this pic needs a thread of it's own... have at it

That guy must really want his boat back badly.  Or somebody just bought it from the insurance company for $1 and is planning to move it somewhere for a better repair.  It looks like the plan is to lay glass on the inside of the battens.  Or something like that.

21 minutes ago, SailRacer said:

Maybe the planks are there to hold the tarp?

Sail Safe!

^ this ^

Actually, if there's a place to rent a crane that's not several days travel, and a boatyard to truck it to, that would probably be the least expensive way to salvage a boat in this position. It's kind of ignoble, though.

FB- Doug

6 hours ago, alphafb552 said:

Quick and dirty solution to get the boat off the beach. Probably cheaper than getting a crane out to hoist it away to be scrapped

Looks like crane strops in place already.

• Like 1

If you haven't read it yet, Hal Roth's recovery of WHISPER from a grounding near Cape Horn was quite an achievement -- detailed in "Two Against Cape Horn".

Edited by Flick
clarify
  • Like 3
11 minutes ago, alphafb552 said:

Dang, you're right...

maybe the strops are to attach the towline to drag it into the water?

I'll bet the plan is to somehow seal the hull up, crane it back into deeper water, then tow it to a boatyard.  As pointed out above, if they can get a crane to it, there must be a road around somewhere, unless the crane they are using is on a barge.  In either case, it would save a lot of work to just crane the boat onto something.  

Hard to tell from the picture, but the mast might still be up in which case road or barge transport might be more hassle.  Trying to get the rig out at that angle would be difficult without destroying it.

So they finally found hot rods latest technological masterpiece!

Only way to fix that correctly is with a couple hipsters, a gopro camera and a YouTube channel.  One of them has to be in a bikini, preferably the female, or they'll never get enough views to pay for the rebuild.  Then again, a male hipster in a bikini fixing a boat in the tropics could potentially be a market yet to be tapped.

• Like 1

[after Spicoli wrecks Jefferson's car] 

Jefferson's Brother : My brother's gonna kill us! He's gonna kill us! He's gonna kill you and he's gonna kill me, he's gonna kill us!

Jeff Spicoli : Hey man, just be glad I had fast reflexes!

Jefferson's Brother : My brother's gonna shit!

Jeff Spicoli : Make up your mind, dude, is he gonna shit or is he gonna kill us?

Jefferson's Brother : First he's gonna shit, then he's gonna kill us!

Jeff Spicoli : Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, psycho tiller said:

So they finally found hot rods latest technological masterpiece!

Only way to fix that correctly is with a couple hipsters, a gopro camera and a YouTube channel.  One of them has to be in a bikini, preferably the female, or they'll never get enough views to pay for the rebuild.  Then again, a male hipster in a bikini fixing a boat in the tropics could potentially be a market yet to be tapped.

A market yet to be tapped?

Nothing suss there.

• 3 weeks later...