Docking. When it all goes wrong.

jeebus fucking kryst!

17 minutes ago, glass said:

Looks like one of the out of control Persian boats at the battle of Salamis.

Damnit, 7 minutes too late to make a Battle of Salamis joke... 

That was just horrifying.  Towards the end he looked like he'd just about got it placed, then full throttle to rake the port side of that catamaran... unfathomable! 

Also, I thought this thread was going to be about the other sort of docking (see Urban Dictionary).  Makes for a redundant thread title. 

2 hours ago, Geff said:

Holy WOW!  WTF was that?

It's called Med-Tie and when it goes wrong... it has the possibility of going VERY wrong!

Ripping up 2 or 3 anchors and not being able to get clear. Classic charterboat Fuck-up with a capital F.

When I got my first job as a charter boat captain in Greece (I was 21 years old) my interview was simple: take these models out on a photo-shoot. The boat was Med-Tied to a concrete quay filled with boats -- no extra space. I had never done it before, but I read about it. Nailed it leaving and coming back. Got the job. Had an amazing year!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Looked like the crew was in uniform to boot.

I'm surprised the people on the victim boats weren't throwing hard objects at them.

My first thought too - are they "professionals" (well, charter employees)? 

4 hours ago, longy said:

That is why, when I wuz running a Baltic 51 in the Med, the boat was NEVER left un-attended in a popular spot.

I ran one of those in the Med too, in 1981.  Two anchors, one all chain, one rope/chain, and I only ever left the boat to dine or drink at the taverna right there on the dock.  That was in the days before bareboat charters, but there was still a plentiful supply of idiots around.

gotta love that boarding ramp raking the side of the catamaran at 2:00.

Musta left a heck of a groove in the gelcoat.

boom says sailgreece.gr  which is a rental company.

who checked this twit out prior to departure?

Good thing you apparently need a licence to charter a sailboat in Greece. Otherwise that skipper shit show would have been illegal. I hope he got his for a good price (obviously skills were not that much involved in the process), could use the spare, now.

What's up with the prop offset to port, unless maybe it was twin screw and the starboard one was already fouled?

Does anyone even build a boat with an off centerline engine these days?

Edit: Never mind, prolly just the rudder deflecting the wash! My bad!

5 minutes ago, Willin' said:

What's up with the prop offset to port, unless maybe it was twin screw and the starboard one was already fouled?

Does anyone even build a boat with an off centerline engine these days?

it is not an offset.

If you watch at 1:40 he has the rudder hard overs to hip check the port bow of the catamaran at full speed.

As he backs it down,  you can see he spins it back to recenter it.

Then he cranks it back 1 more time while hammering the throttle for another hull to hull, rub'n is rac'n power drive.

Gotta love a skipper who is confident in their skills/manhood and does not pussyfoot around..  ;<)

Taylor Products needs  to come out with a hull condom (tm) to protect against such hijinx from captains who think Robert Redford in All is Lost was a super skipper.

• Like 2

Never chartered, but at what point would you just jump on the boat and park it???  There were numerous times someone on the cat could have done it...  Obviously, you are asking for a boot to the nut from the driver, but at what point does the damage being caused require that drastic action??  

Classic Med -moor gone wrong when the  Meltemi  is blowing.  This guy did not even have his anchor down!!! We chartered in Greece and went to Emioni for the night, a beautiful village but a crowded anchorage. The wind funnels into the harbor and the quay is dead downwind. Standard docking drill is to first align stern to at some distance, drop anchor and back straight into the dock,  gently snugging  anchor  line  whenever the bow starts to wander .  You generally get only one shot when it is blowing .  We saw a guy unknowingly drop his anchor into the dinghy that was was "trailing" and back hard right into the concrete wall with nothing to stop him.  Wonders never cease!!!

21 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Never chartered, but at what point would you just jump on the boat and park it???  There were numerous times someone on the cat could have done it...  Obviously, you are asking for a boot to the nut from the driver, but at what point does the damage being caused require that drastic action??  

I've done it in situations that weren't quite that bad.  Had one fellow we were pulling off a sand bar (pulling him back off it) put his shifter in forward and gun it.  He had some odd idea that the thrust would tilt the boat and make it easier for us to back him off.  Of course, I was told he "had it under control" afterwards.  I'm not patient.

5 hours ago, SEC16518 said:

I think they needed a few more people dangling bumpers to make it work....lol

no shit. they are all lucky to not have gotten injured. Something could have violently broken, especially in the last move when the boarding ramp is doing its thing.

"Man I rented a piece of shit in Greece: when you turn the wheel left, the stern would go right! Crazy fucking Greeks! No wonder their empire fell a long time ago."

• Like 2

I couldn't even figure out what he was trying to do; arrive or leave? I will take the word of a few upthread that he was arriving, at least initially. At one point he finds the bow thruster, but only uses it for a second or two.  I think he could have solved a lot of problems by just using that. He could have solved a lot of problems by just turning the motor off and drifting into  position with the help of the people fending off. But nooooo, full throttle and ramming speed were the orders for the day.

I've never med-moored before. I don't think I ever will after watching that. And then the mooring field fiasco set to a Strauss waltz. I like my boat; perhaps I should avoid areas with charter fleets.

• Like 1

Some outstanding seamanship there!

If only he had more horsepower, he could have saved the day!

I laughed when his stbd aft cleat picked up the anchor of the boat he was destroying on his port side - and again when the pasarol got wiped off in the high-speed escape manoeuvre.

5 hours ago, Norm01 said:

Somebody Else, 

You only half finished the story … how did you go with the models ?

The models were just sitting there like models do. The directors were doing what they always do... ask for impossible points of sail and boat locations.

Before I could get the boat put away, the models had been whisked away. Not to worry... that year was so full of Close Encounters of the Female Kind that missing one or two just wasn't an issue. Are you aware of how easily young yacht skippers score? It seriously makes one complacent.

• Like 1

Stern on mooring is quite common on the Norfolk broads, and they let hire boaters out with 40ft boats having had just a total of 1/2 hour instruction at most..

if its a small day boat of say 20ft they are lucky if they get shown where the throttle is..

It's often a source of amusement sitting on the sailing club quay, watching the hire boaters trying to moor at the pub a hundred feet or way or so.. they have no clue as to how to position the boat to reverse in, and have no idea of the tide /  and or wind in either direction.

Not so amusing is when they try and get off the pub mooring adjoining  the club grounds.. which you are not permitted to stern moor on there, but they try anyway.. I've often had to use the club rescue dory to push / pull the hire boats off so they don't damage ours..

That mooring is a lee shore to the normal south westerly winds, I've seen them sliding up and down the mooring, hitting the southern Comfort and a club boat. Then had to rush round there to stop them and show them how to get off a lee shore without a bow thruster..

On 12/16/2020 at 7:23 AM, Israel Hands said:

Here's one choreographed to Strauss

About 5 minutes in to watching it, after all that effort by the various dinghies and the fruitless efforts of the boat's crew to deploy friggin fenders, when the dinghy skipper finds out that there's another boat's anchor line marker float hung up on the rudder,  I actually let out an audible sigh of exasperation, and thought how tough it must have been to not just say "fuck it, you're on your own".

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Boudreaux said:

Most important lesson I ever learned about docking.  "No shame in pulling out and taking a second shot at it."

Yep, and the second lesson was "eeeeeasy on the throttle" - not all the on or all the way astern or all the way over to port or all the way to starboard- the dang bowthruster is the only thing used sparingly, I think its use was inadvertent on the part of the "skipper" like he accidentally bumped a switch 

17 minutes ago, Latadjust said:

Yep, and the second lesson was "eeeeeasy on the throttle" - not all the on or all the way astern or all the way over to port or all the way to starboard- the dang bowthruster is the only thing used sparingly, I think its use was inadvertent on the part of the "skipper" like he accidentally bumped a switch 

You should get a better teacher. 

On many boats correctly timed bursts of full reverse (briefly) and full forward (briefly) can move a 5ksb around very accurately within its own diameter as if it had twin screws and a bow thruster.

• Like 1
Just now, SF Woody Sailor said:
20 minutes ago, Latadjust said:

On many boats correctly timed bursts of full reverse (briefly) and full forward (briefly) can move a 5ksb around very accurately within its own diameter as if it had twin screws and a bow thruster.

Alle to true, butte 'decisievenesse' wase lessone twellve, so you hade to sticke withe it..................                :)

22 minutes ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

That's true,  that ability develops from finesse and working up from there. THIS guy is starting from the other end of the spectrum!

1 hour ago, Latadjust said:

That's true,  that ability develops from finesse and working up from there. THIS guy is starting from the other end of the spectrum!

No kidding!  
Lesson 1: don’t ever pilot any vehicle or vessel or craft ever again, ever. 

Here endeth the lesson 

17 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

Are you aware of how easily young yacht skippers score? 

A lot, but not as much as the guys who tell chicks they are Dolphin trainers do.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

A lot, but not as much as the guys who tell chicks they are Dolphin trainers do.

This is reminding me of that movie Duece Bigelow, Male Gigolo: 

Fish tank cleaner "What do you do for a living?"

Gigolo "Women pay me to give them pleasure."

Fish tank cleaner "How'd you get that job?"

Gigolo "Oh, I just sort of worked my way into it "

Fish tank cleaner "I'm going to KILL my guidance counselor!"

• Like 1

We nailed the med moor in croatia, but had to give advice to the locals about anchoring because they never do that - pick where you want your anchor, deploy every bit of chain you have (on top of the anchor), then motor astern and wonder why it doesn't hold!

The plus side in Vis was the chicks, who obviously knew a lot more than their boyfriends, weren't wearing very much, so motoring over in the dinghy and offering advice wasn't onerous.

A buddy was working for a bareboat company in Greece many years ago when he got a VHF call from a customer asking for another anchor. 

"You have two on the bow rollers," he answered, "and there's a small Danforth with ten meters of chain and some nylon rode under the forward berth." 

"Yes, we know.  But we used them all."

• Like 2

If I had ANY concerns about getting the boat in there the first time, I'd be inclined to just drop the hook in the bay and wait it out or just use the dinghy. 

On 12/16/2020 at 11:18 AM, mathystuff said:

Surely the only way it could have been better would be with some snaggletoothian cursing in greek.

Malaka!

This would have been so much better if it happened in Italy. The language the gestures 

• Like 2

The thing even has a bow thruster! So they could have literally steered it like a car with the thruster and left the rudder alone! Definitely would have a shot at the cluelessness Olympics. Also gotta love holding a fender vertically to try to fend off the bow! So many things wrong it's hard to know where to start! 

Surprised no one jumped on board to forcibly take the over the controls (and/or punch/restrain/throw overboard the guy)! Or at least get in an inflatable and do some "active fending off". That used to be my job when maneuvering in tight quarters (to be on standby bow thruster duty) or when some other out of control thing was getting close: ram them and push them away with the dinghy before they hit you!

• Like 1
On 12/16/2020 at 8:50 AM, J_Grove said:

Someone could probably scratch out a living live streaming this kind of thing.

Where I launch and recover, we have the Chit Show

Wavy Boats has a great channel on YouTube as well. He usually posts videos on the shit show that is Haulover inlet but this one's an all timer at Boynton inlet.

On 12/17/2020 at 7:27 PM, Snaggletooth said:

I keepe clickeng on blue ass it brigges me to some sailleng vidio................                   :)

She's going to be hurting for the next few days from that sunburn.