Jump to content

Diesel Bug and Marine 16 treatment - is it working?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am a bit worried about responding because this subject does seem to goad some posters into calling me names . It seems to affect their equanimity in some way that I am not using magnets, removing th

I post this in a light hearted way   I think I did not even deserve to be (french)  toasted    I was merely  sharing the unfolding of an experiment I am uniquely positioned to carr

Has the flaming stopped yet?  

Posted Images

Espar hydronic heater - heats the hot water tank.  So I can do dishes and have a shower.  It is most excellent.  Does a great job of heating the boat as well...

The heater units I'm using are from Heatercraft, they work well - 12v fans to move the air around, and one of them has 2x ducts on it so I have heat in the head.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The shower on my boat is better than the one at home.  I fitted a Mira minilite thermostatic mixing valve. The shower rose has a trigger to keep usage down.  A chamois leather is used to dry the head compartment afterwards.  Haven't used a marina ablution block in years.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Whinging Pom I like your solution but I don't think I have room for it on my boat.

I think my one complaint is that it's a long run from the water heater to the head. It does waste a bit of water to get the cold water out of the lines. Then, the water saving shower process of rinse down/water off/suds up/water on/rinse down allows the water in the line to cool rapidly on those early spring and late fall days.

I wonder if some sort of insulating wrap on the hot water hose would be beneficial?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ajax said:

@Whinging Pom I like your solution but I don't think I have room for it on my boat.

I think my one complaint is that it's a long run from the water heater to the head. It does waste a bit of water to get the cold water out of the lines. Then, the water saving shower process of rinse down/water off/suds up/water on/rinse down allows the water in the line to cool rapidly on those early spring and late fall days.

I wonder if some sort of insulating wrap on the hot water hose would be beneficial?

You could fit a valve to dump water back into the tank until it gets hot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ajax said:

@Whinging Pom I like your solution but I don't think I have room for it on my boat.

I think my one complaint is that it's a long run from the water heater to the head. It does waste a bit of water to get the cold water out of the lines. Then, the water saving shower process of rinse down/water off/suds up/water on/rinse down allows the water in the line to cool rapidly on those early spring and late fall days.

I wonder if some sort of insulating wrap on the hot water hose would be beneficial?

I think it's a pretty safe bet that insulating the hot water line would help. Even in this day and age, thermodynamics still applies.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Never go to sea without a chamois.  Just the job for drying your hands before working charts etc.  The great thing is they never run out of the ability to dry.  The other always take item is a roll of polythene rubble sacks.  Just the job for dealing with deck leaks, torn oilskins, keeping sleeping bags dry etc, etc.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

You could fit a valve to dump water back into the tank until it gets hot.

Our head water is hot by the time it fills the tea kettle. 

9 hours ago, IStream said:

I think it's a pretty safe bet that insulating the hot water line would help. Even in this day and age, thermodynamics still applies.

Yep, I put plumbing pipe foam covers over all the places I could reach. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Our head water is hot by the time it fills the tea kettle. 

To expand on that, all our drinking water goes into a Brita filter jug, then to the tea kettle. Makes a huge difference in the taste. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Our head water is hot by the time it fills the tea kettle. 

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

To expand on that, all our drinking water goes into a Brita filter jug, then to the tea kettle. Makes a huge difference in the taste. 

Still, drinking head water is a bit extreme. Don't you have faucets in the galley? 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Elegua said:

Still, drinking head water is a bit extreme. Don't you have faucets in the galley? 

 

 

We're very green out here, we recycle everything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2021 at 3:05 PM, slap said:

The only times my diesel wouldn't start was due to electrical problems.  So the vaccine would have been a hand starter.

My engine is reluctant to start in the cold. I dont think it's just the battery.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to install a filter on the line but I'm not running stuff through a Brita pitcher and then into whatever cooking receptacle.  My tank water already tastes fine to me. I clean them seasonally.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ajax said:

I'd like to install a filter on the line but I'm not running stuff through a Brita pitcher and then into whatever cooking receptacle.  My tank water already tastes fine to me. I clean them seasonally.

We fill our tanks whenever/wherever we can while cruising, so there is a bit of *variety* in taste, running it through a Brita smooths it out. A filter would be a nice option, but that cabinet is already full of stuff. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This couple sailed from the UK to NZ, and a few miles from the end this happened, see from minute 52.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements


×
×
  • Create New...