State of RaceQs

Does anyone know what the state of the company that developed RaceQ's is? The service is working for me but it looks like the iPhone App has not been updated for 4 years and also the Facebook page and the forum on their website seems to be pretty dormant. This may be a long shot but does anyone know how to contact the developers?

Something I'm familiar with - great software that needs a less altruistic business model.  If people don't heed the requests for community support (hey, buy me a cup of coffee for using my great software) then things get abandoned after a while.

According to one source the iOS app is written in ObjectiveC and would need to be completely rewritten.

The PC replay app has seemed wonky to me for a while as well. Even in its heyday a few years ago the help forum was never very active and didn't seem to be monitored by the team. 

I wonder, if they went to a subscription model would anyone buy it? I'd seriously consider it myself at a reasonable annual fee. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, TJSoCal said:

According to one source the iOS app is written in ObjectiveC and would need to be completely rewritten.

The PC replay app has seemed wonky to me for a while as well. Even in its heyday a few years ago the help forum was never very active and didn't seem to be monitored by the team. 

I wonder, if they went to a subscription model would anyone buy it? I'd seriously consider it myself at a reasonable annual fee. 

People are so addicted to "free", without realizing that "free" really means tracking everything you do and selling that information to advertisers, that they are much more willing to part with their privacy than their money.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

People are so addicted to "free", without realizing that "free" really means tracking everything you do and selling that information to advertisers, that they are much more willing to part with their privacy than their money.

I happily pay for emsils addresses

Yrt i still have gmsil and uoutube

You csnt win!

If all 45,000 members of US Sailing signed up for $10 a month, that's $5.4M/year. That's a tight budget for a multi-platform app with significant 3D functionality and the back-end services to support it all. You might be able to simplify by transitioning to a pure WebGL experience, but hitting even 10% of the TAM seems challenging particularly when the TAM is so tiny compared to nearly any other mobile or webdev job.

• 10 months later...

The only development seems to be of the Watch App which is a separate development by Alan Smith in Australia. 
https://www.facebook.com/RaceQs-Watch-App-Beta-1686063161677280/

If RaceQs had followed the fremium business model of iRegatta and others I think it would have been a much better business.

I note that Julia Berg who made the tutorial videos and was Director of Marketing Communications at RaceQs is no longer at the company.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/julia-berg-09215329

Probably didn't help that it was based in the USA where the main market is in Europe - more regattas, more big events, more sailing participation etc.

On 12/18/2020 at 3:57 PM, TJSoCal said:

I have ceased to call nav in ocean races and rarely distance race anymore as I tend to only sail dinghies and sportboats, but I still pay for Expedition when required and I pay for iNavX.  There are those that will pay if asked.  Has to be better than the cup of coffee method.

On 11/5/2021 at 8:48 PM, Pewit said:

The only development seems to be of the Watch App which is a separate development by Alan Smith in Australia. 
https://www.facebook.com/RaceQs-Watch-App-Beta-1686063161677280/

If RaceQs had followed the fremium business model of iRegatta and others I think it would have been a much better business.

I note that Julia Berg who made the tutorial videos and was Director of Marketing Communications at RaceQs is no longer at the company.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/julia-berg-09215329

Probably didn't help that it was based in the USA where the main market is in Europe - more regattas, more big events, more sailing participation etc.

I wouldn't be so sure.  I have personally known dozens of people that use RaceQ's in various events in the US.  Watching a replay on the overhead at the bar was always amusing.

RaceQs was created by and is still maintained by a well-known Bay Area sailor who sails in the J/88 & the J/105 fleets. It is still very much up & running. We still use it sporadically in our 105 regattas, and we've used it as a debriefing tool for our fleet chats.

See, e.g. J/105 Berkeley Circle Debrief

We're trying to get the entire fleet to buy into it as it's only useful if all or substantially all boats are running it. Unfortunately, there's a disincentive in the minds of some boats to share their tracks if they're not compelled to, so the Fleet has tossed around the idea of actually requiring it in the SIs.

RaceQs is a wonderful tool but it's only as useful as a fleet makes it.

5 hours ago, Foredeck Shuffle said:

I have ceased to call nav in ocean races and rarely distance race anymore as I tend to only sail dinghies and sportboats, but I still pay for Expedition when required and I pay for iNavX.  There are those that will pay if asked.  Has to be better than the cup of coffee method.

This. As it turns out, people are much more willing to part with their privacy than their money.

33 minutes ago, GrandWeasel said:

RaceQs was created by and is still maintained by a well-known Bay Area sailor who sails in the J/88 & the J/105 fleets. It is still very much up & running. We still use it sporadically in our 105 regattas, and we've used it as a debriefing tool for our fleet chats.

See, e.g. J/105 Berkeley Circle Debrief

We're trying to get the entire fleet to buy into it as it's only useful if all or substantially all boats are running it. Unfortunately, there's a disincentive in the minds of some boats to share their tracks if they're not compelled to, so the Fleet has tossed around the idea of actually requiring it in the SIs.

RaceQs is a wonderful tool but it's only as useful as a fleet makes it.

I can see being worried about real time tracking on a distance race, but why worry about it on buoy races?

38 minutes ago, George Dewey said:

We’re having the same problem in Charleston, there seems to be an unspoken resistance to using it and some  have cited that real time track reporting. If he could make it delay real time results that might help.

You can turn real time off.  

25 minutes ago, TJSoCal said:

I can see being worried about real time tracking on a distance race, but why worry about it on buoy races?

Because it's super foggy on the bayB)

J/K. I'm not saying it's a rational worry, but it is a worry of some boats, some just to save the embarrassment...

On 11/5/2021 at 5:48 PM, Pewit said:

The developer never intended to run it as a business. He's a software designer who does this in his spare time. 

Just now, Rain Man said:

Can we just send him money to encourage him then?

I'm happy to make an introduction if you're serious, I just think he does fine in his day job & doesn't necessarily want to do this for money, but I can't speak for him...DM me if you like

6 minutes ago, GrandWeasel said:

I'm happy to make an introduction if you're serious, I just think he does fine in his day job & doesn't necessarily want to do this for money, but I can't speak for him...DM me if you like

At least half serious.  Our club has been using RaceQ's for a while and might be interested in seeing it continue.  Let me me ask and I will DM you if there is interest in supporting it.

My soaring club discovered that one of our main weather sources was coming from a paraglider pilot who was paying out of his pocket to run his software on-line as a service to other pilots.  We came up with a donation for him.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, GrandWeasel said:

I'll volunteer to help him (I'm a software guy).

1 hour ago, GrandWeasel said:

Because it's super foggy on the bayB)

J/K. I'm not saying it's a rational worry, but it is a worry of some boats, some just to save the embarrassment...

The club that runs our Thursday night Pop-Tops has a launch out taking video at marks, and they run it on the clubhouse TVs after the race. There's frequently an embarrassment factor there...