10 hours ago, Xlot said:

Good, but what is it about the accent of the guys? Very difficult to understand for a non-native

Must be too much fur on the mikes.

• Like 1
  • Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having a race like that is why the committee was correct in postponing the race so many times. I think that the race was worth the wait.  Cheers to the Race Committee!

Semi Final Race 1 book is open - hit like for an AM win, dislike for LRPP.  Don’t sit on the fence now!

Funny when I click on the cup site I get this:

Posted Images

4 hours ago, crashtack said:

So is there any coverage of the practice races before LV cup or no? Why was there a TV chopper out today?

They do full rehearsals of the broadcast as well - even running commentary.

Unfortunately we only get to see any of the footage if one of the boats falls over ..!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Anyone got a summary? I can’t bear to watch. 

Used to detach the stay after sail half up, then raise sail. Can't after interpretation 62? Might change things for them ^_^

• Like 1

So, a reasonable day for, ETNZ.

Maybe time to recommission Te Kāhu and work up those starts with Te Rehutai. 

5 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

^^^ Guess you've got to take their word for what they're saying, because none of the pictures tell you much - just a bunch of boats sailing around.

Correct, which is just another reason why I am not particularly interested in this "racing".

6 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

So, a reasonable day for, ETNZ.

Maybe time to recommission Te Kāhu and work up those starts with Te Rehutai. 

Well they don't have the crew so maybe you can volunteer to helm it? ;)

1 minute ago, jaysper said:

Well they don't have the crew so maybe you can volunteer to helm it? ;)

Only need 3, don't they - and a big battery bank? Gotta be better than a chase boat.

4 minutes ago, crashtack said:

Is that allowed?

Yes. While the Challenger series is on, as I understand it.

6 minutes ago, crashtack said:

Is that allowed?

1) Te Kahu is outside of the restrictions.

2) Once the Prada Cup racing starts, ETNZ may conduct 2 boat (AC75) training, so they may even bring back Te Aihe if they like.

13 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

recommission Te Kāhu and work up those starts with Te Rehutai. 

I was thinking the same. They've got enough guys to sail her. Being small and zippy, she'd probably make a good starting foe.

1 minute ago, Priscilla said:

Lest we forget RIP Te Kahu

3548D817-BCD0-4D8C-84EB-1973DAD00AA6.thumb.jpeg.8ac27fe3f6f9d28b566a92a252a529e1.jpeg

Don't tell me they fucked that one too, Prissy.

1 minute ago, fish7yu said:

they may even bring back Te Aihe if they like.

They've already said they're not going to do that. I think they've ripped all the electronic/hydraulic gizmos out of it.

Just now, Horn Rock said:

They've already said they're not going to do that. I think they've ripped all the electronic/hydraulic gizmos out of it.

Yeah but what they say could just be subterfuge, and careful words... they also said they weren't building a mule first like the other teams. What they knew and meant was that thget would be building a mule after the first boat.

I wouldn't have be too surprised to discover Te Aihe has been off somewhere (or even in one side of the shed) slowly getting re-assembled with spare FCS's and battery pack giving ETNZ another boat for a very small crew to sail. They might even be able to have flight control automated and get it down to a crew of 2.

Having said that, their sim probably gives them plenty of starts to practice.

25 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

^^^ Guess you've got to take their word for what they're saying, because none of the pictures tell you much - just a bunch of boats sailing around.

Crikey the LSD commentary was amateur as Brad “ I think the Kiwis won both races” wtf no deltas no confirmation fuck all you gotta do is sit on the start finish line scoffing a beer and pie duh Tony Street would of offered up a more concise commentary:P

• Downvote 1
Just now, Horn Rock said:

Yes, Te Aihe won't return.  Te Kahu may make more sense as the starting practice option for TR, but the challenge will be to bring on 3 sailors who are competent in driving and racing these boats, since there are nothing like theses boats previously, unless ETNZ already trained additional sailors throughout the development process, I don't think they can enable Te Kahu just like that.

5 minutes ago, fish7yu said:

Yes, Te Aihe won't return.  Te Kahu may make more sense as the starting practice option for TR, but the challenge will be to bring on 3 sailors who are competent in driving and racing these boats, since there are nothing like theses boats previously, unless ETNZ already trained additional sailors throughout the development process, I don't think they can enable Te Kahu just like that.

Gashby could helm, Te Kahu. Ray could climb back aboard too. I'm sure they could find another sailor capable enough. 

7 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Gashby could helm, Te Kahu. Ray could climb back aboard too. I'm sure they could find another sailor capable enough. 

Yep, possible, but I would think you don't want to breakup the PB+BT+GA trio, since you want them to train as one unit to properly prepare for the real racing.

ETNZ has 5 members actively sailing TR, Maloney and Junior actually does some trimming while the PB+BT+GA trio change side during a manuever.

7 minutes ago, fish7yu said:

Pitting a midget against Te Rehutai for starting practice crikey the electric puha is wafting thickly through the air tonite.

She was the stepping stone from Te Aihe to Te Rehutai  job done.

383334CA-DF7A-4E64-A70A-9CA178999524.jpeg.e0a9c87514a1c4fba8050778de7f618f.jpegBE1CB3FA-A262-46A7-960B-CFA6F62521A2.jpeg.6b6a24f14f54e7c197fdeeb714040abf.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Don't tell me they fucked that one too, Prissy.

16 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Crikey the LSD commentary was amateur as Brad “ I think the Kiwis won both races” wtf no deltas no confirmation fuck all you gotta do is sit on the start finish line scoffing a beer and pie duh Tony Street would of offered up a more concise commentary:P

What you got? No RMS data, sitting in a rib..no committee boat clock yesterday not sure about today. 

What's your take on the racing today from your keyboard?

https://site-isaf.soticcloud.net/biog.php?memberid=304391&js=1

On 1/11/2021 at 7:21 AM, winchfodder said:

Talk of the frackers tuning up TNZ once they are eliminated in exchange for the COR deal equally rude. I can see the commodore of the NYYC calling up the commodore of the RYS and telling him it is not cricket.

In that case it will be an issue of intent vs compliance.   Like AM's Batwing, defies the intent, but is compliant under the current Rules.

I guess honour and sport shouldn't appear together in the same sentence. :angry:    But that's cricket.   Reminds me of Donald Bradman, when the Poms decided that since they couldn't bowl him out, they'd try to knock him out.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, NZL3481 said:

Somebody took the bait...

Yeah, so the Kiwis tested that shape, but then ended up with something entirely different. I guess they missed that part.

30 minutes ago, NZL3481 said:

Somebody took the bait...

When was TK shown with such foils for the first time?

I suspect by the time it came out Ineos would had completed simulations and maybe even intro production of such foils.

Will be very interesting to see what sort of foils ETNZ come out with for the Cup...

10 minutes ago, MastaVonBlasta said:

TK was sailing around last winter in NZ - more than 6 months ago. I doubt the Brits were locked into their final foil designs back then. Maybe, who knows?

Given the trials with this foil on one side and W-foil on the other, I'm not sure they will have locked in until Thursday.

Given how well the W foil worked in the stronger winds yesterday, and that it is designed as the lighter wind foil, I still think we may see that at the weekend

35 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Given how well the W foil worked in the stronger winds yesterday, and that it is designed as the lighter wind foil, I still think we may see that at the weekend

They weren't running the W foil today. Seems they can change them out pretty fast, although tomorrow is measuring day. Be curious to see what they run with what look like reasonably breezy conditions for the start of the Prada.

22 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Is there anywhere you can playback just teh tracks from the Christmas Regatta?

What do you mean just the tracks? All the races from ACWS are still up on youtube.

3 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

They weren't running the W foil today. Seems they can change them out pretty fast, although tomorrow is measuring day. Be curious to see what they run with what look like reasonably breezy conditions for the start of the Prada.

Yeah, I posted that before I saw the forecast, but still not sure. Were they running the simpler foils because they were proved to work yesterday? Or not running the W-foils because they have proved those?

I still think W foils will appear at some point, just not sure when

10 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Could someone please clarify whether the equipment declaration tomorrow is for the entire Prada cup duration or just the first day?

Surely they're not asking to pick gear for races that are 4 weeks away ?!

3 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Were they running the simpler foils because they were proved to work yesterday?

They've modded these foils since the ACWS - seems they're happier with them. These foils look fine when the breeze is up - so most likely they're going to measure with these. New rig, tweaked foils, looks to have produced better manoeuvering, maybe better pointing ability as well? Here's hoping they're competitive in the Prada.

1 minute ago, Horn Rock said:

They've modded these foils since the ACWS - seems they're happier with them. These foils look fine when the breeze is up - so most likely they're going to measure with these. New rig, tweaked foils, looks to have produced better manoeuvering, maybe better pointing ability as well? Here's hoping they're competitive in the Prada.

Agreed, but the w-foils didn't look bad yesterday either, and are likely to be better in the lighter airs (they are designed for that after all). So given that conditions could change?

Or are they saving the W-foils for the finals or AC match? Who knows

Masta- they have to choose foils for the first 2 rounds of Prada this week. So still too far to be able tp predict the wind accurately

31 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

What do you mean just the tracks? All the races from ACWS are still up on youtube.

Basically the GPS track of the race so you can see the route the boats took around the course?

1 minute ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Basically the GPS track of the race so you can see the route the boats took around the course?

The virtual eye? I think that's still up on youtube.

2 hours ago, MastaVonBlasta said:

Could someone please clarify whether the equipment declaration tomorrow is for the entire Prada cup duration or just the first day?

Surely they're not asking to pick gear for races that are 4 weeks away ?!

"7. YACHT CONFIGURATION
7.1 Competitors are required to declare confidentially to the Measurement Committee the yacht configuration to be sailed as follows:
Declaration 1 Prada Cup Round Robin Stage
Due by 15:00 on Wednesday 13 January for racing period from 15th to 19th .
Declaration 2 Prada Cup Round Robin Stage
Due by 15:00 on Wednesday 20 January for racing period from 22nd to 26th .
Declaration 3 Prada Cup Semi-Final Stage
Due by 15:00 on Wednesday 27 January for racing in the Semi Final Stage.
Declaration 4 Prada Cup Final Stage
Due by 16:00 on Monday 8 February for racing in the Final Stage."

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

Somebody should invent a way of overlaying grid lines and boat markers on the pictures, so you can see who is ahead .... hey, I think I will copyright that idea!! :o

• Like 2

So in between, during the RR stages, teams can only do overnight changes. They have 2 days in between the RR and the Semi Final stage and 11 days between the Semi's and final. 

9 hours ago, MastaVonBlasta said:

I suspect by the time it came out Ineos would had completed simulations and maybe even intro production of such foils.

Will be very interesting to see what sort of foils ETNZ come out with for the Cup...

8-9 months ago. Takes 12ish weeks to build a foil set.

4 hours ago, Lickindip said:

that dummy at 14min on the dot ... dean fell for it hook line and sinker

That was a nice move. AM also having a glitch rounding the mark at 15:35

3 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Not looking great for the frackers unless the seabreeze kicks in like Tuesday. 

Maybe. The evidence was that with the w-foil they were now sailing well on their own in the light stuff. But they have never strapped on W-foils during a race with light airs. So we don't know if it is well enough, just better than they were.

But it raises another question, is all this talk of light winds  for the AC proper just hogwash if a seabreeze often (%?) kicks in? 

After all it will be late summer and with little other breeze surely it should?

29 minutes ago, kiwin said:

In late summer the temperature difference between land & sea is less, so the sea breeze tends to be lighter

I understand how the sea breeze works, but I've been told how wonderful NZ weather is, and google suggests sea temp is the same as Jan, and air temp is only a degree less. So I'm surprised sea breezes drop off so much from what we are seeing at the moment

In truth it's very variable, and the Auckland harbour/Hauraki Gulf thermal breeze is something you could do several PhD's in. But it is on average a little lighter. On any given day.....anything could happen. You could get a cold front or an extra-tropical cyclone at that time of year.

With regards to Justin's vid, he was at a pretty oblique angle to the course, so it was hard to gauge what was going on at times. The Brits looked to be able to keep it close - which is a good sign for them. TR manages to keep it close when they're behind, and sail away when they're in front - not a bad place to be.

1 hour ago, Horn Rock said:

With regards to Justin's vid, he was at a pretty oblique angle to the course, so it was hard to gauge what was going on at times. The Brits looked to be able to keep it close - which is a good sign for them. TR manages to keep it close when they're behind, and sail away when they're in front - not a bad place to be.

There looks like A LOT of stopping and waiting and mucking about during racing.  RG described this in his summary.

I don't think anyone can read a lot into any of this footage, baring observations like the one about the fake tack above.

4 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

I understand how the sea breeze works, but I've been told how wonderful NZ weather is, and google suggests sea temp is the same as Jan, and air temp is only a degree less. So I'm surprised sea breezes drop off so much from what we are seeing at the moment

Wonderful weather? In northland, hawkes bay and Bay of plenty sure.

Auckland weather is fairly crap and where I live is literally the windiest city in the world.

9 hours ago, bortolo said:

That was a nice move. AM also having a glitch rounding the mark at 15:35

looks like it could have been a port/stb at 15:10. etnz could have pushed them well past layline to within the boundary then etnz would have had to allow AM to tack but then had the inside line to the mark ... pete is sandbagging the starts (I hope) but isn't being shy when it comes to passing AM at the top mark

2 hours ago, jaysper said:

Wonderful weather? In northland, hawkes bay and Bay of plenty sure.

Auckland weather is fairly crap and where I live is literally the windiest city in the world.

An America’s Cup in Wellington would be wild :rolleyes:

Here we go.  Get Bruno out of there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  This press conference is painful to watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its 2020 - get a female in there that speaks English FFS.

Bruno brings NO excitement.  This is torture.

2 hours ago, uflux said:

A quick course around Somes island would be frickin awesome, except the boats would need to be battleships lest we lose three quarters of the days due to high wind.

Pretty low key build up, it has to be said. Hope there's a bit more hype, with a dockout tomorrow. 

5 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Crikey what a positively cheerful looking crew...

More funeral than fiesta.

Screen_Shot_2021-01-14_at_12_36.46_PM.thumb.png.f763e5eee75df85ae8dc9cb8e44b1c61.png

They are probably fucked from 16 hour days.

Speaking from experience, I can tell you that it can leave you looking a little frazzled.

Some interesting things from the latest Ineos video... at multiple times they seem to show footage from the practice days (0:10, 1:12, 1:36?, maybe some more), and what look like some new, cleaner starting graphics.

Also, how do boundary penalties work? If the race leader breaks the boundary, does he simply need to reduce his lead by 50m, or does he have to allow the other boat to get 50m ahead? If the former, could it not then be beneficial in some cases to break boundary by a lot if on the unfavored jibe downwind?

Following off of this, how is "50m" even measured? Off of ladder rungs? Distance to mark? If ladder rungs, are they fixed or orthogonal to the current wind direction?

11 hours ago, Enzedel92 said:

Here we go.  Get Bruno out of there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  This press conference is painful to watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its 2020 - get a female in there that speaks English FFS.

Bruno brings NO excitement.  This is torture.

That explains a lot - it’s 2021 where I live :ph34r:

A lot of the fun used to be from real characters having a good crack at each other, these days  guess it'd upset the snowflakes.  Bring back the Blackhallers, Dickson, Cudmore, Dennis and the rest - they had something to say!   This is corporate crap.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, uflux said:

Retrieving the boats from Picton on a daily basis might be cumbersome for the support crews?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, crashtack said:

Some interesting things from the latest Ineos video... at multiple times they seem to show footage from the practice days (0:10, 1:12, 1:36?, maybe some more), and what look like some new, cleaner starting graphics.

Also, how do boundary penalties work? If the race leader breaks the boundary, does he simply need to reduce his lead by 50m, or does he have to allow the other boat to get 50m ahead? If the former, could it not then be beneficial in some cases to break boundary by a lot if on the unfavored jibe downwind?

Following off of this, how is "50m" even measured? Off of ladder rungs? Distance to mark? If ladder rungs, are they fixed or orthogonal to the current wind direction?

"If you get a penalty you have to get 50m behind the other boat." I don't think so! If that were the case, can you imagine the lead boat getting a penalty and having to fall back maybe even a kilometre to get 50m behind their opponent?

So yes, the penalty is to give up 50m.

I'd guess there are a number of circumstances where it would be advantageous to cross the boundary and give up 50m, such as to avoid one more tack/gybe to the mark perhaps.

My gut feeling has always been AM 1st for the Prada Cup and Luna Rossa 2nd based on time on the water.! The Italians look the smoothest as an all rounder but smooth isn't always faster. Sadly for Ben I don't think their powers to be got the time on water right. Big day tomorrow if weather permits so lets 'see who got it right?