Robo Calls - WTH

Got four of them in the past hour and this is becoming the norm.  Kid is getting killed on this too, he tells me he needs an extended service contract on the car he doesn't own, and his non existent iCloud account has been hacked, his Windows operating system is not working (he has a macbook from school), and the cops are going to knocking at our the door regarding his outstanding taxes.  Can't image the fun he is having phucking with them....

Verizon is of no help, and blocking the caller is useless, any other suggestions?  Oh! I find the DNC registry useless too

Don't answer - if the call isn't in my contacts I never answer, if it's important they will leave a message.  Frequency of calls is way down, couple a week tops with some weeks none at all. I used to try the take me off the call list etc and it just got worse.   The big payoff is knowing someone will answer - then they sell it to every ahole on the planet.

2nd option is pay for one of the robo apps (which I don't trust).

• Like 4

I agree with above—- don’t answer if not a known contact. Between friends, family and work, there are enough people to bother me - don’t have time for those I don’t know. 
Number of calls from unknown numbers has gone down quite a bit over last year or so of ignoring calls.  Maybe 2-3 a month from 1-2/day. We got rid of landline year ago and had that number on do not call registry, but that seemed to have minimal effect. Won’t try again with mobile. I can ignore it when needed. 

Get a number from somewhere you don’t want to live.    I think they target based on demographics of your phone number.   There’s no profit scamming the poor and desperate.   My number reflects reflects a doomed redneck town so I only get a call every couple months and any number from that area not in my phone book is safe to ignore,

4 hours ago, Dorado said:

53CU64_AS01.jpg

Back in college the phones in the dorm rooms had consecutive numbers.  Sometimes people would crank call, each time incrementing the phone number to get the next room - you could hear the ringing getting closer.  When they got to my number, I was ready with a lit match and a firecracker........

i'm on the don't answer unknown numbers plan. They seem to come in surges. october was the worst month in a couple years. 10-15 a day. down to 2 or 3 a day and they all seem to come from the same XXX-YYY-xyxy groups

A lot of online merchants require a phone number to authenticate and protect your account.   What are the odds none of them sell that number, linked to your purchasing history?    Even if they don’t, odds are some of them have been hacked.  

Nationally, robocalls declined in November for the first time. I expect that to continue, as more operators roll out some technology called STIR/SHAKEN*. The FCC has ordered them to do so by the end of June, by which time only the most skilled and determined spammers are going to be able to get through.

Be patient. Things are starting to get better.

*STIR/SHAKEN prevents Caller-ID spoofing and permits calls to be traced back to their originator.

7 in the last hour ... wtf 

Get calls from hospital residents and staff all the time. Pagers of course a thing of the past. Tough to ignore unknown calls because 9 times out of 10 I need to take the call. The other one pisses me off. Oh well. 

On 12/15/2020 at 11:41 PM, Lark said:

A lot of online merchants require a phone number to authenticate and protect your account.   What are the odds none of them sell that number, linked to your purchasing history?    Even if they don’t, odds are some of them have been hacked.  

I've never understood how their having your phone number "protects" your account. I always say no to stupid shit like that.

None of the internet marketers know my correct phone number either.

This STIR/SHAKEN thing sounds promising. Why the hell was it legal to make a phone call with a faked or untraceable number in the first place?

- DSK

Can you have a favorite robocall?  This one went to my voicemail:

There's a legal case filed under your name. Kindly call us back so we can discuss about your legal case and take car of this matter. If we don't here from you, then there might be a warrant against you and you might be arrested.

Funny as hell!

On 12/15/2020 at 6:46 PM, Dorado said:

53CU64_AS01.jpg

When nothing else is going on, I like to try to buy the service and they link me to a human.

As we talk, I begin speaking softer and softer knowing they are turning up the volume of their headset to get my details.

then BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

Sure canned air is expensive, but worth it.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I've never understood how their having your phone number "protects" your account. I always say no to stupid shit like that.

None of the internet marketers know my correct phone number either.

This STIR/SHAKEN thing sounds promising. Why the hell was it legal to make a phone call with a faked or untraceable number in the first place?

- DSK

My business had this discussion with the phone company a couple years ago,    When I got there a rollover line showed up as ‘blocked’ to prevent people from bypassing the main line and answering service if they called back after business hours.    Outgoing calls continue long after the front desk clocks out.   This caused headaches with caller ID and people ignoring callbacks they wanted.    I requested my phone company spoof the published number on all the lines.  They were adamant it couldn’t be done, so I threatened to replace them with a Nigerian phone scammer.   I assume other businesses caught between tiny and switchboard size have to do something similar.    I’m not sure how we will be affected by Stir-Shaken, something to explore before June.   It’s safe to assume nobody in Washington has thought about us and nobody at the phone company who is fluent in geek also speaks English.

On 12/16/2020 at 6:43 PM, burndoc said:

Get calls from hospital residents and staff all the time. Pagers of course a thing of the past. Tough to ignore unknown calls because 9 times out of 10 I need to take the call. The other one pisses me off. Oh well. 

+1 same here Drs office & drugs  ready are ready calls and many others I need to answer come through as numbers or unknowns etc.. We pick up every time. We started using the old school blocker on the land line wireless phone and it’s blocker on the cell. Att land line blocker seems to work, as does the Sprint one on the cell. The Pre-election calls were the worst.

email phishing is going down after I started forwarding it to banks and the feds. Still 75 a day is in the spam filter daily. Is a lot.  I get $20,000,000 usd in offers weekly.

“The mobile phone is there for my convenience, not yours”

My phone spends most of its life on silent, missed calls from contacts are returned when I notice them, messages are listened to once a week, robo calls if answered are terminated and the number blocked.

Robo texts are a bigger problem easily solved with the delete function.

Since the first lockdown in June I've had the front desk call overflow (or primary if the front desk person isn't in or we lockdown again etc) rolling to my desk phone, which also rings the soft phone (my cell). That pretty much killed my ability to screen only contacts I know, I need to answer all calls. The only exception are numbers from my home area code. I know those are spam if I don't have a contact saved. 

I love also been getting hit with call center calls for lowering my energy bill. Those are humans, at least, so I get to fuck with them for a while. I try to waste as much of their time as possible. One time they asked if my mom or dad were home, so I brought my voice up an octave and said they were in the bathroom and pretended to call them. 

2 hours ago, mustang__1 said:

Since the first lockdown in June I've had the front desk call overflow (or primary if the front desk person isn't in or we lockdown again etc) rolling to my desk phone, which also rings the soft phone (my cell). That pretty much killed my ability to screen only contacts I know, I need to answer all calls. The only exception are numbers from my home area code. I know those are spam if I don't have a contact saved. 

I love also been getting hit with call center calls for lowering my energy bill. Those are humans, at least, so I get to fuck with them for a while. I try to waste as much of their time as possible. One time they asked if my mom or dad were home, so I brought my voice up an octave and said they were in the bathroom and pretended to call them. 

I think the rollover stuff would have been sufficient motivation to get a burner phone just for that... 

An old tactic. 

Wait till they finish their spiel, then you go silent.

"Hello, Mr. Smith are you there?" 

You reply in a low, slow voice, "I'm naked." 

Flustered response: "Well can I speak with Mrs. Smith?" 

"She's tied up right now."

<click>

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

I think the rollover stuff would have been sufficient motivation to get a burner phone just for that... 

In retrospect..... The good news is once this shit is over I can stop forwarding front desk calls to my extension and go back to ignoring numbers I don't recognize. I could probably stop now but I'm a bit appaled at how long it takes a call to get answered in the second hunr group so I've kept it going. One of the people that used to be part of the second group is remote and threw a huge hissy fit when I said I wanted to get her back in the queue (oh my God I'm so overburdened and working from home is so difficult.... Nevermind I've automated about half of her job over the last six months)

• Like 1