Eight bells for the man who proved that America was discovered by a Kerryman

7 hours ago, Black Sox said:

Professor John Harbison’s death announced today as well, at the same age. Coincidence?

Sox, the strange coincidence about Harbison was that he died on the day that Joanne Hayes finally had her named cleared, 36 after the Kerry Babies case began.  Harbison was state pathologist at the time.

He wasn't the worst of the crew of eminent bastards who destroyed Joanne Hayes's life ... but none of the people who abused their power were ever punished.  Same as nearly every one of the big scandals of the last few decades 

• Like 2
On 12/19/2020 at 8:45 AM, TwoLegged said:

Thank you for this Two Legs, beautiful piece of music.

Tim Severin, and more specifically the Brendan Voyage really opened my eyes to how much of history we really do not know.

We tend to judge our ancestors only by the material things they left for us to find in old manuscripts or buried in the ground. That sometimes can make us forget that they were people just like us, with inventiveness, curiosity and a sense of adventure in abundance.

Tim's voyages brought this to life in a very tangible way.

Fair winds to him!

• Like 2

My own obituary will read like this: "Farewell to a man who re-created Severin's Brendan voyage, or rather tried, since he didn' t get beyond Iceland, despite sailing a more seaworthy 24ft sloop - thus proving alas nothing, except that great books can truly influence life of other people especially 25 years old young men, for the better."

Thank you Tim Severin. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
On 12/21/2020 at 9:09 PM, Ganzi said:

My own obituary will read like this: "Farewell to a man who re-created Severin's Brendan voyage, or rather tried, since he didn' t get beyond Iceland, despite sailing a more seaworthy 24ft sloop - thus proving alas nothing, except that great books can truly influence life of other people especially 25 years old young men, for the better."

Thank you Tim Severin. 

Ganzi, you're wrong. They got way beyond Iceland, to  Peckford Island, Newfoundland.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/arid-20451111.html

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0620/884207-currach-from-dingle-to-newfoundland/

20 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:
On 12/21/2020 at 1:09 PM, Ganzi said:

Thank you Tim Severin. 

Ganzi, you're wrong. They got way beyond Iceland, to  Peckford Island, Newfoundland.

I think you misread that.

I'm pretty sure Ganzi was saying he (Ganzi) didn't get beyond Iceland...that he (Ganzi) had tried (and apparently failed ) to recreate the voyage in what he calls a more modern seaworthy 24' sloop

1 hour ago, Crash said:

I'm pretty sure Ganzi was saying he (Ganzi) didn't get beyond Iceland...that he (Ganzi) had tried (and apparently failed ) to recreate the voyage in what he calls a more modern seaworthy 24' sloop

Fair enough.  I had interpreted "my own obituary" as "the obituary I'd write of Tim", but now I see the other meaning, and it seems more likely what was intended.  The 24-ft sloop bit also makes more sense that way.

I recall reading "The Brendan Voyage" as a teenager. 

Severin (and his kind) were other-worldly to me and vastly opened up my horizons.  I grew up in a home where the great ambition I was encouraged to achieve was to get a job stocking shelves at the grocery store because that was steady work that would always be in demand.  To read about someone undertaking a great voyage made me think about other possibilities....

Fair winds....

• Like 2