• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having a race like that is why the committee was correct in postponing the race so many times. I think that the race was worth the wait.  Cheers to the Race Committee!

Semi Final Race 1 book is open - hit like for an AM win, dislike for LRPP.  Don’t sit on the fence now!

Please just stick to the facts and not your opinion.  You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how this all works.  The flu is down because of all the hand washing, social distancing, mask wearing,

Posted Images

1 minute ago, dullers said:

Or the Brits could gripe about the breakage but they wont.

Pretty hard to gripe about your own shit breaking.

Unless you are a pom of course...

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Gissie said:

Pretty hard to gripe about your own shit breaking.

Unless you are a pom of course...

Have they?  History will show they just got on with it....

It was a clear no penalty at the end, but that first luff early in the race looked awfully close to a penalty on Ineos to me. I don't think the umpires want to be too casual about how close these boats can get while doing 40 knots. 

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1
3 minutes ago, GSBTom said:

Good no penalty, though nice LR attempt at selling it. But yeah, best race of the series. Great fun...

You have to have absolute balls of steel to force a port / starboard penalty at those speeds. To get into the zone leaves only a second (if that) to avoid a collision. I don’t see how LR could have left it much later to alter course. It’s a pretty fine and potentially costly game to play. 

7 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Great race, so many lead changes. Pretty evenly matched boats. Shade better tactics from Ineos.

Might be better tactics but I also think we saw a boat speed advantage. 

4 minutes ago, Enzedel92 said:

The only team that hasn’t lost yet has only ONE PERSON IN CHARGE.    It’s not boat speed.  Get a clue LR and AM.

Dunno, given Ineos sailed further I recon boat speed might have helped a touch 

1 minute ago, idontwan2know said:

It was a clear no penalty at the end, but that first luff early in the race looked awfully close to a penalty on Ineos to me. I don't think the umpires want to be too casual about how close these boats can get while doing 40 knots. 

I’d have to rewind and go see, but at the time I thought Ineos kept clear, albeit barely. Good luff though, got Ineos to tack poorly, so the maneuver worked as designed.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Gissie said:

If they don't whine it will be a break with history. :P

Our History is pretty good. You even got our language as well. Is that an Aussie chip?

Watched the race from the starboard/Ineos feed. Bloody close race, Prada missed a shift/pressure at the end of the 5th leg. Shows what racing with a cleated cunningham is like. Ineos were losing maybe 100m per tack/gybe for pretty much all race. 

• Like 1

Wow - Phew - well that was worth waiting for. 9 lead changes, a nice Hollywood attempt right at the end. The speed of the green flag appearance from the umpires showed how close it really wasn't though.

INEOS now has a couple of weeks of development while Luna Rossa has a few races to prepare for.

Still too close to call the eventual Challenger.

See ya on the water

SS

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, mako23 said:

I wonder if they will agree to a practice race tomorrow, the cynic in me says unlikely 

At the presser on Friday they seemed keen for it, things may have changed though 

2 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

You have to have absolute balls of steel to force a port / starboard penalty at those speeds. To get into the zone leaves only a second (if that) to avoid a collision. I don’t see how LR could have left it much later to alter course. It’s a pretty fine and potentially costly game to play. 

Look at the replay and look at the wake track. LR clearly bore off to try and force the issue, and then headed up. However, that bear off costs speed, and while LR is altering UK is protected by 16, so there wasn’t a ton LR could do. LR played it about as best as they could. Just not close enough IMO.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, HawkeyeNZ said:

This better be a good race, they've cancelled The Chase for it...

I'll forgive them this time 

Just now, Filthy Phill said:

Ineos look faster. Def got wheels downwind.

Also with a Cunningham issue as well.  They could have been faster. I am beginning to think not only are they superb sailors but that INEOS is fast. Again any race with shifty win favours INEOS. I think Prada would have won if the wind had been steady because of the main sail problem.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, NSP said:

I also thought the luff was a penalty, but they probably got the gain anyway given Ineo fell off the foils and gave up a couple of boat lengths

It was definitely closer than the downwind Hollywood but don't forget Rule 15

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeNZ said:

At the presser on Friday they seemed keen for it, things may have changed though 

Early feedback is no racing tomorrow

Okay, now that I got my 1st post off my chest, the race itself was absolutely fantastic, & indeed I was shouting at the screen again.

Time to buy more of the E.W. (that's what the voice actor John Swasey calls it anyway).

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

It was interesting that INEOS were taking the ghost race start seriously and nailed it. Whereas when LR had their turn they were early and had to sail down the line.

I suppose they see it as another opportunity to train. Good attitude.

So the slow crappy shit box wins again... :lol:

the excuses for a Prada are mounting up, oh they missed a tack, oh the race was abandoned, oh they had the better side of the course, oh we are the fastest in light air, we are better in strong wind and waves... 

unless the boat they are racing retires or is timed out they seem a touch gun shy when it comes to crossing the line first and winning. 

I am expecting AM to fancy a bit of them when they come back 

• Like 2

So no racing tomorrow either according to Ben. I have to say as awesome the boats and racing turned out, the program sucks big time. Starting with no reserve day for the Christmas regatta, too short or too few races, no plan B if a boat gets damaged, and no rules to make boats come out racing. Knowing the generally shifty conditions, they could have come up with a better system to rearrange the course, too. Set up multiple upwind gates and identify the correct one 1 min before the start. You spend 300 million+ on a program for a couple of 20 min races started when everyone gave up watching due to delays. Disappointing.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Speeds up and down will be out of wack due to the cunningham issue as Ineos had to sail fast and low on the upwind and high and fast on the downwind leg.
I'd like to see the relative VMG's side by side.
Ineos certainly sailed a lot further.

• Like 2

Ineos: dedicated full time tactician and 1 helmsman

beats

Prada: Split helmsman and blown call by not lee bowing Ineos 

Plus it's always nice to be faster

21 minutes ago, GBR562 said:
I'd like to see the relative VMG's side by side 

The P/S cross shows how close the VMGs were - maybe half a second apart after 20+ minutes of racing. 

30 minutes ago, GBR562 said:

Speeds up and down will be out of wack due to the cunningham issue as Ineos had to sail fast and low on the upwind and high and fast on the downwind leg.
I'd like to see the relative VMG's side by side.
Ineos certainly sailed a lot further.

Both upwind and downwind performances were actually very close. Almost identical VMGs.

Upwind INEOS was a bit lower and faster:

1941772435_uwvmg.png.e80790c6ea26657e57722e73cefa0de6.png1774303245_uwtwa.png.6b41fc6df870d1ef23c12707ef86d996.png2074780921_uwbs.png.b103b8bb055c2843d1af547bc7a2bc97.png

Downwind INEOS was a lot higher and a lot faster (probably due to the cunningham), but still almost the same VMG as LR. However, last weekend they had much better downwind VMG than LR, so without the cunningham issue, they could have won by a much bigger margin I think.

1158253123_dwvmg.png.c3387b0ff7666cf1fdac67ed21950e1e.png2022745663_dwtwa.png.5cc80c2612d48115f7e686a745fbf3d4.png145461630_dwbs.png.760b2179b38401a2d962a10934d37529.png

Although there may be a bunch of issues with this "favored tack" analysis, but this is my favorite now for showing what made a difference during the race:

Once again, INEOS was far superior tactically:

favtack.png.09985034a6f05562926c03109477c35b.png

• Like 7

good one tonight but I don't understand the ghost race thing? you don't or can't race you lose

10 minutes ago, Benytoe said:

good one tonight but I don't understand the ghost race thing? you don't or can't race you lose

Yup.

The point of making them turn up for  a "ghost race" is that if they fuck their own boat then they don't get the point.

40 minutes ago, Benytoe said:

you also can't pull you boat for major mods...

Bottom mark rounding and instant tack was an epic manoeuvre.....lost hardly any speed. Created the split that LR thought they had prevented. When they came back together ineos had gained in the left in the same way as Jimmy had on the previous beat. Ineos did the whole race without their Cunningham something they would never have practised. And again tactically superior. Relieved that the umpires are treating the port starboards as being between the best sailors, not club sailors. Will always remember sailing in a fleet where 28ft boats were sailed within 3 ft of each other week in week out, only to have an international judge tell us we should be multiple boat lengths apart.....obviously this is completely different and today might be as close as you'd want to get, but still, good to see the grownups in charge. Amazing race.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

WOW! - just had a viewer number update in China. Just gone through 200,000  

Of 1.5 billion people. We had 100k viewers for a completely unknown motor racing grass root series in Germany (83m inhabitants). And that was deemed an incredibly low number. Still a loooooong way to go for sailing in China. 

Just now, kenergy said:

This class of boats is just boring. 

The races are just one boat getting in front and the other boat follows around. 

yep, 9 times in one race. Great stuff!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, kenergy said:

Time warp.

A lot has changed since the 12 metres, try to keep up.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, kenergy said:

What the fuck are you talking about, man? The lead changed 9 times. When did ever happen with fucking lead mines?

• Like 2

Bloody hell, what a great race for the AC75 class! I didn't think we'd see a race where the lead would change so much. This, is mostly due to the freakishly shifty and puffy winds down the track, and fairly even speeds and VMG capability from both boats. On the courses, I do not like them. Anyone who has sailed in Auckland knows, the North Head to the candy pole winds are often strange and unpredictable. I understand that they put the courses here for the spectators but, boy does it makes it tough for the sailors and a bit of a lottery at times. 

Ineos not racing tomorrow is bullshit. Sir Ben can use words like, "Put up or shut up" aimed at others but, doesn't have the balls to race in 20 knots as there's, "No reason to" shows what a pussy he is. 

Today, you could hear people at the Squadron rooting for Jimmy. Such is the love for Sir Ben. Never thought I'd hear that!

• Downvote 1
8 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

What the fuck are you talking about, man? The lead changed 9 times. When did ever happen with fucking lead mines?

Hook baited, thrown out and a whale was caught. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, jaysper said:

Yes, but they lost the race with 2 flubbed tacks.

I don’t think so. Those tacks were early in the race and after those bad tacks, LR led by a significant distance in the middle of the race. I believe Ineos were a bit off in the first part of the race as they learnt to sail with jammed on downhaul but once they worked out their modes, they came through by a mix of better tactics, better speed and better boar handling.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

Looked like a bare hook to me. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Redreuben said:
38 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

Looked like a bare hook to me.

Hook line and sinker. Like a blind whale. Fair play, @kenergy

:unsure:

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, SimonN said:

I don’t think so. Those tacks were early in the race and after those bad tacks, LR led by a significant distance in the middle of the race. I believe Ineos were a bit off in the first part of the race as they learnt to sail with jammed on downhaul but once they worked out their modes, they came through by a mix of better tactics, better speed and better boar handling.

Yes, but if they hadn't flubbed those tacks they would have had another 500m buffer to protect them.

58 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

You know I hate these boats SBD, but that was a great race today.

Its a shame the poms won cos now we have no racing 2moro.

6 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Yeah, Jays. A great race. I hope LRPP have the goods on AM, or my pick for the Challenger won't even make the finals! Too bad we have to wait to the end of next week to find out.

4 hours ago, thetruth said:

INEOS 50.29, PRADA 49.5 I think

I watched the race but did not see it. I presume it was while rounding the top mark.

34 minutes ago, jaysper said:

They can still race if they want? - training and for the spectators/organisers...fun.. OK saw the presser - rain and windy - no risktaking...

1 hour ago, Salty Seacock said:

Bloody hell, what a great race for the AC75 class! I didn't think we'd see a race where the lead would change so much. This, is mostly due to the freakishly shifty and puffy winds down the track, and fairly even speeds and VMG capability from both boats. On the courses, I do not like them. Anyone who has sailed in Auckland knows, the North Head to the candy pole winds are often strange and unpredictable. I understand that they put the courses here for the spectators but, boy does it makes it tough for the sailors and a bit of a lottery at times. 

Ineos not racing tomorrow is bullshit. Sir Ben can use words like, "Put up or shut up" aimed at others but, doesn't have the balls to race in 20 knots as there's, "No reason to" shows what a pussy he is. 

Today, you could hear people at the Squadron rooting for Jimmy. Such is the love for Sir Ben. Never thought I'd hear that!

"Never thought I would here that"  So every time the England rugby team play against someone who is not the ABs they don the white shirts? I have never heard of any Kiwi support a Brit in any sport. So stay salty cock.  BA raced and won the other day in those conditions.

1 hour ago, Salty Seacock said:

Take this race, and make it last for more like an hour or two? Please, please, not everyone has the attention span of an infant. 

Goddamm great race. Watched the port LR cam, and the TV coverage from. outside the boat doesn't do these things justice.

FB and JS both couldn't believe no penalties on the luffing and final port/stbd. From onboard they looked like cutting ITUK in two and had to evade I believe, even if liveline didn't show an impact happening. Umpires are allowing fucking fine margins for penalties and looks like actually shaving someone's designer stubble with a foil may be necessary to get a penalty. 

Comment of the day was JS urging the boys to "find the G Spot" on the downwind. :wub:

No racing tomorrow sucks. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, kenergy said:

Funny and you reeled in a few.

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

Goddamm great race. Watched the port LR cam, and the TV coverage from. outside the boat doesn't do these things justice.

FB and JS both couldn't believe no penalties on the luffing and final port/stbd. From onboard they looked like cutting ITUK in two and had to evade I believe, even if liveline didn't show an impact happening.

However from the helicopter coverage, it didn't look close.  I wonder if LR's penalty calls might be more effective if they weren't throwing them out for every slight chance of success.

• Like 4

Jimmy has the reek of desperation clinging to his smug, Red Bull infused corpse.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

What, in this context, are "hookups"?

Drugs or technical help with sail shaping. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nutta said:

Take this race, and make it last for more like an hour or two? Please, please, not everyone has the attention span of an infant. 

Exactly what I was thinking. A little more shadow chasing, match racing and hard crosses would have near given me a foot stomp and verbal inaudible outburst of noise akin to speaking in tongues. 

Like my coitus efforts, this was over all too soon and then it was time for a sandwich and a nap. 

• Like 2