• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just found this thread while doing a Google search on my new boat, but I bought the Peterson designed Serendipity 43 that someone linked to back in February. Bit of a distress sale, so I think I got

It was an odd time the late IOR period. Fantastic fleets, great racing and many beautiful looking boats that were absolute cunts of things to sail. Back them most  owners actually knew how to sail and

Having renovated an IOR 1-tonner, I feel obliged to point out that there are way cheaper ways to get a tidy boat on to a start line

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Matagi said:

I saw that. I am really tempted. It is a very well maintained one, by the looks of it.

Have they sorted out the mast truss problem?  On my Ballad the mast dropped 2" and the hull looked like a hard boiled egg as you peel it.  A mass of stress cracks.

Lawrence Schäffler: "he [Paul Whiting] was born with an innate talent and an exceptional eye is evident when you learn that he penned the Reactor’s lines (in 1968) when he was only 16 – completely untrained in boat design." "The mould for the first fibreglass Reactor was made (1968) from the wooden plug Whiting built in an old shed near his father’s factory in Auckland’s Mt Roskill." "Nearly 80 Reactors have been built" (unknown photographer)

May be an image of outdoors

https://www.pressreader.com/new-zealand/boating-nz/20180101/283527976209410

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Matagi said:

Have they sorted out the mast truss problem?  On my Ballad the mast dropped 2" and the hull looked like a hard boiled egg as you peel it.  A mass of stress cracks.

Take contact with:

http://balladklubben.se/balladexchange/viewtopic.php?t=3393

https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?threads/albin-ballad.18910/

4 hours ago, Whinging Pom said:

Take contact with:

http://balladklubben.se/balladexchange/viewtopic.php?t=3393

https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?threads/albin-ballad.18910/

On 12/12/2021 at 7:56 AM, LordBooster said:

Very sad! What happened?

Raced against her back around 2000.  IIRC, she rated 80ish.  My last memory was her being docked on the south side of the road at byc sans mast.  My pea-brain memory thinks it remembers it for sale w/o rig for 20K.  IOR warhorses are a dime a dozen.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, longy said:

Anybody know what happened to "Inflation" Peterson 1 ton, sister to Stinger built by Eichenlaub

"Inflation US Peterson 1975 built in aluminium by Eichenlaub, single spreader rig, 1975 SORC: 2e/?? ttc et 3e/? Classe T, Lowell North, rating: 27.5', SDYC Ton Cup: 2e/?? OT, 2021 Comment from Facebook "Commissioned by a client from Hawaii, chartered for SORC by the local sailmaker & friends, raced in Hawaii after she got there for a couple of years, then went ??? IIRC sold to east coast??";", see: http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/One Tonner/Peterson.htm

20 hours ago, LordBooster said:

what a fine looking boat. It seems to me that if you wanted to build a coastal cruiser, this would be a great start. The only obvious bit I can see missing is ground tackle management (and all that may entail). Seems to be a commonality in a lot of these old race boats - build a beautiful interior, but what about the hook?

• Like 1
On 6/15/2021 at 11:57 PM, Alan H said:

Infinity, which has been sitting right next to the cloverleaf on-ramp to the highway in Richmond for at least a decade, is finally up for sale.

47’ Ron Holland IOR - $10,000 (richmond / point / annex)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/richmond-47-ron-holland-ior/7337140639.html

Recently foreclosed by boat yard, must sell. 47’ Ron Holland design in good condition. racing interior was removed for repair after an accident. Hull and deck in very good condition. Mast and standing rigging intact. Engine has not been started for 8 years. No sails. Have a look! Best offer.

00f0f_giJznURnjfOz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Perfect project boat for FOP, I realize I'm six month late but does anyone knows anything if she's sold or if the the chain saw got her... Any information on her is highly appreciated.

I'm looking for a cool IOR boat to work on... 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Flirt of paget said:

Perfect project boat for FOP, I realize I'm six month late but does anyone knows anything if she's sold or if the the chain saw got her... Any information on her is highly appreciated.

It's probably still around.  It was on CL just a week or two ago.  Cl ads typically expire in a week or two.  This ad pops in and out of CL every few weeks it seems.

There is a frac rig alloy Peterson 40 circa 1980 for USD 8500. Similar size to FOP, so maybe not what you're looking for: https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/d/newport-beach-40-peterson-sailboat-1980/7417840753.html

00x0x_dt1rBhdQtuOz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 12 metre said:

There is a frac rig alloy Peterson 40 circa 1980 for USD 8500.

00x0x_dt1rBhdQtuOz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

formerly "Flambouyant".  Was a rocket in its day.... should've kept the tiller, though.

Last I heard it was rotting out in front of Balboa YC. That was 4-5 years ago.  Photos in the listing look like it's still there.  Kinda surprised they'd let it sit there that long.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Flirt of paget said:

I should add that the Holland 47 in the CL ad is Infinity IIRC - which had a flush deck (see photo below left).  I think the one in the CL ad had deck and cockpit/coaming mods in an attempt to make her more cruisey.  If my memory serves correct she had a low profile cabin added.  In any event, my point is I don't think she is in her stock configuration any more.  

Lots of boats on the West Coast may fit your bill.  There have been a couple of 40'+ Kaufmans - like the 46 below which was recently advertised at USD 15k and sold. Flush teak deck with MH rig.

Infinity_edited-1024-SR.jpg

7248421_20191011140141336_1_XLARGE.jpg

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

I should add that the Holland 47 in the CL ad is Infinity IIRC - which had a flush deck (see photo below left).  I think the one in the CL ad had deck and cockpit/coaming mods in an attempt to make her more cruisey.  If my memory serves correct she had a low profile cabin added.  In any event, my point is I don't think she is in her stock configuration any more.  

Lots of boats on the West Coast may fit your bill.  There have been a couple of 40'+ Kaufmans - like the 46 below which was recently advertised at USD 15k and sold. Flush teak deck with MH rig.

7248421_20191011140141336_1_XLARGE.jpg

I believe that your assumptions about Infinity is more or less correct, someone wanted to make her more of a cruiser and ran out of money. The only disadvantage with boats on the west coast is the transportation. I got some names for a trucking company a few years ago but cannot remember the name. Anyone here who can advise?

On 12/23/2021 at 4:00 PM, sledracr said:

formerly "Flambouyant".  Was a rocket in its day.... should've kept the tiller, though.

Last I heard it was rotting out in front of Balboa YC. That was 4-5 years ago.  Photos in the listing look like it's still there.  Kinda surprised they'd let it sit there that long.

This doesn’t look like any DP design I’m familiar with.

On 12/18/2021 at 6:16 AM, LordBooster said:

This was the EXACT boat i was on my way to view in Sydney in Early 2020. Whilst in the agents runabout on way out to view her i spotted a boat i had on my bucketlist next to Farr designs so we stopped to look at it first... I never made it to see the 1104. 

• Like 1
On 12/23/2021 at 4:22 PM, 12 metre said:

Solid boat and sailed well.  Owner was a short guy with a chip.  Thought Al Delerq knew how to sail (muffled laughter).

• Like 2

Baltic 64 from -88 designed by Sparkman&Stephens

May be an image of boat racing and ocean

https://www.blocket.se/annons/skane/baltic_64/97113330

"Our goal was to create a high quality and a high performance yacht that could be used successfully for racing as well as fast, comfortable cruising. Baltic 64 had a moderate IOR hull shape", see:

https://www.balticyachts.fi/yachts/baltic-64/

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LordBooster said:

Baltic 64 from -88 designed by Sparkman&Stephens

May be an image of boat racing and ocean

https://www.blocket.se/annons/skane/baltic_64/97113330

"Our goal was to create a high quality and a high performance yacht that could be used successfully for racing as well as fast, comfortable cruising. Baltic 64 had a moderate IOR hull shape", see:

https://www.balticyachts.fi/yachts/baltic-64/

I think this is an IMS design.  Love that boat.

15 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

Has this one been posted before?

on FB here

Probably not.  That one is a Heritage 37 - but in too good a condition to be called an IOR landfill IMO.

But the Mull 3/4 Ton Clockwork Rocketship (which I may have posted here before) definitely fits the definition of IOR landfill.  Such a sorry state she is in now.  Hilarious CL ad goes with the photo of CR below:

Okay, here is the text from the CL ad:

nice lookin racing sailboat, about 36',comes with 4 sets of sails has gimble propane stove,sellin for guy so know nothing except it runs good and needs interior work,it floats so u just need to tow it with boat or trailer or i can tow it,may rent space and u or i will fix, posible $300 a month to moor it and i can maybe fix it as i know how to fix boat,s,and only cost $50 per hour for boat repair,veiwing by appointment only.may have stuff to repair it.the history of boat ,it,s a 33' mull 3/4 Tonner designed for the world championships in Victoria b.c. a tsawwassen gentleman raced and cruised her thru the 80,s out of Tsawwassen yacht club and Point roberts yacht club.they won and come in 2nd in some world championships,the boat was fast in it,s day.it raced up to 50 races per year. Needs cleaning I might get time to do it

00M0M_figJDooVNivz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

Probably not.  That one is a Heritage 37 - but in too good a condition to be called an IOR landfill IMO.

But the Mull 3/4 Ton Clockwork Rocketship (which I may have posted here before) definitely fits the definition of IOR landfill.  Such a sorry state she is in now.  Hilarious CL ad goes with the photo of CR below:

00M0M_figJDooVNivz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

I remember seeing her in a somewhat sorry state in VI 360 alongside the dock in Port Hardy.  I recall feeling a bit sorry for the crew, as they were about to go out in the ocean in a boat that looked a bit unseaworthy.  She was fast, but IIRC very lightly built and suffered a few structural issues over the years.  I always thought she was a 1 tonner, not a 3/4 tonner?

Here's the ad for the curious:  https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/boa/d/delta-sailboat-racer/7416412523.html

• Like 1

How to save badly delaminating yachts? Simon Whitehouse: "One Tonner named "Response" designed by Sture Sunden, son of the Folkboat designer Tord Sunden. I owned her from 1999 until 2008. She was badly delaminating when I bought her. From 2001 to 2003 I took the keel off, removed the engine, turned her upside down, stripped off all the outer skin and foam core, and built a new hull on the original inner skin. I was 19 when I bought her, and had a ton of energy. Wouldn't be able to do it now..."

• Like 1

Kevlar laminate?

The only boat around here that I know of with hull delam problems was Kelea, a Contessa 39? that had a Kevlar laminate with big problems.

It got fixed and last I heard was a garbage scow liveaboard in Nanaimo.

On 1/1/2022 at 6:09 PM, Rain Man said:

I remember seeing her in a somewhat sorry state in VI 360 alongside the dock in Port Hardy.  I recall feeling a bit sorry for the crew, as they were about to go out in the ocean in a boat that looked a bit unseaworthy.  She was fast, but IIRC very lightly built and suffered a few structural issues over the years.  I always thought she was a 1 tonner, not a 3/4 tonner?

Here's the ad for the curious:  https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/boa/d/delta-sailboat-racer/7416412523.html

It's always been a 3/4 tonner. Mull design done for the 3/4 ton World's in Victoria that year. A Donny Martin build and owned afterward by Al Whitfield of TYC and PRYC. I used to race with Al and his crew in the hole at TYC. It was dubbed at the world's as "Rockwork Crock 'o Shit". A little sad end there.   

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Kevlar laminate?

The only boat around here that I know of with hull delam problems was Kelea, a Contessa 39? that had a Kevlar laminate with big problems.

Well, there are more than a few Laser 28's around here.

Right about the Kelea garbage scow thing though.

32 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

Well, there are more than a few Laser 28's around here.

With hull delam?

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

With hull delam?

Apologies. Misunderstood the intent of your post.

I though you meant the only boats you knew of with delam problems were ones with kevlar hulls

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Kevlar laminate?

Yup.Kelea.thumb.jpg.ccd3c057a6550478f6af93945aca2dfe.jpg

• Like 2
16 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Kevlar laminate?

Yes, according to Facebook-link above Simon Whitehouse says: "original laminate was polyester/kevlar. All old foam removed which left a very thin and flexible inner skin. First added a layer of 600gram quadaxial glass with Ampreg epoxy resin, which stiffened it up a little. Then in small sections, roughly 2' square at a time, abraded the new glass heavily, screeded with fairly runny epoxy/silica bog, then divinycell foam temporarily secured in place with screws and plywood washers at about 4" centres. The runny bog oozes up through the gaps between the cells in the foam, so you know when it's down properly. Then the outside of the foam faired, remaining gaps between the cells filled with more epoxy bog, and an outer skin of 2x layers 600gram quadaxial glass, again with Ampreg epoxy."

I repeat the Facebook-link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/203537404677541/posts/447996026898343/

3 hours ago, LordBooster said:

Yes, according to Facebook-link above Simon Whitehouse says: "original laminate was polyester/kevlar. All old foam removed which left a very thin and flexible inner skin. First added a layer of 600gram quadaxial glass with Ampreg epoxy resin, which stiffened it up a little. Then in small sections, roughly 2' square at a time, abraded the new glass heavily, screeded with fairly runny epoxy/silica bog, then divinycell foam temporarily secured in place with screws and plywood washers at about 4" centres. The runny bog oozes up through the gaps between the cells in the foam, so you know when it's down properly. Then the outside of the foam faired, remaining gaps between the cells filled with more epoxy bog, and an outer skin of 2x layers 600gram quadaxial glass, again with Ampreg epoxy."

I repeat the Facebook-link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/203537404677541/posts/447996026898343/

The point was???

30 minutes ago, LordBooster said:

The question arises if laminate involving kevlar is difficult to get to bond with the core/foam material?

My point was: Why bother? There are old IOR warhorses that are 10 cents on the dollar that don't need that type of rebuild. It seems silly to me.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

My point was: Why bother? There are old IOR warhorses that are 10 cents on the dollar that don't need that type of rebuild. It seems silly to me.

You like the expensive ones.

My latest cost less than 4 cents on the dollar.

With perfect condition laminates.

• Like 2
On 1/1/2022 at 6:09 PM, Rain Man said:

Clockwork in better days. The 3/4 ton worlds. My shot.

004.thumb.jpg.69da408f61b1c3770f86161a33ba72a9.jpg

• Like 2

Your Edge Blog Team: "LINDA HANKS" "She had no idea that one casual decision would set her on a course to compete in (and eventually win) one of the most epic sailboat races in the world: The Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac (the “Mac”) that takes place on Lake Michigan each summer." histoiredeshalfs: one-ton "Regardless, US 40625" 1985 Plan Nelson/Marek, built by Kiwi, G Carlin,"

May be an image of 1 person, body of water and text that says 'ICAGO REGARDLESS REGA'

https://www.zebra.com/us/en/blog/posts/2020/meet-the-zebra-who-has-sailed-her-way-to-the-top-of-her-class-more-than-once.html

http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/One Tonner/Regardless US.htm

8 minutes ago, LordBooster said:

I have that brochure in files at home. Anybody that was anybody was at that regatta. It was the first "Pendragon" and Bill Buchan with his "Sachem" at a very close second. Bill had 3 snot nose kids ;-) on the boat: Carl, Jonathan and Charlie. I ended up racing with them in Seattle and several Straits races. With Jonathan it was his "Dark Star" when we managed a 2nd overall and 1st in division. My long time relationship with Poncho Lorence started there. Good times!  

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

I have that brochure in files at home. 

Any chance you can dig it out and scan it?

I was "supposed" to be there on one of the then-new Ericson-34s, but the owner balked at the trucking cost from Southern California.  So I spent the week in Seattle with a redhead instead <lol>   Would love to have a copy for the archives.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

I have that brochure in files at home. Anybody that was anybody was at that regatta. It was the first "Pendragon" and Bill Buchan with his "Sachem" at a very close second. Bill had 3 snot nose kids ;-) on the boat: Carl, Jonathan and Charlie. I ended up racing with them in Seattle and several Straits races. With Jonathan it was his "Dark Star" when we managed a 2nd overall and 1st in division. My long time relationship with Poncho Lorence started there. Good times

The Empire Trophy PRESENTED 1951 BY
F. H. CLENDENNING, Winners:
"1979 Clockwork Rockelship Tony Liebert
1980 Clockwork Rockelship Tony Liebert", see: https://www.royalvan.com/files/Annals_Section6_Miscellaneous.pdf

Peter Berg at FB: "Sadly Artemis [Doug Peterson 51 ft aluminum IOR racer built in 1980-1981 by Newport Offshore] was cut up for scrap 3 months ago. after 10 years on the hard she was launched for a new owner to fix up. He worked for a few days and never came back"

May be an image of boat racing, sailboat and body of water

See: https://www.facebook.com/groups/203537404677541/posts/258825439148737/