yeah, but when comparing stock boat against stock boat the J/45 has the advantage. pretty sure a "top" J/45 will run with bigger sails as well. so not really a valid argument is it? plus, even though the boat is indeed 1300kg heavier then the x, the ballast on the J/45 of 1000kg is responsible for that. which would indicate a higher stability and thus the ability to run bigger kites. but this is a cruiser. The X has the p for performance added to the name.

Schermafbeelding 2021-08-06 om 22.35.34.png

Schermafbeelding 2021-08-06 om 22.35.26.png

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2020 at 11:13 AM, Matagi said:

J45-Profile.jpg

J45InteriorPlans.jpg

Looks more agressive on the drawing board than in the rendering. Inverse bow, even. Is this the first J/ with a fixed bowsprit? 

I would love to redesign the interior for offshore racing with a 10 person crew.

No forward head and an empty forepeak with a platform under the bow hatch.

2 Saloon settee berths with 2 pipe berths above and one owners rack aft

Aft walk through head with walk through to the cockpit locker like the J133.

I know that prices are just going through the roof, but still...

Sorry,

I'm confident that ballpark figure of 875,000 USD mentioned above is well overpriced for a J, even for that size.

I'd rather say that number quoted above is a wrong estimate.

Fore reference, a JPK 45 is 9.6 tons, has a larger asym, looks like it can drive you to the North Pole singlehandedly and allegedly costs roughly 400,000 EUR.

That is also roughly the price I'd expect (and even call that above acceptable) for the J/45.

112057-59b150b65b68f61cd851ff8917fc66d6_zpsvvtozymm.jpg

12 hours ago, jackolantern said:

very puffy puff piece. They actually made the claim that they’re the fastest in their size range.

That's cute. At 10.4 tons per specs, I highly doubt it.

They won't have a problem to eat an X4-6 or a Dehler 46, but I think a Grand Soleil 44 or the Italia 13.98 will punch the J into the corner.

I would even expect a 20 year old Swan 45 design to be very competitive against this design.

On 10/31/2021 at 6:50 AM, Matagi said:

Sorry,

I'm confident that ballpark figure of 875,000 USD mentioned above is well overpriced for a J, even for that size.

Fore reference, a JPK 45 is 9.6 tons, has a larger asym, looks like it can drive you to the North Pole singlehandedly and allegedly costs roughly 400,000 EUR.

That is also roughly the price I'd expect (and even call that above acceptable) for the J/45.

I've seen the pricing sheet, and once you put sails and instruments on her I think that 875k number is just about right, perhaps even a little light.  You won't get much change from a million on this one.

On 10/31/2021 at 3:50 AM, Matagi said:

Sorry,

That JPK 45 looks awesome!  

Your logic on price though...  A J/121 costs more than 400k euros.  Why would you think the J/45 would be less?  

On 10/31/2021 at 12:01 PM, Matagi said:

That's cute. At 10.4 tons per specs, I highly doubt it.

They won't have a problem to eat an X4-6 or a Dehler 46, but I think a Grand Soleil 44 or the Italia 13.98 will punch the J into the corner.

I would even expect a 20 year old Swan 45 design to be very competitive against this design.

swan 45 would be close in shape. however, on the swan 45, the higher aspect keel combined with 280 draft would always win over a similar hull shape with a more moderate keel and less draft

On 10/31/2021 at 6:33 AM, 15 Tons said:

I would love to redesign the interior for offshore racing with a 10 person crew.

Aft walk through head with walk through to the cockpit locker like the J133.

That’s not really the point. It’s marketed as a cruising boat. There are better choices for offshore racing, I’m sure even J would concede. 

2 hours ago, Alaris said:

That’s not really the point. It’s marketed as a cruising boat. There are better choices for offshore racing, I’m sure even J would concede. 

J Boats built the J/145 for that racing market and they sold, what?  A few?  

• Like 1

I visited her in Cannes. I loved very much!

To my question: what are we talking about for the finished boat?
Answer: € 750,000

Only 2 things the seller said surprised me (no specifications in the 2 J's website):
- balsa for the core (instead PVC/termanto)
- the one big water tank is under the bed in the forward cabin

She is very expensive, but if I could, I would buy it today!

39 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

They built 18.  Not bad for a 48' production racer IMHO.

As a comparison they built 67 J/44's, 35 J/46's, and 35 J/160's.

56 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

But it was designed as a racer, the others as cruisers.  What's your point?

Exactly.  The point is cruisers sell better than racers.  Which is why the J/45 does not have the racing features requested above (and pasted below).  

"I would love to redesign the interior for offshore racing with a 10 person crew.

Aft walk through head with walk through to the cockpit locker like the J133."

On 11/10/2021 at 7:36 AM, Swimsailor said:

But it was designed as a racer, the others as cruisers.  What's your point?

The J-44 was most assuredly not built as a cruiser.  It was built as an ocean racer from the get go.  Yeah, you can cruise the 44, but it was built with Newport-Bermuda, Annapolis-Newport or Marblehead-Halifax in mind.

2 hours ago, Crash said:

The J-44 was most assuredly not built as a cruiser.  It was built as an ocean racer from the get go.  Yeah, you can cruise the 44, but it was built with Newport-Bermuda, Annapolis-Newport or Marblehead-Halifax in mind.

Didnt the J-44 come in two different configurations if I recall?  One had all the furniture and comfort systems, and then there was more stripped out version with a carbon mast and other lightening things as part of the performance package?  No?

You can kinda see the difference here with all wood interior:
1990 J Boats J44

vs the lighter interior

Performance

or was this all cosmetic?

I think it was just cosmetic.  The white with teak trim version was called the "Herreshoff" interior.  The J-44 was designed back when the IMS rule still credited full interiors, so you could have a "well rounded, comfortable" ocean racer/cruiser.