RoG 15 - Batboat of the year

That thing screams "Chesapeake Exploration."  Trailerable, rowable, tiny cabin for overnighting,  light. 9 knots!?!  An "inside" Delmarva circuit would be a blast in that.

It has an interesting and appealing combination of traditional and modern visual aspects. I like the rig in the video better than the wishbone rig in the article (strictly from an aesthetic standpoint).

For $2500 for a complete kit, what's not to like?

• Like 2

I see a lot to like here for a camp cruiser with a bit of zip to it.  It's conceptually similar to the longer LiteBoat XP 20, but way cheaper.

However. for me it seems to share a common failing with the XP20: no easy way to lower the masts while afloat, and carry them board for going under bridges.  The journeys I have in mind for such a boat include low bridges,but that doesn't seem to be part of the design brief :(

• Like 1

Interesting boat. Interesting that it is a cat ketch, and the batten arrangement on the black one. Not fond of the color.

Careful look at the mainsail shows the dilemma of a square head sail combined with wishbone, look particularly at the pictures in the 3rd link. It is very hard to get enough leech tension to remove excessive twist. The black boat does a little better due to the unusual batten and sheeting arrangement. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

I see a lot to like here for a camp cruiser with a bit of zip to it.  It's conceptually similar to the longer LiteBoat XP 20, but way cheaper.

However. for me it seems to share a common failing with the XP20: no easy way to lower the masts while afloat, and carry them board for going under bridges.  The journeys I have in mind for such a boat include low bridges,but that doesn't seem to be part of the design brief :(

In fact Bedard designed it for the Everglades Challenge, which requires masts to be able to be lowered (and presumably carried on board).  Anyway, lots about it on his design site.  Various YT build vids also (*only* about $10k to build :-) ).  

It’s a very cool boat, very complex.  At least one person here on SA/CA building one.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DDW said:

Interesting boat. Interesting that it is a cat ketch, and the batten arrangement on the black one. Not fond of the color.

Careful look at the mainsail shows the dilemma of a square head sail combined with wishbone, look particularly at the pictures in the 3rd link. It is very hard to get enough leech tension to remove excessive twist. The black boat does a little better due to the unusual batten and sheeting arrangement. 

1. I love small boats and adventure boats. This looks cool and according to the small boat monthly page, they are quick (9 knots). 

2. Also not sure how well the battens at the head of the main and mizzen work with the sprit-boom rig and snotter. Normally, tensioning the snotter strains the leech, which bends the mast, and flattens the sail (or so Phil Bolger wrote). The load from tack to head runs directly along the leech. In this boat the load, from the end of the boom to the head of the sail is not straight (or, if it is, it leaves the extra sail cloth flapping on top). Hey, if it works it works. Looks like a fun boat. 

• Like 1

@Ajax To me it screamed brazilian north coast, and amazon river. I really dig the visual. My main objection is that I would never trust a boat built by myself.

@TwoLegged I thought of the Seascape 18.  But I don't think it is rowable.

@DDW I'm a sucker for ketches. Agree on the color, although it looks much better than Hugo Boss.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

See here.  He’s done some really, really nice work.  (Original link to his build here.)

That link shows a plank across the cockpit with a hole that is the mast partner for the mizzen.  In the video, at 0:58, that plank is absent.  What is holding up the mizzen?  The perhaps 20cm bury you can get under the cockpit sole?

• 9 months later...