1 minute ago, Robin_sweden said:

Yeah, that's never a good sign. 

Is any of the hull even above water? What use are the pumps if the hull is fully submerged anyway? 

whole hull underwater

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having a race like that is why the committee was correct in postponing the race so many times. I think that the race was worth the wait.  Cheers to the Race Committee!

Semi Final Race 1 book is open - hit like for an AM win, dislike for LRPP.  Don’t sit on the fence now!

Please just stick to the facts and not your opinion.  You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how this all works.  The flu is down because of all the hand washing, social distancing, mask wearing,

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, toad said:

great memes but seriously, this is a disaster for the series. 

but no one hurt right?

No one hurt ...maybe a few careers damaged 

3 minutes ago, arr4ws said:

whole hull underwater

That's just sad :( they need to get the crew of the boat and get some more flotation bags around or in the hull, and a sail or something to block the hole, so maybe she can float high enough for the pumps to do anything useful...

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Well she hasn't gone down any further. They might have stabilised it - hope so.

I figured they'd stick some of the floaties inside her to evacuate some of the water.

Or is there no way to get into the hull?

10 minutes ago, Robin_sweden said:

Yeah, that's never a good sign. 

Is any of the hull even above water? What use are the pumps if the hull is fully submerged anyway? 

Divers are placing flotation bags under the submerged hull pumps will make some progress once they are inflated I hope.

1 minute ago, nroose said:

Put that mainsail under the hull and then pump... That should work!

Not with foil arms in way. 
which is most likely where the damage is. 

4 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

So many people standing on the boat.

Get the salvage professionals there. Its been an hour

They are 20 miles from Auckland. Even if a salvage tug was flashed up at the very moment of the capsize it would take approaching 2 hours to get to the site

1 minute ago, Redreuben said:

Not with foil arms in way. 
which is most likely where the damage is. 

Fact checking my joke...

Seems like the feed should have stayed on this. Probably would have gotten more views than the regular racing. And they are right there with a great view and good camera.

2 minutes ago, nroose said:

Seems like the feed should have stayed on this. Probably would have gotten more views than the regular racing. And they are right there with a great view and good camera.

I don’t think the onboard cameras will be working anymore. :P

Just now, Rainier said:

Sure looks like the foil arm rips backwards on re-entry.

I initially thought it looked like the whole port fool arm was ripped off, but luckily that was not the case, you could see atleast the arm when they righted her. But, the hull may well be cracked around the foil. 

I thought that she was floating a lot lower than ETNZ when she was still on her side, probably started filling up very quickly. 

13 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Well she hasn't gone down any further. They might have stabilised it - hope so.

I figured they'd stick some of the floaties inside her to evacuate some of the water.

Or is there no way to get into the hull?

I was showing my son the video and we convinced ourselves you can see the foil arm being pushed back as it crashes down. Then I showed him the One Australia sinking and he's trying to isolate the line when the annoucer said, "The boat....is turning into a banana". It's for the memes, you see.  Props to Live Sail Die for staying on the live feed. 

AM Crash.jpg

5 minutes ago, Rainier said:

Actually it looks like the hull fails and the foil arm rips back before they even lift off.

Looking at the video, I think you're right. Just before they go to the moon there's a BIG flurry of water off the port foil. I bet the housing gave out and it ripped backwards, giving it way too much lift at a really bad moment.....

19 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

So many people standing on the boat.

Get the salvage professionals there. Its been an hour

It would take an hour or more to get there even if a salvage boat was ready and available.

It won't be easy getting it back.  But at least they will have tide with them if they move soon.

Just now, jaysper said:

I hope Etnz et al offer shore crew to fix her up.

I hope that all the syndicates offer help. If each syndicate offered 4 or 5 technicians the rebuild could be 24 hours a day 

Quite a flotsam haul out on the water today boyzz...

I scored myself some bananas, an ineos chilli bin, and an AM foil-arm assembly!

Drinks on me at swashies!