Diesel Bug and Marine 16 treatment - is it working?

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am a bit worried about responding because this subject does seem to goad some posters into calling me names . It seems to affect their equanimity in some way that I am not using magnets, removing th

I post this in a light hearted way   I think I did not even deserve to be (french)  toasted    I was merely  sharing the unfolding of an experiment I am uniquely positioned to carr

Has the flaming stopped yet?  

Posted Images

Espar hydronic heater - heats the hot water tank.  So I can do dishes and have a shower.  It is most excellent.  Does a great job of heating the boat as well...

The heater units I'm using are from Heatercraft, they work well - 12v fans to move the air around, and one of them has 2x ducts on it so I have heat in the head.

The shower on my boat is better than the one at home.  I fitted a Mira minilite thermostatic mixing valve. The shower rose has a trigger to keep usage down.  A chamois leather is used to dry the head compartment afterwards.  Haven't used a marina ablution block in years.

• Like 1

@Whinging Pom I like your solution but I don't think I have room for it on my boat.

I think my one complaint is that it's a long run from the water heater to the head. It does waste a bit of water to get the cold water out of the lines. Then, the water saving shower process of rinse down/water off/suds up/water on/rinse down allows the water in the line to cool rapidly on those early spring and late fall days.

I wonder if some sort of insulating wrap on the hot water hose would be beneficial?

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

@Whinging Pom I like your solution but I don't think I have room for it on my boat.

I think my one complaint is that it's a long run from the water heater to the head. It does waste a bit of water to get the cold water out of the lines. Then, the water saving shower process of rinse down/water off/suds up/water on/rinse down allows the water in the line to cool rapidly on those early spring and late fall days.

I wonder if some sort of insulating wrap on the hot water hose would be beneficial?

You could fit a valve to dump water back into the tank until it gets hot.

2 hours ago, Ajax said:

I think it's a pretty safe bet that insulating the hot water line would help. Even in this day and age, thermodynamics still applies.

Never go to sea without a chamois.  Just the job for drying your hands before working charts etc.  The great thing is they never run out of the ability to dry.  The other always take item is a roll of polythene rubble sacks.  Just the job for dealing with deck leaks, torn oilskins, keeping sleeping bags dry etc, etc.

10 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

You could fit a valve to dump water back into the tank until it gets hot.

Our head water is hot by the time it fills the tea kettle. 

9 hours ago, IStream said:

I think it's a pretty safe bet that insulating the hot water line would help. Even in this day and age, thermodynamics still applies.

Yep, I put plumbing pipe foam covers over all the places I could reach. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

To expand on that, all our drinking water goes into a Brita filter jug, then to the tea kettle. Makes a huge difference in the taste. 

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

To expand on that, all our drinking water goes into a Brita filter jug, then to the tea kettle. Makes a huge difference in the taste. 

Still, drinking head water is a bit extreme. Don't you have faucets in the galley? 

1 hour ago, Elegua said:

Still, drinking head water is a bit extreme. Don't you have faucets in the galley? 

We're very green out here, we recycle everything. 

On 1/24/2021 at 3:05 PM, slap said:

The only times my diesel wouldn't start was due to electrical problems.  So the vaccine would have been a hand starter.

My engine is reluctant to start in the cold. I dont think it's just the battery.

I'd like to install a filter on the line but I'm not running stuff through a Brita pitcher and then into whatever cooking receptacle.  My tank water already tastes fine to me. I clean them seasonally.

2 hours ago, Ajax said:

I'd like to install a filter on the line but I'm not running stuff through a Brita pitcher and then into whatever cooking receptacle.  My tank water already tastes fine to me. I clean them seasonally.

We fill our tanks whenever/wherever we can while cruising, so there is a bit of *variety* in taste, running it through a Brita smooths it out. A filter would be a nice option, but that cabinet is already full of stuff. 

• Like 1

This couple sailed from the UK to NZ, and a few miles from the end this happened, see from minute 52.