Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having a race like that is why the committee was correct in postponing the race so many times. I think that the race was worth the wait.  Cheers to the Race Committee!

Semi Final Race 1 book is open - hit like for an AM win, dislike for LRPP.  Don’t sit on the fence now!

Please just stick to the facts and not your opinion.  You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how this all works.  The flu is down because of all the hand washing, social distancing, mask wearing,

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

If Ineos does beat LR on currently-scheduled Saturday, does anything prevent LR from pursuing their own schedule starting right after that race, including skipping Sunday’s currently-scheduled race? 

I would image if you delve deep into the protocol there will be something about competing being compulsory (assuming you can)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sailor99, Max and others discussing the sequence of the capsize, lets move over to the AM thread and leave this one for the discussion of the current issues with the Prada Cup.

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The damage to AM has left the Prada Cup a shimozzle.  It has also potentially weakened the challengers improvements as 3 different design thoughts are now reduced to 2 until AM gets racing again and presumably as she was before the incident. The pressure on Ineos and Luna Rossa has somewhat been reduced. One can only imagine what would be left if either Ineos or Luna Rossa suffered the same sort of capsize? I know there has been a lot of focus on what caused or who was responsible for the AM capsize but history shows that it can happen at anytime because these boats are so extreme especially when the wind is up. I tend to think the incident was more a case of bad luck unless someone at AM puts their hand up and takes responsibility but nobody at this point is agreeing on the cause so I doubt that will ever happen? Fortunately nobody was seriously injured. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 i thought it was great sportsmanship from ALL teams and the local authorities to aid them after they capsized, well done by everybody and very cool.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest thing the AMWAY Disaster has done is strengthen the Defender's hand.... slashed the race hardening the challenger will get by a not insignificant number. The two remaining as of now would be crazy to cancel the Sunday race.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lickindip said:

supplied 1 design items so doubt they would be allowed to do that.

could they have the lightest foils? i.e on the min weight requirement where the others are at max weight?

If you're referring to the rumoured LR fast-action arms, I simply pointed out how they could have achieved the fast response. If they can modify the supplied FCS after approval, I imagine they can modify the hydraulic rams under similar approval - with a signed disclaimer under safety concerns, I'd guess!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bigrpowr said:

 i thought it was great sportsmanship from ALL teams and the local authorities to aid them after they capsized, well done by everybody and very cool.

We didn't do anything that the locals and fellow competitors anywhere in the USA, UK, Italy or anywhere else in the world would not have done.

But it's nice to be reminded every now and then about the endearing humanity which comes to the fore in crises..

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Indio said:

If you're referring to the rumoured LR fast-action arms, I simply pointed out how they could have achieved the fast response. If they can modify the supplied FCS after approval, I imagine they can modify the hydraulic rams under similar approval - with a signed disclaimer under safety concerns, I'd guess!!

I'm pretty sure one design refers to all of them being the same

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lickindip said:

I'm pretty sure one design refers to all of them being the same

The 1-design FCS can be modified under approval. The Class Rules are your friend...

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Indio said:

We didn't do anything that the locals and fellow competitors anywhere in the USA, UK, Italy or anywhere else in the world would not have done.

But it's nice to be reminded every now and then about the endearing humanity which comes to the fore in crises..

Kiwis were offered little help except for the poms in the last cycle I recall 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zeusproject said:

Kiwis were offered little help except for the poms in the last cycle I recall 

I knew someone was going to throw up Bermuda :P, but they were a third-party host. The real ones in charge were OR-Xerox and they had their own reasons for the way they acted in response to ETNZ's flip. They may have offered help - or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, terrafirma said:

The damage to AM has left the Prada Cup a shimozzle.  It has also potentially weakened the challengers improvements as 3 different design thoughts are now reduced to 2 until AM gets racing again and presumably as she was before the incident. The pressure on Ineos and Luna Rossa has somewhat been reduced. One can only imagine what would be left if either Ineos or Luna Rossa suffered the same sort of capsize? I know there has been a lot of focus on what caused or who was responsible for the AM capsize but history shows that it can happen at anytime because these boats are so extreme especially when the wind is up. I tend to think the incident was more a case of bad luck unless someone at AM puts their hand up and takes responsibility but nobody at this point is agreeing on the cause so I doubt that will ever happen? Fortunately nobody was seriously injured. 

True but it does give Ineos in particular the ability to test any remaining upgrades in a race environment with minimal risk to their long term campaign.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Indio said:

I knew someone was going to throw up Bermuda :P, but they were a third-party host. The real ones in charge were OR-Xerox and they had their own reasons for the way they acted in response to ETNZ's flip. They may have offered help - or not.

They were total cunts full stop.   Karma shows up most of the time though .  
Oracles attemp at high jacking the cup was pulled apart by a team they tried everything to hobble . Long live ETNZ  .      Complete non kiwi I may add 

Edited by Zeusproject
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Indio said:

I knew someone was going to throw up Bermuda :P, but they were a third-party host. The real ones in charge were OR-Xerox and they had their own reasons for the way they acted in response to ETNZ's flip. They may have offered help - or not.

From memory there was also Luna Rosa, Artemis, SoftBank Japan, and Groupama France. I can't recall if any aside from BAR offered support, but I seem to remember that ETNZ were kind of on the outer with all teams and regarded as kind of a Lone Wolf, renegade, as they were the only team not supporting Larry's grand scheme to control the Cup, turn it into a Northern Hemisphere based Grand Prix, and roast pesky little bug NZ out of the process once and for all...

All other teams saw they would be on a perpetual professional racing circuit via the new improved Cup and wouldn't have such a long time between meals.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, waterboy42 said:

From memory there was also Luna Rosa, Artemis, SoftBank Japan, and Groupama France. I can't recall if any aside from BAR offered support, but I seem to remember that ETNZ were kind of on the outer with all teams and regarded as kind of a Lone Wolf, renegade, as they were the only team not supporting Larry's grand scheme to control the Cup, turn it into a Northern Hemisphere based Grand Prix, and roast pesky little bug NZ out of the process once and for all...

All other teams saw they would be on a perpetual professional racing circuit via the new improved Cup and wouldn't have such a long time between meals.

Not Luna Rossa

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, waterboy42 said:

From memory there was also Luna Rosa, Artemis, SoftBank Japan, and Groupama France. I can't recall if any aside from BAR offered support, but I seem to remember that ETNZ were kind of on the outer with all teams and regarded as kind of a Lone Wolf, renegade, as they were the only team not supporting Larry's grand scheme to control the Cup, turn it into a Northern Hemisphere based Grand Prix, and roast pesky little bug NZ out of the process once and for all...

All other teams saw they would be on a perpetual professional racing circuit via the new improved Cup and wouldn't have such a long time between meals.

Probably instigated by Wussel...

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, waterboy42 said:

From memory there was also Luna Rosa, Artemis, SoftBank Japan, and Groupama France. I can't recall if any aside from BAR offered support, but I seem to remember that ETNZ were kind of on the outer with all teams and regarded as kind of a Lone Wolf, renegade, as they were the only team not supporting Larry's grand scheme to control the Cup, turn it into a Northern Hemisphere based Grand Prix, and roast pesky little bug NZ out of the process once and for all...

All other teams saw they would be on a perpetual professional racing circuit via the new improved Cup and wouldn't have such a long time between meals.

Actually LR was a pretty big part of the ETNZ campaign (like, Max Sirena was a manager of NZ in Bermuda, just in case you forgot) and they put quite a lot of money  (and skills, and ideas, and designs) into that boat just in order to get rid of the Ellison/Coutts "vision" of the Cup.
Man, how short is the memory...

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, waterboy42 said:

From memory there was also Luna Rosa, Artemis, SoftBank Japan, and Groupama France. I can't recall if any aside from BAR offered support, but I seem to remember that ETNZ were kind of on the outer with all teams and regarded as kind of a Lone Wolf, renegade, as they were the only team not supporting Larry's grand scheme to control the Cup, turn it into a Northern Hemisphere based Grand Prix, and roast pesky little bug NZ out of the process once and for all...

All other teams saw they would be on a perpetual professional racing circuit via the new improved Cup and wouldn't have such a long time between meals.

The Frenchies initially offered some material but after consulting their benefactors (OR-Xerox), they demanded Є300,000 for them. Only Sir Ben stepped up and provided materials and other help - which I believe Dalts repaid by helping them with their "FCS problem".

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sailer99 said:

If I'm Ineos, I want to race Prada only twice and on different days. The potential for different conditions increases the odds that one of the races goes my way.

That makes sense. But it also depends on my development plans. Which unfortunately we don't know.

I'd try and make sure I have time to do all the development I want, whilst minimizing time for the opposition to do theirs

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Thewas said:

Actually LR was a pretty big part of the ETNZ campaign (like, Max Sirena was a manager of NZ in Bermuda, just in case you forgot) and they put quite a lot of money  (and skills, and ideas, and designs) into that boat just in order to get rid of the Ellison/Coutts "vision" of the Cup.
Man, how short is the memory...

I didn’t include Luna Ross’s as one of those oracle puppets . 
they played a massive role for ETNZ 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the frackers beat Prada on Saturday then I can't see them racing again on Sunday. Potential for damage way more important than getting in some more practice or keeping the media,TV, spectators and sponsors happy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

If the frackers beat Prada on Saturday then I can't see them racing again on Sunday. Potential for damage way more important than getting in some more practice or keeping the media,TV, spectators and sponsors happy. 

I agree, they would work on the next stages of development I think. At that point I think LR would want to as well

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

If the frackers beat Prada on Saturday then I can't see them racing again on Sunday. Potential for damage way more important than getting in some more practice or keeping the media,TV, spectators and sponsors happy. 

I'd think the crew would be quite keen to get out there and race. It would be an opportunity to try out different tactics, starting maneuvers etc, in race conditions. 

Not to mention that these guys would simply want to sail/race.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, barfy said:

Not Luna Rossa

That's right they were in it until Larry decided to shorten the boats and had already pissed off Bertelli so much this was the final straw and threw his weight in behind ETNZ...

At least LR lasted longer than Hamilton Island Yacht Club... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, waterboy42 said:

That's right they were in it until Larry decided to shorten the boats and had already pissed off Bertelli so much this was the final straw and threw his weight in behind ETNZ...

At least LR lasted longer than Hamilton Island Yacht Club... 

That was never on as all the crew they thought they may get were steering and running half the other teams boats 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, winchfodder said:

If the frackers beat Prada on Saturday then I can't see them racing again on Sunday. Potential for damage way more important than getting in some more practice or keeping the media,TV, spectators and sponsors happy. 

What are the protocol agreements on any further "hook-ups" between the challengers before the final round Robin weekend, the Prada Cup and the Match.

I would at least hope after the Prada Cup that the other eliminated teams would be allowed to tune up the challenger in advance of the Match. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Indio said:

The 1-design FCS can be modified under approval. The Class Rules are your friend...

yes they are

image.png.03b7acbc8dac8c814099dcfbc006d414.png

image.png.7abd77555598401d3d84d4e210661eeb.png

so i can be modified but agreed 'updates' must be installed by ALL competitors ... i.e the systems are identical between boats

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Zeusproject said:

Kiwis were offered little help except for the poms in the last cycle I recall 

Correct. I still remember Ben's immediate call when he saw it "Make sure our chase boat gets there quickly"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The amount of revisionist history by some chip-on-the-shoulder Kiwis is amazing, it’s as if through repetition they can convince themselves that everything ever done in AC34 and AC35 was designed and done specifically to fuck ETNZ. Lmao! 

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, winchfodder said:

What are the protocol agreements on any further "hook-ups" between the challengers before the final round Robin weekend, the Prada Cup and the Match.

I would at least hope after the Prada Cup that the other eliminated teams would be allowed to tune up the challenger in advance of the Match. 

Well, there is restriction in the Protocol over testing with a surrogate yacht (a defined term), so I'm guessing there would need to be agreement by both the crowned Challenger and Defender to rescind that restriction, in which case ETNZ will tune up with both Ineos and AM if LR is the Challenger (fuck hope not!!) :D

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, waterboy42 said:

From memory there was also Luna Rosa, Artemis, SoftBank Japan, and Groupama France. I can't recall if any aside from BAR offered support, but I seem to remember that ETNZ were kind of on the outer with all teams and regarded as kind of a Lone Wolf, renegade, as they were the only team not supporting Larry's grand scheme to control the Cup, turn it into a Northern Hemisphere based Grand Prix, and roast pesky little bug NZ out of the process once and for all...

All other teams saw they would be on a perpetual professional racing circuit via the new improved Cup and wouldn't have such a long time between meals.

Newstalk ZB mentioned that other syndicates have been helping out to get AM boat back on track - no details on exactly what, Maybe some parts supply

I kinda remember ETNZ did not get help when they had to put their AC50 back to gether after the pitchpole...  

 

Im glad they are being helped though!

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, starlyte said:

I kinda remember ETNZ did not get help when they had to put their AC50 back to gether after the pitchpole...  

BA looked back, saw it, ordered his tender to go and assist if they could but a single ETNZ tender pulled the boat up and they were on the dock within about 20 minutes. They needed no help. Can’t remember if they asked for or received other people’s kit later that night. 
 

That incident was also in big wind. BA handed PB his ass on the line, PB got locked and then pulled a high risk move to duck the mark and then he lost foil control. I think it was the same day DB took SoftBank to a 3-1 lead over Artemis in hairy conditions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

BA looked back, saw it, ordered his tender to go and assist if they could but a single ETNZ tender pulled the boat up and they were on the dock within about 20 minutes. They needed no help. Can’t remember if they asked for or received other people’s kit later that night. 
  

That incident was also in big wind. BA handed PB his ass on the line, PB got locked and then pulled a high risk move to duck the mark and then he lost foil control. I think it was the same day DB took SoftBank to a 3-1 lead over Artemis in hairy conditions. 

I was meaning once back in the shed afterwards.. I do remember Ben ensuring ETNZ got help via chase boats.. Scary morning that was!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, starlyte said:

Scary morning that was!

If it’s the race day I’m thinking of in early June ‘17 then that SBTJ vs Artemis race was about the most epic race in all of AC Bermuda, freaking scary! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

If it’s the race day I’m thinking of in early June ‘17 then that SBTJ vs Artemis race was about the most epic race in all of AC Bermuda, freaking scary! 

yea, carbon fibre flying off boats as they went around the course...........

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Zeusproject said:

Kiwis were offered little help except for the poms in the last cycle I recall 

What happened and what did the poms do?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Indio said:

Well, there is restriction in the Protocol over testing with a surrogate yacht (a defined term), so I'm guessing there would need to be agreement by both the crowned Challenger and Defender to rescind that restriction, in which case ETNZ will tune up with both Ineos and AM if LR is the Challenger (fuck hope not!!) :D

 

Considering it is a challenge based contest,  and the challengers organise and race amongst themselves to choose the boat most likely to win, then the challengers (or their representative the COR) should not make any agreement with the Defender that limits their ability to work together after they have selected the challenging team to put forward the best performance possible.

Equally it would be bad sportsmanship for any challenger, after being eliminated, to help the defender prepare for the Match. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zeusproject said:

When ETNZ AC 50 flipped . Poms were only ones to offer help . 

What help did they offer?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Some answers in just now 

BDC4BD84-05CF-4C22-AE23-C7742B72B978.thumb.jpeg.c910946c373389e99525a50608bb5c2f.jpeg20BAEBD7-F300-4B01-9528-CD326E1CB865.thumb.jpeg.4bac3ccddda811568764922370cb56e7.jpeg

This really sucks for the fans, they could of added more races or make them race Team New Zealand who could of stood in for AM. Of course selfish self interest has stopped this, but the popularity of the America’s Cup is going to be reflected in giving the public something to  watch. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Zeusproject said:

We’re offered help to fix if needing parts etc 

So it was more than just the tender going to help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mako23 said:

This really sucks for the fans, they could of added more races or make them race Team New Zealand who could of stood in for AM. Of course selfish self interest has stopped this, but the popularity of the America’s Cup is going to be reflected in giving the public something to  watch. 

If the Americas cup ever gets big in global terms it wont ever be held down under. It will become a battle of tv ratings and it being raced with biggest audience potential. I like the fact it is held anywhere but success could also ruin it for the likes of NZ and Australia.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zeusproject said:

Obviously BAR were not as bad a puppets as the rest . But now Larry has lost to his own rules he disappears back under his rock and sportsmanship returns . 

Since you are expressing opinions, kindly let us know what all assistance ETNZ requested from Race Management and other teams for pulling the boat up? And what assistance they requested and received for help later that night? Thanks, because otherwise it might as well be just more bollocks ;) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Since you are expressing opinions, kindly let us know what all assistance ETNZ requested from Race Management and other teams for pulling the boat up? And what assistance they requested and received for help later that night? Thanks, because otherwise it might as well be just more bollocks ;) 

Did I say they requested anything? 
offered and requested are not the same . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Since you are expressing opinions, kindly let us know what all assistance ETNZ requested from Race Management and other teams for pulling the boat up? And what assistance they requested and received for help later that night? Thanks, because otherwise it might as well be just more bollocks ;) 

Are you saying AM requested assistance from ETNZ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Forourselves said:

Are you saying AM requested assistance from ETNZ?

I have no idea if they did but given their predicament I’m sure all help was welcomed, THutch already said as much. 
 

Not taking anything from anybody but if you look at the aerials where the boat is basically sinking, out of 4 boats alongside I think 3 were Race Management boats. 

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Zeusproject said:

Did I say they requested anything? 
offered and requested are not the same . 

Okay genius, then what was offered and what was accepted? Where was your imaginary Evil Wolf in any of that incident? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

I have no idea if they did but given their predicament I’m sure all help was welcomed, THutch already said as much. 
 

Not taking anything from anybody but if you look at the aerials where the boat is basically sinking, out of 4 boats alongside I think 3 were Race Management boats. 

Sure if you say so.

 

Prada Cup: American Magic's AC75 survives crash, damage, and near-sinking  on the Hauraki Gulf - What's Up Newp

 

Patriot Games: The Grim Rise and Fall of American Magic | Newsroom

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

I have no idea if they did but given their predicament I’m sure all help was welcomed, THutch already said as much. 
 

Not taking anything from anybody but if you look at the aerials where the boat is basically sinking, out of 4 boats alongside I think 3 were Race Management boats. 

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-scary-scenes-as-team-nz-topple-capsize-into-the-great-sound/7NWB627JEL2SHPVBUJTVS2JFNY/

"Immediately after the NZ boat went over, Ainslie ordered his support craft to go back and help his opponents."

"We had a chat about it this morning with our support team - we had that discussion that if something goes wrong with the other boat, we'd stop and make sure we give every assistance we can."

The ACC boat was eventually towed to dock, with shore crew facing a long night of work, trying to get back on the water for tomorrow's schedule.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

I have no idea if they did but given their predicament I’m sure all help was welcomed, THutch already said as much. 
 

Not taking anything from anybody but if you look at the aerials where the boat is basically sinking, out of 4 boats alongside I think 3 were Race Management boats. 

Lol like I said the other day. You’re an idiot.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dullers said:

If the Americas cup ever gets big in global terms it wont ever be held down under. It will become a battle of tv ratings and it being raced with biggest audience potential. I like the fact it is held anywhere but success could also ruin it for the likes of NZ and Australia.

Lucky 1987, 2000 and 2003 weren't when the America's Cup was 'big in global terms'

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

The amount of revisionist history by some chip-on-the-shoulder Kiwis is amazing, it’s as if through repetition they can convince themselves that everything ever done in AC34 and AC35 was designed and done specifically to fuck ETNZ. Lmao! 

I don't think Larry particularly wanted to fuck ETNZ, Larry wanted to fuck anyone who stood in his way.. ETNZ happened to be the minnion who wouldn't behave ;)

I think Larry (& Russell / Oracle) actually did a lot of positive things for the sport and the AC as well as creating SailGP they have given avenues to a lot of top sailors to make their livelihood from the sport.

In the end Larry was just another Billionaire who tried to control the Cup, but the ghost of George Schuyler made sure that wasn't going to happen..

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, waterboy42 said:

I don't think Larry particularly wanted to fuck ETNZ, Larry wanted to fuck anyone who stood in his way.. ETNZ happened to be the minnion who wouldn't behave ;)

I think Larry (& Russell / Oracle) actually did a lot of positive things for the sport and the AC as well as creating SailGP they have given avenues to a lot of top sailors to make their livelihood from the sport.

In the end Larry was just another Billionaire who tried to control the Cup, but the ghost of George Schuyler made sure that wasn't going to happen..

All he did was downgrade the AC to the Little AC

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

Not taking anything from anybody but if you look at the aerials where the boat is basically sinking, out of 4 boats alongside I think 3 were Race Management boats. 

Can you point out the 3 race management craft rendering assistance.

a3ej2oc3nr9risolwizt.thumb.jpeg.d28496e3738edf271004c5e5b3b801d3.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, sailman said:

All he did was downgrade the AC to the Little AC

Personally I think SailGP is awesome, and very compatible alongside the AC,  but it is another One Design Series which is not what The Cup is about.

Hopefully (post Covid..) the two coexist and benefit each other.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Stingray is confusing Race Mgt boats which are actually the ETNZ big boats. As we were motoring back in after the race they both came out flat chat. Based on the photos they were bigger than anything else alongside and I'm sure were welcomed by AM.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

The amount of revisionist history by some chip-on-the-shoulder Kiwis is amazing, it’s as if through repetition they can convince themselves that everything ever done in AC34 and AC35 was designed and done specifically to fuck ETNZ. Lmao! 

Much of it was... #letsgetdalts, the Auckland regatta rescind, flaggate and blackballing ETNZ post capsize, IP theft and destruction, to name a few... But of course you already knew that, as does everyone else, so not sure your revisionist effort will accomplish much, as per usual.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, waterboy42 said:

I don't think Larry particularly wanted to fuck ETNZ, Larry wanted to fuck anyone who stood in his way.. ETNZ happened to be the minnion who wouldn't behave ;)

I think Larry (& Russell / Oracle) actually did a lot of positive things for the sport and the AC as well as creating SailGP they have given avenues to a lot of top sailors to make their livelihood from the sport.

In the end Larry was just another Billionaire who tried to control the Cup, but the ghost of George Schuyler made sure that wasn't going to happen..

Yep, Larry got bored with it after participating for 17 (!) years, so RC suggested a new venture post-AC35. All good. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Much of it was... #letsgetdalts, the Auckland regatta rescind, flaggate and blackballing ETNZ post capsize, IP theft and destruction, to name a few... But of course you already knew that, as does everyone else, so not sure your revisionist effort will accomplish much, as per usual.

Oh good grief! Some of you have ridiculously thin skins!

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jono said:

I think Stingray is confusing Race Mgt boats which are actually the ETNZ big boats. As we were motoring back in after the race they both came out flat chat. Based on the photos they were bigger than anything else alongside and I'm sure were welcomed by AM.

Yeah, maybe they were ETNZ big boats (despite ETNZ not being out there racing) instead of Emirates-branded RM boats, at least one of which ran around collecting marker bouys to help as flotation devices. 
 

Either way, all good but why all the indignant shots taken for some reason at LR and RC for any of it? That’s just more of the same juvenile trash talking from the usual fools around here :D 

54FB6B49-9498-4122-8744-36E9FD96D520.thumb.jpeg.472b26ceb6683f2371d65310a0d0ca0a.jpeg48365E54-303D-4414-8986-5B7D7D6D8690.thumb.jpeg.4bbc56da77e794bf55739d648b31b0bb.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dullers said:

If the Americas cup ever gets big in global terms it wont ever be held down under. It will become a battle of tv ratings and it being raced with biggest audience potential. I like the fact it is held anywhere but success could also ruin it for the likes of NZ and Australia.

Well sure, if your talking about "big on your side of the Atlantic" however I think you'll find the Pacific coast of the USA feels differently about it.

 

 

 

 

 

Doesn't really matter though since hardly anyone lives here.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

Yeah, maybe they were ETNZ big boats (despite ETNZ not being out there racing) instead of Emirates-branded RM boats, at least one of which ran around collecting marker bouys to help as flotation devices. 
 

Either way, all good but why the all indignant shots taken for some reason at LR and RC for any of it? That’s just more of the same juvenile trash talking from the usual fools around here :D 

We have all seen several dramatic videos on YT showcasing the scenes from last Sunday, What is fascinating is the "behind the scenes version of events". I can't wait for it being shared in a similar social platform. The comm's timeline, race management, crisis protocols and third party support processes of the event are unbelievable. We were minutes away from seeing a very different outcome. What the teams have done this week modelling their own boat weight and scenario planning is going to make a great chapter in the story of this cup.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zeusproject said:

Obviously BAR were not as bad a puppets as the rest . But now Larry has lost to his own rules he disappears back under his rock and sportsmanship returns . 

After the disastrous 1998 Sydney-Hobart race, Ellison said 'never again'. And that was despite Sayonara being ahead of the worst of the weather. To butcher a well known saying:

"When the going gets tough.... Ellison quits."

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

After the disastrous 1998 Sydney-Hobart race, Ellison said 'never again'. And that was despite Sayonara being ahead of the worst of the weather. To butcher a well know saying:

"When the going gets tough.... Ellison quits."

Smart choice by LE, he thought he and the crew were going to sink and f’ing die during that storm. 
 

Am no big fan of any $B’s beyond the late Paul Allen and his MS compatriot Gates (who has redeemed himself late in life) but LE is and was extremely, extremely ‘tough’ to hang in against those guys, technically and business-acumen-wise. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, WakaNZ said:

What the teams have done this week modelling their own boat weight and scenario planning is going to make a great chapter in the story of this cup.   

I almost wonder if the boats we saw going out today mastless might have been testing some new safety device, like a measuring rod for foil-torsion. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, waterboy42 said:

Personally I think SailGP is awesome, and very compatible alongside the AC,  but it is another One Design Series which is not what The Cup is about.

Hopefully (post Covid..) the two coexist and benefit each other.

The thing I like about SailGP, besides having 50 knot foilers, is that although it's one design they are continuously developing the class.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

The thing I like about SailGP, besides having 50 knot foilers, is that although it's one design they are continuously developing the class.

That, and there’s a full schedule of racing that includes almost any top foiling-sailor you can name. It’s like the ACWS series from the past two Cups but taken up even another notch. Good for the sport! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

That, and there’s a full schedule of racing that includes almost any top foiling-sailor you can name. It’s like the ACWS series from the past two Cups but taken up even another notch. Good for the sport! 

And we don't have to wait 3-4 years for something to watch. My armchair suffers from withdrawal syndrome.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

The thing I like about SailGP, besides having 50 knot foilers, is that although it's one design they are continuously developing the class.

That, and there’s a full schedule of racing that includes almost any top foiling-sailor you can name. It’s like the ACWS series from the past two Cups but taken up even another notch. Good for the sport! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Oh good grief! Some of you have ridiculously thin skins!

Given the likes of Regatta Recind was nearly fatal to ETNZ, the skins would need to be pretty thick mate...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dullers said:

If the Americas cup ever gets big in global terms it wont ever be held down under.

What a pile of shit, Dullers. Winner takes all, remember.

It has fuck all to do with TV ratings,  mega population, or global influence - as Australia, New Zealand and Switzerland have already proved.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites