Sign in to follow this  
Rain Man

Demise of Red Foulies

Spent the last few days trying to find coastal/inshore red bib pants for SWMBO.  She has ancient Henri-Lloyd gear due for replacement. I have relatively new red gear I am happy with, and it would be nice if we match.  She tried on my gear but it doesn't really fit her properly - so we need some gear designed for women.

I found a half-price deal on an in-stock red Gill jacket (probably old stock) that I think will fit her, but can't find any womens red bib pants to go with it (short of Musto - $$$$).  What has happened to red foul weather gear?  Gone the way of the dodo?  Are we faced with a future of women wearing dull gray foulies?

Or perhaps my research skills are lacking - anyone know of any red women's gear out there?

The whole thing is complicated by the fact that stores no longer stock foul weather gear - they want you to order it - so there is no opportunity to check the fit.  If it doesn't fit, they have to send it back and there may be restocking fees.  If I order it on-line directly, I will be paying the shipping to send it back.  Ok, I'm whining.  But it sounds like buying foul weather gear is going to be difficult from now on.

most shops here at least stock the basics, and Gill still seems to have red in the catalog, where are you located that shops dont keep pants and jackets?

Gill had red, I've got some old KB1 salopettes in red, but they only have black bibs now.  I couldn't find anything in red besides Musto.  Need to match the boat.

Red.jpg

1 hour ago, Rain Man said:

Spent the last few days trying to find coastal/inshore red bib pants for SWMBO.  She has ancient Henri-Lloyd gear due for replacement. I have relatively new red gear I am happy with, and it would be nice if we match.  She tried on my gear but it doesn't really fit her properly - so we need some gear designed for women.

I found a half-price deal on an in-stock red Gill jacket (probably old stock) that I think will fit her, but can't find any womens red bib pants to go with it (short of Musto - $$$$).  What has happened to red foul weather gear?  Gone the way of the dodo?  Are we faced with a future of women wearing dull gray foulies?

Or perhaps my research skills are lacking - anyone know of any red women's gear out there?

The whole thing is complicated by the fact that stores no longer stock foul weather gear - they want you to order it - so there is no opportunity to check the fit.  If it doesn't fit, they have to send it back and there may be restocking fees.  If I order it on-line directly, I will be paying the shipping to send it back.  Ok, I'm whining.  But it sounds like buying foul weather gear is going to be difficult from now on.

Australian Brand (price in AUD, so a lot less in USD)

They do mail order, but test sizing is still an issue and 'S' is the smallest.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/burke-pacific-coastal-cb10-breathable-trousers-red

Another Aussie brand (but getting down on the inshore/coastal spectrum)

https://www.whitworths.com.au/marlin-regatta-trousers-red

Going up a step into proper offshore

https://www.whitworths.com.au/burke-southerly-offshore-pb20-breathable-trousers-red

If I am forced to buy Musto, are the concerns about quality still there?  My impression is that Musto has outsourced their production to somewhere far away and quality control has gone out the window.  The top comment on their website is from someone who bought a bib and the stitching was so incorrect they couldn't be worn.  I am sure the company took care of that, they always had a good reputation for service, but still.

21 hours ago, xyzzy said:

Gill had red, I've got some old KB1 salopettes in red, but they only have black bibs now.  I couldn't find anything in red besides Musto.  Need to match the boat.

Red.jpg

Yes, I guess this is "the look" now.  From the tier 2 manufacturers (HH, Gill, Gul), who makes the best women's bibs?  Although, I am not sure Musto can really be considered tier 1 anymore.

I have no issues with black bibs/salopettes. Let’s be honest, the only advantage to bright colored legs is convenient body recovery. Black doesn’t clash with the assortment of bright colored jackets and spray tops, so it’s easy to mix and match. 

I have a totally different opinion on the assclowns who buy black tops. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Monkey said:

I have no issues with black bibs/salopettes. Let’s be honest, the only advantage to bright colored legs is convenient body recovery. Black doesn’t clash with the assortment of bright colored jackets and spray tops, so it’s easy to mix and match. 

I have a totally different opinion on the assclowns who buy black tops. 

Problem is, most manufacturers are leaning towards grey and/or black in their tops and bottoms colours...  It's a sad reality, I miss my old yellow OS2 foulies...

Cheers!

53 minutes ago, CriticalPath said:

Problem is, most manufacturers are leaning towards grey and/or black in their tops and bottoms colours...  It's a sad reality, I miss my old yellow OS2 foulies...

Cheers!

I’m with you. All my gear is red. 

49 minutes ago, Monkey said:

I’m with you. All my gear is red. 

All my gear life-cycled out in the past three years - new offshore jacket + smock, and new dinghy shell and salopettes.  I never thought I'd let myself go there, but all are either grey or black now...  Lotsa reflective, but the base colour sucks...

Cheers!

13 minutes ago, CriticalPath said:

All my gear life-cycled out in the past three years - new offshore jacket + smock, and new dinghy shell and salopettes.  I never thought I'd let myself go there, but all are either grey or black now...  Lotsa reflective, but the base colour sucks...

Cheers!

It’s hilarious to the point of stupid. One particular boat I race on is owned by four of the most safety conscious people you’ll ever meet. We could probably get that J/92 to pass inspection for the Volvo Ocean Race. However, when I join them, I’m the only one without black foul weather gear. Somebody needs to stop that stupid trend. 

• Like 1

Zhik does red jackets, smocks, and salopettes. Or pink if you want to dress as Hugo Boss. 

I miss my whiteLine 7's (ouch that dates me) but my re Henri's were the bomb.

About 6 years ago I had my seabag full of offshore kit stolen. It was almost $7,000US to replace. Stoopid crazy when you get down to the bits and pieces.

Merry Christmas to all!

All of the manufacturer seem to have good and bad spells. It does help to look at the details and fit before buying. I have a complete mishmash of gear colors/ brands and couldn't care less. Just wanna stay warm and dry when I'm wearing it. This is racing not New York fashion week.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, notallthere said:

All of the manufacturer seem to have good and bad spells. It does help to look at the details and fit before buying. I have a complete mishmash of gear colors/ brands and couldn't care less. Just wanna stay warm and dry when I'm wearing it. This is racing not New York fashion week.

I agree, but I am buying for my wife, so....it better be warm, it better keep her dry, it better be breathable and it better look good.  

• Like 1

On 12/24/2020 at 1:19 PM, Rain Man said:

If I am forced to buy Musto, are the concerns about quality still there?  My impression is that Musto has outsourced their production to somewhere far away and quality control has gone out the window.  The top comment on their website is from someone who bought a bib and the stitching was so incorrect they couldn't be worn.  I am sure the company took care of that, they always had a good reputation for service, but still.

I have a Musto HPX jacket that I bought 2 years ago. No issues in terms of quality. Happy with it.  

So I was about to comment about SLAM. I have their complete line of red foulies in everything from a spray top to offshore pants. I went to go check their website ad F me you are right. I gave up trying to navigate it after 30 seconds trying to get away from their leisure wear section to actual clothing. I guess that was all I needed to know about what direction they are taking to maximize profit. 

I always assumed that a hi-vis colour like red or yellow was the "safest" colour for gear on a boat, but when I was sailing from Port Fairy in Bass Strait the local fishos told me that black was the most visible daylight colour at sea.  Maybe they were taking the piss, but all their cray lines were marked with black flags on their buoys.   

Go figure.

Red is great in daylight but looks black at night. That said with a torch the things you're going to see are the reflective details. Those details don't need to be large and are remarkably effective.

My yellow OS2 went in the bin recently. Sad day.

• Like 1