreground - it is a reaching rocketship with a masthead asym:

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATY3ZmYAZS04OWNlLTlmYmEtMDACLTAwCgBGAAADFzZQjEwCAEyBRr5QW8Kd7AcA31y15b%2FsJ0KFMpVVBVM%2FKwAAAgEMAAAA31y15b%2FsJ0KFMpVVBVM%2FKwACGFI4ngAAAAESABAAR1E4lH6xn0yqQ5Z5IUgRGQ%3D%3D&thumbnailType=2&isc=1&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IkZBRDY1NDI2MkM2QUYyOTYxQUExRThDQUI3OEZGMUIyNzBFNzA3RTkiLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJ4NXQiOiItdFpVSml4cThwWWFvZWpLdDRfeHNuRG5CLWsifQ.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.Vd_8GUJ5jJS4b7BPBOpC98aE1hvDa4Zc32CyckDRZ1VufimaOHy5gyBvwPtHlqgyka_4vhNPPDvT6pZItj1P-h7VLQZO8pb4fEJdP8xlRTs7chBfUipS7hUXgLuLGZj4qtpetub_TPLPCuAt-fCYEa4QczSY5emPM_5kwlBiF01epq8MmyqCRHjuXj_FAhOxQrg1wWPgWemkJDwLmojSN9XDg9A5eRYPX1oQzdZ19N6BU-xEg1soVrOgwITEnWNoFampWONZvxdqv324JrAlcbZe8BPg9HnY9bBQiUwQavnexL9TkadsGcVy8SjQ9hNhcpyG9h1mqjolQymWUuhuQw&X-OWA-CANARY=wGq62P6n30a9MyJM_rdyjiBaPL1NpdkY6LJv6MfVSH71hvkxa9jEou8Jg0hKDsFJcnyYkCT6ujk.&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20211101003.13&animation=true

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2021 at 2:28 PM, 12 metre said:

Stern shot of "The Fabulous Hagar" at Shelter island.  Hull in pretty good condition other than some peeled varnish on the topsides.  May need a few strips of cedar veneer replaced - but the exposed portions of cedar looked more weathered than rotten to me, but I'm not a wood expert.

JR ended up getting her - so she is in good hands.

Looks like the rudder was updated sometime in the past.

107.JPG

Went to SI today for a look. The boat is in incredible shape for a freebie. Looks way better shape than my N/M when I bought it. No-one around and I didn't see a barrel of varnish anywhere.

It looked to me like the hull will need to be "wooded" - the varnish is toast and no sign of a glass coating over it. I didn't see any sign of rot or veneers needing replacement, just a whole lot of sanding and varnishing needed.

I spoke to a couple of guys I know there who know about the boat and they said they understood some new Norths are on order.

I have to say that boat was the best deal I have ever run across. It really puts the lie to the old saw about free boats being the most expensive.

Anybody know how they got it across the border?

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Went to SI today for a look. The boat is in incredible shape for a freebie. Looks way better shape than my N/M when I bought it. No-one around and I didn't see a barrel of varnish anywhere.

It looked to me like the hull will need to be "wooded" - the varnish is toast and no sign of a glass coating over it. I didn't see any sign of rot or veneers needing replacement, just a whole lot of sanding and varnishing needed.

I spoke to a couple of guys I know there who know about the boat and they said they understood some new Norths are on order.

I have to say that boat was the best deal I have ever run across. It really puts the lie to the old saw about free boats being the most expensive.

Anybody know how they got it across the border?

I talked to some of the guys sort of involved with this the day after the boat arrived in the yard and they said there was some rot that needed addressing.  We were outside looking over the hull so I assumed they meant the areas where the varnish had peeled

I talked to JR the other day, and I got the impression talking to him that the bilge area needs some work rather than the topsides.  So he will fix that and do some additional reinforcing with UD S-Glass.  Also will be glass coating the exterior.

Turns out the boat was not free - more of a marketing ploy I think to garner interest.  But went for not much $.

The boat was trucked up here by a local marine transport company.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LordBooster said:

Quiz: Hint: "“M. Joubert took it off, hooked it up behind his convertible Cadillac and pulled it, without a trailer, to the municipal landfill and declared: "I”"

Kan vara en bild av 4 personer, personer sysslar med båtracing, segelbåt och utomhus

That one has me stumped.

Too big to be L'Effraie - the French Mini-Ton Cat Sloop which managed to sail through pretty much the same loophole as Cascade.

Anyway, below is L'Effraie at the '78 Mini-Ton Cup, which she won BTW.

Effraie-c.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2021 at 10:07 PM, Rain Man said:

20211110_125559.thumb.jpg.a037cb1a9d90512e8245ade16762664d.jpg

Spotted at Nanaimo today.

Speaking of Canvasback -  Runaway, her bigger and slightly older Kirby sibling apparently sold recently.  Runaway was on the '81 Canadian AC Team

For the young'uns.  BITD...the only AC was Admiral's Cup.

2619306L.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Speaking of Canvasback -  Runaway, her bigger and slightly older Kirby sibling apparently sold recently.  Runaway was on the '81 Canadian AC Team

For the young'uns.  BITD...the only AC was Admiral's Cup.

2619306L.jpg

Still a very good-looking boat IMHO.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Comeback Kid, half-tonner designed by Rob Humphreys, after getting a wash in preparation for tomorrows race in Norway

https://www.facebook.com/1222444565/videos/411185077155012

https://www.facebook.com/groups/360304181752356

"Comeback Kid NOR 6274 Nessy 94 Racing ?, 2021 MK-Bat: ?e/??, rating 0,894 Espen Bakkerud;", see: 

http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/Humphreys.htm

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2021 at 11:22 PM, LordBooster said:

Is this a good sailing boat? Apparently this one has a slightly different keel than most. Less draft (from the blurb). It is not terribly expensive for a 43 foot boat, but some of the woodwork down below is done with low quality plywood (from the pictures).

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mckenzie.keith said:

Is this a good sailing boat? Apparently this one has a slightly different keel than most. Less draft (from the blurb). It is not terribly expensive for a 43 foot boat, but some of the woodwork down below is done with low quality plywood (from the pictures).

Seems OK. Has never been raced hard. Less draft can be good for shallow waters. Four cylinder engine with gearbox, a smooth drive. The "blond" colored plywood can be OK

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What if?: Gary Baigent :"Davidson visited Chance when Chance had been researching centreboard boats before he drew Resolute Salmon." "Davidson showed Chance his moderately heavy Half Ton-designs Tramp and Blitzkrieg and Chance commented, as a result of his recent test, that the Davidson keels were too big – and that was proven to be right." Pic showing Britton Chance Jr. design Sachem, 1978 Custom Chance 34 [2nd at TQTC -78, after Davidson's Pendragon]" Ingen fotobeskrivning tillgänglig.

Gary Baigent: https://www.coolmobility.com.au/Yacht/LightBrigade.pdf

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LordBooster said:

KIRIE FEELING 850 SPECIAL from -86, designed by Philippe Briand

Kan vara en bild av jordens vatten

https://www.theyachtmarket.com/de/zum-verkauf-stehendes-boot/2181303/

Probably DNA or similar from Free Lance winner of HTC -83:

http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/BR2.htm

 

The Feeling 850 and Elite 30 (and a couple of other Kiries in that size range) were  all derived from Free Lance, but with different LOA and rigs.

However, the boat in the photo is almost certainly an Elite 30 - not a Feeling 850.

The 850 was about 2 ft shorter with an LOA under 28' and had a more vertical truncated transom.

Below is a promo photo showing an 850 in the foreground with an Elite 30 next and Free Lance in the background.

The second photo is a stern shot of an actual 850 I was looking at a few years ago and you can see how wide and flat the truncated stern is compared to the one above.  The main reason I didn't make an offer is they are short on SA for PNW conditions - although probably ideal for Europe.  But spacious interior for a 28 footer with aft cabin and head.

feeling_850_photo.jpg

00f0f_iPNerqGotoH_1200x900.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LordBooster said:

What if?: Gary Baigent :"Davidson visited Chance when Chance had been researching centreboard boats before he drew Resolute Salmon." "Davidson showed Chance his moderately heavy Half Ton-designs Tramp and Blitzkrieg and Chance commented, as a result of his recent test, that the Davidson keels were too big – and that was proven to be right." Pic showing Britton Chance Jr. design Sachem, 1978 Custom Chance 34 [2nd at TQTC -78, after Davidson's Pendragon]" Ingen fotobeskrivning tillgänglig.

Gary Baigent: https://www.coolmobility.com.au/Yacht/LightBrigade.pdf

 

That boats bottom is flatter than my Jon boat.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 12 metre said:

The Feeling 850 and Elite 30 (and a couple of other Kiries in that size range) were  all derived from Free Lance, but with different LOA and rigs.

However, the boat in the photo is almost certainly an Elite 30 - not a Feeling 850.

The 850 was about 2 ft shorter with an LOA under 28' and had a more vertical truncated transom.

Below is a promo photo showing an 850 in the foreground with an Elite 30 next and Free Lance in the background.

The second photo is a stern shot of an actual 850 I was looking at a few years ago and you can see how wide and flat the truncated stern is compared to the one above.  The main reason I didn't make an offer is they are short on SA for PNW conditions - although probably ideal for Europe.  But spacious interior for a 28 footer with aft cabin and head.

feeling_850_photo.jpg

00f0f_iPNerqGotoH_1200x900.jpg

Perhaps the "SPECIAL" has the same length as Free Lanced?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2021 at 7:29 PM, 12 metre said:

Speaking of Canvasback -  Runaway, her bigger and slightly older Kirby sibling apparently sold recently.  Runaway was on the '81 Canadian AC Team

For the young'uns.  BITD...the only AC was Admiral's Cup.

2619306L.jpg

Yup, sailed on Pachena on the Canadian AC Team that year, 3rd boat was Amazing Grace and that dog would not hunt.  Was great racing with Bruce Kirby (RIP) on the team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, LordBooster said:

What if?: Gary Baigent :"Davidson visited Chance when Chance had been researching centreboard boats before he drew Resolute Salmon." "Davidson showed Chance his moderately heavy Half Ton-designs Tramp and Blitzkrieg and Chance commented, as a result of his recent test, that the Davidson keels were too big – and that was proven to be right." Pic showing Britton Chance Jr. design Sachem, 1978 Custom Chance 34 [2nd at TQTC -78, after Davidson's Pendragon]" Ingen fotobeskrivning tillgänglig.

Gary Baigent: https://www.coolmobility.com.au/Yacht/LightBrigade.pdf

 

"Chance 37" (a not so one-ton)was NOT Britton's first design of that size, he had had before "De Schelde II" then "Breyell II" both under RORC rule. Shape evolution between those 3 shows a full time enquiring mind and a number of "finds".

Soon after the Chance 37, came the "Offshore 1" 33' and "Salmon" logic was in place and ... in line (do I believe)

1967_De Schelde II.jpg

1968_Breyell II lines.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, 12 metre said:

  The main reason I didn't make an offer is they are short on SA for PNW conditions - although probably ideal for Europe.  But spacious interior for a 28 footer with aft cabin and head.

feeling_850_photo.jpg

00f0f_iPNerqGotoH_1200x900.jpg

Plus the 850 has the deadly bridgedeck traveler B) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Crash said:

Plus the 850 has the deadly bridgedeck traveler B) 

Oh yeah - forgot about that.

Although I have to say I prefer a wider bridgedeck than the one on the 850.  I like at least a boot length of clearance if at all possible.

But on a 28 footer - things can be pretty tight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, moody frog said:

"Chance 37" (a not so one-ton)was NOT Britton's first design of that size, he had had before "De Schelde II" then "Breyell II" both under RORC rule. Shape evolution between those 3 shows a full time enquiring mind and a number of "finds".

Soon after the Chance 37, came the "Offshore 1" 33' and "Salmon" logic was in place and ... in line (do I believe)

1967_De Schelde II.jpg

1968_Breyell II lines.jpg

Hmmmff... keel that far forward just looks wrong somehow. Oh well ...Britt Chance, right?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

well I bought the Cal 40 on the capt q video on page 1. Was looking at it before but at that time and price of shipping was too much. Paid more for shipping than the boat eventually. Origanly from Port Huron MI. to Boston to Maine.Original owner was Francis Merrit. Boat name is Hustler. Anybody know anything? I no not really IOR.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2021 at 1:22 AM, moody frog said:

"Chance 37" (a not so one-ton)was NOT Britton's first design of that size, he had had before "De Schelde II" then "Breyell II" both under RORC rule. Shape evolution between those 3 shows a full time enquiring mind and a number of "finds".

Soon after the Chance 37, came the "Offshore 1" 33' and "Salmon" logic was in place and ... in line (do I believe)

1967_De Schelde II.jpg

1968_Breyell II lines.jpg

I spent the longest year of my life in 11 days of sailing on a Chance 54 to Hawaii with a keel that far forward.  The hull forward though was as flat as a sheet of plywood.  Take off on a wave and it was 50% chance of going right, 50% chance of going left and 0% chance of going straight.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

I spent the longest year of my life in 11 days of sailing on a Chance 54 to Hawaii with a keel that far forward.  The hull forward though was as flat as a sheet of plywood.  Take off on a wave and it was 50% chance of going right, 50% chance of going left and 0% chance of going straight.

Heh heh.. no lateral resistance aft- tail waggin' the dog!

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, sledracr said:

Warrior?

Nope.  Would have much preferred that ride, but then the last time I saw Warrior at the end of a Hawaii race in Ala Wai, it had developed a longitudinal twist big enough to open a half-inch crack at base of the doghouse on the starboard side.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Liquid said:
4 hours ago, LordBooster said:
Expand  Expand  

If you squint really hard it looks to have chines!

Looks a rather distorted hull for so late in the IOR.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2020 at 6:21 PM, Sail4beer said:

I may differ slightly in my approach to the project

C3FAB938-B837-4D2A-98C4-8AB2D5FB1E00.jpeg

True but neccessary. Cradle to cradle, dust to dust.
I guess the most beautifull in line, maintainance and speed survive, and then you have something.
This one for instance:
piccarrera290101d.jpg.2356d66b90d8f651e5e392618e0768c4.jpg
And she was for sale for only $22,500.
Carrera 290

Or this Lady Helmsman. Now that's what I call a classic beauty.
1470404445_LadyHelmsman.PNG.0bae69612217d321f4144b4c7f6ff7e4.PNG
And most of them sell very easy.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Where is she now: Mercury, half-tonner, designed by Ragnar Håkansson (Ragge Hawkenson) -77. Placed 5th of 12 yachts at the US Half Ton Cup -77 (winner Petrified designed by Chuck Burns). Pic from 1977 October " Latitude 38 ", US Magazine 

Kan vara en bild av 2 personer, personer sysslar med båtracing och segelbåt

http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/E239.htm

http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/1977 US HTC Resultats.htm

 

Link to post
Share on other sites