Just now, Kate short for Bob said:

I asked similar questions on this forum months ago.  I would have thought that the parameters for course selection could have been more clearly defined.  However it is apparent that spectator access and success as an "Event" is the main determinate of course selection.  Fair enough to a point.  The wind is such that today it won't be an issue.

Good. But it could decisive in another manner, will they chose a race favoring the higher wind range or the medium ?

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having a race like that is why the committee was correct in postponing the race so many times. I think that the race was worth the wait.  Cheers to the Race Committee!

Semi Final Race 1 book is open - hit like for an AM win, dislike for LRPP.  Don’t sit on the fence now!

Please just stick to the facts and not your opinion.  You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how this all works.  The flu is down because of all the hand washing, social distancing, mask wearing,

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

My recollection from a Presser when he was asked about the wind lower limits during the ACWS is that IM said he could play only the hand he was dealt and that he’d been ordered to favor courses B and C. 

Link? Preferably with time stamp, please?

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Interesting, thanks SR, new questions, now, if somebody can answer,

who ordered ? why was he ordered B and C ? up to what extend can he be ordered ?

Ordered by GD/ACE/whoever, I suppose? That’s who is paying him. The reason is to accommodate land-based spectators and ‘TV views of the Auckland skyline in the background’ - I suppose for the money Auckland has invested. No idea what all else he is being ordered to do but agree with some other posters that the paddock might have been a far better choice yesterday.. 

I keep coming back to the starts yesterday.

In the first, AM came off the foils on entry in an attempt to get a penalty on LR, then were 'beached' while LR got back up again and sailed around them, forcing them to gybe in displacement mode and stuffing their initial attempt to get back up.

In the second, AM gave up a penalty before they even entered, again dropping off the foils while INEOS stayed up.

If the wind had stayed up for the rest of those races, their opposition would have been over the horizon and AM would have had almost no chance of catching up in either.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

As long as he's not ordered to lower the upper wind limits out of safety reasons that have nothing to do with any actual safety concerns at all...

The US Coast Guard ordered that. 

19 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Good. But it could decisive in another manner, will they chose a race favoring the higher wind range or the medium ?

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.  However if you wanted to minimise variation in wind speed and direction then you would only ever choose courses A and E.  That would take out a fair amount of sailing expertise.  B, C and D are tricky no matter what strength the wind is.  In terms of accessibility for fans B, C and D offer an incredible amount of land based viewing points - probably more than any other AC cycle.  

If you have only seen these beasts on TV then you have got no appreciation of how impressive they are.  I've stood on some of the land based vantage points and watched the early development of ETNZ.  It's mind blowing.  Reminds me of the first F1 that I went to.  Up until then I never really appreciated how damn quick they go.

In my opinion the more people that can see them live the better.  It also serves to inspire thousands of young sailors who sail all round those B, C and D courses during the year and brings an elite sport really close to potential new fans.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.  However if you wanted to minimise variation in wind speed and direction then you would only ever choose courses A and E.  That would take out a fair amount of sailing expertise.  B, C and D are tricky no matter what strength the wind is.  In terms of accessibility for fans B, C and D offer an incredible amount of land based viewing points - probably more than any other AC cycle.  

If you have only seen these beasts on TV then you have got no appreciation of how impressive they are.  I've stood on some of the land based vantage points and watch the early development of ETNZ.  It's mind blowing.  Reminds me of the first F1 that I went to.  Up until then I never really appreciated how damn quick they go.

In my opinion the more people that can see them live the better.  It also serves to inspire thousands of young sailors who sail all round those B, C and D courses during the year and brings an elite sport really close to potential new fans.

Would also help if they didn't cripple viewing rights worldwide. Geo-blocking sucks.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

The US Coast Guard ordered that. 

The US Coast Guard ordered measures to mitigate risks. It did not order a lowering of wind limits.

Edit: Back to the current Cup: Has anyone a link to the statement about the order to favor certain courses?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

I asked similar questions on this forum months ago.  I would have thought that the parameters for course selection could have been more clearly defined.  However it is apparent that spectator access and success as an "Event" is the main determinate of course selection.  Fair enough to a point.  The wind is such that today it won't be an issue.

I would think you are most likely correct Kate. The event has (and is) costing, i would imagine, a ton of public (government) money. The ROI to the economy of Auckland and/or New Zealand has already taken a massive hit due to COVID-19. No Superyachts; No Youth America's Cup; virtually no VIP big spending VVIPs. I would say a potential worry for the defenders bean counters would be "What if we successfully defend this thing?". Will financial support from public funds next time round be quite so easy to justify? Will we need to find another city to host our next defence? I would say that the event has to succeed and global media apart bums on seats (for that  read people on boats lining the course) is the primary way that will be seen to happen especially by Aucklanders whose local government, I would imagine, has spent millions on infrastructure. 

1 hour ago, The_Alchemist said:

These low wind days with these boats are a cluster F.  I know low winds are common in typical sailing, but these boats are not typical sailboats.  We all discussed the major disadvantage of falling off the foils, but most of us were talking about boat handling errors or major design deficiencies.  Yes, I am an AM fan and they really did a poor job of reading the wind, but that is not why I am complaining.  

You're complaining because that's all you've ever done since the inception of the AC75. They're too unsafe, they won't get off the dock, they have major design flaws, they won't match race. Blah blah blah. All inaccurate, incorrect statements.

It is like you went to go see an airplane race, but because of fog they all had to stay on the ground and ran around a track on their wheels.  We talk about how the excitement of foiling boats will bring in new fans, what do you think the casual fans is saying about those races?  The races should have been called off.   It is like running a F1 race with flat tires.  

By all accounts, fans were loving the racing yesterday because it was, for once, exciting, enthralling to see who was going to get up on the foils first and get an advantage, then to see whether INEOS would beat the time limit. It was edge of the seat stuff!

Your problem is you've had a problem with the AC75 since it was conceived. Get over it! These boats are highly likely going to get another go around next time, no doubt with some changes, so get over it!

15 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Exactly. You would think that the only logical choice would be where there is the best/most wind. But I suspect that will not always be the case.  

Surely the most important and unquestionable answer is to choose a course where he can offer both teams the best and fairest racing conditions. This is the AC, the pinnacle of the sport.

He should never chose a course for the benefit of the spectators,  the sponsors,  the city tourism pr, the tv schedules. 

He owes that to all the members of a team from the sponsors/backers, the sailing crew, the shore crew, the designers and builders and the wives and girlfriends. 

Just now, winchfodder said:

Exactly. You would think that the only logical choice would be where there is the best/most wind. But I suspect that will not always be the case.  

Surely the most important and unquestionable answer is to choose a course where he can offer both teams the best and fairest racing conditions. This is the AC, the pinnacle of the sport.

He should never chose a course for the benefit of the spectators,  the sponsors,  the city tourism pr, the tv schedules. 

He owes that to all the members of a team from the sponsors/backers, the sailing crew, the shore crew, the designers and builders and the wives and girlfriends. 

TV schedules are more important than wind conditions since the AC in SF.

2 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Bollocks.  Go tell that to SailGP!  We are not talking the Olympics where one design regatta's are held to find the best sailors.

The AC is a very expensive "pinnacle" to attain and is and always has been a design race.  What's more when you have the Cup you make the rules.  Daily course selection becomes only unfair if it favours one syndicate over another.  The three that raced yesterday all raced in the same conditions.  Just turns out that AM was crap!

• Like 2

Sadly so. Certainly getting off on time rather than wait until the wind fills in to make for a fairer race seems to be the priority 

• Like 1

Isn't that the same for ALL professional sports?  As a New Zealand I'd rather go watch a Rugby Test Match at 3pm in the afternoon rather than 7:35pm at night in the middle of winter.  BUT that schedule is determined by who pays the views - largely the viewing public in the Northern Hemisphere if one of their teams are playing.

I think it is fantastic that ETNZ and ACE have designed an event that is the most accessible to fans and potential fans on land AND through broadcast channels than any other AC event.

2 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Sadly so. Certainly getting off on time rather than wait until the wind fills in to make for a fairer race seems to be the priority 

There are other considerations as well.  For example the course that was laid down yesterday a composite course of C and D effectively closes down the entire Auckland Harbour for 4 or more hours.  The main shipping channel (you can see the permanent channel buoys) goes right through the centre of that course.   I doubt anywhere else in the world would allow that.

So there are other factors that determine what can or cannot be done.

1 minute ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Isn't that the same for ALL professional sports?  As a New Zealand I'd rather go watch a Rugby Test Match at 3pm in the afternoon rather than 7:35pm at night in the middle of winter.  BUT that schedule is determined by who pays the views - largely the viewing public in the Northern Hemisphere if one of their teams are playing.

I think it is fantastic that ETNZ and ACE have designed an event that is the most accessible to fans and potential fans on land AND through broadcast channels than any other AC event.

Yes, it is fantastic, but not perfect.

The races of AC32 were not started when the wind was crap, and it is still rated as one of the best ACs in history by many.
The geo blocking on YT is a poor decision.
And what is accessibility worth when the races are boring, wind and courses unsuitable for the boats, because TV times and spectators dictated the course and start time?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

There are other considerations as well.  For example the course that was laid down yesterday a composite course of C and D effectively closes down the entire Auckland Harbour for 4 or more hours.  The main shipping channel (you can see the permanent channel buoys) goes right through the centre of that course.   I doubt anywhere else in the world would allow that.

So there are other factors that determine what can or cannot be done.

And in the end, whenever, wherever, whatever wind; it is the same for both teams. 

P.s and if the conditions favour one team, and presuming that the race officer has not been paid off by thst team, then that is just the way it is. Tomorrow will be different. 

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

What is the "best" wind? Constant or shifty? In other words easy or challenging! Both boats sail on the same course in the same wind conditions, one has managed those conditions very well - 3 points. Another has handled those conditions not so well - ZERO points. I am guessing from your location that you are a supporter of the team that handled the conditions less well. A sport or event without spectators can very rapidly fade into insignificance and isn't that one of our sport's challenges overall that we are not considered a spectator sport. For the record i think the AC does a very good job of attracting spectators and/or viewers compared to other sailing events.

If you don't look after your customers and in an expensive event like the AC that includes sponsors and for sponsors read city and state government of Auckland and New Zealand respectively they might not want you back - oops!

Do you really think that any major sporting event DOESN'T consider the spectators? The AC is considered in sports marketing terms one of the big 4 alongside Soccer World CUp, Olympics and motor sport's F1 - they all depend on spectators.

All he owes the competing teams is a fair race course. In other words one that complies with the rules of the event such as wind limits, true start line, correct timings etc. As others have said they are all racing on the same water.

And as far as owing anything to the WAGs? Name me one sport that considers it owes anything to the camp followers (I'll stick my neck out on that one)

Just stirring the pot but, for the record, i think the edge of seat racing yesterday was highly entertaining and the team that read the wind better in each race won each race.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

What is the "best" wind? Constant or shifty? In other words easy or challenging! Both boats sail on the same course in the same wind conditions, one has managed those conditions very well - 3 points. Another has handled those conditions not so well - ZERO points. I am guessing from your location that you are a supporter of the team that handled the conditions less well. A sport or event without spectators can very rapidly fade into insignificance and isn't that one of our sport's challenges overall that we are not considered a spectator sport. For the record i think the AC does a very good job of attracting spectators and/or viewers compared to other sailing events.

If you don't look after your customers and in an expensive event like the AC that includes sponsors and for sponsors read city and state government of Auckland and New Zealand respectively they might not want you back - oops!

Do you really think that any major sporting event DOESN'T consider the spectators? The AC is considered in sports marketing terms one of the big 4 alongside Soccer World CUp, Olympics and motor sport's F1 - they all depend on spectators.

All he owes the competing teams is a fair race course. In other words one that complies with the rules of the event such as wind limits, true start line, correct timings etc. As others have said they are all racing on the same water.

And as far as owing anything to the WAGs? Name me one sport that considers it owes anything to the camp followers

Game on! Whatever the wind today it will be another great spectacle. 

6 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

The AC is considered in sports marketing terms one of the big 4 alongside Soccer World CUp, Olympics and motor sport's F1 - they all depend on spectators.

I'd be surprised if the AC is in the top one hundred! It's a niche event.

I think that today is the day that we will be able to make conclusions that aren't plucked from thin air on the performance of all the challengers in relation to each other. I genuinely hope that INEOS can keep a clean sheet or at least keep a nice lead. If they're still winning on day 3 then my bet is they're in the prada cup final. If not... then when we'll have to wait and see by how much they're losing and to whom. 

9 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

What is the "best" wind? Constant or shifty? In other words easy or challenging! Both boats sail on the same course in the same wind conditions, 

Wrong. Both boats sail on the same course in the DIFFERENT wind conditions, 

If this was a local junior opti regatta they would have abandoned these races 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

I agree with almost everything in this post except the part in bold.

The AC is not remotely in the same league as those events from a sports marketing perspective. Those three events generate BILLIONS in TV rights around the world. The AC is broadcast on youtube for free. They are not comparable in those terms.

But nevertheless, "the show" is part of making the event sustainable to host and there are always going to be compromises for it.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

The AC is considered in sports marketing terms one of the big 4 alongside Soccer World CUp, Olympics and motor sport's F1 - they all depend on spectators.

Where??? The IPL, the Premiere League, Champions League, Ashes, Wimbledon, Super Bowl and West Dorset Skittles League all have bigger audiences. 

Just now, Cristoforo said:

You kidding? I've sailed dinghies, inshore yachts, offshore yachts, short handed, ULDBs in these conditions.

In fact the first race I ever won was an oppie in exactly that sort of wind.

Sail the conditions. As someone previously said (sorry that I can't remember who to give credit) there is more luck, but it's surprising how often the same people win. Do they just get lucky more often?

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, marlowe said:

I'd be surprised if the AC is in the top one hundred! It's a niche event.

The Americas Cup is not even mentioned on news outlets or sports channels until its over ( with the exception of NBC).  You cannot find it in any newspapers until its over.

Sports websites dont even mention sailing on 'other sports' pages. American companies will not even sponsor the American entry       

That deal in Afghanistan where they ride horses and use a goats head for a ball is easier to find on youtube  

5 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

Only because in those conditions it would have taken 3 days to finish the races.  The fact is both races yesterday although shortened finished within 45 minutes.  What other class of boat can sail 22 kilometers in that type of wind condition is less than 45 minutes?

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

You kidding? I've sailed dinghies, inshore yachts, offshore yachts, short handed, ULDBs in these conditions.

In fact the first race I ever won was an oppie in exactly that sort of wind.

Sail the conditions. As someone previously said (sorry that I can't remember who to give credit) there is more luck, but it's surprising how often the same people win. Do they just get lucky more often?

Bollocks.   It's a windward/leeward box rule race.  Glad you raced short handed ULDBs  but that dosnt mean dick. Why do ISAF rules allow for abandoning   on the basis of wind shifts or velocity? 

The Prada cup races are too short and over too many laps in my humble opinion. In moderate breezes, the boats are at the boundary very quickly, there isn't much by way of tactics, nobody can get much separation. The dice is very heavily loaded towards the guy who wins the start and its not mega tough to control unless there is a big speed or BH delta, or someone makes a mistake - so the start or one mistake defines the race as the leader just extends, or the better boat pisses past the boat that got a lucky start.

The light airs races we just saw had the effect of making the course vastly bigger for the boats and therefore they had more time perhaps than they would like to for the more subtle nuances of positioning themselves with respect to breeze and opponent. It was not really over until much later in the race, and the difference in modes meant that the weighting on good positioning was massive. I for one really enjoyed it much more than any of the other races which tend to be a bit verse chorus verse i.e. start {(tack tack mark rounding gybe gybe mark rounding) x 4} finish all a bit procedural. Maybe thats because as a sailor thus not the target audience of this sort of crash and burn, I identify a lot more with what the guys were doing. There was time to do more than prepare for the next tack. There was always what I would call a racing breeze for "normal" boats.  Some have said that the sailors were slumped in the boats having fucked it off (xcept grinders) - on the contrary I think the afterguards were all very engaged in it, the boats were doing > windspeed VMG unless trying to bump onto the foils (which in itself was a fascinating tradeoff and evidence of tecnique rather than just pissing around at 30-40kts with some grinders arms moving) and looked pretty good whilst doing it. Proper racing.

3 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Comanche would've got her butt kicked in those conditions.

Its free for us! Can't help it overseas providers want people to pay for it.

Its free to air, and freely available on You Tube.

Thats what Dalton promised.

This is a spectacular event delivering on everything it has promised so far.

I watch it FREE on YouTube or Sailing Illustrated (FB Page)

It for the most part is what I paid for

5 minutes ago, sosoomii said:

Where??? The IPL, the Premiere League, Champions League, Ashes, Wimbledon, Super Bowl and West Dorset Skittles League all have bigger audiences. 

But which one genuinely offers a billionaire the chance to really "own" it. That is the AC mystique after all these years.

Yes, you could buy Hamilton? and Mercedes F1 team, or Team Sky for the Tour de France or Nice in Ligue 1,  or even Kiochoge for the sub two hour marathon, as the chief fracker already has. But I bet you the greatest buzz he will ever get would be winning the Prada Cup, and even more the AC. Just ask all those other billionaires who have tried and list and those that tried and won.

6 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

All in all I have the impression that theses low wind races have more fans or at least acceptors than objectors, but it might be my bias.

I'm a fan.  From my perspective it was like a chess match.  Fascinating to watch unfold.  Hearing what they were saying onboard (more of that and less of the commentators please!) would have been enough to pick the winner.  First - Ben and INEOS, Second - Jimmy, distant third Deano and Hutch.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

The Americas Cup is not even mentioned on news outlets or sports channels until its over ( with the exception of NBC).  You cannot find it in any newspapers until its over.

Sports websites dont even mention sailing on 'other sports' pages. American companies will not even sponsor the American entry       

That deal in Afghanistan where they ride horses and use a goats head for a ball is easier to find on youtube  

And check out the bookies. If you can't bet on it it isn't real.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

All in all I have the impression that theses low wind races have more fans or at least acceptors than objectors, but it might be my bias.

I have much less of a problem with the light air races than I do the boats sailing them.

• Like 1

I wish Kenny Read would just shut the hell up. He has very little of substance to say and he keeps repeating it.  

Just now, jerseyguy said:

I wish Kenny Read would just shut the hell up. He has very little of substance to say and he keeps repeating it.  

How many times yesterday did he call out his fellow non-sailor commentator on the stopwatch on the mark rounding. If I was the chap I would have "done and Ainslie" and decked him.

1 minute ago, winchfodder said:

How many times yesterday did he call out his fellow non-sailor commentator on the stopwatch on the mark rounding. If I was the chap I would have "done and Ainslie" and decked him.

and at one point he should've been told to shut the fuck up they're foiling

9 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

With a true wind speed of 7 knots what will a 75 foot lead mine do 5 knots?

I remember watching IACC yachts race in Auckland harbor with light winds. Boring as hell, dull as dishwater, more fun watch grass growing. People are remembering these lead mines with rose tinted glasses. 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

And check out the bookies. If you can't bet on it it isn't real.

At least there is a book in NZ, though only open for residents. 

From RG.

The bookies have reacted to the British hat-trick by reducing INEOS Team UK to just $1.75 to win the Prada Cup, with Luna Rossa paying $3.00 and former favorite American Magic on $5.00 after being on $1.75 at the start of the week. The Brits were paying $8.00 at the start of the week.

INEOS Team UK's performance has lengthened the odds on the Kiwis retaining the Cup, now out to $1.65 from a previous $1.37. And with INEOS now at just $3.20 having been at $21.00 last week and $13.00 after the Practice racing on Tuesday.

5 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Is any one out of the harbour at the moment. What’s the wind doing at the moment 

Dunno bout that, but looks to be fresh conditions today based on the storm expected at 6pm.

13 minutes ago, zillafreak said:

Predicted wind speed for today?

15 knots gusting 22 knots.  NW.  The course will be laid perpendicular to Rangitoto i.e. 90 degrees from the the drifter course during the Christmas Cup running parallel to Murray's Bay.

Currently around 14 knots. NW.

The tide will be outgoing across the course with Low tide being in about 3 hours from now. So the will race in the last two hours of the outgoing tide.  There will be a bit of chop but doesn't worry these boats when foiling (unlike an Opti or a lead keeler!).

LOL I don't know if it is a sign or not.  But the fishing was great yesterday and is shit today!  Normally with such a switch it means there is a weather change coming.  Looking at it 15-17 knots through to Friday this week gusting to 23 knots around race times.  Starting out NW and turning more West during the week.

2 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

The US Coast Guard ordered measures to mitigate risks. It did not order a lowering of wind limits.

Edit: Back to the current Cup: Has anyone a link to the statement about the order to favor certain courses?

It doesn't exist - only in spinray's conspiracy-riddled parallel universe.

9 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Breeze just whipped up here, looks like it will be exciting!

In these conditions and this tide wind direction it can be lumpy out there.  You get standing waves.

LOL they will be sailing right over my favourite (secret) fishing spot which I found only about 5 years ago.  Guaranteed to get the limit every time no matter what the weather.  You can get these swells rolling in that hit the tide and wind and it creates lots of lumps.  Have driven the fizz boat home through it with a diving mask on!  

2 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

In these conditions and this tide wind direction it can be lumpy out there.  You get standing waves.

LR could flip over in those conditions..

Good evening America, fancy a win in the stronger breeze ?

I’ll be watching Ineos in the first race today, gob smacked at the comeback. 

1 minute ago, Loose Cannon said:

So, is this zillion dollar cluster&#$* exciting yet?   So far I have seen practice capsizes and a lot of sticking to the water.

You might get to see some actual racing this afternoon, LC. That would be pretty exciting, no?

1 minute ago, Cristoforo said:

Im predicting Ineos goes down today like ShortforBob/Meli on prom night    

Any particular reason or just wishful thinking ?

I'm picking the conditions will suit INEOS more than the others.

What about AM v Luna Rossa 

1 hour ago, winchfodder said:

190,000 views on YT after 16 hours. Pretty hopeless. Only 4,500 watching live.

No surprise there.  Geo-blocking even on YT really helps attract a worldwide audience!

Seems like AC management got their bucks from networks, so don't give a damn about anyone that won't or can't pay to watch!

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Sounds like conditions that'll suit AM and Ineos.

Given just how much the form book has been put through the shredder in the last couple of days, I wouldn't bet the farm on it though.

• Like 2

I don't think AM has really lost a race yet because of boat speed. Bad tactics, bad sailing, and bad setups have let them down. If they go down today in the wind because they aren't quick enough then they are in trouble. Not too often does the faster boat lose a series... Rally time!

• Like 2

First GB looked like they were dead, in the ACWS.  Now AM look terrible.  Must be LR's turn to go through the wringer.

I'm playing it safe, and betting on NZ not winning the Prada Cup.

• Like 5
21 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

Its quite gusty here. What is max wind limit?

The applicable range shall be as follows:
a) during the Prada Cup Round Robin Stage and Semi-Final Stage - between 6.5 and 21
knots;
b) during the Prada Cup Final Stage - between 6.5 and 23 knots

2 minutes ago, craigj said:

Is it worth $174.99 to NBC to watch this???

Only you can answer that. There are, however, cheaper ways to watch it in the US.

3 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Definitely not. AM need to get their shit together today.

Yep.

I honestly don't think boat speed can be used to explain any of the race results thus far.

INEOS are top cos their tactics have been the best by some margin.

AM are bottom cos their tactics have been woeful. Really really really woeful.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, craigj said:

Is it worth $174.99 to NBC to watch this???

No! Don't go to the dark side! This was supposed to be free. Giving them money only encourages the greed. Find a VPN and watch on line for free.

Edit: plus if a race is delayed, it may no longer fit into NBC's time slot, so you will be scrambling for an alternative. Best to plan ahead a evaluate alternatives now.

1 minute ago, Varan said:

No! Don't go to the dark side! This was supposed to be free. Giving them money only encourages the greed. Find a VPN and watch on line for free.

I'd like to know how much Nord VPN made on this thing. 

7 hours ago, winchfodder said:

The wind limit of 6.5kts was agreed with all the syndicates seems just about right.

Very edgy, requiring a real test of sailing and design. Yes, it does make a potential lottery as DB and TH claimed, but we have all been there,  racing when it suddenly goes light. It makes for some really tense moments requiring great patience and concentration. At various times each side of the course seems to get a little puff and then it just as quickly dissolves. For those in the lead it is an agonising wait as you fear and see your hard earned lead disappear in a blink (just like the safety car in F1). For those dumped at the back it is your great chance of glory. Yes, sometimes it does work out for the rearguard,  but over time somehow there are always the same names at the front. 

Fortunately over the period of the Cup between now and March we are unlikely to see too many days like today and the proper order of the world will be established. 

However a few days like today will be a reminder to all, sailors and observers, just how complex and difficult and frustrating and nail biting and exciting (yes!) boat racing can be.  

Even though Shirley might have been giggling a bit as each team tried to get back onto the foils. It was almost nervousness as she has been plenty of times in the same situation on her way to gold.

Yes, a minimum of even 7kts would probably eliminate a day like today plus of course setting a time limit less than 45 minutes. 

As it is I am happy to spend the extra 20 minutes experiencing the agony on the water, tensely waiting for the magical 16kts on the speedo and feeling all the tension and elation of the crews.

And remember that they are not playing in a weekday evening club race when they can come back next week.  This is their lives, their careers and all there hopes and all the glory and high stakes of the very pinnacle of yacht racing. 

The spectacle of the most extreme, technically advanced and difficult to sail yachts in the world wallowing in the water with their arms outstretched and the crews wandering around in bemusement and frustration is not a pretty sight. But, then suddenly like a swan flapping its wings on the water struggling to gain flight, they are back on the foils in excess of 30 knots. Absolutely magnificent and mesmerising to watch.

The, hopefully, few light wind days can only add to the whole spectacle that makes the AC one of the most "absorbing" sporting contests in the world. 

It had my attention and I guess most of us on SA and beyond. And we won't know how TNZ will handle it, though I am sure they will be concentrating on lighter winds as is forecast in March, or so they say.

P.S  posted on another thread!

Well said!  

It is good to see rational voices emerging in the displacement vs foiling controversy

As previously noted, all teams have had the opportunity to design to the published wind limits and race durations.  What's more, they agreed to them. It's part of the sailing game FFS.  Over the coming weeks, all teams will have opportunities to refine their designs and gear setups.. Plus, teams can optimise their skills at getting foil borne and staying on their foils.oG th 

And finally, there is no provision in the DoG for ensuring a spectacle. And none in this Protocol.

• Like 1

It's could be a bit gnarly by the time of the second race.  Do they have a thunderstorm rule?  

Clip a 1 cm thick copper cable to a spreader and trail it overboard?