Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was an odd time the late IOR period. Fantastic fleets, great racing and many beautiful looking boats that were absolute cunts of things to sail. Back them most  owners actually knew how to sail and

Having renovated an IOR 1-tonner, I feel obliged to point out that there are way cheaper ways to get a tidy boat on to a start line

Big Wheels,  yep.  I sailed an 80 foot Maxi that had a pump on the wheel well because it went below the waterline! Lots of winches,  why no cleats or jammers,  none had been developed capable of

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

Thanks for that. I only know Bill in passing but Bill is a real gentleman of sailing. It's the McKee's I have the relationship with. But did sail with Carl as the Buchan's and McKee's are like family. Charlie McKee is the Moth guy. He probably got Bill's grand daughter into the Moths. Charlie and Jonathan got a bronze medal for the 49er's.

Funny story with Charlie: We were doing a windy Southern Straits race (35 knots or more downwind) on a SC50 and Charlie was driving and I said to: Charlie - you understand that we have to gybe, Sisters Is., are coming up quick and we are almost by the lee! Charlie was driving hard and just said: "I got it....I got it....I got it.....and called for the trip. We gybed and made it. Not by much and we were doing 23 knots boat speed. Hoisted the blade and you could high five the islands that were that close! We did our rounding and two boats behind us lost their rigs. We won the overall going away but there was a lot of carnage by other boats. 

Hehe!

Well, you obviously got the desired (in Swedish) "sista insida". Meaning that it doesn't matter how you conduct your gybing, provided that your last one place you between the rounding mark and the rest of the fleet. Especially true if one can master roll-gybing.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Poor Swampfire!

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/120252-disturbed-ior-design/&page=3

 

“Here is "Swampfire" sitting in a field needing some serious TLC in S Louisiana”

“Here is Swampfire, won the '74 3/4 ton Worlds with bullets in every race. Skipper is Osmond (OJ) Young. The boat is sitting a little over a mile away from me on a trailer dying a slow death. The linked winches have been removed but I could probably find the universal gears and anthill sockets in a boatyard around here somewhere. Incredibly fast upwind in breeze but terrifying DW. Nothing more scary than being trapped in one of the crew wells on a round down. Built by Tom Dreyfus of New Orleans Marine as a one-off using C-flex construction.”

“Something has got to be up with the Swampfire for $6,500 than just some soft spots in the deck.”

“The owner is pretty clueless about selling - they have listed that boat a number of times at ever falling prices and I've tried a few times to see it. The first time was in 2012 when it was up-island and after several failed attempts to view it I gave up. The next time I was shopping it was listed again but in the city for less than the first time but more than now and again, no luck in seeing it. Actually he said it had sold that time but now it's the same guy so....

It looked pretty decent from outside.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Mull

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mull_34

swampfireDSC_9468.thumb.JPG.50d833ee5f83ce7fc26074ae97dadd22.jfif

1528186209_swampfire-post-657-0114443001339347921_thumb.jpg.910377a012f2a5162ae74855287f44a6.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

DB1 3/4-ton designed by Van De Stadt,  "hit-and-run"' self-powered gravel barge

Neo Classic Yachts group

 

“Many years ago, we were sailing round Pulau Tiga, to give our new crew members some experience in night sailing. We were using the first ‘Rama-Rama’, a Dehler Db1 with a Db2 rig. That unlucky yacht was bodily run over shortly afterwards in the Brunei River by a 'hit-and-run' self-powered gravel barge; the first of many ‘rama-dramas’. Mercifully, our boat-boy was playing hooky in the Royal Brunei Yacht Club bar at the time and it saved someone, I forget who, a tedious delivery trip to Hong Kong the very next morning. We chartered the Dubois One-tonner ‘Bimblegumbie’ for the China Sea Series that year, and turned in spectacularly erratic results, as usual. When ‘Rama-Rama’ was ‘written off’ it did at least solve one problem. The prop-shaft used to slide out, no matter what we did to keep it in the boat - and believe, me we tried. It happened 500 miles out of Singapore, en-route to Brunei, it happened in the Brunei Bay and it happened that night off Pulau Tiga. I awoke to the inconsiderate clatter of Klaus, scuttling about, looking for the long tapered soft-wood plug racing yachts are obliged to carry; an esoteric requirement of Category One Offshore Racing. Ours, however, was a well-used soft-wood plug. Meanwhile, there was a fire hose squirting a high-pressure jet of Pulau Tiga’s erratic maritime ecology in my right ear. A good night’s sleep ruined. I woke again a little later to hear Klaus banging about under the floor trying to push the dangling shaft back through the plugged hole from the ocean side of the hull. I suppose I could have taken the plug out when he hammered hopefully on the greasy anti-fouling, but with that guy, it was best to keep him busy. Owners are like that. From ‘Lifelines from Low Latitudes’, Image Ross”

http://stadtdesign.com/designs/dehler/db1_db2/3

 

“Designed for the prestigious Three-Quarter Ton Cup in 1980.

There is a saying that what looks right is right, and this potent yet elegant 10.10m racer was not only the best looking yacht in the fleet at that time, it also was a winner.

These Dehler GRP production boats were winning almost all important races all over the world in the early eighties.
The upgraded db2 achieved 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th in the 1984 world championship.”

 

http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/Trois%20Quart/DB1.htm

 

 db1_133461383_1360184687675051_3094329502816655899_o.thumb.jpg.8b4abbd1c87fdc30f706467c37f82619.jpg

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Poor Outsider!

https://www.yacht.de/yachten_jollen/segelsportgeschichte-ior-racer-duesselboot/a123922.html

”Klein, breit, auf das Wesentliche reduziert, mit einem flexiblen 7/8-Rigg ausgestattet: Die "Düsselboot" avancierte zum Trendsetter, und sie war vor allem eines: erfolgreich. 1981 schaffte sie überraschend den Sprung ins deutsche Admiral's-Cup-Team und setzte erste Glanzlichter. Unter ihrem neuen Namen "Outsider" holte sie ebenso unerwartet  zusammen mit "Pinta" und "Sabina" 1983 den Pokal wieder nach Deutschland.”

Google translate:

"Small, wide, reduced to the essentials, equipped with a flexible 7/8
 rig: the "Düsselboot" advanced to become a trendsetter, and it was one
 thing above all: successful. In 1981 she surprisingly made the leap into
 the German Admiral's Cup team and set the first highlights. Under her
 new name "Outsider" she unexpectedly brought the trophy back to Germany
 in 1983 together with "Pinta" and "Sabina"."

http://rbsailing.blogspot.com/2013/01/outsider-judelvrolijk-39.html

outsider_d_f25cb39ae6.jpeg.343b11e98d6939631163d22f123b1bd8.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LordBooster said:

Poor Swampfire!

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/120252-disturbed-ior-design/&page=3

 

“Here is "Swampfire" sitting in a field needing some serious TLC in S Louisiana”

“Here is Swampfire, won the '74 3/4 ton Worlds with bullets in every race. Skipper is Osmond (OJ) Young. The boat is sitting a little over a mile away from me on a trailer dying a slow death. The linked winches have been removed but I could probably find the universal gears and anthill sockets in a boatyard around here somewhere. Incredibly fast upwind in breeze but terrifying DW. Nothing more scary than being trapped in one of the crew wells on a round down. Built by Tom Dreyfus of New Orleans Marine as a one-off using C-flex construction.”

“Something has got to be up with the Swampfire for $6,500 than just some soft spots in the deck.”

“The owner is pretty clueless about selling - they have listed that boat a number of times at ever falling prices and I've tried a few times to see it. The first time was in 2012 when it was up-island and after several failed attempts to view it I gave up. The next time I was shopping it was listed again but in the city for less than the first time but more than now and again, no luck in seeing it. Actually he said it had sold that time but now it's the same guy so....

It looked pretty decent from outside.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Mull

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mull_34

swampfireDSC_9468.thumb.JPG.50d833ee5f83ce7fc26074ae97dadd22.jfif

1528186209_swampfire-post-657-0114443001339347921_thumb.jpg.910377a012f2a5162ae74855287f44a6.jpg

Thanks for that. Our Mull 34 was taken on Swampfire and our build was 76 or 77. I no longer have the line drawing but I think it was 76. Vanpire was 75. The owner of ours was in the process of moving to Portland so we said good buy at PITCH 79. That's why we weren't involved with the famous chaos at that regatta. We had a private wake with tumblers of scotch!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

Thanks for that. Our Mull 34 was taken on Swampfire and our build was 76 or 77. I no longer have the line drawing but I think it was 76. Vanpire was 75. The owner of ours was in the process of moving to Portland so we said good buy at PITCH 79. That's why we weren't involved with the famous chaos at that regatta. We had a private wake with tumblers of scotch!

Cheers!: "We had a private wake with tumblers of scotch!"

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I checked with one of our local harbour commuters to Protection Island - he said that Mad Max left months ago.  If I run across her somewhere on the Island I'll let people know.  My guess is Ladysmith - that seems to be where a lot of boats are ending up these days - cheap moorage.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rain Man said:

I checked with one of our local harbour commuters to Protection Island - he said that Mad Max left months ago.  If I run across her somewhere on the Island I'll let people know.  My guess is Ladysmith - that seems to be where a lot of boats are ending up these days - cheap moorage.

 

Poor Mad Max!

Good of you to check the doings of Mad Max.

https://marinas.com/view/marina/3gcedm_Ladysmith_Marina_Ladysmith_BC_Canada

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rain Man said:

I checked with one of our local harbour commuters to Protection Island - he said that Mad Max left months ago.  If I run across her somewhere on the Island I'll let people know.  My guess is Ladysmith - that seems to be where a lot of boats are ending up these days - cheap moorage.

 

No such thing as cheap moorage anywhere on the coast these days.  My experience is that once a boat is on the hook - it stays on the hook until the right storm comes along.  Cuz lets face - ain't nothin' cheaper than free moorage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 12 metre said:

No such thing as cheap moorage anywhere on the coast these days.  My experience is that once a boat is on the hook - it stays on the hook until the right storm comes along.  Cuz lets face - ain't nothin' cheaper than free moorage.

You seem to have developed special skills for yachts being "hooked" for landfill. One can compare with other yachts dealt with on within "IOR landfills?" such as Magic Bus (Paul Whiting), Great Fun (Laurie Davidson) and Miss Piggy (Tony Castro). In the case of MB it hade been advertised at a number of yacht brokers, without any result. Here is one obvious indicator of being "hooked" for landfill. We were happy that the New Zealanders felt these vibes all the way from Alameda CA. In the case of GF the "hooked" indicator may be "almost sinking". For MP one has to be in place and the "hooked" detector is when the balsa core is just about to suck up water.

    

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LordBooster said:

You seem to have developed special skills for yachts being "hooked" for landfill. One can compare with other yachts dealt with on within "IOR landfills?" such as Magic Bus (Paul Whiting), Great Fun (Laurie Davidson) and Miss Piggy (Tony Castro). In the case of MB it hade been advertised at a number of yacht brokers, without any result. Here is one obvious indicator of being "hooked" for landfill. We were happy that the New Zealanders felt these vibes all the way from Alameda CA. In the case of GF the "hooked" indicator may be "almost sinking". For MP one has to be in place and the "hooked" detector is when the balsa core is just about to suck up water.

    

It may be a language issue, but when I say "on the hook", I mean this: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/florida-keys/article227086409.html#:~:text=Pascale raised a child on a boat.&text=They live “on the hook,or the city's mooring field.  Not what I think you're meaning.

Lots of boats anchored off Kits Point here bought mainly as a cheap roof over their head a good many of which end up either on Kits Beach or the rocks of Sunset Beach during the first storm of the season.  Of course the tax payors end up paying for the removal and safe disposal because the "owners" are nowhere to be found and refuse to claim the boat (because then they would be liable for those costs).

Magic Bus was an exception.  She was an icon much like Ganbare and deserved resurrection. I don't think Max can be put in that same category.  A legend?  Possibly.  An icon? IMO, no.   

Also, quite a few old threads here about people who tried to buy MB in the past, but the owner for whatever reason refused to entertain any offers at that time.

Miss Piggy? Never heard of her.

Great Fun?  Gone a long time ago - "sunk" off the California coast.  Thread on her demise here: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

It may be a language issue, but when I say "on the hook", I mean this: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/florida-keys/article227086409.html#:~:text=Pascale raised a child on a boat.&text=They live “on the hook,or the city's mooring field.  Not what I think you're meaning.

Lots of boats anchored off Kits Point here bought mainly as a cheap roof over their head a good many of which end up either on Kits Beach or the rocks of Sunset Beach during the first storm of the season.  Of course the tax payors end up paying for the removal and safe disposal because the "owners" are nowhere to be found and refuse to claim the boat (because then they would be liable for those costs).

Magic Bus was an exception.  She was an icon much like Ganbare and deserved resurrection. I don't think Max can be put in that same category.  A legend?  Possibly.  An icon? IMO, no.   

Also, quite a few old threads here about people who tried to buy MB in the past, but the owner for whatever reason refused to entertain any offers at that time.

Miss Piggy? Never heard of her.

Great Fun?  Gone a long time ago - "sunk" off the California coast.  Thread on her demise here: 

 

Thanks for explaining "on the hook". I basically agree with you. Regarding Miss Piggy (Tony Castro) she was a half-tonner with high potential:

http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/E10.htm

 

 
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LordBooster said:

The Gary Mull 1/4 tonner TEQUILA SUNRISE sailed the 1976 Quarter Ton Worlds in Corpus Christi. Where is she now?

http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/Quarter Tonner/Q Mull Tequila Sunrise.htm?fbclid=IwAR2_7CS7fJiaE6CJ9tiIyE0c8G3b4hu-9wmnGvJ4wJ27c0ZfQxIKW6GOJ0k

Pretty sure that was for sale cheap in South San Francisco bay a couple or three years ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Rain Man said:

I checked with one of our local harbour commuters to Protection Island - he said that Mad Max left months ago.  If I run across her somewhere on the Island I'll let people know.  My guess is Ladysmith - that seems to be where a lot of boats are ending up these days - cheap moorage.

 

Pretty sure Mad Max is back in Vancouver.  I've seen her anchored near Jericho in the past month.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Pretty sure Mad Max is back in Vancouver.  I've seen her anchored near Jericho in the past month.  

 

Jericho has a lot of liveaboards as you probably knows and is a fairly exposed place to anchor.  Better than Kits Point I suppose - but Ladysmith or even where she was anchored inside Protection Island would be a huge improvement over being on the hook off Jericho Beach.

39 minutes ago, LordBooster said:

Good that she still is alive and does not end up like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc3jVMYfgy0

 

Better that than this.  Boat washes up on Sunset Beach (the sandy portion) this past spring and is abandoned and unclaimed.  Looters start stripping her. https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/vancouver-news/this-sailboat-has-been-washed-up-on-sunset-beach-for-a-week-2145396  This is a fairly common occurrence around here.  In a decent storm up to a half dozen boats (mainly if not solely liveaboards on the hook) have been known to wash up on the beach or rocks of English Bay.

Jericho is a couple of miles in the distance in this photo.

I for one am not optimistic about the future of Max if she is on the hook off Jericho.

sailboat-1.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had to put a boat on the hook in the English Bay area I'd park it in Bachelor Bay near me. It looks totally exposed to Northwesterlies but for some reason the weather doesn't go into it.

image.png.13c379c1bada703f64cd00dca936c6ec.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Jericho has a lot of liveaboards as you probably knows and is a fairly exposed place to anchor.  Better than Kits Point I suppose - but Ladysmith or even where she was anchored inside Protection Island would be a huge improvement over being on the hook off Jericho Beach.

Better that than this.  Boat washes up on Sunset Beach (the sandy portion) this past spring and is abandoned and unclaimed.  Looters start stripping her. https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/vancouver-news/this-sailboat-has-been-washed-up-on-sunset-beach-for-a-week-2145396  This is a fairly common occurrence around here.  In a decent storm up to a half dozen boats (mainly if not solely liveaboards on the hook) have been known to wash up on the beach or rocks of English Bay.

Jericho is a couple of miles in the distance in this photo.

I for one am not optimistic about the future of Max if she is on the hook off Jericho.

sailboat-1.jpg

Let's hope Mad Max doesn't is washed up like that. Feels one must engage the Kiwis soon, even Laurie Davidson himself...

  

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LordBooster said:

Thanks for explaining "on the hook". I basically agree with you. Regarding Miss Piggy (Tony Castro) she was a half-tonner with high potential:

http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/E10.htm

 

 

Piggys fucked fucked.  Been left to rot against a pier wall by an owner who refused to sell her for what she was actually worth 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2020 at 8:09 PM, LordBooster said:

Poor Outsider!

https://www.yacht.de/yachten_jollen/segelsportgeschichte-ior-racer-duesselboot/a123922.html

”Klein, breit, auf das Wesentliche reduziert, mit einem flexiblen 7/8-Rigg ausgestattet: Die "Düsselboot" avancierte zum Trendsetter, und sie war vor allem eines: erfolgreich. 1981 schaffte sie überraschend den Sprung ins deutsche Admiral's-Cup-Team und setzte erste Glanzlichter. Unter ihrem neuen Namen "Outsider" holte sie ebenso unerwartet  zusammen mit "Pinta" und "Sabina" 1983 den Pokal wieder nach Deutschland.”

Google translate:


"Small, wide, reduced to the essentials, equipped with a flexible 7/8
 rig: the "Düsselboot" advanced to become a trendsetter, and it was one
 thing above all: successful. In 1981 she surprisingly made the leap into
 the German Admiral's Cup team and set the first highlights. Under her
 new name "Outsider" she unexpectedly brought the trophy back to Germany
 in 1983 together with "Pinta" and "Sabina"."

http://rbsailing.blogspot.com/2013/01/outsider-judelvrolijk-39.html

outsider_d_f25cb39ae6.jpeg.343b11e98d6939631163d22f123b1bd8.jpeg

Why 'poor Outsider'?

The article mentions that she was bought by a German a few weeks earlier for full restoration and that she was on display at the 2020 Dusseldorf boat show to conmemorate her launch just 40 years earlier... 

So I'd rather say 'Lucky Outsider'!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, halfmoon said:

Why 'poor Outsider'?

The article mentions that she was bought by a German a few weeks earlier for full restoration and that she was on display at the 2020 Dusseldorf boat show to conmemorate her launch just 40 years earlier... 

So I'd rather say 'Lucky Outsider'!!

She sat on the hard in Portsmouth for about 12 years after a hack job of a “restoration”.  Glad to see she is home again to get some love.  Great boat to sail!

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, halfmoon said:

Why 'poor Outsider'?

The article mentions that she was bought by a German a few weeks earlier for full restoration and that she was on display at the 2020 Dusseldorf boat show to conmemorate her launch just 40 years earlier... 

So I'd rather say 'Lucky Outsider'!!

What I mean is that she should have been taken care of at least 10 years earlier.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My brother owned and raced Swampfire in the mid to late 80's in NO.  In fact, I met my wife while visiting him for a regatta at the bar of the Southern YC.  The side cockpits were the "sex pits" and he had a low folding lawn chair on deck behind the skipper for the tactician.  Their main competition then was a boat named "TGV" after the high speed train in France.  But nobody knew that so they surmised that TGV must mean The Goat's Vagina. 

Had some fun on Swampfire...

Link to post
Share on other sites

This would be a worthwhile 1/2 tonner to restore. My fear is that she is too far gone. Sister to my current and former boats. super sailor and fast as hell. Here she is in better days when the former caretaker picked her up.

Lickety 2.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Black Jack said:

This would be a worthwhile 1/2 tonner to restore. My fear is that she is too far gone. Sister to my current and former boats. super sailor and fast as hell. Here she is in better days when the former caretaker picked her up.

Lickety 2.jpg

Digging some nice holes in the ocean on those videos... I remember using wakes from big IOR boats to surf on downwind in my 34' ULDB.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dave-j said:

My brother owned and raced Swampfire in the mid to late 80's in NO.  In fact, I met my wife while visiting him for a regatta at the bar of the Southern YC.  The side cockpits were the "sex pits" and he had a low folding lawn chair on deck behind the skipper for the tactician.  Their main competition then was a boat named "TGV" after the high speed train in France.  But nobody knew that so they surmised that TGV must mean The Goat's Vagina. 

Had some fun on Swampfire...

Yea, seems to be good memories there. Feeling of being young. No Ben Johnson starting position at the doctors...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dave-j said:

Had some fun on Swampfire...

I've always wondered what happened to "Madcap", the 40-foot Bruce King version of the pintail concept that later led to the moderately-successful production Ericson 3/4-tonner.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, sledracr said:

No....

Only know that it looked a lot like this, only 6 feet longer...

ericson-34.thumb.jpg.77ff3b5ff31455d2098f66b77b0b4046.jpg

Only found 12 year old info:

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/76633-madcap-for-sale-in-hollandmi/

“Madcap (40') and Cadre(34') were custom King boats built for one of the owners of the holding company which owned Ericson, and were partly responsible for Ericson building the 34 (of mid-late 70's vintage). Check out the stern-it is just like the old Ericson 34's...”

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

A shame those extreme stinger sterns didn't work well - they sure looked fast

We had an E-34 in the old San Diego IOR fleet in the early 80s, owned and raced by one of SDYC's staff commodores. It wasn't a custom Peterson/NM/Wylie 3/4T'er but she was competitive and, for some reason I never figured out, was absolutely amazing in a drifter. The keel was almost a delta planform, wide chord at the base and very short at the tip, which seemed to me to be all wrong, but the boat did well enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, kinardly said:

We had an E-34 in the old San Diego IOR fleet...was competitive and...absolutely amazing in a drifter. 

Yup.  I raced a bit with hull #1 (PIzzazz) and later for several years on hull #7 (Seduction), both out of Newport Beach.  Pretty good boats, and competitive in the 3/4-ton racing throughout SoCal.  Seduction won the Ahmanson Series and the 66 Series, IIRC, as well as class in the IOR midwinters a couple of times.  Ed Adams had another E34 called Junkyard Dog that he did very well with, too.

And, yeah, surprisingly good upwind in the light stuff. In the case of Seduction, we had ~500 lbs of lead cut out of the keel, along with some other mods to keep the 3/4-ton rating, and it was a great mod for Newport.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2020 at 5:01 PM, sledracr said:

I've always wondered what happened to "Madcap", the 40-foot Bruce King version of the pintail concept that later led to the moderately-successful production Ericson 3/4-tonner.

It was scrapped. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sledracr said:

Yup.  I raced a bit with hull #1 (PIzzazz) and later for several years on hull #7 (Seduction), both out of Newport Beach.  Pretty good boats, and competitive in the 3/4-ton racing throughout SoCal.  Seduction won the Ahmanson Series and the 66 Series, IIRC, as well as class in the IOR midwinters a couple of times.  Ed Adams had another E34 called Junkyard Dog that he did very well with, too.

And, yeah, surprisingly good upwind in the light stuff. In the case of Seduction, we had ~500 lbs of lead cut out of the keel, along with some other mods to keep the 3/4-ton rating, and it was a great mod for Newport.

The only time I have ever puked on a boat was on Seduction (tied up at Parker's Lighthouse after being at the bar too long)!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2020 at 7:13 PM, SloopJonB said:

A shame those extreme stinger sterns didn't work well - they sure looked fast

It's all about the specifics of the measurement paradigm. They would be fast if the measurements would have been taken differently. The wider sterns were an extreme waterline lenghtening ploy. Combinded with a bustle, which made the measured waterline very short, they created an actual heeled sailing length much much longer. There are more subtleties to it invlving girths and the other weird measurements added to try to rein this stuff in. USer here named 12metre forgot more than I ever knew about these tricks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Do I spy a cool wodden tugboat next to Animal Farm?

A really cool fishing boat. what beautiful place to have a boat yard.

fishing boat.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

What happened to Gauntlet?

Good news!

 

http://rbsailing.blogspot.com/2013/08/admirals-cup-1979-italian-team.html

“Admiral's Cup 1979 - The Italian Team

This post features some photos of the top two yachts from the Italian team that contested the 1979 Admiral's Cup, the Scott Kaufman design Vanina (44 feet long and rating 34.5ft IOR)”

“Vanina was later sold to the US in 1980 or 1981 and became Gauntlet (retaining almost the same sail number - US 18188), and a model view is shown below. Gauntlet campaigned in the 1984 SORC, where she finished in ninth place in Class C, and 31st overall.”

“Gauntlet is now based in Muskegon, Michigan, on the Great Lakes. She was rescued by her current owner from New Orleans after a hurricane sunk her while in harbour. Gauntlet was lifted from the harbour bottom 1998 and shipped to Michigan and was cleaned up and restored. Gauntlet has been maintained in excellent condition (see below) and she has been the Lake Michigan boat of the year eight times in the last 15, and the crew are working hard on the ninth!”

 

 224871278_GauntletMilwaukee.jpg.728bef89aab063e16b09db9fb31a5801.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

What happened to Gauntlet?

She's getting scrapped, too.:(

After 40 years of being "rode hard and put away wet," the hull/keel structure gave out in the 2019 Macs.  She's been stripped, waiting out back of Torreson's for the cutter last I saw.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GABA said:

She's getting scrapped, too.:(

After 40 years of being "rode hard and put away wet," the hull/keel structure gave out in the 2019 Macs.  She's been stripped, waiting out back of Torreson's for the cutter last I saw.

Sad news!

Probably not much one can do when "the hull/keel structure gave out".

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2020 at 10:24 PM, Black Jack said:

 

 

I remember Animal Farm coming to Corpus Christi for the 1/2 Ton NA's (IIRC) in the early 70's. Couldn't touch that boat. So fast. I sailed on a Carter 33 short rig at the time that rated 1/2 ton. Heavy weather beast that she was the only race she won was the offshore overnight where it blew like hell. The rest of the time AF was clearly faster. I was in love..

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, On The Hard said:

I remember Animal Farm coming to Corpus Christi for the 1/2 Ton NA's (IIRC) in the early 70's. Couldn't touch that boat. So fast. I sailed on a Carter 33 short rig at the time that rated 1/2 ton. Heavy weather beast that she was the only race she won was the offshore overnight where it blew like hell. The rest of the time AF was clearly faster. I was in love..

Pictures provided by Hylke Steensma. Animal Farm, Half Ton Cup -74, at La Rochelle:

 animal_farm_larochelle.jpg.7fb3a75129996f7745f9aa5cdb188156.jpganimal_farm_1974.jpg.0aa7d128e6f5b06927b3f945823b6e64.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LordBooster said:

Has anyone seen Discovery "disco", G&S 3/4 ton last in upstate new york (circa 1990)?

 

I remember Discovery well has the boat was at the 3/4 ton worlds in 78. Along with Chocolate Chips, Lobo and likely other G&S 3/4 tonners. If I remember correctly the owner (after shipping the boat from the lakes to Victoria) decided to "not" compete. I think he had serious back issue. Sad really.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2020 at 11:18 PM, ALL@SEA said:

Definitely not landfill, there isn't much "Intrigue" hasn't won since being launched in 1985. Her owner, Don Calvert, must be 85 and is still competitive. 

Don Calvert's Castro Designed Intrigue - Combined Clubs Summer Pennant  Series

Sydney-Hobart skipper Ed Psaltis wins Combined Clubs Summer Pennant sailing  crown | The Mercury

 

 

Nice. Good work in maintain her.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2020 at 10:18 PM, Maxx Baqustae said:

I remember Discovery well has the boat was at the 3/4 ton worlds in 78. Along with Chocolate Chips, Lobo and likely other G&S 3/4 tonners. If I remember correctly the owner (after shipping the boat from the lakes to Victoria) decided to "not" compete. I think he had serious back issue. Sad really.  

Yea, have a back issue myself right now. I know how it feels. Probably the yacht is back at the Great Lakes.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2020 at 1:14 PM, Rain Man said:

Digging some nice holes in the ocean on those videos... I remember using wakes from big IOR boats to surf on downwind in my 34' ULDB.

My brother and I used to love doing that, but our dad was worried sick we’d get hit by a mast, or t boned downwind.  Q boats had the biggest hole in da water, but it was steep and close to the hull.  You could see a lot of the bottom paint.  Keel too....

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2020 at 9:19 PM, WGWarburton said:

Kermit lives on:

IMG_1201.JPEG

Were there any other Muppets? I'm sure there was an Animal somewhere, Gonzo would be a good name... Fozzie?

Cheers,

               W.

The crew need to hike hard if those solar panels are gunna work. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LB 15 said:

The crew need to hike hard if those solar panels are gunna work. 

Maybe a tack or gybe will do it?

 

4 hours ago, LB 15 said:

The crew need to hike hard if those solar panels are gunna work. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2020 at 10:18 AM, LordBooster said:
On 12/31/2020 at 9:14 AM, GABA said:

She's getting scrapped, too.:(

After 40 years of being "rode hard and put away wet," the hull/keel structure gave out in the 2019 Macs.  She's been stripped, waiting out back of Torreson's for the cutter last I saw.

Sad news!

Probably not much one can do when "the hull/keel structure gave out".

 

That is really sad news.... Gauntlet was a real classic. I heard a little about her restoration, awesome boat, too much ask for a 3rd resurrection I guess

FB- Doug

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2020 at 12:38 AM, TUBBY said:

Big Wheels,  yep.  I sailed an 80 foot Maxi that had a pump on the wheel well because it went below the waterline!

Lots of winches,  why no cleats or jammers,  none had been developed capable of taking the load at the time.  One 65 footer (used to be called a "Pocket Maxi"), had the halyards go to snubbing winches so the halyards could be cleated to free the halyard winch.  This meant 4 extra little winches,  but 2 less big ones,  a small net gain.

And yeah the pit guy should have been the best,  but the whole cockpit crew & mid deck, should have known the pit well enough to fill in ALMOST as well.  Back then crews generally stuck with the boat and even mid flitters showed the sort of crew work that you only see among the best today.  How long is it since most crews did a shy to shy gybe or a gybe peel,  things most crews did at a moments notice in the IOR days.

I can remember the fun and games of transferring heavy G1 halyards onto snubbers on an 80 footer.  Pit and bow guys had a busy time back then.;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2020 at 12:02 AM, fastyacht said:

This one shows that quintessential bustle and how it worked. Trick the rule. Try to get more waterline length by pushing displacement back there and extending a sugar scoop just so to pick up the flow.

It is painful but think of all the greats of the 19th (and 20th) century. SHADOW. QUEEN MAB. SHONA. on and on...

The Shadow back in the days: 

http://rbsailing.blogspot.com/2013/01/locura-soverel-43.html

 “Soverel designed a bigger 55ft version called The Shadow, with the same stern styleRating in at 45.8ft IOR, The Shadow won Class A at the 1984 SORC, although in a year that was dominated by the One Tonners in Class E she finished 26th overall. She then went on to win Class B at the Clipper Cup.”

1413691700_TheShadow1984_2.jpg.3099d22531b1f3a8cbfcf0a93a2f8e20.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, LordBooster said:

I have googled for the designer, but... Not the design by Ben Lexcen, but who designed her?

 

According to Google, that is a 1982 Nelson Marek 41.

Quote

This is a 1982 Nelson Marek 41' racing yacht located in Vancouver WA at Steamboat Springs Marina, a gated community. Mooring is transferable and the monthly fee is $250.00, located on the Washington side of the Columbia River. Rampage is an award- winning racer Masthead Sloop, mono hull, Composite, one cabin with 8 berths and small kitchen, head, navigation station with ample storage for sails and gear. It also has a Raytheon depth meter, GPS with Loren, masthead wind indicator, ray marine close tracking, VHS Radio. It has a Perkins Diesel engine (needs some work), twin compasses, 4 tri-speed 8" self trailing, 2 dual speed 5" self trailing winches. It has a spinnaker pole, hydraulic boom vang, hydraulically adjustable backstay, hand yanked jib rigged with tuff-luff, tiller- operated. This Nelson Marek 41' racer is a real diamond in the ruogh and most boaters would recognize that when they see her. The reason for sale is health issues making it impossible for the owner to use it. It is quite a spartan craft and comes with extra sails. This would be a perfect craft for someone with the time to baby her and clean her up. This yacht is being sold in place and the winning buyer will be responsible for dock fees at that point or removing it from the water. This fine craft needs a few weekends of cleaning to bring her back and would be a great investment for someone to restore her and resell her, or spend many pleasant hours of sailing. Call Mick Odell 206-542-4460 or 604-800-9809 for more information.

https://www.proxibid.com/Vehicles-Marine-Aviation/Boats/1982-Nelson-Marek-41-Racing-Yacht/lotInformation/29922274

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On the other hand, there is the occasional case where these boats are brought back to life - or even made better than new.  

And in the case of Flirt of Paget - much better than new.  Very well known thread here about her resto: 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites